Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
People especially don't really care about stuff like single player gameplay like magimix tends to post about since nobody wants to actually replay ME3's campaign. Most of the chat still going is about the ending/storyline and it's the same stuff being said over and over. Multiplayer is still alive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The singleplayer progression is really rigid and while the combat is awesome (the reason why multiplayer is still a huge draw for me almost 9 months after release) the set pieces are pretty static and the game is far too easy on Insanity. After finishing Insanity on my Soldier I basically wrote off singleplayer except for when the DLCs came out, although I got pretty far with my imported Vanguard. I'm not even thinking about another another full ME3 game until all of the DLC is out so I can have some meatier side stuff to play with.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UnknownMercenary posted:

The singleplayer progression is really rigid and while the combat is awesome (the reason why multiplayer is still a huge draw for me almost 9 months after release) the set pieces are pretty static and the game is far too easy on Insanity. After finishing Insanity on my Soldier I basically wrote off singleplayer except for when the DLCs came out, although I got pretty far with my imported Vanguard. I'm not even thinking about another another full ME3 game until all of the DLC is out so I can have some meatier side stuff to play with.

It really is shocking how easy Insanity is once you have experience in multiplayer. Especially when you can take Liara with you and trivialize almost everything with her singularity.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
When I went back to play Leviathan I had some appreciation for how good multiplayer made me at the game/how easy Insanity is in comparison. Two Banshees at once should be really scary but it's just another day at the office if you've played multi (also if Garrus gets sync killed you can just revive him). Plus stuff like a single Atlas mech getting a big cutscene intro.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Viperix posted:

So I'm almost done with Arrival, and thus ME2, and I'm finding that each time I play Arrival I like it less and less.

It's not a very good DLC, it was made by a largely different team from the main game and the other extra content and it really shows.

There is one upside to it; everything from about the final encounter with Kenson to Harbinger's last line od dialogue is pretty good, but it's too little, too late and the absurdly hilarious bit where you jump onto the Normandy, siren called by the voice of a crewman you've never even met before and who doesn't even have a name, and then run up to a silent, stone-faced Joker is kind of an unfortunate punchline that spoils that scene, and the one that follows.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
Somehow against all odds I've managed to dodge EVERY spoiler about Mass Effect 3. I've just bought it for cheap now and I'm about to start playing, and just discovered I no longer have my Mass Effect 2 save, the mass effect 2 save depository place doesn't have a save perfect to what I want.

I'm wondering does Mass Effect 3 allow you to like fill out a little form or something at the begining of what you did, or does it assume you made all the loving stupid decisions like mass effect 2 did.

Might bite the bullet and download a save, but i'm worried I might be stook with a stupid looking character. Or can I edit the face anyway?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

d3c0y2 posted:

Somehow against all odds I've managed to dodge EVERY spoiler about Mass Effect 3. I've just bought it for cheap now and I'm about to start playing, and just discovered I no longer have my Mass Effect 2 save, the mass effect 2 save depository place doesn't have a save perfect to what I want.

I'm wondering does Mass Effect 3 allow you to like fill out a little form or something at the begining of what you did, or does it assume you made all the loving stupid decisions like mass effect 2 did.

Might bite the bullet and download a save, but i'm worried I might be stook with a stupid looking character. Or can I edit the face anyway?

It does not allow you to fill out a form, there is a fairly easy to use save editor available, however. Download a Mass Effect 2 save from the website and edit it to get the story beats you want. Yes, you can edit the face.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dan Didio posted:

It's not a very good DLC, it was made by a largely different team from the main game and the other extra content and it really shows.

There is one upside to it; everything from about the final encounter with Kenson to Harbinger's last line od dialogue is pretty good, but it's too little, too late and the absurdly hilarious bit where you jump onto the Normandy, siren called by the voice of a crewman you've never even met before and who doesn't even have a name, and then run up to a silent, stone-faced Joker is kind of an unfortunate punchline that spoils that scene, and the one that follows.

It had a potentially interesting premise and a consequence that should have been very important. Sadly, not only was it a lackluster tack-on to the story that should have been told before, it had absolutely no impact on MEIII beyond one or two guys glossing over it all. (Can't spare a moment for Shepard to reflect on genocide when she could obsess over some kid, after all.)

If it had been included in the game originally and been better developed instead of tossing in the single most important event possible as weak DLC, it'd have been a great way to cap off the storyline. Unfortunately, it was just an afterthought cooked up to bridge the gap to the big war that fell on its face.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Bit of a longshot here, but Masseffect saves didn't have a save that quite matched what I'd like to go into 3 with.

Do any of you guys have a PC save with the following stuff:
Renegade all the way through, all possible alien races killed/made extinct.
ME 1:
Romanced Ashley
Chose Kaidan and killed Wrex on Virmire
ME 2:
Romanced Miranda and Kelly
Continued to be a jerk and make everything possible go extinct
Kept all of the crew alive and finished the final mission with 0 casualties.

E: Male if it wasn't obvious.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

magimix posted:

More people need to post in this thread :argh:
Ok, then: When is it safe to charge Banshees? I asked that earlier, but it got buried under ME4 speculation, I guess.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

MuLepton posted:

Ok, then: When is it safe to charge Banshees? I asked that earlier, but it got buried under ME4 speculation, I guess.

It's never really safe, but it usually works out alright if you charge them while they don't have their biotic bubble thingy up. If you're charging them while that thing's up and they're warping around, you'll get instakilled 99% of the time after the charge connects, but if they're merely walking around without the bubble, you can usually charge and use the dodge roll to roll back and run away again safely.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
I thought it was pretty much always safe to charge them, just make sure to immediately back up so you move out of their melee range. So charge, move back, then nova, repeat.

Just make sure that you weren't in melee range before you charged them, otherwise they might have already begun their melee attack, and you'll charge right into it.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

dwazegek posted:

I thought it was pretty much always safe to charge them, just make sure to immediately back up so you move out of their melee range. So charge, move back, then nova, repeat.

Just make sure that you weren't in melee range before you charged them, otherwise they might have already begun their melee attack, and you'll charge right into it.
I guess I'll have to try that. In the cases when I got insta-killed after charging them (when they probably had their bubble up, thanks Burning Mustache), it always seemed like there wasn't any time between the Charge ending and them killing me; I didn't try to move though, I tried to Nova straight away.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

I've had the unfortunate luck of biotic charging them and being given a hand through the chest instantly even when I was most of the map away. Of course that was on multiplayer at launch so maybe they've fixed it since.

Regardless always treat banshees with a degree of caution. Singleplayer does tend to make autosaves before you have an encounter with them so you should be fine with trial and error.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Unclouded posted:

I've had the unfortunate luck of biotic charging them and being given a hand through the chest instantly even when I was most of the map away. Of course that was on multiplayer at launch so maybe they've fixed it since.

Nope! :I

Heck, people report being grabbed and instakilled out of mid-air for just charging past a Banshee sometimes (in practice you'll be magically dragged back from whatever target you charged and towards the Banshee at which point the grabbing animation will start).

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Playing a new Shepard through all three games to get a straight through experience, now up to Mass Effect 3. I'm noticing new quests and things I glossed over in my first couple playthroughs. For one, I never talked to Vega or Cortez really, so I'm just now getting their character stuff. Plus I'm looking for conversations on the Normandy every chance I can, saw some ones I hadn't before, like talking to Garrus and Joker in the CIC. Also, Doctor Conrad Verner? His sidequest in the third game is like a massive callback to the first game.

One more thought: Mordin's storyline and character arc is loving amazing. His loyalty mission in Mass Effect 2 and the genophage cure missions in 3 have been the best parts of the series on every playthrough.

Plus, now that I'm nicely into the third game, playing the new Omega DLC when it comes out should be relatively simple.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Trip Report: I really liked Leviathan, some really good stuff, although some of the combat stuff was a bit flat. Impressed they had the whole cast back for this one.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Trip Report: I really liked Leviathan, some really good stuff, although some of the combat stuff was a bit flat. Impressed they had the whole cast back for this one.

I'm pretty sure the reason why the whole cast is back in Leviathan is because they had no choice but to bring them back for the EC and Leviathan was recorded at the same time. Omega, in comparison, will have no appearances from the main squaddies at all. I'm still looking forward to Aria and Nyreen though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason why the whole cast is back in Leviathan is because they had no choice but to bring them back for the EC and Leviathan was recorded at the same time. Omega, in comparison, will have no appearances from the main squaddies at all. I'm still looking forward to Aria and Nyreen though.

That makes sense. Forgot about that.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
So they've confirmed we can't bring any squadmates with us? Because an Omega where you can't bring Garrus with to tear poo poo up isn't an Omega worth having. :colbert:

Also I just started Yet Another ME3 Playthrough, and I didn't realize how much I missed the psychotic pinball from hell that is the ME3 Vanguard. :black101:

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I still kind of enjoy Arrival each time I do it at the very end of a ME2 playthrough. The story and environments are all pretty bleh, but I just found it fun to do a big challenging solo mission with this character I've spent the whole game leveling, building up, and getting the optimal equipment for, complete with endless hoards of mooks shouting "Shepard won't go down!"

It always felt like a big accomplishment to make it through all the optional enemies in the big arena area, before the reaper artifact knocks you out. It is definitely the worst ME2 DLC though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Blastedhellscape posted:

It is definitely the worst ME2 DLC though.

I'd say it's the worst Mass Effect DLC ever, but I recently plated through Pinnacle Station and goddamn.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I'd say it's the worst Mass Effect DLC ever, but I recently plated through Pinnacle Station and goddamn.
Yeah, Pinnacle Station is the only Mass Effect DLC that I only played once and didn't touch on subsequent playthroughs.

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but drat, trying to hijack an Atlas is a pain. I tried it yesterday repeatedly on the first one that shows up at Grissom; even when the canopy shattered with half of the Atlas' health remaining, the thing exploded when I tried to kill the pilot (yes, there were still other enemies around) :(.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Viperix posted:

So they've confirmed we can't bring any squadmates with us? Because an Omega where you can't bring Garrus with to tear poo poo up isn't an Omega worth having. :colbert:

Afraid so, Aria and Nyreen will be your squadmates for the Omega missions. They look like fun to use, at least - they're basically a Vanguard and a Sentinel, but in the old-school ME1 sense. I'd like to have Garrus as well, but hey. We get to fight Adjutants too.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pinnacle Station would be great DLC if ME1 had ME3 combat.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

MuLepton posted:

Yeah, Pinnacle Station is the only Mass Effect DLC that I only played once and didn't touch on subsequent playthroughs.

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but drat, trying to hijack an Atlas is a pain. I tried it yesterday repeatedly on the first one that shows up at Grissom; even when the canopy shattered with half of the Atlas' health remaining, the thing exploded when I tried to kill the pilot (yes, there were still other enemies around) :(.

I've found the best place to do it is on Eden Prime after you get Javik (are we still spoilering stuff like this?) - provided you got the Day 1 / From Ashes DLC.

Anyway, an Atlas drops at the very end of the fight and it's easy to direct your squad to stay holed up in the buildings. There's a ladder up to the top of the little research base and from there you can take pot shots at the Atlas' cockpit without being in much danger yourself (it can't pivot high enough to hit out) and your team mates don't run the risk of popping it before you can hop in and take a ride.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Pinnacle Station would be great DLC if ME1 had ME3 combat.

It wouldn't be great by any means, it would just be generic and bland.

It would, at the very least, not be completely terrible to play.

I know some people stand by Mass Effect 1's combat and I'd always thought it had a certain charm, but playing through the game again has cured me of that notion, it really is terrible.

Clunky, turgid aiming, the grenades detonate inconsistently and often result in you wasting a second one while trying to blow them up. The AI is terrible through and through and the squad commands are completely pointless. Which is all without mentioning the enourmous balance issues present in the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dan Didio posted:

and the squad commands are completely pointless.

Ashley_walking_into_lava.gif

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Also, Doctor Conrad Verner? His sidequest in the third game is like a massive callback to the first game.
Your encounter with him in ME3 is completely ludicrous from beginning to end and it just might be the best sequence in the entire game.

Blastedhellscape posted:

I still kind of enjoy Arrival each time I do it at the very end of a ME2 playthrough.

[snip]

It is definitely the worst ME2 DLC though.
Surely Firewalker's worse, even if it's free.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The combat in arrival is at least better than Shadowbroker, which is practically Dragon Age 2 in how every encounter is just enter room - waves of enemies spawn

Firewalker's easily the worst, though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Surely Firewalker's worse, even if it's free.

Hating Firewalker right now just for the fact that the Hammerhead doesn't scale in health at higher levels. Should not have saved it until I was level 25.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Firewalker's fine and the Hammerhead's great fun. Some nice scenery, nothing too offensively bad about the design or writing, nice little unique slice of gameplay.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'd say the Hammerhead apparently having the same amount of health at level 1 and level 30 while enemies do more damage is pretty poor design.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Veotax posted:

I'd say the Hammerhead apparently having the same amount of health at level 1 and level 30 while enemies do more damage is pretty poor design.

The Hammerhead's health is inconsequential, it's strength is in it's mobility. I've done that quest chain at level 1, 5, 30, and about six others in between and never had much trouble with it.

Prioritize the highest damaging targets, use the jump-jets and strafe.

If you're getting hit, that's not on the hammerhead, that's on you.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hammerhead is the best DLC because you can do those in order to get the Collector Ship Ambush mission to trigger faster, so you can get that sweeeet Widow Sniper Rifle/Revenant/Extra gun slot to enjoy the rest of the actual missions with.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Hammerhead is the best DLC because you can do those in order to get the Collector Ship Ambush mission to trigger faster, so you can get that sweeeet Widow Sniper Rifle/Revenant/Extra gun slot to enjoy the rest of the actual missions with.

Assault Rifle Training on things that aren't soldiers. Everytime, all the time.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Dan Didio posted:

Prioritize the highest damaging targets, use the jump-jets and strafe.

If you're getting hit, that's not on the hammerhead, that's on you.
Apart from one or two particular enemies, there's not even any reason to prioritise/jump-jet/strafe - just hang back outside their visual range and click until they explode.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Sombrerotron posted:

Apart from one or two particular enemies, there's not even any reason to prioritise/jump-jet/strafe - just hang back outside their visual range and click until they explode.

That also works, yeah. Most of the missions give you more than enough length in the areas to just snipe away at the enemies with impunity.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
In Overlord you didn't really have to fight anything in the Hammerhead either, turrets would pop up but you could just jet right past them and there were a few mechs in optional areas. I hated that thing so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The Hammerhead could have been great if it had been in the main game to begin with. Unfortunately, it was just put in some DLC and really sticks out as just an afterthought with it's nonexistent HUD, limited level design, and tissue paper armor.

It was one thing I really expected to see improved in ME3, but it was sadly eaten by the deadline monster.

• Locked thread