Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yoshi's tongue being controlled with the pointer is a really clever mechanic that's a bit understated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Does it turn everything into Mario heads or whatever it was happened in Super Mario World?

It's more like an awful punishment for completionists than an Easter egg.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I am in the "All stars but that final one" club. This game took me an embarrassing long time to "beat", too.

I like this one and the original SMG about the same. I know there are a lot of people out there who say that this game refined the things SMG1 did wrong, but they really seemed the same to me, outside of this one getting much harder later on than the original did.

SMG1 was one of the last few games I got absolutely hooked on, as well. I didn't really get the same way with SMG2, which may be partly due to--at it's core--these two games being the same thing.

Also, holy hell does this game get difficult. I need to just say that one more time. I really hope they reward you nicely for the hell they put you through to 100% it.

e: Oh, and coincidentally I watched both of Diabetus' Battletoads LPs while bored over the holiday. It's kind of neat to be able to watch one of his LPs from the beginning.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

President Ark posted:

What is it with younger siblings and deleting save files? Why do they always do this? :argh:
One time, the Sega Saturn trolled the gently caress out of my family by doing this on its own. I started it up one day, and we had the memory card for it which was the size of a SNES cartridge you stick behind the CD-opening top.
Turns out either my memory card or the Saturn memory cards in general were a piece of poo poo, and it completely wiped out my dad's save file of Tomb Raider.

He was on the last level.

He blamed me for deleting the memory and punished me for it even after I swore I didn't touch it :(

Then about two weeks later the memory card wiped itself in front of his eyes and he...I THINK he apologised but I wish I could remember that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

President Ark posted:

What is it with younger siblings and deleting save files? Why do they always do this? :argh:

I did this once accidentally with Mario Party 2. It had this really annoying feature where if you saved a game in the middle, it would ask you every time you started it up if you wanted to resume or not, and you couldn't ever get rid of it.

So I look through the options trying to find a cure and come across the option I need: "Delete Saved Game Data"

... I'm sorry. :saddowns:

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012

President Ark posted:

We younger siblings do this most of the time because we're don't know what we are doing.
When we learn what we did made others have such a funny reaction(to us) we try it again with something else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vicas posted:

helloeveryonethisissirronlionheartandwelcomebacktopart127ofsupermariogalaxynumber2 HAH HAH

Shhh don't spoil the list of guests for future videos!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One thing about this game that I'm kind of unsure about is the skybox being an actual sky instead of space like the first game. I don't like how it makes Super Mario Galaxy less...galaxy, but it doesn't look awful, I guess.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Waffleman_ posted:

One thing about this game that I'm kind of unsure about is the skybox being an actual sky instead of space like the first game. I don't like how it makes Super Mario Galaxy less...galaxy, but it doesn't look awful, I guess.

It doesn't take place in "space" so much as it takes place in the same weird sky-void NintendoLand does.

Sky-Void is considered a character by Nintendo, just like Wuhu Island.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TwoPair posted:

Shhh don't spoil the list of guests for future videos!

Guest 120 will be Sartak

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Waffleman_ posted:

Ugh does the sky-skybox stick around? I was hoping maybe as we progressed the levels would move deeper into space... That's really upsetting to me.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

asymmetrical posted:

Ugh does the sky-skybox stick around? I was hoping maybe as we progressed the levels would move deeper into space... That's really upsetting to me.

The sky changes per galaxy. Heck, sometimes the sky changes per-planet, within a galaxy.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The world maps have the absolute best backgrounds in the series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This video shows another thing I like about SMG2: the Yoshi sounds aren't as ear-grating like they are in Yoshi's Story and the games that came after it. The bongos that play while you're riding on him is a welcome throwback.

Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012
Ah yeah, Super Mario Galaxy 2, my favorite game I've never played. I love the galaxy games' policy of creating platforming games that are just pure fun. Especially since platforming games by major developers are getting increasingly rare these days, while FPS's of all sorts seem to be clogging up the market. Also, the soundtrack is just amazing. So yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to watching through this let's play. :D

By the way:

asymmetrical posted:

The skyboxes do vary between different galaxies and the skybox on the Mario faceship thing also changes as you progress through the game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The skyboxes definitely get very different as you go through the game.

Glad to see an LP for probably one of my favorite Mario games, the and only 3D one I never completely 100% finished. I'm pretty sure several people know what stopped me.

EDIT:

Vicas posted:

welcome to the club
yes they do know my pain :smith:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 27, 2012

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

A Memorable Name posted:

It's more like an awful punishment for completionists than an Easter egg.

Is this one of those things which is so much better if you see it happen than if you hear about it? Because I'm awfully curious but I don't want to spoil myself if it's that amazing(ly horrible).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I did it twice with Banjo Kazooie.
The "delete-save" button was Z.
I rest my controller on my leg when not using it.
I was at Click Clock Wood. :negative:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though I've 100%ed this already (including that star :smug:), it will be great to relive this game since it really is a great game and definitely the best 3D Mario game.

I really hope diabetus also posts an unedited version of the final star video with an attempt counter and live commentary so we can hear how many times he throws his Wiimote in frustration.

Gyre posted:

Is this one of those things which is so much better if you see it happen than if you hear about it? Because I'm awfully curious but I don't want to spoil myself if it's that amazing(ly horrible).
It's not super horrible, but I'm sure a lot of people will be let down once they see it.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Gyre posted:

To be honest, no. It's more mind-numbingly difficult than anything else, really.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Even tho I am also a fan of difficult games these two updates alone have convinced me to go buy Super Mario Galaxy 2 after work today!

It'll be a gamble cause the last Mario game I beat was Super Mario World as a kid and I'm probably the only person on earth who could never get into Mario 64 no matter how hard I tried (I've skipped them all after that).

So does anyone here not like Mario 64 but likes Galaxy 2? Is it possible? :kiddo:

gonna feel like a scrub tho being one of those people that buy the sequels first without playing the original

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The actual level layout in both Galaxies is much closer to SMB3/SMW et al than it is to 64.

Lots of smaller level chunks that are centered around a theme instead of one monolith of a level. They stopped doing that after Sunshine. It just doesn't work with how Nintendo likes to design levels.

There's only really one SM64 type galaxy in the game. But the leas said about it, the better, because there is a long time to go before we see it.

So try it out and see what you think.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

beep by grandpa posted:

So does anyone here not like Mario 64 but likes Galaxy 2? Is it possible? :kiddo:

Nope, no one dislikes Mario 64.

Lilfut
Nov 25, 2012

The T posted:

Nope, no one dislikes Mario 64.

I think it's aged pretty awful, for whatever that's worth.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I don't like Mario 64 and I LOVE Super Mario Galaxy.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I never got far in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or its predecessor because I'm terrible at games. :downs:

That being said, my younger brother played the poo poo out of this, and I can definitely see where people call it the best Mario game of all time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I never try to 100 percent these games because I get bored and frustrated, so I am glad someone else is doing it.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I could never get the very last star of this game, and you reminding me this game exists kind of makes me want to go back and try again.

No I can't!

But I could, couldn't I...?

No never again!

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
Guys, you are all really hyping up the final star before we've even gotten three.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Haven't played a Mario game since Sunshine, which IMO is the best Mario game and nothing I've seen from either of the Galaxies has caused me to reconsider that. Still, this looks pretty great so far.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Senerio posted:

I did it twice with Banjo Kazooie.
The "delete-save" button was Z.
I rest my controller on my leg when not using it.
I was at Click Clock Wood. :negative:
...oh wow.

You poor poor motherfucker. Click Clock Wood was a loving chore, especially when in the original version you had to recollect every note again after you die in a level, which thankfully they fixed in the Xbox Live port and the notes STAY collected.

That helped a LOT in Click Clock Wood.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

beep by grandpa posted:

Sup. Mario 64 was cool at the time, but I didn't have my own N64 so I never got really attached to it, and it's aged really poorly so that without nostalgia it's not really worth playing. And where Mario 64 has all the problems that come with being an early 3D platformer, SMG2 is smooth and polished and rad.

Galaxy 2 is so good, though. I think it was either the first or second Wii game I bought (I was late to the Wii). I've only played Galaxy 1 at other people's houses. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back and play through it, too, but with most of what I've heard about Galaxy 2, it doesn't really sound like it would be that worth it.

e: I'm also a much bigger fan of level select screens than hub worlds. I like it when games get to the point.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Does SMG2 have those really obnoxious surf worlds?

They were the worst thing. Not only did they, for some obscure reason, stand a chance at locking up my Wii, the controls on them made it really hard to play since it was floaty and had no walls.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FinalGamer posted:

Click Clock Wood was a loving chore, especially when in the original version you had to recollect every note again after you die in a level, which thankfully they fixed in the Xbox Live port and the notes STAY collected.

Which also introduced a hilarious, but unfortunate, glitch.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

James Totes posted:

Does SMG2 have those really obnoxious surf worlds?

They were the worst thing. Not only did they, for some obscure reason, stand a chance at locking up my Wii, the controls on them made it really hard to play since it was floaty and had no walls.
No, but they're replaced with something either better or worse.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

I didn't think it was funny when it hit me :smith:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I've played and 100%ed this game about three times now and I don't think I'll ever get tired of how well this game is designed. I may just have to fire it up again when this LP is nearing the end, but for now I wish you luck, Diabetus!

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Ometeotl posted:

Forever 899 notes... Bugs the hell out of me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I thought they patched the glitch out? It makes it a lot less funny if they never did, I will admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Ometeotl posted:

I thought they patched the glitch out? It makes it a lot less funny if they never did, I will admit.

They patched it so it doesn't happen anymore, but if your save was already affected the patch didn't fix it, the only solution is to start over from scratch.

• Locked thread