Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's happening here, exactly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G57WRNqdY08&t=282s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failure.

(More specifically he's playing dead, presumably trying to get the race red-flagged so he can keep his position at the beginning of the lap he crashed - I think this might have been posted, standalone, here before)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the dickhead's faking injury to try to get the race red-flagged in the hopes that he can get a restart and get back on the grid. Pretty sure the video got him banned from racing for a while, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM-xYGBP19A

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh, what a loser. I'm surprised, though -- sure, he faked it, but no marshals go to see what's going on? And they don't actually flag the race until he's been lying there on the track for like 2 minutes? No riders stop to try and save him for even longer? Sure the first few would have seen the fake, and I know it's generally forbidden to stop and help someone else in a race lest you make a bigger accident, but then again there are usually medics and marshals and stuff who spring out pretty quickly to help so there's no need to.

Weird. (and I guess race bikes don't even have a little lightweight aluminum kickstand, huh -- the guys who do finally go to help just dump their bikes in the grass)

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

invision posted:

I thought the 2012 end of the world doomsday poo poo was fake.

I'm okay with this because it takes two horrible sub cultures of motorcycling that take themselves way too seriously and in one miraculous blow upsets everyone involved.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
After 2 or 3 years I finally found out where to get these stickers.

http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/shirts-mugs-posters-more/stickers-and-magnets/japan-nein.html

Just got 5 in the mail. :hitler:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

After 2 or 3 years I finally found out where to get these stickers.

http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/shirts-mugs-posters-more/stickers-and-magnets/japan-nein.html

Just got 5 in the mail. :hitler:

Need one of those on this:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Tis the season!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

God, that entire video.

I never get tired of seeing teenagers hurt themselves doing stupid poo poo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

slidebite posted:

God, that entire video.

I never get tired of seeing teenagers hurt themselves doing stupid poo poo.

To be that young/idiotic/immortal again...

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
The footage from inside the boat (the bit the vid preview image is from) is loving brutal!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A compilation of incredible crash recoveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7AxSVeqPE

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Goddam, those are some serious skills.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

When I saw the preview image I didn't think it was going to be possible, but those guys are good. Especially the one with the camelbak. And I'm really impressed how calm they look after they save it. I'd be shaking so hard I'd have to pull over but they just keep it leaned over and cruise away.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Why do so many people crash there? coming in too fast trying to look cool?

theperminator fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 27, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That specific spot on Mullholland? I've been told that there's a small dip in the road about 3/4 through that one corner, so people riding harder than they should be often gently caress it up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

theperminator posted:

Why do so many people crash there? coming in too fast trying to look cool?

I'm guessing you mean the crash video below rather than the fail compilation one he was talking to but yeah I'd say so - or at leas that combined with what looks like a pretty brutal on-camber which can catch people out as badly as off-camber (because they have lots of lean left they think they still have lots of lateral grip left, give it too much throttle and end up highsiding it), which accounts for half of the crashes recoveries in that video, withe the other half being people target-fixating on the rock wall or big loving drop and driving right into it.

Also that dude in the t-shirt on the big cruiser is awesome. Lack of gear means nothing if you can literally walk away just before the crash happens.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That corner turns offcamber at the end, it's slightly decreasing radius, it's a little bumpy, and they want to show off for the camera. Bike feels good when they're in the on camber part of the turn, then on exit they're adding throttle cause the turn is "over", despite the fact that it's tightening up on them and going offcamber. They have to keep the bike leaned over to make the corner but they're adding throttle and effective lean is increasing due to it going off camber and down they go.

It's not a bad corner, it's just got the decreasing radius bit plus the camber and the camera. Usually any one of those things are enough to make someone trying too hard crash, all 3 together means you get a lot of crash footage.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The bagger was by far the best, a running leap back onto the bike, throwing sparks on the way out and exiting the turn (backwards) like a boss.

And yes, that is probably the most technical turn on the snake, there are many tighter, lower speed corners but that one specifically has the most change in the apex as well as the angle of the road. That + showoff = crash on many occasions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rnickeymouse is probably making bank off those videos too since most of them have millions of views. Making cake off other people crashing, you'd think he was in insurance.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I make ~$100 per 10k views off my retarded videos of just me riding that people watch from time to time. You wouldn't believe the actual click through on youtube ads... I have no idea whos actually clicking these things. But hes totally making mint off those.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spiffness posted:

I make ~$100 per 10k views off my retarded videos of just me riding that people watch from time to time. You wouldn't believe the actual click through on youtube ads... I have no idea whos actually clicking these things. But hes totally making mint off those.

Perhaps 98 out of 100 times, I'll miss the little X that closes the ad and accidentally click through. I usually manage to close the tab before the page loads. Rnickeymouse, or whoever owns the particular cat video I'm watching, might get paid but if my accidents are any indicator, this whole clickthrough economy is a bit of a bubble.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Sunday I went on a Toys For Tots ride. This was my first time riding in a group this large (~5000 bikes) and probably my last. I usually ride alone or with three other people I know pretty well. As bikes in front start up getting ready to start the ride I hear the guy next to me mumble something about "drink a beer". A few seconds later I look his way and see him pounding down the rest of his beer. Just what I want to be next to in the middle of 5000 motorcycles.

Screenshot taken from this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGYW59w4mYU
The whole ride is in the rest of my videos but not much happens.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't understand why he had to finish his beer...? There's a cupholder right in front of him.

semon demon
Jul 31, 2006

That sorta shits way too common. Couple of months ago I'm stopped at a dam mid-ride in the western NC mountains, taking a quick break at a little pull-off with bathrooms etc and a view when a group of 5 or so bikes (goldwings and harleys) with retirees and their wives on the backs roll up. First thing out of their mouths is something about a beeping, turns out that it was TWO of their low tire pressure sensors going off but nobody seemed incredibly concerned. Next thing they're busting out the cooler and passing out the beers. All of this in public in the middle of the day.

Rant over, have some content!

via http://adamnickel.com/prints.html

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

nsaP posted:

I don't understand why he had to finish his beer...? There's a cupholder right in front of him.

I guess he didn't want to start the ride with only half a beer. Too hard to open a new one while riding.

EDIT: Maybe not

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 27, 2012

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Sunday I went on a Toys For Tots ride. This was my first time riding in a group this large (~5000 bikes) and probably my last. I usually ride alone or with three other people I know pretty well. As bikes in front start up getting ready to start the ride I hear the guy next to me mumble something about "drink a beer". A few seconds later I look his way and see him pounding down the rest of his beer. Just what I want to be next to in the middle of 5000 motorcycles.

You really think it's going to affect Captain McBeergut and the slow speed handling and response time of his 900 lb dresser at low speeds that badly?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ever felt like you needed to spend $5300 on a moped to impress your hipster buddies? Janus has you covered.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Collateral Damage posted:

Ever felt like you needed to spend $5300 on a moped to impress your hipster buddies? Janus has you covered.

Would totally buy if I could.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

That looks really nice to work on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

High Protein posted:

That looks really nice to work on.

Literally the only positive thing that can be said about the bike. The rest is either terrible or ridiculous.

Edit: And not even 100%...why does the exhaust exit on the chain side?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

nsaP posted:

Literally the only positive thing that can be said about the bike. The rest is either terrible or ridiculous.

Edit: And not even 100%...why does the exhaust exit on the chain side?

Hadn't noticed that, what the heck.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that a water cooled moped? That's loving pimp.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, this wasn't the best day to ride. Doing over 40 mph would make my fingers go completely numb in a matter of minutes.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Heated gloves my friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats actually pretty cool. Water cooled, the chamber looks like it has some actual design thought put behind it. Oil injection. Decent forks.

Those brakes (lol), and hardtail/seat (double LOL) though

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What is that on the seat, is that ice? Or just water and an odd angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Shimrod posted:

What is that on the seat, is that ice? Or just water and an odd angle?

That is frost...Made riding into work a tad tricky in the shadowed areas of the road this morning... that and it was 18 degrees out(at least it was where i was at).