Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

blargle posted:

The guy who has been releasing CM10 builds for the E3D has gone on hiatus, although you could always build it from source yourself I guess. There are some serious wake lock battery drain issues with it right now.

No he hasn't. He last pushed an update on the 21st and is currently on vacation. But really, there are actually multiple people working on it at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

mesc posted:

I got fed up and emailed dan@sprint.com and after a very pleasant conversation and investigation by them to ensure I wasn't lying they let me out of my contract (just re-upped in July). Being a customer in good standing for over a decade might have helped though.

I'd love to know more about this. Sprint has become awful in my area over the past 2 years, and I'd love to find a way out of my contract (1 year old now) without an ETF.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FlyingCheese posted:

No he hasn't. He last pushed an update on the 21st and is currently on vacation. But really, there are actually multiple people working on it at this point.

Where is this mostly stable actively developed CM10 for the 3D? All I can find on the official website is CM7, and a quick glance at XDA shows me something called CyanogenMod 10 Gangnam Style, which sounds to me like some clown is just building from source and screwing around with poo poo. Is there an official experimental build?

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

brc64 posted:

Where is this mostly stable actively developed CM10 for the 3D? All I can find on the official website is CM7, and a quick glance at XDA shows me something called CyanogenMod 10 Gangnam Style, which sounds to me like some clown is just building from source and screwing around with poo poo. Is there an official experimental build?

The CMs being built for the CDMA 3D are all "unofficial" (branched off from the official GSM 3D builds), as far as my knowledge goes.

If you're looking for decent CM10s, you can check out Paranoid Android or MIUI. I've yet to try them myself, but people say they're good. Then again, as mentioned previously in this thread, the whole XDA community is a big circlejerk. You've been warned.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ozmodiar posted:

I'd love to know more about this. Sprint has become awful in my area over the past 2 years, and I'd love to find a way out of my contract (1 year old now) without an ETF.

I'd email Dan but the vast majority of my gripes with Sprint (see prepaid phones thread) aren't really Sprint incompetence or malice but more about the inherent issues with CDMA being the douche canoe signal standard for carriers to be assholes with, their reasonable (in my view) stance on coverage of lovely exurb beluga farm sprawl, and their special snowflake phone configurations (due to CDMA being poo poo on a shoelace) causing months-long delays in phone updates.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Priss In Plate posted:

If you're looking for decent CM10s, you can check out Paranoid Android or MIUI. I've yet to try them myself, but people say they're good. Then again, as mentioned previously in this thread, the whole XDA community is a big circlejerk. You've been warned.

PA has gotten pretty good as of the last update. They finally added WiMax support and everything works save for the 3D and built-in wifi tether (the wifi tether app still works).

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Pleasantly surprised with how much LTE coverage there is in Houston, I had coverage basically from Sugar Land to Webster. Maybe while I was away from Dallas during the break they improved the coverage over there to be as good as Houston's, haha yeah right.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

brc64 posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1826747
CDMA builds are being built at the same time and are posted here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/cm10/shooter

He's a Sprint user for his personal phone so the CDMA version gets just as much attention. It's not official (yet), but they're already talking with the CM team to become official.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I picked up a Galaxy S3 for Black Friday and am experiencing LTE speeds in Chicago and it's amazing how fast it is. Sadly I live two hours from Chicago and probably won't get that kind of speed normally. :( But I'm enjoying it while I'm here.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 25, 2012

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

DanAdamKOF posted:

Pleasantly surprised with how much LTE coverage there is in Houston, I had coverage basically from Sugar Land to Webster. Maybe while I was away from Dallas during the break they improved the coverage over there to be as good as Houston's, haha yeah right.

No, but it is getting better (slowly). I have LTE signal most places I go in Plano now, some areas are even good enough to get LTE indoors. They are definitely rolling out new towers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1826747
CDMA builds are being built at the same time and are posted here: http://goo.im/devs/agrabren/cm10/shooter

He's a Sprint user for his personal phone so the CDMA version gets just as much attention. It's not official (yet), but they're already talking with the CM team to become official.

Yeah, Disarmed Toaster is what I've been using for a while now, and it actually makes the phone not suck completely.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Tried multiple times Friday to buy a Galaxy S III and gave up after 6 or so hours. Soon as anyone saw that I had a SERO plan I got routed somewhere else where the call would drop at random, get a disconnected number, outside office hours, told to go online, etc. Oh Sprint.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Electronaut posted:

Tried multiple times Friday to buy a Galaxy S III and gave up after 6 or so hours. Soon as anyone saw that I had a SERO plan I got routed somewhere else where the call would drop at random, get a disconnected number, outside office hours, told to go online, etc. Oh Sprint.

Did you call 888-882-4030? They were super helpful for me, but a bit of a hold...

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I am worried seeing all the problems people had on SERO getting the Black Friday S3 deal. I'm on SERO premium, with my Evo4g, and I ordered online with no problems. It mentioned meeding to change the plan, but never got more specific, and said I could make the plan changes later. I plan on calling employee care or SERO support when I get the phone on monday and need to activate it. Did I massively screw up?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Imasalmon posted:

I am worried seeing all the problems people had on SERO getting the Black Friday S3 deal. I'm on SERO premium, with my Evo4g, and I ordered online with no problems. It mentioned meeding to change the plan, but never got more specific, and said I could make the plan changes later. I plan on calling employee care or SERO support when I get the phone on monday and need to activate it. Did I massively screw up?

Probably not, the needed change was to change your plan from SERO 4G WiMax to SERO 4G LTE. Still, good idea to check your account online or call in to verify.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Probably not, the needed change was to change your plan from SERO 4G WiMax to SERO 4G LTE. Still, good idea to check your account online or call in to verify.

I checked online, and I am still listed as on SERO Premium. So it ought to be fine, right? Especially since the phone isn't activated, right?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Imasalmon posted:

I checked online, and I am still listed as on SERO Premium. So it ought to be fine, right? Especially since the phone isn't activated, right?

That's right. As long as you call a SERO number (check the OP), they'll apply the correct code to your account and you'll retain your SERO plan.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SERO support is pretty dang good. Just get the phone you want any way you can, then call them. It is a piece of cake from there on.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Missed the S III Black Friday boat. Pretty bummed I have to wait a whole year to take advantage of a holiday-centered sales event upgrade.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

petercodeine posted:

Missed the S III Black Friday boat. Pretty bummed I have to wait a whole year to take advantage of a holiday-centered sales event upgrade.

You can probably get the same deal in a few months when the s4 inevitably comes out.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

petercodeine posted:

Ya know, I was going to get it, but then the $70 of fees and taxes kinda pissed me off. On top of that, rumors are indicating the S4 is coming out in early spring.

I'm gonna hang in there with my antique smart phone just to see. If I don't like what is released, I'll see about picking up an S3 on eBay or something (prices will drop a bit).

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

geetee posted:

You can probably get the same deal in a few months when the s4 inevitably comes out.

That's actually what it came to. Almost placed the order on Amazon Wireless, at which point it was backordered and gave me an estimated date of mid-January or some poo poo. Didn't see the appeal in possibly having to drop my EPRP to get a discount on a phone that would have a new iteration out by the time I even got it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

moolchaba posted:

Ya know, I was going to get it, but then the $70 of fees and taxes kinda pissed me off. On top of that, rumors are indicating the S4 is coming out in early spring.

I'm gonna hang in there with my antique smart phone just to see. If I don't like what is released, I'll see about picking up an S3 on eBay or something (prices will drop a bit).

I don't know if it matters where you try to get it, but Best Buy taxed me on the $48 it cost due to the special, not the regular price. It seems like actual Sprint stores were taxing on the original price for whatever reason.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

theguy2687 posted:

I don't know if it matters where you try to get it, but Best Buy taxed me on the $48 it cost due to the special, not the regular price. It seems like actual Sprint stores were taxing on the original price for whatever reason.

Its been my experience for the last 3-4 phones I've bought with an upgrade that they have been taxed on the full retail price of the phone, buying from both Verizon and Sprint.

That's nice that BB taxes on what you're actually paying, I think its bullshit to pay sales tax on the full price.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think sometimes that's based on local law.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

CharlesM posted:

Correct, several states have gone after the cell phone companies IIRC arguing that the subsidy is part of the contract price so you are actually paying full price, thus should pay full sales tax. (The regular monthly service price isn't taxed by regular sales tax).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CharlesM posted:

It's based on state/local laws, yeah. Here in NY, phones seem to be taxed at something like 12% (? It's higher than normal sales tax, that's for sure), but on the actual price paid. This, at least, based on my having checked out phones before at the sprint website, and paying $1.11 for a $.99 phone the other day.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm tired of this crap. I, my wife, and father in law all have E4GT phones. They are less than a year old and the battery life is absolutely terrible on all of them. This weekend, I unplugged my phone at around 10am and by 8pm, I got a low battery warning - I hadn't made any phone calls, I hadn't played any games, I hadn't sent any texts. The phone was literally sitting on a table just existing and it killed the battery.

Now I understand that smartphones have high battery drain. My Wi-Fi is set to turn off when the phone is not plugged in, etc. (though I shouldn't have to turn everything off to get a reasonable battery life on my phone.) As with many other people, this issue really started with the most recent updates (ICS, etc.)

Is there any way to root the phone and roll back to Gingerbread without having to deal with the nag screens from Sprint saying that I need to upgrade?

I do appreciate that Sprint offers unlimited data (but disabled FoxFi, drat it!) and I get a 25% discount on the bill due to my employer, but goddamnit, I am really sick and tired of the lovely signal, the fact that I can't use my phone in most of the buildings I go in to, and the incredible battery drain. I am so ready to go to another carrier over this experience.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm tired of this crap. I, my wife, and father in law all have E4GT phones. They are less than a year old and the battery life is absolutely terrible on all of them. This weekend, I unplugged my phone at around 10am and by 8pm, I got a low battery warning - I hadn't made any phone calls, I hadn't played any games, I hadn't sent any texts. The phone was literally sitting on a table just existing and it killed the battery.

Now I understand that smartphones have high battery drain. My Wi-Fi is set to turn off when the phone is not plugged in, etc. (though I shouldn't have to turn everything off to get a reasonable battery life on my phone.) As with many other people, this issue really started with the most recent updates (ICS, etc.)

Is there any way to root the phone and roll back to Gingerbread without having to deal with the nag screens from Sprint saying that I need to upgrade?

I do appreciate that Sprint offers unlimited data (but disabled FoxFi, drat it!) and I get a 25% discount on the bill due to my employer, but goddamnit, I am really sick and tired of the lovely signal, the fact that I can't use my phone in most of the buildings I go in to, and the incredible battery drain. I am so ready to go to another carrier over this experience.

The signal at your house must suck dongs. If you have wifi at home, use that instead of your phone burning battery like crazy trying to increase the gain on the antenna enough to pick up a whisper of a signal.

Failing that, post a screenshot of your battery stats, maybe someone can help you with fixing wakelocks or something that's draining your battery like that.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Yeah, turning off wifi will hurt your battery more than keeping it on if you have lovely signal.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409955080"]
Yeah, turning off wifi will hurt your battery more than keeping it on if you have lovely signal.

How will turning Wi-Fi off hurt my battery?

The Entire Universe posted:

The signal at your house must suck dongs. If you have wifi at home, use that instead of your phone burning battery like crazy trying to increase the gain on the antenna enough to pick up a whisper of a signal.
How can I possibly use Wi-Fi to pick up a cell signal?

Anyway, the signal at the house isn't an issue - I've got an Airrave courtesy of Sprint. I'm telling you - while signal does suck when I am out and about, the phones in general have problems. My father in law (in a different part of the state) also complains of lovely battery, and my wife is in the same boat I am. None of us had poor battery life when we were on Gingerbread - I could let my phone sit idle all day and still have 60% battery.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Do Air Raves have a monthly fee? My sister has terrible signal at her house, but has been unsuccessful getting a free one because she's on an employee plan and retentions won't even talk to her about it. She needs an Air Rave, and at this point she's willing to buy one, but I read online that it requires an "Unlimited air rave" data plan...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of bad Sprint signal, I just got an MMS my boyfriend sent about a week ago but I never got.

Meanwhile, at the same time, he just got an MMS I sent a week and a half ago. It looked like it never sent.

I don't know what the gently caress just happened. Is Sprint really getting that bad?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Anyway, the signal at the house isn't an issue - I've got an Airrave courtesy of Sprint. I'm telling you - while signal does suck when I am out and about, the phones in general have problems. My father in law (in a different part of the state) also complains of lovely battery, and my wife is in the same boat I am. None of us had poor battery life when we were on Gingerbread - I could let my phone sit idle all day and still have 60% battery.

If you are on your original battery, it could just be wearing out. Replacement batteries are pretty cheap now for that phone, you might want to give that a try if you want to stay stock.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

How will turning Wi-Fi off hurt my battery?

Short version: the phone needs to put out a lot less energy to contact something as close by as a Wi-Fi access point than it needs to contact a tower. Look up the inverse-square law if you want to go into the mathematical detail.

berzerkmonkey posted:

How can I possibly use Wi-Fi to pick up a cell signal?

With smartphones, the point to using Wi-Fi is that you don't have to transmit via cell towers for the data connection. As has been explained, that means less battery drain.

That said, the Airrave should eliminate tower distance as an issue in the power consumption. If replacing the battery like bigpolar suggested doesn't help, then it could very easily just be the phone itself that's crappy in this case rather than being specifically because of Sprint. While it's not hard to find people complaining about the E4GT's battery life, most of those complaints feature such genius suggestions as "install a task killer" and "turn off Wi-Fi". The fact that the femtocell is apparently not having much of an impact would probably indicate that the phone would still be worthless even if you managed to trick Verizon into activating it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Medullah posted:

Do Air Raves have a monthly fee? My sister has terrible signal at her house, but has been unsuccessful getting a free one because she's on an employee plan and retentions won't even talk to her about it. She needs an Air Rave, and at this point she's willing to buy one, but I read online that it requires an "Unlimited air rave" data plan...
Usually they do, but if you can convince a rep that you have no signal (or a really lovely one) they might give you one for free with no service plan. In my case, I had a mile "bubble" where I had absolutely no signal. My wife's phone was fine, but mine couldn't pick up a signal until I got about a mile from my house. I'd assume it was a tower issue, but I don't know why it would affect only one phone. At any rate, I called a few times, stated my case, and they sent the Air Rave out. Tell her to call on a regular basis so they have a record of multiple issues - that might help her case.

bigpolar posted:

If you are on your original battery, it could just be wearing out. Replacement batteries are pretty cheap now for that phone, you might want to give that a try if you want to stay stock.
I would go with the "battery is the culprit" argument, but, again, all three phones went to poo poo after the ICS update. I don't imagine that all three batteries decided to poo poo the bed at the same time (and one phone was purchased 4 months after the others.)

Technogeek posted:

With smartphones, the point to using Wi-Fi is that you don't have to transmit via cell towers for the data connection. As has been explained, that means less battery drain.
Oh sorry - I was thinking you were talking about the cell signal. I was beginning to think I was going crazy and that somehow cellphones started operating on Wi-Fi when there was no communication with a tower...

Yeah, I get that, but I experience rapid drain with Wi-Fi on or off, so neither way seems to make a difference.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 26, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Have her call the employee line, not the airrave department, they will send her a free one. The number is in the OP, and I personally got one that way. Yes it will be free monthly.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know what the gently caress just happened. Is Sprint really getting that bad?

Unless you live in a market with LTE, yes it is right now.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2012

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Is there any feasibility to calling retentions and asking to buy out the rest of my contract so I can upgrade? I'm due for an upgrade April 1st although my contract is actually until June. I know there was some sort of promotion to do it before but that was quite a while ago and I'm not sure if Sprint is really down for this kind of thing nowadays.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is Sprint phasing out wimax already? I'm one of the few people living in a really strong coverage zone outside NYC, but the area seems to be shrinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

Is there any feasibility to calling retentions and asking to buy out the rest of my contract so I can upgrade? I'm due for an upgrade April 1st although my contract is actually until June. I know there was some sort of promotion to do it before but that was quite a while ago and I'm not sure if Sprint is really down for this kind of thing nowadays.

Sure, call customer care, ask for retentions/cancellations, and they usually will let you do it.