Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
NSMBU pushed me over to platinum for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there some way for Deluxe edition owners to enroll in that digital promotion yet (the one that gives you 10% back on eshop purchases)? Or does your account just automatically know which console you have somehow?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've had the Wii U for over a week now and have only played 3 of the Nintendo Land games... the ones I have played have been so fun I haven't ventured off into anything new.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Astro7x posted:

I've had the Wii U for over a week now and have only played 3 of the Nintendo Land games... the ones I have played have been so fun I haven't ventured off into anything new.

Which ones, and how many people?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bombadilillo posted:

Which ones, and how many people?

I've been obsessed with Donkey Kong Crash Course.... and now I just learned that there are 4 stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkHJ8mSw7I

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Astro7x posted:

I've been obsessed with Donkey Kong Crash Course.... and now I just learned that there are 4 stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkHJ8mSw7I

:aaa: Wow, I just beat one, it is really fun though, frustratingly so.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Astro7x posted:

To clarify, have you only been playing those three within Nintendo Land, or have you only booted up Nintendo Land to the exclusion of any other game?

greatn posted:

Well the multiple developers saying the cpu is slow, and the tear down showing slower ram, and the tech crunch analysis, are all ways to know. It's not really debatable, it just is. In many ways the Wii U is weaker than the xbox360. We just have to move on and hope developers learn their limitations to make better ports.
It's also part of the issue with ports: that same breakdown showed that while the PS3 version performed better, the graphical fidelity itself was weaker than the Wii U version. Multiplatform console games are built with the Xbox360 architecture in mind first. A game built with visuals that heavily utilize the Wii U's stronger GPU or extra RAM, then those would likely be gimped if ported to the 360.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Astro7x posted:

My wife and I take turns playing octopus dance, it's a pretty fun but simple rhythm game. The Yoshi cart and DK crash course games are pretty fun puzzle games with Yoshi making great use of the gamepad. The only other two we occasionally play are Animal Crossing & Pikmin.

Mario Chase & Luigi's Ghost Mansion are fun if you have 3+ people to play with (was a lot of fun when we had my middle-school aged brothers over). All of the other games we thought were pretty lame.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Just purchased a Wii U. Question regarding the remotes.

I don't have a wii but pretty sure a normal wii remote works with wii u games? We purchased a wii remote plus, only thing I can find is it has a better motion sensor in it for pointer accuracy.

Am I right to assume I can go to PrePlayed and buy a used wii remote to use? And does the new remote plus offer anything worth the 40$ price for a second of its kind?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

certain games require Wii Motion Plus, for example the Zelda game in NintendoLand. You're better off just getting all Wiimote+'s from now on. In fact, I think they're phasing regular Wiimotes out (finally)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Played through the maid mode of Metroid Blast over the weekend with two other local players. I haven't been this :allears: over a co-op experience since my fully-equipped Zelda Four Sword playthrough on the GameCube/GBAx4 several years ago. It really is fantastic, and I'm excited over the fact that more than .005% of the console's audience has the equipment to support games like this.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Duxwig posted:

Just purchased a Wii U. Question regarding the remotes.

I don't have a wii but pretty sure a normal wii remote works with wii u games? We purchased a wii remote plus, only thing I can find is it has a better motion sensor in it for pointer accuracy.

Am I right to assume I can go to PrePlayed and buy a used wii remote to use? And does the new remote plus offer anything worth the 40$ price for a second of its kind?

The Motionplus only improves the motion-sensing for software that opts to use it. It won't enhance or affect a game not designed for it, and it doesn't enhance the IR pointing (although it offers a different method of pointing that games such as Skyward Sword may opt to use).

A couple of Nintendoland's minigames require it, and it's of course uncertain what future games might also need it, so getting remotes with it built in is the safest move. Note that buying a copy of Flingsmash is a weirdly cheap way to get one.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I emailed Nintendo about the crashbeep that has happened to me 3 times now (and more to others in the thread). I asked them if there would be an update for this problem and mentioned that I know it has happened to other people. They send me this email in response:

They also left a name, number, and a time for me to call them to sort out this problem. I'll keep everyone posted on this hopefully non-serious some-what common issue.

That's not good... I've had this problem about 10 times now, even after changing Nintendoland to English-only. All I want to do is star all the games T_T

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Are there two settings that need to be set to "English only" (one in Miiverse, and one in Nintendo land), or is it just the Miiverse setting? If there are two settings, how do you access the Nintendo land one?

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I'm basically done with NSMBU and now I'm faced with the dreaded task of finding a second game. I'll have tons of houseguests from mid-December on at which point I'll get Nintendo land but in the meantime I'm thinking of picking up Scribblenauts.

Is the main complaint about it just that it's too derivative from prior handheld versions? Because I haven't played any of those. It'll be entirely new to me.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I don't know if it's worth $60. The PC version is $40, seems a better deal to me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I've heard basically nothing but good things about scribblenauts Unlimited except that the Steam Version is 20$ cheaper. I really am hoping it drops in price and I can just download it on the eShop for cheap.

Nintendo land is really good though even for a single player. Mostly for Donkey Kong Crash Course, but I know I've enjoyed the FPS rail shooter zelda, pikmin and balloon-thing single player.

Lots of goons also say good things about ZombiU (as long as you play it and dont expect BLOPs Zombies).

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
My problem with scribblenauts is more often then not the solutions are either too obvious or in some cases some things work as catch-all solutions. For example in the first scribbenauts game, "pegasus" was basically a win button for at least 50% of the levels. And sometimes it's like, oh hey, here's a police officer, give him 3 items he needs to do his job and you go "gun" "badge" "handcuffs" and wow yay puzzle solved wait what am I five years old

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Gendo posted:

Is the main complaint about it just that it's too derivative from prior handheld versions? Because I haven't played any of those. It'll be entirely new to me.
I'm playing it through as a Scribblenauts virgin, and while it's fun, it isn't exactly challenging. It's more like a guided tour, and every puzzle is stupidly obvious, so the only real excitement is what you can get away with. Like, at one point you have to help a guy get across the Oregon Trail. He wants something to pull his cart. Yes, you can write "Ox" and get the Starite. You can also write "Shoggoth" and a monster with eyes for tentacles will appear and pull his cart. If the fact that "Ox" would suffice doesn't offend you, then Scribblenauts is fun.

It's co-op in the same way that the Legend of Zelda ('85) was co-op, and I could see playing it with a 7-year-old would be transcendant, but for adults I would say bust out the Wiimotes and WarioWare or something in NintendoLand is probably better.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Oh, well that doesn't sound very fun. :(

I guess I'll give ZombiU a chance. I still have like.. 150 star coins to find too.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

How much fun scribblenauts is is pretty much the direct result of your creativity and I am pretty sure an actual 5-year-old would come up with better ideas than that.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Gendo posted:

Oh, well that doesn't sound very fun. :(

I guess I'll give ZombiU a chance. I still have like.. 150 star coins to find too.

ZombiU is intense as gently caress and I seriously regret buying it because I'm too scared of it to play it for very long.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Katana Gomai posted:

How much fun scribblenauts is is pretty much the direct result of your creativity and I am pretty sure an actual 5-year-old would come up with better ideas than that.

Listen, I'm an engineer by trade. Finding the simplest, most efficient, most obvious solution is my livelihood.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

On the one hand, what killed the Wii's VC was that they were originally handing it out to quickly...

What made you reach that conclusion?

I'm anxious for news on Gamecube games and other digital downloads. Metroid Prime Trilogy is hard to find these days...

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm pretty sure Scribblenauts is $40 at Toys R Us or Target or something today, and I think it's worth that price. Sonic Racing is also $40 MSRP everywhere, and has a ton of content if you're into kart racers.

Scribblenauts is really fun, it's just better to think of it as a sandbox game for causing chaos and goofing off instead of a puzzle game. The possibilities are pretty ridiculous and you can even create custom items and trade them with friends. My favorite part so far has just been seeing peoples' weird creations on Miiverse and posting pictures of my own.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can't wait for some good horror games to pop up on the Wii U. The pad would be great for, say, the player having to hold up a cellphone as a light source or something along those lines. I'm surprised there hasn't been any rumblings of a Fatal Frame on this yet

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Toady posted:

What made you reach that conclusion?

I'm anxious for news on Gamecube games and other digital downloads. Metroid Prime Trilogy is hard to find these days...

Reganomics!

if thebton of house guests are decent with games tekken might be a hoot with its ton of content and silly costumes.
shame I cant find any hands on reviews since all the ones I read sound like trailer reviews.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

toxicsunset posted:

Listen, I'm an engineer by trade. Finding the simplest, most efficient, most obvious solution is my livelihood.

You can be creative and efficient! There's a level where a woman complains that her feet hurt so you can remove her legs (adjective "legless") and solve it like that. :eng101:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

I'm now warming back to Scribblenauts. :q:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

They've sold 400,000 of these things launch week:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-sells-400000-in-first-week-6400582

...and 1.2 million consoles total, including 300k Wiis and 250k 3DS and 375k DSi units.

The Wii sold 600k its launch week, so whether or not 400k is really good for a system with not nearly the hype as the original Wii or a sign that Nintendo is heading down the shitter and will inevitably be a software developer is an exercise left to the reader.

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
The true way to play Scribblenauts is to ignore the obvious solutions and find completely insane ones, ie the legless one mentioned above.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Boten Anna posted:

They've sold 400,000 of these things launch week:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-sells-400000-in-first-week-6400582

...and 1.2 million consoles total, including 300k Wiis and 250k 3DS and 375k DSi units.

The Wii sold 600k its launch week, so whether or not 400k is really good for a system with not nearly the hype as the original Wii or a sign that Nintendo is heading down the shitter and will inevitably be a software developer is an exercise left to the reader.

Isn't that still a couple hundred thousand more than what the Xbox 360 and PS3 sold?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

It's more than all other consoles except the wii (in the US).

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Calaveron posted:

Isn't that still a couple hundred thousand more than what the Xbox 360 and PS3 sold?

It is.

But it doesn't mean anything. All it means is that Nintendo produced 400,000 systems for North America. If they had given us 600,000, we would have bought 600,000.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Trying to figure out what sales launch figures mean for the long term viability of the platform is pretty much reading tea leaves.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Calaveron posted:

PS3:

Wiki posted:

It was originally announced that there would be 400,000 units available, however less than a week before launch reports emerged that Sony did not meet its shipping quota in time, resulting in about 40% of systems not appearing at launch. It is not known exactly how many systems were available on launch day.

360:

Wiki posted:

According to the NDP Group, North American sales totaled 326,000 units in November

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I have played (and like) both. Allow me to sum up each one in terms of a zombie invasion.

In ZombiU I found a safe house and saved. Immediately thereafter I was swarmed by zombies and died. On my next playthrough I died again, this time to the zombified corpse of my last character.

In Scribblenauts I had to defend a fire station against zombies. I built a mech by combining a car, a gun, and magic, and then blew up all the zombies.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah even this Christmas probably won't tell us much. The middle of next year and then the "really" next gen console launches(whether they happen next christmas or even later) will be the real crucibles for the Wii U.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
there's not enough love for Sonic Racing in this thread. Granted, I haven't played a Kart racer since the Mario Kart on Gamecube, so I'm largely unaware of how Kart racers have evolved over the past decade. Still though, I was not expecting this much depth and polish (glitched drift challenges aside) from a $40 game.

Really what impresses me most with Sonic and All Stars Racing is the course design. The House of the Dead map is freakin' amazing. It has zombies jumping around in a bouncy castle just to the side of one sharp turn. ZOMBIES ON A BOUNCY CASTLE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
I just noticed in my download management screen it says that my Download Status is currently downloading, but it's been like that for about 2 days now. Is there some huge update coming in or is it just saying that because i'm connected online?

• Locked thread