Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Weird, didn't notice that didn't have the game on the top, it's Bases Loaded!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bases_Loaded

^ Yeah, Jaleco NES games are a bit annoying to identify thanks to that. :shobon:

I may be interested in some of your carts though, I'll shoot you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Been going through a bunch of stuff in the attic, and I found my old NES and some games. Trying to just clear out a bunch of stuff so was just going to get rid of it, but since there are a bunch of games and it seems to be in working order, I figured maybe it was worth selling. Checked out the forums and lo and behold this thread would probably be best able to answer what, if anything, this stuff is worth! Everything's dusty, but I'm sure easily cleanable.

Any suggestions? Is this something that I could just throw on SA-Mart, or EBay? If so, any idea how much?
Once cleaned up, along with the cables and one or two controllers, front loader NESes usually go for around $20. You can get a general idea of the prices of the games using Video Game Pricing Guide. Prices can easily fluxuate, so it's good to use it as a general reference rather than pricing everything directy from them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That is a pretty solid collection of games, though. Much better than what I had when I was 12.

e: Actually, my 12-year-old self's collection of games wasn't that bad, it was mostly docked points being small and for having some really bad, dull or irritating games in there. Back to the Future? Destination Earthstar? Ugh.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Hey if you're thinking of building that retro arcade stick for mame/whatever Focus Attack is having a pretty decent sale starting now and ending monday night.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I want to talk about my personal favourite Mega Drive game,
Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96.

When I first hired this game as a kid, I'd played Micro Machines games before. But not like this.

The graphics are better than all the other versions of Micro Machines on the Mega Drive except probably Micro Machines Military. Compared to Micro Machines 1 especially, there's a lot more detail:
pre:

Micro Machines 1                 Micro Machines TT 96
I own this game now and it's still just as awesome. There are tons of different vehicles including extra-small cars that drive on a toy road system that includes AI cars crossing at intersections. There's a track editor which lets you use most of the basic content in the game and save your tracks.

But the best feature is that it's a J-Cart so you can plug in four controllers total. And with those four controllers, you can have eight players. Two players per controller. I've only played with eight players a couple of times. It's insane(ly awesome). All cars automatically accelerate so you can only steer and brake. One player has the three buttons and the other has down and left/right on the d-pad. I think Micro Machines 2 had this feature as well.

If you're not familiar with how Micro Machines' racing works, the way it works is that all players are racing on one screen, and you get a point when you get a whole screen ahead of someone else, while they lose a point. You either get several points ahead to win, or complete three laps and have more points than them at the end. If it's a draw when you cross the finish line, the next point wins.

The system already works brilliantly because as you get further ahead, you also see less ahead of you, automatically balancing the game. Places to fall into the abyss are everywhere, and pushing other players off is an easy way to get ahead and get points (as long as you can avoid falling off yourself).

When you have more than two players racing, as cars lose points they're eliminated until only two are left. When one gets a point, all cars are allowed back.

With eight players, people are flailing around and falling by the wayside constantly. You're lucky if you can even work out which car you are in the first few seconds. Collisions with other players are actually disabled while there are more than four cars on-screen. As people get knocked out, collisions are enabled, then disabled again when the others return.

I'd like to say this was done for gameplay reasons because it'd be even more chaotic if everyone was smashing into each other, but it's at least as likely that they just didn't have the processing power in the Mega Drive's poor 7.67MHz, because with eight cars on-screen the game still runs at about 1fps with similar lag to the input, making everything even more insane.

Unfortunately the eight-player tracks are special tracks and there are only a small selection of them, but it's still the best party game you'll ever play.

Nition fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 26, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Hey man like other people in this thread say; they'd rather it go to a happy home then to someone who is just going to flip it on eBay. I bought it, thought I'd use it, and didn't because I found I didn't care for scanlines/could use the scanlines in my XRGB Mini. I literally was happier giving it to you for free than selling it.

Well I appreciate it. I'm thinking about digging out one of my old CRTs in my garage and doing... something with it and this, hell if I know what. It looks snazzy on my LCD for now, for sure. Mmmmm, Gradius V and scanlines. :fappery:

quote:

The noise issue on the HD Box: can you describe what it looks like a bit?

Rolling "waves" of noise. Here's what I shot of the Wii doing it:

Just shot this in HD Loader on the PS2:

It's way worse in person. Each of those little dots is moving in a wavy pattern up the screen. Plus, the image has started randomly jumping/freaking out here and there. I think the consensus before was a possible power supply issue, and here's what it looks like:

Do I just need a better 5v 2a power supply?

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 26, 2012

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
A really lovely power supply could possibly do that. It's a little pricey, but I use this with my Framemeister and it puts out very clean power.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kreeblah posted:

A really lovely power supply could possibly do that. It's a little pricey, but I use this with my Framemeister and it puts out very clean power.

Eh, that's not too bad to me. Worth it if it'd fix this, because I'm loving the HD Box otherwise. Thanks!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
A bit late but thanks for the tips on :japan: Japan :japan: retrogooning. I might pick up a new console while I'm there so the information about Osakan Super Potato might come in handy. Most likely I'll end up with a lot of cheap Saturn and SNES games due to easier (and cheaper) postage.

Nition posted:

I have one distinct memory of this game and it is trying to play the game live on television through phone dials. I was so disappointed and frustrated when I got stuck to a corner of an orange and lost because of that.

The show was a Finnish game show called Game Over and the premise was simple: kids call an expensive hotline for a chance to get on air to play modern video games on a god drat telephone for prizes and glory. Top prize was usually a game console with a lot of games. The games played ranged from CD-I titles like some minigolf game, Burn Cycle and Litil Devil (more apt to phone controls due to simplicity) to PSX games. You can imagine how well Battle Arena Toshinden works if you can press only one button at a time and even then the controls only work sporadically.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey that Micro Machines 1 screenshot is NOT the Mega Drive version. I rented it enough as a little one to know that's way too ugly. :colbert:

Did Micro Machines 2 get a US release, even? I've never ever seen it in the wild here.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

jyrque posted:

The show was a Finnish game show called Game Over and the premise was simple: kids call an expensive hotline for a chance to get on air to play modern video games on a god drat telephone for prizes and glory. Top prize was usually a game console with a lot of games. The games played ranged from CD-I titles like some minigolf game, Burn Cycle and Litil Devil (more apt to phone controls due to simplicity) to PSX games. You can imagine how well Battle Arena Toshinden works if you can press only one button at a time and even then the controls only work sporadically.

Why is that guy a weird animatronic puppet?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

The Orange Mage posted:

Hey that Micro Machines 1 screenshot is NOT the Mega Drive version. I rented it enough as a little one to know that's way too ugly. :colbert:

Did Micro Machines 2 get a US release, even? I've never ever seen it in the wild here.

Yeah, you're right. The page I got that from didn't say what version it was from and all the other screenshots I found were of blurry TV screens. I remembered Micro Machines looking pretty bad in comparison but you're right, it's not that bad.

Anyway, I've replaced it with a more legit looking screenshot now after having a better search, which also looks a lot better. The main problem with MM 1 that I remember is they made some garish colour choices.

Edit: Jyrque, oh man, playing Micro Machines over a dodgy phone line would be impossible.

Nition fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 26, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Quidnose posted:

Why is that guy a weird animatronic puppet?

Beats me. He was a small time TV personality for a time, mostly known for that show.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I know Turbo Tournament got a US PC release, but I have no idea if it made it to consoles.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The first time I heard about 8 player Micro Machines was actually with the Nintendo 64 game. Same deal as with the Genesis, except the N64 already has 4 ports and the d-pad is basically duplicated with the C buttons. I think I might have to track down a copy, it's 10 bucks or less on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P05Zi94IQ38

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Discount Viscount posted:

The first time I heard about 8 player Micro Machines was actually with the Nintendo 64 game. Same deal as with the Genesis, except the N64 already has 4 ports and the d-pad is basically duplicated with the C buttons. I think I might have to track down a copy, it's 10 bucks or less on eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P05Zi94IQ38

My mate rented the 64 version in high school, it is one of the best multiplayer games I have played. I recommend this one highly, the tank levels are the greatest.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

The Orange Mage posted:

Wiki says no, it looks like the only J-Cart game that made it stateside is Pete Sampras Tennis

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I just bought a retrode from stoneagegamer (they have a cyber monday 15% off sale). I can now finally get around to replacing all the save batteries in my snes games with battery holders now.

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Did any of you guys get a confirmation email from the Rakuten shipping sale they had recently?

I have not, and fired off an email to check the status of my order... but was wondering if it's the same with everyone else.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Hey Acid! I got my Kirby in the mail over the holidays. Thanks! Works perfectly. Uhm, can I use the retro thread as the reference thread to leave you some feedback? Or do you even care?

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

I can't even understand the appeal of clones. Half emulation/half slapped together hardware, less compatibility, sound issues, made of high-gloss red plastic that looks like crap, for virtually the same price as the actual system. Why do they exist?

I do believe this is the exception to that rule:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed6b/?cpg=cj&ref&CJURL&CJID=2470763

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I thought the retro duo portable sucked? I thought about getting a portable snes player at one point and remember reading something to the effect that the one that looks like a snes controller is actually better?

Anyone own one or the other to confirm? Thinking about asking for one for christmas.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kilazar posted:

I thought the retro duo portable sucked? I thought about getting a portable snes player at one point and remember reading something to the effect that the one that looks like a snes controller is actually better?

Anyone own one or the other to confirm? Thinking about asking for one for christmas.

Terrible screen/speakers, generally looks/feels like a cheap piece of poo poo.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Just like to say that SassyRobot is my hero/heroine!

Soon I will be able to play my GBA games on the big SD screen *evil maniacal laughter and hand rubbing*

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
RDP is loving awful, the screen is washed out and the buttons feel connected to nothing. Avoid.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Kilazar posted:

Soon I will be able to play my GBA games on the big SD screen *evil maniacal laughter and hand rubbing*

You're entirely welcome, although you don't get the cartridge I was testing it out with. I just love me some Pinball of the Dead :toot:!

I need opinions again! In my unholy quest to improve my Atari 2600/7200 signal I'm looking at cheap VGA converter boxes. Mygica and Sabrent have inexpensive units and I'm wondering if those would suit my purposes. They don't have fancy features like scanlines but if it'll stop my 7200's picture from jittering on the LCD TV I'll be happy. I want to play Choplifter in the living room, dammit!

Edit: :downs: Derp, VGA, not RGB. One o' them three letter dealies!

SassyRobot fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 27, 2012

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:
First ever boxed English PAL copy i've found of this anywhere ever. Been casually looking on Ebay for the past few years for it, and I was about to give in and buy an NTSC copy, but I held my ground and it paid off. Also streetfighter pin dirt cheap completed our set.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, that, like, better be the only SNES game to ever come in a tin like that.

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:
They have a cushioned inside, so the game doesn't rattle about. It is the only snes game to come in a tin like that as far as i'm aware though.

e: our spare tin is really scratched up, and on ebay at the moment for tuppence. You can have it if you cover postage.

Unused fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uh, that, like, better be the only SNES game to ever come in a tin like that.

Worried you've just found your new white whale to hunt, Jonah MiyamotosRGB?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Nition posted:

I want to talk about my personal favourite Mega Drive game,

Ok thanks for making me spend more money as I had completely forgotten about that game. All I can say is it better have my boyz Walter and Spider in it.

Speaking of blown minds, how the poo poo have I never heard of Virtual Chess 64? This game is incredible, looks good, and has a mellow as hell soundtrack...think Mario 64 Aquarium mellow at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQkv14p8aR4

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Tyson Tomko posted:

Ok thanks for making me spend more money as I had completely forgotten about that game. All I can say is it better have my boyz Walter and Spider in it.

Speaking of blown minds, how the poo poo have I never heard of Virtual Chess 64? This game is incredible, looks good, and has a mellow as hell soundtrack...think Mario 64 Aquarium mellow at times.

How the gently caress is this game 4-players?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tyson Tomko posted:

Titus did some weird poo poo back then.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gentlemen, this is it. This is the greatest box art in history.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Silhouette posted:

I'm pretty found of this one myself.

so patriotic

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Silhouette posted:

uhhhh

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Tyson Tomko posted:

I used to see this all the time at the local Blockbuster but nobody would ever rent it. Is it actually good?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Y'all forgetting Phalanx on the SNES. :colbert:

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Well, if we're going to talk N64, we may as well re-watch this classic commercial.

And yeah, I also remember seeing the Virtual Chess 64 game perpetually on the shelf at the video store, never to be rented. They also had the Earthbound big box on display, which I was, of course, too young and stupid to buy when they went out of business.

edit:
Also, box art. I love the old Star Fox cover:

I seriously miss the original art style, when all the characters were vaguely creepy, Fantastic Mr. Fox-esque dolls.

tvb fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The old commercial for that game used it too. It scared the poo poo out of me as a young kid when it first came on.

• Locked thread