Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

The Orange Mage posted:

Y'all forgetting Phalanx on the SNES. :colbert:

It's weird how the Super Famicom artwork rules though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I want to get Phalanx again for the SFC. The Gainax influence is so present!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

tvb posted:

Well, if we're going to talk N64, we may as well re-watch this classic commercial.

And yeah, I also remember seeing the Virtual Chess 64 game perpetually on the shelf at the video store, never to be rented. They also had the Earthbound big box on display, which I was, of course, too young and stupid to buy when they went out of business.

edit:
Also, box art. I love the old Star Fox cover:

I seriously miss the original art style, when all the characters were vaguely creepy, Fantastic Mr. Fox-esque dolls.

They should have gone with this...

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Still my favorite cover art:

The PAL version also has the Japanese name on it, Salamander, which I think sounds better.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ZackHoagie posted:

It's weird how the Super Famicom artwork rules though.

More like Phallus.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I'm pretty found of this one myself.

so patriotic

That is still one of my favorite Koei games.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Zeether posted:

The PAL version also has the Japanese name on it, Salamander, which I think sounds better.

Salamander rules, I have the Salamander Collection for Saturn on the way!

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz

Obeast posted:

You can get a general idea of the prices of the games using Video Game Pricing Guide.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Zeether posted:

Yeah mine too, wish I had a box for my US copy :( That is one of the games that I would love to CIB for my display.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Got some SARGSS shopping done today, and will hopefully finish tomorrow. Have to stress what an awesome thing it is -- thanks, midge, for putting it together.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Vrikkian posted:

They should have gone with this...

That is far less creepy then that second Starfox pic. That really freaked me out back when that game was released.

A lot of SNES games creeped me out when I was younger. Lavos from Chrono Trigger gave me nightmares. Hearing that noise he makes for the first time really bothered me. I couldn't even be in the same room when he popped up again later on.

There's also the Heart of Nova level and Marx from Kirby Superstar, but Hal topped that in Kirby Super Star Ultra with his new death animation. :stonk:

Don't even get me started on Earthbound, either. I don't think I slept for days after that final boss. :stare:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

tvb posted:

Got some SARGSS shopping done today, and will hopefully finish tomorrow. Have to stress what an awesome thing it is -- thanks, midge, for putting it together.

My stuff for my santee came today too! I am thinking about maybe one more thing. But I think I am pleased with what I have thus far. :3:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

My stuff for my santee came today too! I am thinking about maybe one more thing. But I think I am pleased with what I have thus far. :3:

Goons do not forget to take unboxing photos!

You've seen what I've been giving to people for free; wait till they see what they get when I'm supposed to send them something :twisted:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

^^^ Whoever you get is a lucky bastard, and you deserve an equally awesome gift.

tvb posted:

I got my shopping done too but the stuff hasn't come yet. It's not a ton and I wish I could give more (I'd be more than happy to give way above the spending limit if I had the cash), but I'm super excited to send it to them. :3:

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
I've been working on getting stuff together for my giftee, I am the worst about secret santas because I just want to send tons of gifts. I have some good things, but I keep going "is it enough? Maybe I should add more...I'm gonna add more." I'm trying not to go overboard, though :ohdear:

Also, I know that the preferable way of shipping proof is a tracking number, but the guy at my local UPS store told me a tracking number would be something like $18 on top of whatever I'd already pay for shipping. I feel like this is totally ludicrous, is this totally ludicrous?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Yes don't use UPS at all, they're terrible. Are you asking them to pack your stuff up for you, too? Not only are they way too expensive but for that as well but they do a really questionable job of packing (gonna ask that pic of the Neo Geo doesn't get posted again)

If you can't use USPS then use FedEx with insurance and signature confirmation. FedEx is good about getting you checks if they gently caress up your shipment :patriot:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I'm doing some research for my Santee because I got someone who has polar opposite tastes and expertise. I am very excited and nervous. I hope they like what I dig up! Hopefully my vintage game stores aren't all cleared out after their crazy Black Friday sales :ohdear:

Edit: also it might be worth updating the second post with the information from the SARGSS recipients who didn't participate until this new thread. I had to do a few pages worth of ctrl-f'ing to find my Santee's information and I know some people might be confused if the info isn't readily available.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 27, 2012

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
I ordered my Santee's stuff and am just waiting for it to be shipped! As far as what shipping method people are using, I'm going to use USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. I've never had problems as far as things being broken in shipment and under normal circumstances it's only in the system for a couple of days so it's not long enough for anyone to (hopefully) screw anything up.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
You guys were talking about awesome box art without mentioning Black Box NES games? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves... <:mad:>

jmcg_omg_kekeke posted:

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much.
No problem. It's also very useful if you ever decide to start collecting and need to know if a game (or set of games) is a good deal, especially if you're at a thrift store or something and you have a smartphone with the site bookmarked (I think they do have an Android app, but they do have a mobile version of the site with a similar layout to the regular version).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I e-detectived my Santee to find specifically what he/she wanted. It was time consuming, and I wish I hadn't read his/her E/N thread about his/her cannibalism, but it was worth it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm gonna have to go with this as far as best box art goes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I e-detectived my Santee to find specifically what he/she wanted. It was time consuming, and I wish I hadn't read his/her E/N thread about his/her cannibalism, but it was worth it.

Look 2009 was some dark times okay?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Awesomonster posted:

I've been working on getting stuff together for my giftee, I am the worst about secret santas because I just want to send tons of gifts. I have some good things, but I keep going "is it enough? Maybe I should add more...I'm gonna add more." I'm trying not to go overboard, though :ohdear:

I do the same thing. I think I probably got the right amount of stuff, but I keep feeling like I should add on maybe one more thing. And I know that feeling's not going to go away no matter how much I put in the box.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Awesomonster posted:

Oh man, this is my problem, too. Especially because I couldn't find the obscure things on my Santee's list, so I want to compensate by sending more and more! I don't know how to stop!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I got my giftee two things. I'd add more but I think that he/she will be really happy with both items and the quality they're in.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Oh god I need to do my SS stuff, but I've been buried in thanksgiving/car death/work stress/everything poo poo lately argh :smithicide:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm terrible at shopping and my secret santee telepathically understood this so they preemptively created a specific wishlist. I'm happy to oblige.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

I got my giftee two things. I'd add more but I think that he/she will be really happy with both items and the quality they're in.

That was really sweet of you to get me Earthbound and EVO CIB, man. Too generous.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
If by any chance my Secret Santaer (?) is having trouble with my very vague wanting of "cool/weird thing" I'm getting off my rear end and making a list of crap I have. Stay strong Santa.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
I got a European guy, hope they like NTSC poo poo. Seriously, "US/Canada only" wasn't just for the shipping costs you guys.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Hell of excited for my santee's stuff to arrive. I really hope they'll enjoy what I picked out and I'm gonna toss some cool extras into the box as well. :3: I know I'll never feel like I'm sending enough though! I just hope my secret santa doesn't freak out too much, hopefully my collection list will make things simple enough.

In other news, I got to check out a local independent game store that opened up near me.

$45 for a loose (filthy) Snowboard Kids 2. :catstare:

They did had some TG16 games I would've liked to pick up, but after he quoted me pretty much the going rate online for Legendary Axe 2, I didn't even bother asking about Sinistron/Silent Debuggers. Ah well.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Uncle Jenkins posted:

I got a European guy, hope they like NTSC poo poo. Seriously, "US/Canada only" wasn't just for the shipping costs you guys.

Get them Game Boy games!

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

Get them Game Boy games!

Hmm, small and lightweight for cheaper shipping, and region-free... well played sir.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I have massive sads that I located this thread after the secret santa thing started. This sounds like a fantastic idea. NEXT YEAR.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Gameboy games is best gift if you ship across the ocean, or get them weird (small) hardware or controllers or stuff. I'd be psyched as hell if I finally got an e-reader, those were never even released in the EU.

*edit: My santee is also getting random merch and swag that I have acquired over the years just because I imagine people love finding that stuff. :shobon:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 27, 2012

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Katana Gomai posted:

*edit: My santee is also getting random merch and swag that I have acquired over the years just because I imagine people love finding that stuff. :shobon:

This has been part of my strategy the couple of times I've done a Secret Santa, specifically picking up extras of things at conventions just to give away to people, throwing in one or two purchased items, and making something with my limited craft skills.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I have massive sads that I located this thread after the secret santa thing started. This sounds like a fantastic idea. NEXT YEAR.

I'll be sad when I see all the pictures, but I couldn't really participate this time around as I don't really have the money to spend right now. All that money is going towards an xrgb mini right now. :unsmigghh:

Well that, and I recently picked bought a retrode and am now feeding an obsession of gamecube games. I swear, I have more fun buying stuff than I do playing the games. :retrogames:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thinking about picking up a ps1 in the near future. Is there anything I need to look for model wise? Kinda like with a SNES you have to look for the one chip model? Or is it just get any old one?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Thinking about picking up a ps1 in the near future. Is there anything I need to look for model wise? Kinda like with a SNES you have to look for the one chip model? Or is it just get any old one?

Later models fixed some hardware problems with the disc reading. SCPH-1000s had an s-video port, but I think they were japan only. The parallel port was removed in the 9000 models.

I would look for a 5000-9000 one unless you need the s-video or rca ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I thought the cable that whent into the back was a generic one like the SNES, and the connectors on the end were what mattered. It has been a very long time since I have looked at a ps1 so I could just be mis remembering.

I'd like an s-video one, if those are japan only, does that mean no english games? Sorry for the silly questions, I don't tend to pay attention much to things in moonland.

• Locked thread