Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Yeah as a huge tmnt fan from back when I was just a wee tyke, this show scratches all the right nostalgic itches and I find it especially nailed the character of each of the turtles.

I didn't like the look of splinter right off, but once he started snarking the hell out of the turtles I completely forgave that.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the inevitable Spinter/Shredder face off where the turtles get their asses kicked and Splinter shows up to save them by tossing shredder off a roof into a garbage truck.

Now if they only introduce Casey Jones to hit the switch on the truck, I will devote my life to this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Casey won't show up until Season 2, so you still have some time to set up your Turtle-shrine.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
New Splinter is my favorite thing, but I have to admit I'm still not liking that beard thing he has.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I love it. It allows him to stroke it knowingly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

PureRok posted:

I love it. It allows him to stroke it knowingly.

This is the entire purpose of growing a beard. Otherwise... why bother? Splinter knows what's up.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

ThermoPhysical posted:

Either way, I LOVE this show. Recycle Bin, you guys did an amazing job! Also, I was wondering where's your avatar from?

Porco Rosso :)

Dr_Amazing posted:

New Splinter is my favorite thing, but I have to admit I'm still not liking that beard thing he has.

Recycle Bin fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 19, 2012

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
This series is awesome, and gets better very episode. However I have to question the choice that was made to focus on Krang so early in the series. A good way to hook people in would have been to just focus on fights against the foot clan and Shredder early on, to give people an early look into what sort of awesome melee choreography the series can pull off, and to cement the classic feel of the series earlier.

Krangs shooting lazers might be easier to animate for sure, but I dont find them or their mutants particularly interesting enemies. I'm really glad we got to see some Shredder action!

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Just saw this this morning. I didn't realize how many shots were pulled from the original comics

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Recycle Bin posted:

Just saw this this morning. I didn't realize how many shots were pulled from the original comics

Man, we would have NEVER seen this in the original Ninja Turtles.
Did you guys watch the previous 2 shows during production?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Was looking for something to watch while at work and it turns out all the current episodes are on Amazon Prime in HD!

Edit, SHIIT just the Pre season episodes are free.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Episode 10 was pretty nice. Not as good as the previous one, mind you, but that one set the bar stupid high.
Also showed just how talented Mikey is when he puts his mind into it.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
My only complaint with this series are some of the monster-baddie designs. Dogpound is especially awful, between that super wide mouth and lopsided arms he just looks like a mess. I was really hoping he and Xever would be literally Bebop and Rocksteady, or even Tokka and Rahzar, instead of analogs. Apparently if I had paid more attention to the marketing/toys I would've known that wasn't in the cards. :(

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Agreed completely, there's just something off about every non-turtle character on the show. Which is a shame, because the series has really grown on me.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think he's alright. I'm not sure why dog DNA gave him spikes and rock fists, but he's cool.

Spike the pet turtle is definitely going to end up being Slash. I'm sure of it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I don't like how big he is.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Anyone notice how often the turtles end up getting kicked into each other?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Whoever voices Mikey just hits it out of the park every episode.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Donatello consistently makes me think of Mighty Max. I keep expecting him to talk to Vergil.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

PureRok posted:

Donatello consistently makes me think of Mighty Max. I keep expecting him to talk to Vergil.

Donatello just reminds me of when the 80's cartoon had coloring errors. THAT'S RAPH'S VOICE.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Whoever voices Mikey just hits it out of the park every episode.

"Not the pizza! She's gone rogue!" is now one of my favorite lines ever.

Really enjoying this show. Grew up on the original (forever a Donatello fan) and didn't really have many expectations with this new series. Now I'm hooked. Love those go-karts (it's a patrol buggy!).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's because Donatello is Mighty Max.

I was surprised that Sean Astin and Jason Biggs are Raphael and Leonardo respectively. Who would've thought that Samwise is the angriest turtle?

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

Couple of cool tidbits. Corey Feldman is going to be in season 2, proof that this show is really just an elaborate con to get the goonies back together. Also, we were nominated for three Annie Awards. Yay!

Directing in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
Michael Chang, ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Never Say Xever’ – Nickelodeon Animation Studios

Storyboarding in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
Irineo Marramba, Ciro Nieli, ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: I Think His Name is Baxter Stockman’’ – Nickelodeon Animation Studios

Voice Acting in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
Mae Whitman as April O'Neil – ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Rise of the Turtles’ – Nickelodeon Animation Studios

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Thought the new episode today was a good filler episode. Loved the mousers.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Not sure if anyone caught it, but just before the phone got destroyed, there was an incoming call that displayed a closeup of a brunette girl wearing glasses with the name Irma above it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I sure did.

I hope something happens soon, though. The episodes are starting to kind of get a bit samey.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Have to give them credit for what I assume was a Kool-Aid Man reference when Bradford busted through the brick wall and yelled "Oh Yeah!".

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

PureRok posted:

I sure did.

I hope something happens soon, though. The episodes are starting to kind of get a bit samey.

I think this episode got a few things established for future. Mousers now exist, Stockman is working for Shredder, Fishface is going to be a factor, and the Purple Dragons nature has begun to change.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Recycle Bin posted:

Couple of cool tidbits. Corey Feldman is going to be in season 2, proof that this show is really just an elaborate con to get the goonies back together. Also, we were nominated for three Annie Awards. Yay!

That's pretty good news. I'd say this show deserves an award or three.

Spike, chew on your leaf if you think this show deserves an award.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Teek posted:

Have to give them credit for what I assume was a Kool-Aid Man reference when Bradford busted through the brick wall and yelled "Oh Yeah!".

Yeah, it's not the first time they've done that. One of the earlier episodes had a more outright "OH YEAH!" before busting through a wall.

In fact, I'm pretty sure it was the last Baxter Stockman episode.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Man can't wait to get Casey Jones going. I'm hoping we get some Leather Head too. Especially if he's crazy Cajun version.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Man can't wait to get Casey Jones going. I'm hoping we get some Leather Head too. Especially if he's crazy Cajun version.

I believe next weeks episode will infact be Leatherhead.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So how's Xever getting back into the game? I hope Baxter builds him some ridiculous robot legs.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Dr_Amazing posted:

So how's Xever getting back into the game? I hope Baxter builds him some ridiculous robot legs.

Giant robot with a fishbowl cockpit. I am imagining it now and it is awesome.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Dr_Amazing posted:

Well, there's the sewers, aren't there?

I liked the design of the mousers and really enjoyed the shots and colors in the episode, and thought the premise of the episode is pretty important, but the execution was kinda clunky. There isn't really any indication of Donnie and Mikey being as vital to the team as Leo and Raph; Donnie just tells them how the Mousers function (whereas they would have broken the spraybottle without them anyway) and Mikey just runs away from Dogpound a bit. They've done more important stuff in previous episodes, but here, I felt like they could have been written out of the script.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Haven't been to a toy store lately?

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutan...9&keywords=tmnt

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I need to start buying children's toys for myself again apparently.

horriblePencilist posted:

I liked the design of the mousers and really enjoyed the shots and colors in the episode, and thought the premise of the episode is pretty important, but the execution was kinda clunky. There isn't really any indication of Donnie and Mikey being as vital to the team as Leo and Raph; Donnie just tells them how the Mousers function (whereas they would have broken the spraybottle without them anyway) and Mikey just runs away from Dogpound a bit. They've done more important stuff in previous episodes, but here, I felt like they could have been written out of the script.

I get what you're saying but give Don some credit. Leo and Ralph were pretty willing to just let Baxter spray them with crap. Don figured it out instantly and gave them a solution. Plus he also built a working battle robot, interconnecting cars, and voice activated cell phones that work underground.

I think we're supposed see Mikey's ability to improvise or think outside the box, but year we didn't really see it there.

I do like that Baxter decided that a criminal gang was the perfect target for his mouser test run. Just another way he's a genius idiot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Smart guys do a lot of dumb things in the name of "I know what I'm doing," and that's basically Baxter Stockman to a tee.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Dr_Amazing posted:

I need to start buying children's toys for myself again apparently.

I get what you're saying but give Don some credit. Leo and Ralph were pretty willing to just let Baxter spray them with crap. Don figured it out instantly and gave them a solution. Plus he also built a working battle robot, interconnecting cars, and voice activated cell phones that work underground.

I think we're supposed see Mikey's ability to improvise or think outside the box, but year we didn't really see it there.

I do like that Baxter decided that a criminal gang was the perfect target for his mouser test run. Just another way he's a genius idiot.

I'm not saying Don isn't a smart guy, I'm just saying that wasn't displayed well in this episode. Baxter waving around the spray like that would have gotten it destroyed sooner or later, so Donnie's analysis wasn't as vital as his actions during Metalhead, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This was like the best episode of the season. If only because of Splinter's fight. But the entire story with Leatherhead and Mike was very well done. The characterization on this show works so incredibly well.

I'm really loving how 2d animation is inserted on this show. Not just on flashbacks, but for effects, like snakeweeds transformation sequence or the dimension X trip this episode. I do hope someone puts all the Space Heroes segments into a youtube video at some point, I'd like to see what the Star Trek thread thinks of them.

You know what amazes me? People highlight the flaws of the animation of this show and Transformers Prime. But really, when I was a kid I started with a computer that could just show four colors, and have basically watched a staggering evolution. CGI effects at first were barely heard of. I've watched animation change over the years radically. It amazes me that a CGI TV shows can have now. Things like realistic looking effects with water and smoke - when CGI shows like Beast Wars first came out, when Toy Story was first in theaters, just shadows were something unheard of in CG animation.
But CG animation has now possibly outpaced 2d animation in some ways. These shows have character models that can show personality with little things in body language and expression and fast paced action sequences at once. I mean, the fast but readable changes in expression and little shifts in posture are something that would take a Disney motion picture budget in 2d.
The ONLY problem is how to model multiple stages and character models. So in both shows mentioned most of the locations are mostly devoid of human life, and are limited in the number of characters they can have. But if you come in from a perspective of having seen things change from 20 years ago and accepting what the production team has to work with makes a great show even more appreciable. Besides, in another 5-10 years there may be answers to those limitations and beyond.

• Locked thread