Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

George Clinton =/= Bill Clinton.

Woah :psyduck: total brainfart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Soul Glo posted:

George Clinton =/= Bill Clinton.

Right, one was President of the US, the other was President of the Dogstar Nebula.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Right, one was President of the US, the other was President of the Dogstar Nebula.

Both make sweet music.

Slightly NWS: It's George Clinton wearing a diaper http://i.imgur.com/VlDlb.jpg

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Bombadilillo posted:

How's Blops fanbase ingame chat? Ive always played on ps3 when I got into a multiplayer so I never got the stereotypical "13 year old yelling fag" that seems to be prevalent on 360. I am really enjoying a Miiverse that is clean and I dont have to worry about dicks flying on the screen at my kids.

I've seen a grand total of two people with a sound icon next to their name so I have voice chat turned off. Since the Wii U doesn't come with a headset I don't imagine there is going to be a lot of chatter.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Radnor posted:

I've seen a grand total of two people with a sound icon next to their name so I have voice chat turned off. Since the Wii U doesn't come with a headset I don't imagine there is going to be a lot of chatter.

You can plug in literally any headset into the controller and it'll work though. Even if you just have earbuds you can speak into the Pad's mic.

Which raises the question: Why didn't they just use the pad? :psyduck:

Can you plug a wireless/wired USB headset into the console itself and use that?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Radnor posted:

I didnt even think of that, does WiiU support blutooth? Thats what I always used in ps3 and it was a pain in the rear end at every step of the way.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

How's Blops fanbase ingame chat? Ive always played on ps3 when I got into a multiplayer so I never got the stereotypical "13 year old yelling fag" that seems to be prevalent on 360. I am really enjoying a Miiverse that is clean and I dont have to worry about dicks flying on the screen at my kids.
I haven't got a Wii-U yet but I played all the CODs on Wii and if the playerbase remains much the same they aren't gonna be as obnoxious as the typical COD player on xbox. I never saw anyone going for trickshots, never heard anyone playing music over voice chat, and not as many players camp for their precious K/D.
Even when I would dominate in a match all I would get is friend requests and nice messages.

I plan on getting Black Ops 2 for Wii-U when I get the console, so happy they kept the wiimote controls because that's why I played COD on Wii in the first place, and the reports are that it controls even better now that it's 60fps plus a few other little changes.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just got home with my Wii U and tried to start it up, its just stuck at a logo and wont progress and wont shut off unless I unplug it.

I need to exchange the whole thing, dont I...

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I add friends on this contraption? I can't even find the list.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do I add friends on this contraption? I can't even find the list.
Press the home button and it should be the first option on the left

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

horchata posted:

Press the home button and it should be the first option on the left

Wonderful! Is there a single place where everyone is adding each other at? I wanna get some pals on this thing.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Dammit, the gold nunchuk sold out just as I got 900 points.

Hopefully they put more up at some point, the small supply they keep listing never lasts long enough for me to nab one.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
So apparently the Nintendo Land hard locking must be related to something online because mine just froze three times in a row and the Nintendo Land community has a bunch of people freaking out about it at the same time.

Hope that new patch comes soon...

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Wonderful! Is there a single place where everyone is adding each other at? I wanna get some pals on this thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517962

Edit:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Maybe a dumb question

I'm sorry but it sort of is. This is the first thing in this thread.

quote:

Connect with Wii U goons: Nintendo Network ID thread

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren: Attention all AusGoons :siren:

Found this fascinating number through ozbargain.
http://www.vooks.net/wii-u-buyers-guide-wii-u-pre-order-deals/

Mostly standard stuff, but there is one really interesting tidbit - Kmart has Deluxes for $379 (and I confirmed it with a look in their catalogue online). You may want to grab a catalogue to get EB or JB to pricematch come Friday, if you have a preorder with them.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mostly standard stuff, but there is one really interesting tidbit - Kmart has Deluxes for $379 (and I confirmed it with a look in their catalogue online). You may want to grab a catalogue to get EB or JB to pricematch come Friday, if you have a preorder with them.

$100 for a single videogame.
Seriously, this is getting really stupid. I have no idea how the console market can survive with games costing a hundred bucks, especially a game like Skylanders, which is built around the premise of buying additional characters. Meanwhile, on Steam, Arkham City is $15.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

horriblePencilist posted:

Seriously, this is getting really stupid. I have no idea how the console market can survive with games costing a hundred bucks, especially a game like Skylanders, which is built around the premise of buying additional characters. Meanwhile, on Steam, Arkham City is $15.

Actually, that's been the standard pricing on retail games in Australia all the way back to the days of the N64 and PS1. It's slowly starting to die off in the face of things like ozgameshop, but it still happens with really big releases.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually, that's been the standard pricing on retail games in Australia all the way back to the days of the N64 and PS1. It's slowly starting to die off in the face of things like ozgameshop, but it still happens with really big releases.

Right, Australia always had terrible luck with prices. Still, the price difference between console and PC games are by default pretty glaring. Also, they drop in price much, much slower. I think they still sell Super Mario 64 DS for €40 here.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
You only really pay that price if you shop at EB. They are rip off merchants at their finest.

Even if the prices are high at JB, usually one of the other department stores sell it cheaper and then JB drops the price to match.

Majority of new releases now that aren't special editions are normally $69-79.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Puddin posted:

You only really pay that price if you shop at EB. They are rip off merchants at their finest.

Even if the prices are high at JB, usually one of the other department stores sell it cheaper and then JB drops the price to match.

Majority of new releases now that aren't special editions are normally $69-79.

That doesn't seem that much different from European or South American prices, then. Still, it's pretty crazy that EB can look at a game with a 9-hour campaign and say "Yeah, that's worth a hundred dollars."
On the topic of the Wii U, I wonder how long it's gonna take until a third party releases a Wii U-compatible GameCube controller. Provided if it's not out already.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Some good news for people still hunting down a Wii U: apparently Fry's all over the country got a shipment of Wii U's, both the standard and deluxe editions. I learned about this when I visited one of their stores tonight, saw them taking literally a hundred Wii U boxes and putting them into secure cages. There's apparently some sort of caveat: they must be purchased as part of a bundle that costs $450+, part of some contract with Nintendo that apparently guarantees Fry's will be recieving shipments throughout the holiday season. I almost considered getting a deluxe one because hell it was right there in front of me, but ended up passing. Monster Hunter isn't until next year, and I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of systems around by then.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

On the topic of the Wii U, I wonder how long it's gonna take until a third party releases a Wii U-compatible GameCube controller. Provided if it's not out already.

I don't know what you mean by this. The Wii U can't boot Gamecube games at all (the feature's been stripped out of the Wii mode firmware, and the hardware no longer suits it), and Nintendo's backward compatibility doesn't allow the console to recognize control interfaces the original device couldn't.

If you're talking about a controller with Gamecube features that can be used for games like Brawl, there's a thingy called the Classic Controller, and if you're playing a Wii U title, the Pro Controller as well.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Zombi U! (click)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^ I would have loved hearing that interview. Imagine the accents :allears:

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't know what you mean by this. The Wii U can't boot Gamecube games at all (the feature's been stripped out of the Wii mode firmware, and the hardware no longer suits it), and Nintendo's backward compatibility doesn't allow the console to recognize control interfaces the original device couldn't.

If you're talking about a controller with Gamecube features that can be used for games like Brawl, there's a thingy called the Classic Controller, and if you're playing a Wii U title, the Pro Controller as well.

I'm just talking about a Pro Controller shaped like a Gamecube controller. There's hundreds of people who'd rather play Smash Bros with a GC-controller.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Still, it's pretty crazy that EB can look at a game with a 9-hour campaign and say "Yeah, that's worth a hundred dollars."

Games are worth exactly as much as people are willing to pay for them and EB is not making a conscious decision, they're just using the MSRP (I assume). It's the same here in Germany, the MSRP for a new PS3/360 game is 69.99€ ($90, albeit with tax included) but only uneducated buyers pay that. New releases are usually discounted to something like 55€ at the big box stores and literally everything can be ordered at half price in the UK.

Still, people do pay 70€ and that's why we're stuck with that price for now, nevermind the fact that no video game is worth that much. Personally, I refuse to pay more than 30 GBP for a game and outside of Diablo III (a PC game, ironically), there hasn't been a game I wasn't able to buy within two weeks of release for that price.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.

That doesn't seem that much different from European or South American prices, then. Still, it's pretty crazy that EB can look at a game with a 9-hour campaign and say "Yeah, that's worth a hundred dollars.".

I'm pretty sure that's not how games pricing works. Not to mention that we have tax added to our price already, so when you include a Sales Tax to the US price of a Wii U, that Kmart deal is cheaper than the US. Fantastic!
Although I bet they'll only have 2 or 3 units to sell. Kmart didn't even stock the Vita; I'm surprised they're doing the Wii U.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Conclusions posted:

Although I bet they'll only have 2 or 3 units to sell. Kmart didn't even stock the Vita; I'm surprised they're doing the Wii U.

Doesn't matter how many units they have if JB or EB will pricematch :ssh:

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Yeah it does. Both EB and JB only price match if the other retailer has stock of the item. It's to stop price baiting - I think it was Kmart (or possibly Dick Smith? Can't recall) who got done in for it a few years back.
The story goes that they couldn't get enough stock of an item where their competitors could, so they priced/advertised it lower than cost to force price matching, with no rain checks. When the competitors sold out at the cheaper price, Kmart got their stock back in and sold it for a higher price. (Not above RRP, but definitely above the original discount.) Fair Trading rapped their knuckles over that.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Chronojam posted:

Everybody should play Xenoblade if they like RPGs.

So, we had a bunch of CPU chat a few pages back. Has it been confirmed that the Wii U still supports out-of-order execution for its CPU?

Yes it does. It does not really have a SIMD unit from what I understand, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Conclusions posted:

Yeah it does. Both EB and JB only price match if the other retailer has stock of the item. It's to stop price baiting - I think it was Kmart (or possibly Dick Smith? Can't recall) who got done in for it a few years back.

I've never seen them do that in Australia. They've always just looked at the catalogue and gone "yep, fine". Admittedly, they might do that for a newly-released console, but it's still worth the attempt.

SweetChill
May 11, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

JB have the deluxe for $399, and a selection of games for $40 when bought in the same transaction. So if you plan on buying at least Sonic Racing, its worth considering.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

TealShark posted:

Dammit, the gold nunchuk sold out just as I got 900 points.

Hopefully they put more up at some point

Likely not for some time, if ever... this offering was for Cyber Monday.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I ordered a 32 GB Wii U off GameStop.com yesterday (Nov 26) and even though they said it was back ordered, it shipped this morning.

Go get em

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Went to the Toys R Us in town for FlingSmash(es) and noticed that they had loads of 8GB systems and absolutely no 32GBs... so if Nintendo Land, digital discounts, the negligible storage upgrade, and color are not factors, these things should be easy pickups for people.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My call yesterday with Nintendo Customer service was uneventful. The service rep said ... "Well if your Wii U is working now... then just keep enjoying it, but if it gets worse give us a call back and we can take a look at your system."

He did, however, imply that there will be some sort of system update in the next week or two that 'should address this problem.'

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Right, Australia always had terrible luck with prices.

Your minimum wage is also over twice what ours is in the US, so I don't really feel too bad for you.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah, Australians' games are overpriced, but apparently they all make a shitload of money. A friend just got back from there and claimed nearly everybody was pulling in six figures, so I don't care how much your Marios cost :colbert:.

The patch next week, that's rumored to address the hardlocking? Has anybody whose system locks a lot tried disconnecting their console from the internet and then trying to play something?

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This bears repeating:

If you add people to your friends list through your "Friends List", you're not sending them a friend request. You're "registering" them, which means they have to register you too in the same way.

To send a friend request, go to Miiverse. Go to user options, and you'll see an option to search for users. Type in the user ID of the friend you want to add, and their profile should come up. On their profile page, there's a little button on the top right that says "Friend Request" (I think). Click that and you can send them a friend request.

This info is in the ID sharing thread but I'm not sure everyone is getting it.

I've really been enjoying reading my activity feed full of nerds, it's much more entertaining than I ever expected it to be. I figured Miiverse would be a novelty at best but it's actually extremely fun.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 27, 2012

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

The answer for consoles is they can survive pretty drat easily. Even sixty bucks for a console game is cheaper than they used to be. Back in the SNES days a top end game going for eighty bucks retail (which would be well over 100 adjusted for today) wasn't all that uncommon. But 60 bucks on up was pretty normal.

PC gamings prices have been driven down because well... everybody steals everything on the PC. This was always quasi the case though. But the ease of piracy has meant that if your selling something on the PC, it better be cheap or an F2p model or people will just steal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Still unclear about the Deluxe Digital promotion. Will the store just know I have a deluxe Wii and give me the 10% rebate credit automatically? Or is there something I need to do to activate the promotion first?

• Locked thread