Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Tamir Lenk I know you're pretty humble about your work but your gs looks great. You gotta do a Cooley style chin fairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1979 CB650 Team, go!

Today I purchased a completely new set of tires and had them mounted, and put on a new (to me) brake disc. Once the picture hits my dropbox I'll upload it here, but it's about 50% thicker than the worn-out one. After I finished mounting the tires and aligning them, I fixed the choke setup on the carbs; the PO had apparently ignored/was too lazy to put back the three springs that operate the choke flaps properly, and he instead used safety-wire to bind it all together. I have NO CLUE how I missed this the last three times I had the carburetors off. Fixed his bodging, re-wound the springs in the proper fashion, and got everything hooked up.

Then I took it out for a test drive, and while the new tires are awesomeo, the bike was way down on power. Turns out the right-side coil that runs cylinders 2 and 3 is dead, with a giant crack down its side. :eng99: Who knew leaving a cracked-open coil without the protective cover of a gas tank in the rain for two days would cause internal corrosion? :smith:. My repaired choke proved itself, though, because I got the bike started very quickly, after sitting for two days in the cold and rain, on only two cylinders. :unsmith: Before, it would be minutes and minutes of cranking and starting fluid and such because of the dysfunctional choke.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
1979 CB650 Team, combine into Mecha-Soichiro!

Planning on buying a filter and some oil today but I'm not entirely sure what to go with. The general consensus seems to be 20W50 non-synth?

Geirskogul posted:

Today I purchased a completely new set of tires....

...the new tires are awesomeo...

What did you go with? I'm having trouble finding a good equivalent modern-sized tyre.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I went with the same tire I have on my Enfield (in a different size - the Enfield runs dual 19s) - the Kenda K761. They're excellent in the wet and slight snow/leaf, street, and also on slight gravel or packed dirt. Tread life is also excellent, as I've got about 5k on the pair on my Enfield and they're still probably at 70% tread (though the Enfield is about 200 pounds lighter than the 650). I also like the nice lean angle I can get with them for a cheaper tire. I know the rear is 120/90-17, and I'm pretty sure the front is 100/80-19 or 110/80-19. And yes, they're a 4-ply Nylon tire, but despite the older design, they're really quite durable. Be aware, though, that the "tube" and "tubeless" tires are actually 100% identical, tire bead/reinforcement and all. A Kenda rep themselves said that the only reason for the distinction is that some shops won't put a tube in a TL-labeled tire. I initially bought the tires on recommendation of an ADV rider a few years ago, and they've served me well, so I thought I'd offer Kenda another slice of my wallet. The local motorcycle shop even mounted/balanced them for me for free, even though I bought them from a different, non-mounting parts shop. Cool guys.

For oil, I bought some 20w-50 non-synth Rotella, and it has worked well so far.

I kind of wish you didn't have dual front discs, or I'd send you my extra caliper. You'd be amazed (or not) at the number of compatible parts between the Hawk 400T and this, despite years and an engine design separating them.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 22, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

-2/+1 520 kit.

I'm starting to like the bike. :unsmith:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 24, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
New brake pads on the SV650 today. I don't really tinker around with my bike too much because it doesn't ever need anything, so it always cracks me up how easy everything is to do.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Team 1979 CB650 form of: Busted Motorcycle

Finished fitting and adjusting of luggage rack, nursed the right-side coil into useability (still cuts out occasionally, but still very rideable), and fitted a fuel filter. Small album here, though note that the first pic is of my Royal Enfield fuel tap, don't know why that's in there.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
What is the headlight off of?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ebay H4 assembly with LED halo. I bought a pair and put them on both of my motorcycles. I think they look better than stock, but then again, I'm crazy, so...

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

Ebay H4 assembly with LED halo. I bought a pair and put them on both of my motorcycles. I think they look better than stock, but then again, I'm crazy, so...
I'm with ya. I'm looking at something similar for a '74 cb450 which probably won't be finished for another year.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Geirskogul posted:

Picz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Ooh, I kind of want one of those. Swap in a 35-watt H4 and yeaaaaaaah. Are the LEDs more bluish or more yellowish? Would prefer the yellowish side if possible.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
- Determined that I really do need to buy the hella expensive Genuine Buell Throttle Idle Cable as my home-brew replacement experiments just won't cut it, the Buell wire is super, super flexible so it can make some whack corners

- Fixed a bunch of chafing wires. Horn and lighting wires has worn through their insulation against the flyscreen, bunch of sensor wires were chafing on the heads. Really the engineering on this thing's pretty bad.

- Replaced spark plugs with iridium ones, and that includes this bastard

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Figured out why I've been having a slight pull to the right under braking: looks like the front end's not straight; as in, the bars are turned to the right while riding straight. Chain looks like it's aligned properly (given I've not had to adjust for ages it should be) so gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and get them to loosen the clamps off and straighten it up. No idea how they'd have gotten tweaked though, I've not dropped it and I can't see any scratches/marks/dents where it might have gotten knocked over :iiam:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Support the front end and loosen up the triple bolts to see if it pops back into alignment?
I just noticed that my left fork sits 1mm higher in the triple than the right; everything is straight and apparently this is considered within spec.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Unfortunately my front stand 1) doesn't have a headstock adapter (lost it) and 2) is buried at the back of my shed. My local shop is pretty good though, if they're quiet they'll usually sort little things on the spot for ~$20 so might as well get them to do it.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 25, 2012

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I changed the oil in my Firebolt and prepped it for winter storage. I'm taking the muffler off to repaint, and then I need to figure out how to wash all the road salt off everything while it's only in the low 40s out.

Also, there is no way I would buy the Harley oils if I wasn't getting a discount. Such as rip off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

I changed the oil in my Firebolt and prepped it for winter storage. I'm taking the muffler off to repaint, and then I need to figure out how to wash all the road salt off everything while it's only in the low 40s out.

Also, there is no way I would buy the Harley oils if I wasn't getting a discount. Such as rip off.

Well you have to pay a premium for imperial instead of metric oil.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Trying to get to the electrics to trace the neutral switch fault, as well as replace the front indicators.

The screws are stripping like they've had an abusive childhood, and none of the usual elastic band etc tricks are working. WTF are the screws made out of, it seems to be happening to half and the other half are fine.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

Trying to get to the electrics to trace the neutral switch fault, as well as replace the front indicators.

The screws are stripping like they've had an abusive childhood, and none of the usual elastic band etc tricks are working. WTF are the screws made out of, it seems to be happening to half and the other half are fine.

Hammer in an allen head socket, attach impact driver and hope for the best? tough to slot those without cutting the panel.

Coppaslip on the replacements should prevent that happening again.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Saga posted:

Hammer in an allen head socket, attach impact driver and hope for the best? tough to slot those without cutting the panel.

Coppaslip on the replacements should prevent that happening again.

Can you explain that first bit again, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding it. Sorry.

Meant to post it in other thread after I realised I was more asking for advice. Durr. Oh well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Hot water, bucket & sponge.

Ps that's a great looking bike! Dunno if you've posted it before.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wootcannon posted:

Can you explain that first bit again, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding it. Sorry.
Use some allen sockets for use with a ratchet, rather than just an allen key for use by hand. Find one slightly larger than the hole in the bolt head and force it in there with a hammer. Or torx sockets. Then use a hammer-powered impact driver to loosen it up.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Use some allen sockets for use with a ratchet, rather than just an allen key for use by hand. Find one slightly larger than the hole in the bolt head and force it in there with a hammer. Or torx sockets. Then use a hammer-powered impact driver to loosen it up.

Thanks. My phone posting sucks. No jokes please.

Shouldn't need the impact driver for teeny fairing bolts, but might be a good call if you suspect years of corrosion plus maybe some misguided PO use of glue or high-strength loctite. It's weird because they don't usually stick badly enough to strip unless your allen key is severely hosed or the bolt head is full of dirt.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Thanks. My phone posting sucks. No jokes please.

Shouldn't need the impact driver for teeny fairing bolts, but might be a good call if you suspect years of corrosion plus maybe some misguided PO use of glue or high-strength loctite. It's weird because they don't usually stick badly enough to strip unless your allen key is severely hosed or the bolt head is full of dirt.

Or if they're apparently made of mercury, like some bolt heads I've encountered.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

kenny powerzzz posted:

Tamir Lenk I know you're pretty humble about your work but your gs looks great. You gotta do a Cooley style chin fairing.

If I ever got a 2d bike, it would probably be an old GS1000 to make into a Cooley replica. The real Cooley models are hard to find and spendy.

A Cooley fairing on a cafe bike seems out of place.

The half-fairing is my one special torture though. Looks only a little different from a 1/4 fairing, but is a 1,000 times more of a PITA to make, mount, etc.

Spent most of the weekend laying some glass and forming the plug for the windscreen. There is a lot more sanding in my future.

Of course, all that sanding is a pretty good workout. Sort of like the Karate Kid, but for masturbating. I am a (self) lover, not a fighter.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Where's the rear cyl oil seep? :colbert:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Where's the rear cyl oil seep? :colbert:

Hey, they fixed it for the 2008 model year: black cylinders.

My Lightning had the busted rear rocker cover gasket, didn't leak past the head fins (had to peer into the side scoop to see it) but it was in the process of gumming up the fan.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sounds about right. We did that to my friend's 07 Uly. He killed a fan before replacing the gaskets. Seemed daunting before we started but it was just a big list of little simple things.

Mine is coming from the base of the cyl which is a bit more of a project to correct.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Been painting my new track bike...

Sneak preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpd0iv7t7J4

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
At least someone is still willing to prove their commitment to sparkle motion.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I got a call from the shop with my DRZ today. Spark is good, Fuel delivery is good, valves are good, timing is good and all the electricals check out... Only thing left is rings, a nicked valve seat or scoring on the piston wall. A big bore kit might be in my DRZ's future...

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I got a call from the shop with my DRZ today. Spark is good, Fuel delivery is good, valves are good, timing is good and all the electricals check out... Only thing left is rings, a nicked valve seat or scoring on the piston wall. A big bore kit might be in my DRZ's future...

Did you not check compression already? A quick dry then wet compression test would tell you if that is the problem and whether it is from rings or valves.

Also, why would the shop call you to say everything else is OK without doing a compression test first. The information they did supply indicates that they are about 15 minutes away from knowing if it will be an expensive fix or a super expensive fix.

Maybe they plan on loving you more?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Tamir Lenk posted:

Did you not check compression already? A quick dry then wet compression test would tell you if that is the problem and whether it is from rings or valves.

Also, why would the shop call you to say everything else is OK without doing a compression test first. The information they did supply indicates that they are about 15 minutes away from knowing if it will be an expensive fix or a super expensive fix.

Maybe they plan on loving you more?

I did a bunch of work on the bike and after the 8th carb rebuild/valve job I started to worry I had screwed something up. I don't have a compression tester and the one I rented didn't fit down into the spark plug hole. It's on my list of "tools to own". I asked them to double check all of my work, so I'm the reason they did that. I like and trust this shop, I know the owner/operator pretty well and am not worried about being hosed over.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thread: 1979 CB650:

Got my new [old] coils in the mail today, replaced the cracked, old ones on the 650. The bike now starts up reliably (funny how it does that when all four cylinders fire), and I'm confident after a few test rides today that I can hand it off to my fiancée for us to ride together, after her bluetooth-enabled helmet (and my bluetooth module) come in.

Old and busted:

New hotness

And now, what is this we're doing?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Thread: 1979 CB650:

And now, what is this we're doing?

You going to rebuild those carbs? Or dropping the airbox in favor of pods or stacks?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I did a bunch of work on the bike and after the 8th carb rebuild/valve job I started to worry I had screwed something up. I don't have a compression tester and the one I rented didn't fit down into the spark plug hole. It's on my list of "tools to own". I asked them to double check all of my work, so I'm the reason they did that. I like and trust this shop, I know the owner/operator pretty well and am not worried about being hosed over.

Unless you have a really oddball spark plug hole, you should be able to pick up a compression tester for cheap that fits 12mm or 14mm plug holes.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3615-OH...pression+tester

That one should cover all your needs.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Unfortunately my front stand 1) doesn't have a headstock adapter (lost it) and 2) is buried at the back of my shed. My local shop is pretty good though, if they're quiet they'll usually sort little things on the spot for ~$20 so might as well get them to do it.

Who do you go to? Always good to know a good mechanic in the area?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aargh posted:

Who do you go to? Always good to know a good mechanic in the area?

SMW on Euston Rd http://www.thebikeshop.com.au/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cool. Know them too. I used to take my GS500 there all the time but since I've had my KTM I've tried a couple of dealers (both procycles and some place in rockdale, both poo poo). Next service I'll probably go back to SMW.