Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chaltab posted:

To clarify, have you only been playing those three within Nintendo Land, or have you only booted up Nintendo Land to the exclusion of any other game?

Eh... I cleared World 1 of NSMBU, but in Nintendo Land all I have played is Crash Course, the balloon game and Pikmin. It's sad that I haven't even wanted to venture into the other games yet within Nintendo Land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zortzico posted:

I just noticed in my download management screen it says that my Download Status is currently downloading, but it's been like that for about 2 days now. Is there some huge update coming in or is it just saying that because i'm connected online?

Click on it and see!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toady posted:

I'm anxious for news on Gamecube games and other digital downloads. Metroid Prime Trilogy is hard to find these days...

I know it's Nintendo but if they ever made HD conversions of GC and Wii games then that would be the best thing ever. HD Wind Waker. :allears:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gendo posted:

I'm basically done with NSMBU and now I'm faced with the dreaded task of finding a second game. I'll have tons of houseguests from mid-December on at which point I'll get Nintendo land but in the meantime I'm thinking of picking up Scribblenauts.

Is the main complaint about it just that it's too derivative from prior handheld versions? Because I haven't played any of those. It'll be entirely new to me.

It's a Wii game, but Wario Ware is pretty good for groups although you need to play some single-player to unlock the multiplay.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Got my 1.5 TB external in the mail today and now I'll never have to worry about storage for my WiiU again. I'm still so happy I don't have to shell out a huge amount of money for some lovely specific HD. Yes, I'm still bitter about having to pay $100 for just a measly 20 GB for my 360 :argh:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Man-Thing posted:

I'm playing it through as a Scribblenauts virgin, and while it's fun, it isn't exactly challenging. It's more like a guided tour, and every puzzle is stupidly obvious,

I've never played a scribblenauts game because my handwriting is atrocious, but they sound pretty fun.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

LividLiquid posted:

I've never played a scribblenauts game because my handwriting is atrocious, but they sound pretty fun.
The only input for text in scribblenauts games is a keyboard (onscreen, except for PC Scribblenauts Unlimited). Did you think it used handwriting recognition for some reason?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Trademarked posted:

The true way to play Scribblenauts is to ignore the obvious solutions and find completely insane ones, ie the legless one mentioned above.

Witch: "Children won't stop eating my Gingerbread house! Make them stop!"

Solution: Ok, add adjective: "Maneating" to the house. Look! The children have been devoured and the house is safe, oh and the witch got eaten too, maybe I need to take another crack at this.

And why can't a pioneer brave the Oregon trail with a cart pulled by a Shoggoth?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bionic posted:

The only input for text in scribblenauts games is a keyboard (onscreen, except for PC Scribblenauts Unlimited). Did you think it used handwriting recognition for some reason?

Because it does (the original DS game lets you swap between the two).

Underwhelmed posted:

Witch: "Children won't stop eating my Gingerbread house! Make them stop!"

Can you make the gingerbread house poisonous? :eng101: (I haven't shelled out for Scribblenauts on Steam yet, waiting for a sale)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Piper posted:

there's not enough love for Sonic Racing in this thread. Granted, I haven't played a Kart racer since the Mario Kart on Gamecube, so I'm largely unaware of how Kart racers have evolved over the past decade. Still though, I was not expecting this much depth and polish (glitched drift challenges aside) from a $40 game.

Really what impresses me most with Sonic and All Stars Racing is the course design. The House of the Dead map is freakin' amazing. It has zombies jumping around in a bouncy castle just to the side of one sharp turn. ZOMBIES ON A BOUNCY CASTLE!

I've been playing it a lot trying to unlock stuff and you're right, it's an amazing game with tons of polish and lots of love for the history of Sega. I'll try online later today, so add me if you wanna play, I'm in as Calaveron.

LividLiquid posted:

You can use a flamethrower to burn down that tree, equip Maxwell with a jetpack to reach the starite, or summon a lumberjack to do your work for you. It's a pretty creative game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bionic posted:

I did. This is super good news.

Edit: 60 Bucks?! Ugh. I'll wait for a sale. I don't own a 360 or a PS3. Did Microsoft and Sony follow Valve's lead and have sales on software and lowering prices over time, or is it pretty much one price forever?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Katana Gomai posted:

Because it does (the original DS game lets you swap between the two).

Can you make the gingerbread house poisonous? :eng101: (I haven't shelled out for Scribblenauts on Steam yet, waiting for a sale)

Yes.

Or you could give it the ability to run away, or make it scary, or dozens of other things.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

Bombadilillo posted:

Click on it and see!

Says there's no system updates, and there's no status or progress bar. Just says "Downloading"

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That just means you have it set to download anything that comes in (even if there's nothing), as opposed to "paused".

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I still can't get over how good the gamepad's speakers are. Earlier in the thread someone said that their tv had been muted and they didn't notice because the sound from the gamepad was just as good, and it seemed a little far fetched. Nope. This thing is pretty drat nice.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Does anyone have experience playing wii games on the wii u over hdmi on a relatively large HDTV? I have a 60 inch tv and while I do want a wii u, the main thing ill be doing until more games get released that I want will be playing wii games that I've missed. However, I've read that that wii games look terrible on larger tvs and feel that this would make me return the system :(

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Fleedar posted:

Just a heads up, the gold nunchuk is available again in the NA Club Nintendo store for 900 coins. It's probably going to disappear quickly.

I grabbed one of these to go with my Zelda Wii-Mote. I'm far too excited about it. I was so pissed when I missed it the first time and have been hoarding coins ever since.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
FYI Scribblenauts is easy as hell because the series is aimed at little kids. I'm not saying it's not cool or fun but that's why you can solve the puzzles extremely easily if you feel like it.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Gendo posted:

I'm now warming back to Scribblenauts. :q:
You can literally have Wally Szczerbiak fight Kevin Garnett in this game. The missions are easy but that's all in how imaginative you want to be, it isn't supposed to be a hardcore style game. Creating things is where most of the value in the game is from.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

FYI Scribblenauts is easy as hell because the series is aimed at little kids. I'm not saying it's not cool or fun but that's why you can solve the puzzles extremely easily if you feel like it.
Are you sure?

A.) Little kids are a lot smarter than people sometimes thing.

B.) Most of the references I've seen made in scribblenauts are things kids wouldn't get.

Super Mario 3 was for kids too, but it was hard as balls.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Kids stuff is always filled with things kids wouldn't get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXEC8kcbqc

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Kids stuff is always filled with things kids wouldn't get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlXEC8kcbqc

For those who don't get the reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUk_lVULz6o

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
I went to Target today, they had at least 4 Wii-U's that I could see: 2 black ones and 2 white ones.

It feels weird to just see them there ready to be sold. In 2006 when the Wii launched, you couldn't find a Wii sitting on a store shelf on the entire planet for months.

It just felt wrong to see them there. Possibly weirder that I didn't buy one. That was sort of a litmus test for me. If they are here now, when the demand should be at its highest, they'll still be there later.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Scribblenauts is incredibly easy. What else can you expect when the game is aimed at kids and you're only limited by your imagination and spelling?

Even if you run into a head-scratcher (and there are some, believe it or not), if you take long enough the game will drop a big hint on you. If you still can't figure it out, it outright tells you the answer.

Ex: "This mermaid is lonely, help her out!" Hint 1: "What kind of creature would a mermaid get along with?" Hint 2: "Spawn a freaking merman dude."

All that said, the game is really fun if you like just messing around. I've spent more time on the object editor and messing around with all of the objects than I care to admit. But for sixty bucks it's super pricey, it's half-price on Steam.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am really late to the parade, but seeing that pic of someone playing the Wii U in his car is seriously making me consider buying two consoles. One for home and one to permanently install in my car for the kids.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Does ZombiU come with Club Nintendo points if you buy it from the eshop?

Ixpodsix
Dec 4, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Edit: 60 Bucks?! Ugh. I'll wait for a sale. I don't own a 360 or a PS3. Did Microsoft and Sony follow Valve's lead and have sales on software and lowering prices over time, or is it pretty much one price forever?

Just FYI, it's on sale at Target for $40 if you've got one around.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Chunk posted:

Does ZombiU come with Club Nintendo points if you buy it from the eshop?

Yes. That link also lists other eligible titles; the only physical Wii U games that are eligible for Club Nintendo coins are those published by Nintendo. Everything in the eShop is eligible for coins, however.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

sleepness posted:

Does anyone have experience playing wii games on the wii u over hdmi on a relatively large HDTV? I have a 60 inch tv and while I do want a wii u, the main thing ill be doing until more games get released that I want will be playing wii games that I've missed. However, I've read that that wii games look terrible on larger tvs and feel that this would make me return the system :(

Wii games are upscaled and look better generally, but if you really need the specific experience of a 60" tv I couldn't tell you. Nobody has complained that Wii games look worse.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

parasyte posted:

Yes. That link also lists other eligible titles; the only physical Wii U games that are eligible for Club Nintendo coins are those published by Nintendo. Everything in the eShop is eligible for coins, however.

Thanks! Hugely helpful.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Does club Nintendo send you post play surveys for games it detects you play, or only those you register? Because I rent a lot of games.

Also, is the deluxe promotion tired to these nintendo points?

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
Oh hello ZombiU thread

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Jesus, how do goons always think of thread titles like this? I wish I was that clever :smith:

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 27, 2012

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I did. This is super good news.

I know this is the WiiU thread, but it's $30 on Steam, and the hardware requirements can't be that high.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218680/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man, I hate to keep harping on this but I find this whole CPU situation baffling.

A few days ago the chief tech guy at 4 A games said they wouldn't be making a Wii U version of Metro: Last Light because it has a "horrible, slow CPU."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1687689/wii_u_has_a_horrible_slow_cpu_says_metro_last_light_dev.html

I'm still confused as to how they managed to pull this off considering how far CPU tech has come since the 360 launched.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
super scribblenauts had some hard levels in the end. The challenge to Scribblenauts is being creative. What's the fun of always doing the most rudimentary strategy? This the difference between children and adults. Adults look for the most basic correct answer. Children are imaginative.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope the e-shop starts taking off soon. PSN got some badass download-only titles, including some fairly popular cheap FPSs and such. It'd be so awesome if the WiiU got treated to some cheap, fun downloadable fps/rpg games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wasn't Metro one of the games in the montage at E3 when the Wii U was announced? Granted, that wes probably just THQ saying to Nintendo "Sure, we'll make that" before knowing if they even could.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are direct messages on the miiverse moderated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Veotax posted:

Wasn't Metro one of the games in the montage at E3 when the Wii U was announced? Granted, that wes probably just THQ saying to Nintendo "Sure, we'll make that" before knowing if they even could.

I'm pretty sure it was too. All the info around it is just a clusterfuck right now. Even those 4 A guys later put a semi-retraction up that that wasn't exactly what they ment and that they just didn't have the time to optimize it for it since they had no time as it was and the PS3 version took so much of their time and then someone associated said something similar but that they heard it's slow and yadda yadda. I'm just not taking anything anyone says on either side of any fence at face value right now. I know pretty and fun games can be made on it, I own 2 and those are just launch titles.

• Locked thread