Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Jumping back to the Toyota/perceived reliability discussion for a second, autoblog posted this CarMD study which uses engine codes and repairs costs instead of happy/unhappy customer's feedback to rate reliability, and it looks like Toyota came out ion top of that too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/20/carmd-releases-entirely-objective-reliability-rankings/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Hyundai looks like it has fewer errors that cost less, why is toyota ranked above them?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sir Tonk posted:

This reminds me of some fanfic story from an old issue of Hot Rod about a bootlegger with an old Mustang and a panel of switches that each controlled a light system so he could "go dark" if he was being chased at night. He also had an extra twenty gallon fuel cell in the trunk, I think. Wish I could find the issue, it was a great story.
I believe rally driver Maurice Gatsonides (of speed camera fame) did this to his brake lights, so competitors couldn't gauge his braking points.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

InitialDave posted:

I believe rally driver Maurice Gatsonides (of speed camera fame) did this to his brake lights, so competitors couldn't gauge his braking points.

A Baja desert racer told me he'd do this through sand traps, so people behind him would go too fast and crash out. Hell of a sportsman :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bull3964 posted:

Nope. The 2.5 turbo in both the WRX and STI still use a timing belt.

This will be the last year of that motor, right?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Doesn't the Cruze still use a timing belt on the 1.8 (maybe the diesel too)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A neat thing I noticed in the press shots of the new Panda:

The gauge needles are transparent, so you can see the warning lights through them. I think it's a neat little thing, has any other manufacturer done this before?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Those are very attractive gauges, in my opinion. At the same time, that is how I imagine the "80s retro" motif looking in a few years.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's an interesting use of otherwise wasted space. Interesting to note all 4 seats now have seatbelt monitors.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Talking about reliability, the new Toyotas seem to be quirky more than lovely, but like was said they'll do 200,000 miles so they still get to keep their reputation. Boring looking cars, though.

How anyone still buys a Honda is beyond me. Ugly rear end cars and they definitely aren't as reliable as they once were. Any newer Honda comes in to our auction with 100k+, it seems like it has more lights on than a Range Rover.

The cars that are starting to surprise me with reliability is the Charger, though. We're starting to see Hemi Chargers come through with 300k+ on the clock. I knew the Hemi was a great engine having owned a car with one, but I never thought the Charger was going to be like a new version of the Panther chassis Fords when they came out.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Insert joke about Italian cars REQUIRING constant visibility of warning lights.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

VikingSkull posted:

The cars that are starting to surprise me with reliability is the Charger, though. We're starting to see Hemi Chargers come through with 300k+ on the clock. I knew the Hemi was a great engine having owned a car with one, but I never thought the Charger was going to be like a new version of the Panther chassis Fords when they came out.

A lot of the moving parts on the LX Chargers are from Mercedes. Merc doesn't quite have the reliability rep it used to but all of the Dr Z-infused Chryslers seem to be high-endurance runners.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VikingSkull posted:

I usually prefer European cars to American/Japanese/Korean cars, but the Charger is a car I really like for some reason. There's an SRT-8 driving around Copenhagen that I see from time to time. I can't imagine how much he had to pay for it.

PBCrunch posted:

Insert joke about Italian cars REQUIRING constant visibility of warning lights.

That's not the startup warning light check, that's normal operating condition :v:

(Rev counter is broken, obviously)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot of the moving parts on the LX Chargers are from Mercedes. Merc doesn't quite have the reliability rep it used to but all of the Dr Z-infused Chryslers seem to be high-endurance runners.

The longer a platform's been around, the more engineering failure data you have and the more reliable it gets. For instance, both Hyundai and (until recently) most of the Japanese manufacturers tend to launch their new products in protected home markets first to try and soak up some of the first generation bugs before letting the cars enter more competitive markets like the US.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The LX platform got its start with the Eagle Premier and possibly even earlier with the Renault 25. Then it went from FWD to RWD and later incorporated some design elements in addition to parts sharing with MB, which has lead to the latter's foamers declaring that the whole thing was based on the E-class. It's interesting to see just how many iterations the design has gone through to reach its current form. The whole story is in these links:
http://www.allpar.com/model/premier.html
http://www.eaglecars.com/eagle-cars/history-eagle-cars.html
http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/index.html
http://www.nytimes.com/1990/08/10/business/company-news-chrysler-delay-on-luxury-car.html
LX engineer interviews:
http://www.allpar.com/history/interviews/burke-brown-lx.html
http://www.allpar.com/history/interviews/burke-brown-LH-cars.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had no idea the LX platform went that far back, that's pretty cool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

(Rev counter is broken, obviously)
It's being driven by an Italian, it's on its second lap.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

InitialDave posted:

It's being driven by an Italian, it's on its second lap.

Shift by feel rod knock

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20384431

JLR plants to be built in China. Other than the obvious Chinese market, perhaps the Defender may find a home there when its retirement comes due?

Quality is job # 1

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

KozmoNaut posted:

A neat thing I noticed in the press shots of the new Panda:

The gauge needles are transparent, so you can see the warning lights through them. I think it's a neat little thing, has any other manufacturer done this before?

The Chrysler Pacifica had a pretty cool GPS screen inside the speedometer, surprised I havent seen that in any other vehicles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

The Chrysler Pacifica had a pretty cool GPS screen inside the speedometer, surprised I havent seen that in any other vehicles.

All 3 domestic companies have them, I thought at least one of the German ones did too.

Dodge Dart

Lincoln

Cadillac

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VW has it as well. I love you Throatwarbler!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Those are tiny direction screens, the Pacifica had the full map. The Cadillac one is closest.

Horrible picture but this:

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

VW has it as well. I love you Throatwarbler!

Other VW group cars have similar.

The 9X7 Porsches have nav in the LCD center tach. However, it only displays the current instruction and distance to turn. This makes it worse than the VW's slightly cluttered display.

The new 9X1 Porsches (you know because 1 comes after 7) have nav in a separate "instrument". Which is just a second display for the center console. I've not driven 991 over any distance so I'm not sure if this is better.

I personally want to know where they found a round LCD manufacturer.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Aurune posted:

I personally want to know where they found a round LCD manufacturer.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that if you disassembled the dash, you'd find that the LCD itself is square, and you're just only seeing part of it. Though I could be wrong, that's how I'd do it. Many incredibly foolish things are done in the name of good design, and if the designer says "we want a round LCD," it's your job as an engineer to figure out how to make it work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Actually, round LCDs seem to be readily available.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/round-lcd.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well Mazda, it's been fun but my true calling is coming

http://www.insideline.com/buick/grand-national-gnx-and-t-type-are-returning-to-buick.html

quote:

Grand National, GNX and T-Type Are Returning to Buick

Just the Facts:

Buick is planning to reintroduce the Grand National, T-Type and GNX nameplates.
The new models will ride on GM's rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.
The Grand National and T-Type models will likely use turbocharged V6s, while the GNX will most likely get GM's new LT1 V8.

SANTA MONICA, California — Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be sedans and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.

That's the plan anyway, according to a reliable source who spoke to Edmunds.

As in the 1980s, the T-Type and Grand National will share powertrains and suspension calibrations, but the T-Type will be offered in a full color palette, while the GN will come in black only. Details on the exact drivetrain that will be used are still hard to come by at this point.

Buick's current turbocharged 2.0-liter has the right vibe but lacks the muscle, and the normally aspirated V6 has the guts but just doesn't feel right for these nameplates. A more likely scenario is the use of GM's long-rumored, and recently spotted, twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. It's expected to produce between 350 and 400 horsepower, which would be more than enough power in a bad black Buick with a Grand National badge.

So what's left for the legendary GNX nameplate? How about GM's new LT1 V8? We've already confirmed that a V8 will fit in the confines of the Alpha platform, so it's not an issue of "if" it can be done, but one of "how" it will be done.

With a V-Series version of the Cadillac ATS almost certainly in the pipeline, a Buick version with a slightly less powerful V8 could be the ticket for the GNX. A six-speed manual transmission and six-speed automatic could be available in all three sedans.

Buick will also make changes to the sedan's interior and exterior to bring it into the Buick family. The size of the sedan should remain unchanged, however, (the Cadillac ATS is exactly the same size as a BMW 3 Series) and all of its subsystems such as steering, brakes and suspension will be shared with the ATS.

For those born after the Reagan administration, the Buick Regal T-Type, Grand National and GNX were essentially the quickest cars you could buy in 1986 and '87. They were powered by turbocharged versions of Buick's 3.8-liter V6 and they instantly became legends on the street and on every drag strip in America. Today these Buicks are highly valued collector cars, with prices topping out at $100,000 for one of the 547 GNXs that GM built in 1987.

One of those GNXs used to belong to Mark Reuss, the current president of General Motors North America. In fact, his dad, Lloyd Reuss, approved the original GNX when he was executive vice president of General Motors North America in the '80s. Needless to say, there's plenty of enthusiasm at the very top of General Motors for a return of these storied nameplates.

That enthusiasm can't work miracles, however, so we'll have to wait at least another year before this crop of performance Buicks even gets a mention in public. Figure the 2014 Detroit Auto Show is a good bet.

Edmunds says: Just when we think GM has settled back into stupid mode Reuss and the gang get smart. We can't wait to drive these new Buicks. Make ours, and everyone else's, black.

I love the new Buicks and if this is really happening I can't see myself not getting behind the wheel of one.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 26, 2012

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Please god let them be just as sexy as the originals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Please god let them be just as sexy as the originals.

The new Regal is a wonderful car so I would expect some of the design language to translate over. I was seriously considering a new Regal when I was down on my vast car collection a few months back.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Oh god please yes. The new buicks even look pretty good, they could just remove some trim and only sell it in black.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This better be REALLY REALLY good. I hate when a company brings back an iconic nameplate, only to destroy it (I'm looking at you, Dodge).

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devyl posted:

This better be REALLY REALLY good. I hate when a company brings back an iconic nameplate, only to destroy it (I'm looking at you, Dodge).

They could have just called it the Coronet / Monaco. Or are you talking about the LOL 80s Challenger?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What are you guys talking about? I don't hate the Regal as a car or anything but what part of the Regal styling feels anything like a spiritual successor to the Grand National? Shouldn't they go for some sort of late-to-the-game modern retro styling like every other American muscle car did? If it's just some egg shaped Buick you might as well give it a different name.

A new GN, like the old one, shouldn't take more than 50 polygons to render in any video game :P

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Devyl posted:

the charger and challenger are pretty good cars. I mean bad interior and kind of fat but that describes the originals too.

davebo posted:

What are you guys talking about? I don't hate the Regal as a car or anything but what part of the Regal styling feels anything like a spiritual successor to the Grand National? Shouldn't they go for some sort of late-to-the-game modern retro styling like every other American muscle car did? If it's just some egg shaped Buick you might as well give it a different name.

A new GN, like the old one, shouldn't take more than 50 polygons to render in any video game :P

Well the old ones looked like boxes because all the cars at that time looked like boxes. The buick of now is attractive yet unremarkable, so a pretty good fit for the name.

The real spirit of the Grand National is turbo charging and kind of aggressive yet generic styling.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Cream_Filling posted:

They could have just called it the Coronet / Monaco. Or are you talking about the LOL 80s Challenger?

I'm talking about how Dodge destroyed the Challenger name. It should've been a V8 only. I can see the R/T package, but a watered down V6 with automatic transmission? Weak.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

The funny thing is that the Cadillac ATS, suitably blacked out, is closer to that ideal than the current Regal is.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Devyl posted:

I'm talking about how Dodge destroyed the Challenger name. It should've been a V8 only. I can see the R/T package, but a watered down V6 with automatic transmission? Weak.

Err the original Challenger came with a Slant Six that only made like a 100 hp. All pony cars get subsidized by secretary specials.

If you're talking about destroying nameplates, the 4 cylinder only rebadged Mitsubishi Galant from the 80s is a far better example.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 26, 2012

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Devyl posted:

They didn't destroy anything? Low end Challengers in 70s came with a Slant6. They are just doing with the Challenger what Ford and Chevy are doing with the Mustang/Camaro. V6 models for volume, V8s on the upper end of that, and than that cash get funneled into crazy town low volume projects like the GT500 and ZL1. Next gen Challenger is going smaller and on a different platform, if they even keep that nameplate.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Devyl posted:

hate to break it to you but watered down v6s and autos are just as much a part of muscle car history as V8s and sticks. If anything we're lucky some of these new v6 versions are decent enough in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Xguard86 posted:

hate to break it to you but watered down v6s and autos are just as much a part of muscle car history as V8s and sticks.

Everyone gotta lose sometime.