Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Defenistrator posted:

Stupid Question for ya:

I'm starting up my own website where I want to write opinion posts about whatever I feel like. It's going to be something I want to run on the side as a hobby, but what are some things I need to be careful about in terms of wording things or publishing certain forms of opinions?
Just sounds like a blog, no-one's going to care. Don't threaten to kill the President or offer drugs for sale, I suppose. Other than that you're golden.

edit: My own stupid question: When did everyone start using the expression "wheelhouse"? I had no idea what it meant a month ago and now I'm hearing or reading it daily in the media. Was there one thing that set it off? Like an election speech or something?

Hoops fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Defenistrator posted:

Stupid Question for ya:

I'm starting up my own website where I want to write opinion posts about whatever I feel like. It's going to be something I want to run on the side as a hobby, but what are some things I need to be careful about in terms of wording things or publishing certain forms of opinions?

You can armchair-lawyer the Wikipedia article on Defamation, but the honest truth is that no one who matters is going to give a poo poo about your blog. Most people will also take into account the Streisand Effect - the article "Paul Ryan is a Chimpfucker" is going to get next to zero attention on the internet, but the article, "Paul Ryan Sues Independent Journalist Over Allegations of Chimpfuckery" is going to be an awfully big deal.

Burzum
May 14, 2005
Strapping Young Lad
I want to make a blog about being a recovering drug addict, and I'd like it to reach as many people as possible. Some blogs seem like they are all for making money/posting pictures/advertisements and I can not seem to figure out which one would be best for just interacting. I remember going to old music blogs before the social media explosion and people could comment after and a lot of wisdom was shared.

Which site should I use? There's so many goddamn options.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hoops posted:

edit: My own stupid question: When did everyone start using the expression "wheelhouse"? I had no idea what it meant a month ago and now I'm hearing or reading it daily in the media. Was there one thing that set it off? Like an election speech or something?

Here's a couple cites from 30 years ago:

I couldn't find earlier uses of the term in the sense of "it's suited to my abilities". Some discussion of the phrase here: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/11/21/buzzword-of-the-week-wheelhouse/

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Hoops posted:

Just sounds like a blog, no-one's going to care. Don't threaten to kill the President or offer drugs for sale, I suppose. Other than that you're golden.

It's really common in sports broadcasting. For example, a fastball right down the middle might be considered "in a hitter's wheelhouse," or a perfect pass to a hockey player for a one timer could be described as "right in his wheelhouse." I've been hearing it for years in that context.

My own question: I was flying out of Toronto this morning, and a security person grabbed me for a "random search" and patted down my chest, then rubbed some wand along my hands and my belt buckle and put it in a machine. Nothing happened and she sent me on my way. What the hell were they testing for?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawnie posted:

My own question: I was flying out of Toronto this morning, and a security person grabbed me for a "random search" and patted down my chest, then rubbed some wand along my hands and my belt buckle and put it in a machine. Nothing happened and she sent me on my way. What the hell were they testing for?
Bomb-making chemical residue.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gobbeldygook posted:

There are simply way, way too many packages coming into America for anyone to give a drat about some dudes failing to pay taxes on their tea.

Hey hey hey there, be careful, wars have been started over that kind of thing.

As an American who has had this done to me before, yeah you're good just mailing the thing, pay a little extra for postage but I've never had issues. I also loved the gift.

EDIT: Question, If I want honest gaming journalism, as in "people who aren't paid to do reviews," Where's a good site?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 26, 2012

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Now and then we hear news of discovery of human-like skeletons from a previously-unknown stage of the evolutionary chain, etc.

What I'm wondering is how often are remains found from periods already plotted out? 70k years ago, 100k years ago etc? Perhaps not notable, but still (astonishingly) old?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
How does "Movember" work? I get the concept (grow a mustache, raise money for prostate cancer research), but I don't understand the mechanics of it (and their awful website is no help). Where does the money come from? How does anyone know if I'm growing a mustache? I feel like I'm on the outside of a huge in-joke. :(

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Bucephalus posted:

How does "Movember" work? I get the concept (grow a mustache, raise money for prostate cancer research), but I don't understand the mechanics of it (and their awful website is no help). Where does the money come from? How does anyone know if I'm growing a mustache? I feel like I'm on the outside of a huge in-joke. :(

It's like Relay for Life or any other sort of fund-raising activity, as I understand it. I think you either join a team, or go yourself. You collect donations for the organizing body, and they take them. I suppose nobody knows that you're growing a mustache unless you see them regularly; but since you presumably took their donation, they probably will.

Their website isn't very helpful, but just picture it as a Relay for Life or a similar event: you pledge to do a thing, people donate money, it goes to a charitable organization.

I suppose whether or not you actually grow the mustache is on you, but collecting funds to do something and not doing it is its own shame, I suppose.

I certainly would not call it an in-joke, though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Thanks, I understand now; I didn't realize there was an Official Movember Organization sanctioning the whole deal. I just figured it was ~something you did~ of your own accord, outside of any organized movement.

I didn't mean to suggest it was a joke...I'm afraid I phrased that rather poorly.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Travakian posted:

Now and then we hear news of discovery of human-like skeletons from a previously-unknown stage of the evolutionary chain, etc.

What I'm wondering is how often are remains found from periods already plotted out? 70k years ago, 100k years ago etc? Perhaps not notable, but still (astonishingly) old?

Wikipedia has a list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils

I like graphs, so I plotted all 138 they have listed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron Bifford posted:

Human beings have a tendency to believe that other people think like they do. A person think somebody's odd behavior is due to unusual circumstances or misinformation, when in fact that somebody has a fundamentally different psychology, is driven by emotions and impulses that he does not share with the observer. You can see this sort of thing when you read a newspaper story about some grisly murderer or rapist and people ask "How can people do such things? I could never imagine doing them myself!"

What is the scientific term for this error in judgment?

Not exactly the same as what you're describing, but the fundamental attribution error is similar and interesting.

NESguerilla posted:

What seasons of the Simpsons are generally regarded as the funny ones? 3-8ish?

About the first ten. Where the start and end points are varies from person to person.

Hoops posted:

Do you definitely need to post some from here? I know basic English tea isn't drank by the gallon over there but I'd be surprised if some megastore Walmart wouldn't have a small variety of teas, and "English Tea" isn't one of them. Even if there's a "Breakfast tea", that's basically the same isn't it?

This actually reminds me of something I've been wondering about. In The Mentalist, Patrick Jane manages to get a cup of tea in pretty much every house they visit. How realistic is that? I've always heard that Americans generally don't drink tea, so it seems odd that everyone in the show apparently has tea on hand at all times.

Burzum posted:

I want to make a blog about being a recovering drug addict, and I'd like it to reach as many people as possible. Some blogs seem like they are all for making money/posting pictures/advertisements and I can not seem to figure out which one would be best for just interacting. I remember going to old music blogs before the social media explosion and people could comment after and a lot of wisdom was shared.

Which site should I use? There's so many goddamn options.

Blogger is pretty convenient and easy to use. You can use your Google account to sign in, so if you have Gmail (or another Google service) you already have an account, and you can use a few different sites' accounts to log in to post comments, so it should be pretty easy for people to respond to and discuss your posts.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

This actually reminds me of something I've been wondering about. In The Mentalist, Patrick Jane manages to get a cup of tea in pretty much every house they visit. How realistic is that? I've always heard that Americans generally don't drink tea, so it seems odd that everyone in the show apparently has tea on hand at all times.

I think coffee is more popular than tea here, but it's not like tea is some kind of exotic moondrink or something. I don't watch that program so I don't know the context, but I wouldn't think twice about an American having tea on hand.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Bucephalus posted:

Thanks, I understand now; I didn't realize there was an Official Movember Organization sanctioning the whole deal. I just figured it was ~something you did~ of your own accord, outside of any organized movement.

I didn't mean to suggest it was a joke...I'm afraid I phrased that rather poorly.

Yeah, the Official Movember Organization collects money for prostate cancer, and basically serves as a portal you can use to mass e-mail your friends/family, accept donations, and keep a photolog of your mustache's progress.

At my work, we're doing a non-sanctioned fundraiser where people put money into a pot, each participant grows a mustache, and then, at the end of the month, the winner picks a charity to donate all of the money to. I think it's kind of ridiculous to hold a "competition" where all of the competing is completely passive and determined via genetics, but, on the other hand, I will always get to pick where our money goes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

While we're on the subjects of Americans being horrible at tea, Douglas Adams wrote a short piece about just that: http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A61345

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What's the state of the art as far as hard drives goes?

Separately for 2.5" drives, and 3.5" drives.

and also separately for SSD drives.

(Thanks for that tip as well).

kapalama fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 26, 2012

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

kapalama posted:

Best Cost/ Size ratio for SSDs,

And separately for 2.5" drives, and 3.5" drives.

Check out the OP of the SSD Megathread, Alereon keeps it up to date and it has good info:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454120

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks, I'll stay with MP3s then, maybe in the future I'll just re-rip the discs.

It turns out Firefox has rolled out an update and cheerfully announced that Tab Mix Plus is no longer a valid add-on. And it blows, since I liked that. Is there a way to roll back? I suppose I could just wait for a new version of the add-on and the stop automated updates, but there is no way to check what add-ons will be working with Firefox before actually updating, is there?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Szurumbur posted:

It turns out Firefox has rolled out an update and cheerfully announced that Tab Mix Plus is no longer a valid add-on. And it blows, since I liked that. Is there a way to roll back? I suppose I could just wait for a new version of the add-on and the stop automated updates, but there is no way to check what add-ons will be working with Firefox before actually updating, is there?

Try installing this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nightly-tester-tools/

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

dokmo posted:

Wikipedia has a list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_evolution_fossils

I like graphs, so I plotted all 138 they have listed.

Ah, wow. This is fantastic, thanks-- wasn't sure what to look up to find detailed info as such. This is cool, much appreciated.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Tiggum posted:

I don't drink much tea, but I've always had it on hand. Americans drink plenty of tea, but we drink it iced. A lot of families around here have iced tea with their dinners, and every holiday meal or party or get-together has iced tea as a drink option, and every restaurant offers it as well.

It's hot tea that's less common, but if you've got tea, you can make it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Tiggum posted:

A lot of people have tea, but most people do not have good tea :colbert: Even restaurants do not always have lovely black tea in amongst their lovely herbals, so I don't think it's that realistic personally.

Most Americans who drink iced tea probably either buy it premade or buy it in powder form.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Szurumbur posted:

Thanks, I'll stay with MP3s then, maybe in the future I'll just re-rip the discs.

Open about :config
Right click and select 'New Boolean'
Add this 'extensions.checkCompatibility.17.0'
Set it to False

Restart Firefox

Now Firefox will stop checking if the addons aren't updated. Most of them work even if they aren't tested against the latest version, but ymmv.

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?

axolotl farmer posted:

Do you see something weird listed under Add-ons in Firefox or Extensions in Chrome? Anyway, you should run Spybot and Ad-Aware to see if you can get rid of it permanently.

Or it could be that the hotel wifi injects the banner into the HTML for every web page.

e: like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=047r_ihcLwY

That's the weird thing, I can't see anything at all that shouldn't be there. The only place it doesn't run seems to be on Google homepage and gmail, which makes me suspect it might be something to do with google.

I'll see what happens when I change hotel and if it's still haunting me I'll try Spybot/Ad-aware.

Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kapalama posted:

Separately for 2.5" drives, and 3.5" drives.

and also separately for SSD drives.

(Thanks for that tip as well).

You've got 2 choices in hard drives now, WD (with their recent Hitachi purchase) and Seagate (with their recent Samsung purchase). Toshiba exists as well, but they're so small they're practically irrelevant. Their reliability is about the same (despite whatever anecdotal evidence you hear) and they have similar speeds like 5400rpm for low-power drives and 7200rpm for high-performance drives. WD also offers a 10k Velociraptor drive but SSDs are the better option there.

HDDs are mostly on a steady march towards capacity increases. WD and Hitachi recently reached 4TB desktop drives, Seagate is just about there as well. Most of the advances in HDD tech are about cramming more space on the platter. WD recently announced helium filled drives that should be able to hit 6TB+ per drive in the future.

Both manufacturers are developing Hybrid drives now. Seagate's Momentus XT has been out for a while now while WD has recently announced OEM-only versions with retail release coming later I assume. These combine HDD with a flash drive in 8gb to 32gb capacity for caching of OS and frequently accessed files. These seem to be the future of HDDs where you're most likely to see SSD caching on every drive out there in a few years.

HDD development is all about more capacity in smaller packages. 5mm laptop drives are here now, and 4TB desktop drives are out and still increasing. SSD flash tech will find their way to all these drives eventually as well.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Open about :config
Right click and select 'New Boolean'
Add this 'extensions.checkCompatibility.17.0'
Set it to False

Restart Firefox

Now Firefox will stop checking if the addons aren't updated. Most of them work even if they aren't tested against the latest version, but ymmv.

Well now the Tab Mix works, but clicking on links open them both in a new tab and a current one, so it seems something doesn't quite mesh. Since this is more annoying then not using it, I guess I'll just have to wait until some good person updates the add-on. Thanks for all your help :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I need to find a charity in the USA that lets me directly donate to an individual handicapped child / the child's family. The relative whose will I am trying to execute specifically requested individual-level donation, and before her death, she outright asked me not to give to "a large charity like March of Dimes" when I took care of it.

I am having a lot of trouble finding suitable things. Anyone here have any ideas to point me in the right direction?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sundae posted:

I need to find a charity in the USA that lets me directly donate to an individual handicapped child / the child's family. The relative whose will I am trying to execute specifically requested individual-level donation, and before her death, she outright asked me not to give to "a large charity like March of Dimes" when I took care of it.

I am having a lot of trouble finding suitable things. Anyone here have any ideas to point me in the right direction?

I don't know much about that, but maybe the GBS thread "Let's collect money for Vilerat's family" (or something like that) would be of some help? It seems it would have to use a similar thing to what you're trying to find.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
read the news, there's always stories about handicapped kids. Find one and try to contact the family through that.

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005
Speaking of tea, I pretty much hate milk and never drink it except for in an occasional cup of tea on the weekend. Is there any acceptable substitute for milk in tea? Something I can just keep around for occasional use, that would last longer, like a non-dairy creamer would be for coffee?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tiggum posted:

Not exactly the same as what you're describing, but the fundamental attribution error is similar and interesting.
Interesting. In fact, I think it's in some ways the exact opposite of what I was thinking of. FAE is the tendency to think a person's behavior is down to his personality rather than his situation. I should probably read up on this, the semantics can get tricky.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

overseerbrian posted:

Speaking of tea, I pretty much hate milk and never drink it except for in an occasional cup of tea on the weekend. Is there any acceptable substitute for milk in tea? Something I can just keep around for occasional use, that would last longer, like a non-dairy creamer would be for coffee?

Coffee creamer works okay, yeah. It's heresy of course but sometimes you just can't keep milk around :\

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

overseerbrian posted:

See if you can find those little capsules of UHT milk like they have in cafeterias. It's not great but mixed into tea it's passable enough and has a shelf-life of like a year.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sundae posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/ has people making specific funding requests to help themselves or familymemebrs, you could try there.

The "Health" cause is a good start, there's a few kids in there who need wheelchairs and medical devices.

http://www.youcaring.com/ is the other site that the Vilerat SA fundraiser is on right now.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 26, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hoops posted:

See if you can find those little capsules of UHT milk like they have in cafeterias. It's not great but mixed into tea it's passable enough and has a shelf-life of like a year.

These are unbelievably hard to find. You can get half & half ones on Amazon (Mini Moos by Land'o'lakes) or Coffeemate ones, but I've never been able to find normal milk single-serve ones. If you have a source, let me know.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

overseerbrian posted:

Well, there's powdered milk which works quite well. Doesn't whiten as well as liquid milk though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

overseerbrian posted:

Firstly, milk lasts a lot longer than most people seem to think. The date printed on the bottle is an estimate and milk kept refrigerated will last a lot longer than that. If you've previously been relying on that to tell you when the milk should be thrown out, a better test is to smell it. Milk goes sour before it goes off, and sour milk tastes a bit odd but is completely harmless, so you can easily afford to keep milk until it starts to smell/taste weird. You'll also notice that it curdles more readily when it's started going sour (unless it's low-fat milk, which doesn't seem to in my experience).

If your milk really is going bad before you can use it all though, and you're already buying the smallest available amount, you could switch to UHT. It tastes slightly different but lasts longer. I don't know how available it is where you are, but I would assume that you'd be able to get something like the 1 litre cartons that are available here.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
About three days ago when bending over my lower back got really painful for a few seconds (pulled muscle?). Ever since then it's been mildly sore and stiff. Normally I wouldn't care and just go on with my life but I know a lot of people with F'ed up lower backs and don't want to become one.

Should I just ignore it for a week and see what happens or should I go see someone about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

KodiakRS posted:

About three days ago when bending over my lower back got really painful for a few seconds (pulled muscle?). Ever since then it's been mildly sore and stiff. Normally I wouldn't care and just go on with my life but I know a lot of people with F'ed up lower backs and don't want to become one.

Should I just ignore it for a week and see what happens or should I go see someone about it?

Go see someone about it :( I left mine for two weeks and then did various doctors and things and welp 3 months later it's still hosed up. Be really careful about lifting heavy things and twisting.