Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sometimes people would be better mascots than leaders. If the George W Bush doing his farewell tour through Africa, dancing traditional dances, etc, could be America's mascot forever, and have no power, that'd be swell. Same with Chris Christie for NJ. He's kind of perfect for it. Sucks that he has a veto pen, though.

I don't think his hedged positions are going to help him through a primary though. He might win as the eventual nominee after a long protracted battle with the true believers if he sucks enough right wing dick but then what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I propose that Bush was a reasonably statesmanlike, quick-witted and competent president compared to the 2012 field.

Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXXa1_oArM

Bush's body language is one of total command. He immediately seizes on the moment. Look at this man, he would have been a breath of fresh air during the primary debates. The only guy I can think of who has this kind of presence right now is Christie.

Bush was also capable of surviving a hostile press conference, because he apprised himself of facts outside the echo chamber. That's gone now. The GOP's idea of an intellectual is Ryan :laffo: or Jindal (Rhodes Scholar with a specialization in capturing possessed women). Bush looks like Teddy Roosevelt compared to these midgets.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

Sometimes people would be better mascots than leaders. If the George W Bush doing his farewell tour through Africa, dancing traditional dances, etc, could be America's mascot forever, and have no power, that'd be swell. Same with Chris Christie for NJ. He's kind of perfect for it. Sucks that he has a veto pen, though.
I've thought that the Bush Family could be America's House of Windsor, with Emperor George W. Bush at its head. He can cut ribbons at Walmart grand openings and assorting monarchical things like that. Remove them from the normal political process.

Edit: Even better, merge them to form the House of Bush-Kennedy.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 23, 2012

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I don't hate him personally, but I can't think of a modern president with a worse foreign policy track record than Bush. He did a lot of damage to our alliances with his jingoism in Iraq and brinksmanship with Iran. His domestic initiatives were almost all disasters and he seemed lost at sea whenever a crisis happened. He's probably better than Jindal or Santorum, but I would much prefer a Romney presidency to a Bush third term.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's kind of my point, it wasn't Bush who drove those policy choices, it was the coalition his party was forced to assemble to reach the magic 50%. Remember, we're talking about the GOP; brinkmanship and quagmires are a given, as is an economic policy that was literally sketched on a napkin in 1974.

Can you imagine Michele Bachmann taking the initiative to do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD_MbcBXEN0

Despite his belief in functionally bigoted policies, Bush genuinely deplored bigotry. He never used coded language to divide Americans. His wars slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Muslims, but at least he had the decency to reiterate the difference between Islam and the political entities he was fighting.

A lot of people say we never saw Bush during the election because his name is poison; I'd guess that the field of panderers was also repellent to him and it was with no great sense of anguish that he excused himself from campaigning.

Anyway, with Republicans, fiscal ruin and skull pyramids are a given. Can you look like a President while doing it is the question. Bush could, Romney wasn't even close and he was ten times better than the next guy in the primaries.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah if people in this thread could stop pretending Christie is a liberal ally and will flip parties entirely on the basis of not being petulant during the storm, that would be nice.

No poo poo. All he was doing was getting the stink of Romney off of him. If he went down as supportive of this disaster campaign, it'd hurt him in 2016. Just so everyone is clear. Chris Christie is a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN. He's got a huge base of the right who like him because he's got that "don't take no poo poo" attitude, and a lot of people were pissed at him for not running during the primaries and leaving them with Romney. He was the keynote speaker at the RNC for fucks sake. He will be Chris Christie (R) for as long as we all live. This should be blatantly obvious.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Volkerball posted:

No poo poo. All he was doing was getting the stink of Romney off of him. If he went down as supportive of this disaster campaign, it'd hurt him in 2016. Just so everyone is clear. Chris Christie is a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN. He's got a huge base of the right who like him because he's got that "don't take no poo poo" attitude, and a lot of people were pissed at him for not running during the primaries and leaving them with Romney. He was the keynote speaker at the RNC for fucks sake. He will be Chris Christie (R) for as long as we all live. This should be blatantly obvious.

Well, that and being non-political was the only sane and intelligent thing to do during the storm. I mean, I guess he could have handed out cans of stuff that people couldn't cook without water and electricity like Romney, but Romney doesn't have his hand on FEMA (thank heavens).

Christie will probably have to work on his delivery as well as his weight if he wants to run, because he's probably more blunt than Joe Biden right now. Before the storm hit he went out of his way to call out people who weren't leaving the area if they could as idiots. After a few days of being on storm duty he also looked like someone had hit him with a truck.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Finance wise I can't imagine what the primaries are going to look like. Does anyone have a comprehensive source for 2012 election finance? The best I've found is this times link:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/campaign-finance

But on the other hand people are throwing around numbers like "6 Billion Dollar Election" and I can't figure out if that's plus primaries or just hyperbole.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Krinkle posted:

Sometimes people would be better mascots than leaders. If the George W Bush doing his farewell tour through Africa, dancing traditional dances, etc, could be America's mascot forever, and have no power, that'd be swell. Same with Chris Christie for NJ.
Bush/Biden as America's co-kings.

Adrastus posted:

Which is to say, the same exact position held by post-evolution Barack Obama?
I don't really care to defend Obama's tepid approach to GLBT issues, but I'll just point out for the sake of clarity that those are not the exact same positions - Christie prevented the state from enacting gay marriage, ostensibly, because he thinks it should be put to a statewide popular vote. Obama, ostensibly, thinks it should be decided on a state level, but I've not seen him insist on a particular mechanism for doing that - I believe he'd be fine with legislatures passing it, state courts ordering it, etc.

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2012

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Welp, you knew someone was going to ask. Should Ron Paul run for president in 2016? Take our poll!

Because the Ron Paul R:evil:ution will never die.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cemetry Gator posted:

And don't forget why he did it: He'd rather let the voters decide than have it handed down from government.

So basically, it's the wussiest way to handle the situation and trying to please both sides. To those against gay marriage, he can say "Yo, I vetoed that law," and to those in favor of it, he can say "I didn't stand in the way, I wanted the voters to have a choice."

And then he'll yell at somebody. It's what he does.
The voters did vote for it, though, by voting for representatives that supported that law. Why even have a government if everything has to come down to direct representation?

Ugh.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
To be fair, he vetoed every single law that year and said they all had to be public ballot initiatives. Oh, wait. :ironicat:

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The voters did vote for it, though, by voting for representatives that supported that law. Why even have a government if everything has to come down to direct representation?

Ugh.

This is slightly fallacious since they also voted for a governor that opposed it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cemetry Gator posted:

And don't forget why he did it: He'd rather let the voters decide than have it handed down from government.

So basically, it's the wussiest way to handle the situation and trying to please both sides. To those against gay marriage, he can say "Yo, I vetoed that law," and to those in favor of it, he can say "I didn't stand in the way, I wanted the voters to have a choice."

This worked really well in the South.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sil posted:

This is slightly fallacious since they also voted for a governor that opposed it.

Keep in mind, Christie was running against Corzine, who had managed to piss a lot of people off. Yeah, a lot of people didn't like Christie, but like they disliked Corzine more.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
InTrade just closed to American customers after the CFTC finally filed against them, so that's something we'll be hearing a lot less about next cycle.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

jeffersonlives posted:

InTrade just closed to American customers after the CFTC finally filed against them, so that's something we'll be hearing a lot less about next cycle.

That's terrible! InTrade was really the only way an average guy could participate in the crazy bullshit bets that the investing class gets to take legally

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

jeffersonlives posted:

BOOO

edit: this is the lame parry of someone caught speeding but drat, is this really the most important thing they can find to go after?

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 26, 2012

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

pangstrom posted:

BOOO

edit: this is the lame parry of someone caught speeding but drat, is this really the most important thing they can find to go after?

I reckon that even at its most dysfunctional the federal government can still do more than one thing at a time.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
On behalf of a lot of people, I am extremely thankful this didn't happen a month ago. But as much as it seems they've sort of brought it on themselves, and as relieving as it is that at least most the election money's undoubtedly already been withdrawn, this is almost as tooth-grating as poker's Black Friday. Yet again, people I know are going to have to leave the country over this.

Don't worry, though, Betfair will probably pick up most of the slack if you're not an American.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Au revoir mon ami.

Started with $200 on Intrade way back in the day. Made almost $200k this year.

Going to take a shower, go for run, and think about moving away from this great country.

Oh, and Rubio 2016.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arkane posted:

Au revoir mon ami.

Going to take a shower, go for run, and think about moving away from this great country.

Oh, and Rubio 2016.

That is taking the closing of intrade a little to hard don't you think?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

CharlestheHammer posted:

For the love of God, don't discourage him

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

US customers may find it harder to get their money out than non-US ones, which doesn't help the situation.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Arkane posted:

How did you do that betting on Romney?

Or did you do individual House and State Senate races, kind of like betting on free throws?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Arkane posted:

Au revoir mon ami.

Oh, and Rubio 2016.
Bye!

So who's the lucky country that gets to benefit from America's loss, or are you going full Galt? :allears:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Nuts. I'm not a ninja with it like some folks, but that's still losing a nice shot in the arm every so often.

Zwabu posted:

Or did you do individual House and State Senate races, kind of like betting on free throws?

I've never seen the man's portfolio, but I'm pretty sure Arkane's betting approach is quite different from his posting style.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

eviltastic posted:

I've never seen the man's portfolio, but I'm pretty sure Arkane's betting approach is quite different from his posting style.

I know Arkane was the guy on this forum who predicted the Palin pick when no one else here had any idea who she was, but since he was all over Huntsman, poll unskewing and the rest during this campaign season, it's hard for me to see how any of that could translate into Intrade money.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zwabu posted:

2012 trip report

60k Romney nom (Huntsman woulda been like two fiddy)
35k GOP primaries (made money on every state but NH and KS)
-5k Paul Ryan VP (did not see that one coming at all)
75k Obama President
20k various other poo poo

2016 would've been amazing. Two wide open primaries.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Arkane posted:

2012 trip report

60k Romney nom (Huntsman woulda been like two fiddy)
35k GOP primaries (made money on every state but NH and KS)
-5k Paul Ryan VP (did not see that one coming at all)
75k Obama President
20k various other poo poo

2016 would've been amazing. Two wide open primaries.

Awesome job! Is this reported as gambling winnings on taxes?

Edit: and who did you have for VP? Portman? Rubio?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Chantilly Say posted:

Bobby Kennedy's grandson Conor made national headlines quite recently*, we'll just have to wait and see where that takes him.

*For dating and then breaking up with Taylor Swift.

Man, those are some Camelot-like looks there, but it sounds like the guy had a pretty messed-up upbringing. I wonder if any of his generation have political aspirations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Jesus, he looks like Adrian Grenier and Susan Sarandon had a kid and then sent him to private school his whole life.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rick Santorum is thinking about running again. Get ready for him to be an early front runner on name recognition alone.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

Rick Santorum is thinking about running again. Get ready for him to be an early front runner on name recognition alone.

I don't see any way Big Money will get behind him if there is a Jeb or Rubio or Christie in the mix. A religion and culture war obsessed Puritan whose power base is a Northeastern state he has no prayer of winning? Blaggh people? No thanks.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Joementum posted:

He'll have to hurry up and have another ghost-written book to sell on the campaign trail, then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ufarn posted:

I think Spitzer's record as AG would have made him incredibly likely to be nominated, were it not for his gently caress-ups as governor.
If he hadn't literally whored himself out while governor, he would be the unquestionable favorite right now, full stop. His record of going after Wall Street would play favorably to a large portion of the population in this economic climate.

The Landstander posted:

Anti-Cuomo :words: about the State Senate
His Senate idiocy doesn't end there. He threw his support behind a Poughkeepsie-area Republican who supported his push for gay marriage, and he lost in the general election. Meanwhile, he refused to help Cecelia Tkaczyk in the general election for the so-called 63rd district that Republicans carved out for themselves- and she's currently in an absentee ballot count in the county (out of five counties in the district) that swung her way most favorably on Election Day. It's no secret that he wants a Republican Senate and wants to gently caress over progressives and progressive policy in the name of "bipartisanship."

And that's not mentioning that while there are Republicans on Capitol Hill who are at least considering raising taxes on the wealthy, old Grease Head refuses to budge on a tax hike even though there's $30 billion of damage (his estimate) caused by Superstorm Sandy. How about signing the Norquist pledge to prove once and for all that you're making GBS threads in our cereal? Anybody who wants to run against Cuomo in the primary would do well to use this as a weapon (even though they won't).

Plus, as much as I hate Chris Christie (besides gay marriage, he's been poison for the state's economy), he has been much more visible in helping his state recover from the storm. Sure, he's bullied power companies to get their act together, but that's just one part of his visibility when, to my knowledge, that's pretty much the only thing that Cuomo has done outside of ask the federal government for $30 billion. Someone who is to the right of some Republicans, and lacking the political savvy of most of them, is not somebody I'm going to be supporting in the primary.

I'm going to be mainly posting in this thread as a platform for "gently caress Cuomo," so buckle up. I'm on his rear end like glue.

Badger of Basra posted:

I've heard Kamala Harris mentioned by some people as a possible nominee. She doesn't seem too bad to me but she would face a lot of problems with name recognition among non-Californians and people who didn't pay attention to the settlement last year.
The prospect of Kamala Harris as a nominee excites me greatly, but it's going to take a while for her to get national recognition- probably at least a decade. I'm willing to bet that she'll run for California governor after she's satisfied with her time as Attorney General.

Joementum posted:

Rubio has now walked back some of his statements from that GQ interview.

The answer is clear: exile Rubio to Kodiak Island like his Miami brother.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Joementum posted:

I just can't see Santorum ever getting the nomination. He's too out there. He plays well in the states with 3 electoral college votes, but in the big contests, he just really can't compete. And of course, he was a literal gaffe machine during the race.

I love the reality they all live in though. The solution to Obama winning a second term is to go more conservative, because apparently, if given the choice between Romney and Obama, a conservative leaning person would have chosen Obama. It's like they can't comprehend why Romney lost.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I propose that Bush was a reasonably statesmanlike, quick-witted and competent president compared to the 2012 field.

Look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXXa1_oArM

Bush's body language is one of total command. He immediately seizes on the moment. Look at this man, he would have been a breath of fresh air during the primary debates. The only guy I can think of who has this kind of presence right now is Christie.

Bush was also capable of surviving a hostile press conference, because he apprised himself of facts outside the echo chamber. That's gone now. The GOP's idea of an intellectual is Ryan :laffo: or Jindal (Rhodes Scholar with a specialization in capturing possessed women). Bush looks like Teddy Roosevelt compared to these midgets.

This is drifting into that cartoon that does the rounds around here of "Reagan did [X Horrible Thing], but he was so personable!" If the litmus test of a GOP candidate is that he is charismatic but still abominable on the issues, I mean what are we doing? Handing out points for second-best?

quote:

(Rhodes Scholar with a specialization in capturing possessed women).

Can someone explain this seemingly bizarre reference to me?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Bobby Jindal is both a Rhodes Scholar and once performed(and wrote about) a dorm-room exorcism(here ya go Enjoy!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

If the litmus test of a GOP candidate is that he is charismatic but still abominable on the issues, I mean what are we doing? Handing out points for second-best?

Well can you name a GOP candidate that was anything but abominable on the issues post-Eisenhower? (And surely you can frame Eisenhower badly as well)

Yes, we are talking about the GOP. My point was that Bush looked, sounded and acted better than any Republican with a shot since. Am I wrong?

quote:

quote:

Maybe she sensed our weariness; whether by plan or coincidence, Susan chose the perfect opportunity to attempt an escape. She suddenly leapt up and ran for the door, despite the many hands holding her down. This burst of action served to revive the tired group of students and they soon had her restrained once again, this time half kneeling and half standing. Alice, a student leader in Campus Crusade for Christ, entered the room for the first time, brandishing a crucifix. Running out of options, UCF had turned to a rival campus Christian group for spiritual tactics. The preacher had denied our request for assistance and recommended that we not confront the demon; his suggestion was a little late. I still wonder if the good preacher was too settled to be roused from bed, or if this supposed expert doubted his own ability to confront whatever harassed Susan.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/05/bobby-jindal-exorcised-his-college-girlfriend

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 27, 2012

• Locked thread