Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Oh boy the Havel set! OH BOY BIG SMASH!

SMASH SMASH SMASH SMASH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, gently caress the skeleton dogs in Tomb. I have no clue how to fight these guys without a shield or ranged attack.

I dealt with those guys using a Divine Greatclub +5. Leaping fierce attack, regular attack. I love it when the game changes from, "I can't deal with this!" to "Hey I can farm a bunch of souls off these guys."

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Man, I just realized how big the gap is in mentality between Industrial and me, or what I think of as the Dark Souls way of thinking. Asking why you wouldn't do the thing to make the game easier when you're bad at it wouldn't even occur to me. If I wanted a LESS challenging game I would probably go play something else :confused:

I'm with you as far as satisfaction goes but what if you heard the story and atmosphere were really good so you picked it up. Then you wanted to unwind with a beer after a long day of work. I can understand how someone doesn't want to spend the remaining 3-4 hours before they go to bed frustrated. You know? Then again the tutorial pretty much let's you know how tough its gonna be.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I'm just going to break it to you plainly, juggling giant enemies like that is an important skill you're going to want to learn instead of relying on summoning others, because later on there's a fight against a boss which starts with one enemy and adds more as the fight continues. It's an extremely hectic and fun fight that you can either enjoy as the challenge it is, or cheese it entirely with a bunch of magic and poo poo with 2 sunbros.

The latter is possible but you cheat yourself out of a great experience with the former, and the fact that you did so now is kind of a red flag.

The hell are you talking about? 4 Kings isn't about managing enemies at all, it's a pure DPS race. And that fight sucks hard.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Industrial posted:

Wouldn't the first time be when you need the most help? Why would I need to summon to kill a boss I've already been able to solo. I'm pretty sure that's why summoning is part of the game.

If you find a boss too difficult, go ahead and summon someone, you can always start another game and beat them solo then, when you feel you're ready for the challenge.
Playing games is about having fun. Play the game the way it's fun for you.

Also, anyone knows if there's a summon limit? I tought it would be interesting to summon a small army against a boss. Make them all deprived, starting level and gear so it's still a challenge.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dragonwagon posted:

If you find a boss too difficult, go ahead and summon someone, you can always start another game and beat them solo then, when you feel you're ready for the challenge.
Playing games is about having fun. Play the game the way it's fun for you.

Also, anyone knows if there's a summon limit? I tought it would be interesting to summon a small army against a boss. Make them all deprived, starting level and gear so it's still a challenge.

You can only summon two white/gold phantoms.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Aww. :(

So what's the limit on invaders?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Man, I just realized how big the gap is in mentality between Industrial and me, or what I think of as the Dark Souls way of thinking. Asking why you wouldn't do the thing to make the game easier when you're bad at it wouldn't even occur to me. If I wanted a LESS challenging game I would probably go play something else :confused:

The more you break the Souls game, the better you are at them. In Demon's Souls I got the Flamelurker caught in geometry and poisn clouded the last boss to death. In Dark Souls I summon twinked out sunbros to kill every boss for me. :colbert:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Correction: You can only summon two white/gold/red phantoms. I believe you can get invaded by regular means up to 3 times at the same time as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dragonwagon posted:

I think only one black phantom can get you at once. 2v1 is possible in the forest though. No idea about Darkmoon phantoms.

edit: But the guy directly above me says I'm wrong. Probably go with him, I'm just talking about my personal experience.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I'm almost to blighttown. I know the back and front entrance. I just defeated the gaping dragon and got the key and a lot of souls (relatively for the beginning game).

What should I spend my souls on. I'm still using what is basically starter gear + the sword and shield by the undead dragon (sword + 2). Should I continue upgrading the sword and what armor should I get? There's that merchant by the entrance of blighttown that's selling a set of armor.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think you can only have one red phantom invade you at a time. You can break this limit by being in the catbro forest and getting invaded by two blue phantoms. Catbro invasions dont count toward red invasions so you can have 3 invaders at a time. I think with gravelording you can get invaded by two blue phantoms as well. Not really sure if darkmoons can invade you twice at the same time.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 26, 2012

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
More than one red phantom can invade the same person, it's just not very common.

I know this because I have betrayed multiple red phantoms with a backstab. The host is mine.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Iretep posted:

I think you can only have one red phantom invade you at a time. You can break this limit by being in the catbro forest and getting invaded by two blue phantoms. Catbro invasions dont count toward red invasions so you can have 3 invaders at a time. I think with gravelording you can get invaded by two blue phantoms as well. Not really sure if darkmoons can invade you twice at the same time.

You can definitely be invaded by more than one spirit of vengeance at a time, at least in dark Anor Londo! :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Why did nobody tell me how great the Demon Greataxe is? Totally worth the humanities I popped to increase my item find clearing out the Ruins of Taurus Demons. It's only at +10 and does more damage per hit with less stamina drain than my +8 fire zweihander. Shorter range, though, and I can't one-hand it.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

So it's entirely possible to get a phantom of each color and then pretend to be Power Rangers.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

GoldenNugget posted:

So I'm almost to blighttown. I know the back and front entrance. I just defeated the gaping dragon and got the key and a lot of souls (relatively for the beginning game).

What should I spend my souls on. I'm still using what is basically starter gear + the sword and shield by the undead dragon (sword + 2). Should I continue upgrading the sword and what armor should I get? There's that merchant by the entrance of blighttown that's selling a set of armor.

You really don't need to buy armor as an upgrade. Your sword should be at least +5 by Blightown. Armor upgrade is optional, the way Dark Souls works is that the difference between armors is always a trade-off between between and certain defenses, so you don't really need to buy new armor. Just figure out whether you like light/medium/heavy and pick a set (or combo) that looks cool.

Upgrading yours to +4 might be smart though, but prioritize your weapon.

But if your going to tackle Blightown absolutely stock up on Blooming purple moss, regular purple moss. You can buy some from the undead female merchant you access through the Depth kitchens (which will also unlock a shortcut back to Firelink). Also the treefolk near the blacksmith will reliably drop them.

Take care, Blighttown is misery. When you make it to the next area there's a very easy way to grind Large Titanite Shards to upgrade your weapon to +10.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 26, 2012

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think there's a difference between being bad at a game and being new at a game.

Despite the semi-consensus that I hosed myself over by using an in-game mechanic in exactly the way it is designed I wiped the floor with Capra Demon on my first try and also killed that big rear end in a top hat in brushwood armor with the phallic club. This butterfly can go gently caress itself though, I assume I need to use ranged attacks here?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Industrial posted:

I think there's a difference between being bad at a game and being new at a game.

Despite the semi-consensus that I hosed myself over by using an in-game mechanic in exactly the way it is designed I wiped the floor with Capra Demon on my first try and also killed that big rear end in a top hat in brushwood armor with the phallic club. This butterfly can go gently caress itself though, I assume I need to use ranged attacks here?
You can used ranged attacks or magic, but if you wait for a bit, it perches on a place where you can melee it for a bit and does a charge-up move.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Industrial posted:

The butterfly will periodically land and let you smack it around for a bit. Honestly I find it easier to just wait for it to land than bother trying to attack it with ranged magic. Trying to cast and dodge at the same time throws me off.

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.

Industrial posted:

gently caress that, summon the witch and collect your free souls.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, screw fighting the butterfly legitimately. Instead of dodging and waiting for it to come down, I'll dodge and wait for Beatrice to kill the gently caress out of it.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

Industrial posted:

To go against what everyone else has said, I don't think you hosed yourself over at all by summoning help. In fact, when I was new to the game, I learned a lot about mechanics and tactics by watching how my summoned help dealt with various situations I had been dying repeatedly to.

As for the butterfly, just block his thin spear-like magic attacks and dodge the big gloopy ones. Eventually, he'll just tire out and rest his head on the ledge; use this opportunity to smash his head in.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Dragonwagon posted:

You can have up to 3 phantoms/invaders at one time. Only up to two people can be summoned via signs, any slots not taken by a phantom can be used by an invader.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Lazy Programming posted:

You can have up to 3 phantoms/invaders at one time. Only up to two people can be summoned via signs, any slots not taken by a phantom can be used by an invader.

You can't have, for example, 3 Darkwraiths though, right? You can have max 1 Darkwraith and maybe 2 Spirits of Vengeance, or a summoned invader too through the red soapstone?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I don't know - the first time I played through the game I feel like I kind of cheated myself out of some really cool fights by summoning.

There are two instances I really regret - the first is O+S. This was way back when the game first came out and everyone was freaking out about them so I got scared and summoned two gold phantoms and defeated them in a single run. Now whenever I get to them I do it solo, but I still regret never being able to experience that mind-bending pain that is fighting them before you know the difference between fast and mid roll.

The other one is Papa Skeleton. I managed to get two other dudes with Flame Zweihanders to come help me. It was a sad day for Papa Skeleton :(

At very least always try the boss(es) at least 3-5 times before summoning for help. Don't repeat my mistakes!!!

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

superh posted:

You can't have, for example, 3 Darkwraiths though, right? You can have max 1 Darkwraith and maybe 2 Spirits of Vengeance, or a summoned invader too through the red soapstone?

You can have 3 darkwraiths invade you, but you have to use the dried finger between invasions.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I got my Dark Souls activation code from Amazon a couple weeks ago and installed it on my PC by adding the code through Steam; I wanted to try running it on my laptop but I don't get an install icon for Dark Souls when I open Steam on the laptop. It does show up in my library, though. Re-activating the code doesn't work; it tells me I have the game but won't let me re-install it. Anyone else run into this/solve this problem?

A bit more relevant content for newer players than I:

Be very, very careful with Fire Keeper souls. I like to run through my item menu and consume souls en masse, and I burned my first Fire Keeper soul that way so I lost the Estus + 1.

After being as careful as humanly possible with them, I made sure that I gave as many as I could to the Anor Londo Fire Keeper. Including Anastacia's.:doh:

I think I just need to stick notes to my monitor or something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

<--- first-time player

I thought that the butterfly was the easiest boss yet. But my guy is a sorcerer who does tons of damage with spells, so there's that. Regardless, I think about half of my damage in that fight was with melee; the butterfly gives you a nice long time to unload when it lands.

And I just beat a giant dragon that was basically made of teeth, holy poo poo this game

I'm loving this game so far. I saw some pages back that people generally prefer pyromancy over dragon magic; I only have the spells from the first trainers for each school, so I don't have a lot of range for comparison, but I prefer the extra versatility of dragon magic (longer range, homing projectiles, only slightly less damage, and magic weapon is awesome). Of course, if I were doing a Dex or Str build then Pyromancy would be better

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

superh posted:

I think you can have 3 darkwraiths, but I also believe there's a timer on being invaded that you can reset with a certain item. So you'll go human, get invaded, then have 10-15 minutes or so of being uninvadable, which is why you generally don't see it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
And here I thought the lesson for the Gargs was "you have Solaire/Lautrec, feel free to use him/them" to avoid getting swarmed for bosses. I suppose summoning another player might actually break that sequence, but hey.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

<--- first-time player

I thought that the butterfly was the easiest boss yet. But my guy is a sorcerer who does tons of damage with spells, so there's that. Regardless, I think about half of my damage in that fight was with melee; the butterfly gives you a nice long time to unload when it lands.

And I just beat a giant dragon that was basically made of teeth, holy poo poo this game

I'm loving this game so far. I saw some pages back that people generally prefer pyromancy over dragon magic; I only have the spells from the first trainers for each school, so I don't have a lot of range for comparison, but I prefer the extra versatility of dragon magic (longer range, homing projectiles, only slightly less damage, and magic weapon is awesome). Of course, if I were doing a Dex or Str build then Pyromancy would be better

The beauty in Pyromancy is that it's strength is completely independent of stats and level. A fully upgraded pyro flame is basically a trump card for a low level run.

With high Int sorcery is stupid owerpowered though.

Dragonwagon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 27, 2012

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Iretep posted:

Correction: You can only summon two white/gold/red phantoms. I believe you can get invaded by regular means up to 3 times at the same time as well.

What about the shriveled claw? Does that let you get more invaders?

I want to go to Catbro forest with two friendlies, get invaded by two catbros, a dickwraith, and a moonbro, and have a gigantic brawl.

Basically I just want a gigantic pile of shiny people running around, slicing each other up

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Magres posted:

I want to go to Catbro forest with two friendlies, get invaded by two catbros, a dickwraith, and a moonbro, and have a gigantic brawl.

Basically I just want a gigantic pile of shiny people running around, slicing each other up

Caps at 3 spooky glowy people.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Sunbro Glow ain't spooky. It's ~grossly incandescent~

Magres posted:

I think the Dried Finger basically removes that invasion cooldown period where you're temporarily free of invasions.
Also, there's a total limit of three phantoms in a given session, be them friendly or bloodthirsty. So you can have two phantom buddies and only one aggressive phantom can invade you at a time. At the other end of the spectrum, you can have nobody and get invaded by a trio of dudes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Co-op Dark Souls is just a completely different experience than solo Dark Souls, and you only ever get one first run. Don't waste it :ohdear:

Solo Dark Souls:

Co-op Dark Souls:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^^^^^ I don't think I could ever get tired of that coop gif.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That sunbro in the background is out of sync!

Also, if we're posting Channeler Trident dance offs, we need to link this:
http://youtu.be/d13fCKP6hB4

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
And the classic video everyone loves. Gather round the fire with your loved ones this holiday season and experience Yatta for the first time all over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iPvmAclM0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Black Knight Sword made the butterfly silly. Killed him on his first landing.

• Locked thread