Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

edit- "hekk" where did you recruit at, regionally?

I recruited out of Cleveland Ohio a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Sounds nice!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The B-billet got me promoted fairly quickly but the experience itself was pretty terrible. I never wrote a doughnut as a recruiter and as a SNCOIC I never missed mission but it wasn't because I was great at the job. I was just to stubborn to fail and ran me and my recruiters into the ground in an effort to reach our recruiting goals.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Yeah, I'm just an E5 in this poo poo, but I've gotten a bit of grey hair from the poo poo. We don't have indivudal missions, just a mission as a station, and we got our assees kicked last month We were on for 4/2 (active/reserve) and ended at a 1/0 for the month. USMC made 5 of their 14 for the month. It's bad up here :shrug:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Yeah, I'm just an E5 in this poo poo, but I've gotten a bit of grey hair from the poo poo. We don't have indivudal missions, just a mission as a station, and we got our assees kicked last month We were on for 4/2 (active/reserve) and ended at a 1/0 for the month. USMC made 5 of their 14 for the month. It's bad up here :shrug:

Yeah the Army changed to their factory line recruiting process (or whatever it's called) right as I was leaving. With the right crew it seems like it can work really well. I like the idea of sharing the responsibility of making mission with everyone in the sub station. However, if your area canvassing recruiters start slacking and the guy doing interviews doesn't have anyone in the chairs, I imagine things can get stressfull.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

Yeah the Army changed to their factory line recruiting process (or whatever it's called) right as I was leaving. With the right crew it seems like it can work really well. I like the idea of sharing the responsibility of making mission with everyone in the sub station. However, if your area canvassing recruiters start slacking and the guy doing interviews doesn't have anyone in the chairs, I imagine things can get stressfull.

We're like 90% old school and there is a great schism due to it. The only way we operate on the new system is that we have a Future Soldier manager. Future Soldier manager is the guy that keeps teh DEPs engaged and trains them promotes them whatever, so that we dont take DEP losses. Of course I'm that guy, so I'm expected to manage 30 DEPs plus do all the other recruiting functions. It's pretty gay.

edit: On paper the new system is awesome, but requires 7 people at a bare minimum. We have 5 covering like 20+ schools, and about 1/2 are target schools.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

We're like 90% old school and there is a great schism due to it. The only way we operate on the new system is that we have a Future Soldier manager. Future Soldier manager is the guy that keeps teh DEPs engaged and trains them promotes them whatever, so that we dont take DEP losses. Of course I'm that guy, so I'm expected to manage 30 DEPs plus do all the other recruiting functions. It's pretty gay.

edit: On paper the new system is awesome, but requires 7 people at a bare minimum. We have 5 covering like 20+ schools, and about 1/2 are target schools.

I feel for you. I wouldn't make it dealing with high school seniors all that time. As a recruiter I mainly put in grads who shipped in less than 30 days. That's why I don't remember any of them.

It's funny though, once you are finished recruiting, all the kids you put in remember you. You will get stopped all the time and have no idea who the person is.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

I feel for you. I wouldn't make it dealing with high school seniors all that time. As a recruiter I mainly put in grads who shipped in less than 30 days. That's why I don't remember any of them.

It's funny though, once you are finished recruiting, all the kids you put in remember you. You will get stopped all the time and have no idea who the person is.

I wish we could ship kids in 30 days, it would make life easier. Average is like 4-6 months for a grad. Grads are easy, give me an SF1199 and show up on ship day.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Antignition posted:

I'll dig a little deeper and see if I can find out if these intel/cyberspace support jobs have different minimum length-of-service requirements, but my recruiter was definitely saying that they push all their applicants into 6 year terms regardless of MOS, and that they (the recruiters) are getting pressured to do this from higher up on the chain.
I'm currently in tech school as a 1N4 (Intel Analyst) and I can attest that for a lot of intel fields you don't have to sign for 6 years. A few of my classmates are only in for 4. In fact the airborne ISR guys can sign for 4. Out of my training squadron I think only 1N3s and 1A8X1s (Linguists and Airborne Linguists) have to sign up for 6, but I can't confirm that.

However, my recruiter did push 6 years on me for some reason, although he did leave me the option to go 4 years if I wanted to. I finalized everything at MEPS in December of last year and shipped in April if you want a timeframe for my process.

gay jesus
Nov 13, 2010
I was working with a Navy recruiter who got me interested in the nuke program. Scored well on the ASVAB, but I had to relocate before I was able to go to MEPS.

My new recruiter wants to get me to MEPS as soon as possible and get a contract with a "back up" job while I wait for some minor nuke-related waivers to get approved. If they do get approved, he says he'll be able to reclassify me, and if they don't, I'll have started pursuing my back up job anyway.

Sounds good to me, but I was wondering what the implications of that would be. I aske d if it would limit my ability to ensure certain things would be in my contract. I was thinking enlistment bonus primarily, but I'm sure other things might come up. He said that he'd be able to get the bonus on my contract when I reclassify. Have you guys heard of this being done before? Any horror stories?
One last question, like I said I moved recently and haven't started working yet. I was planning on selling plasma after my physical. Is there anything that prohibits this? I tried google but nothing relevant came up.

Thanks guys!

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I'm neither in the Navy nor a recruiter, but it sounds like he's blowing smoke up your rear end at the best and outright bullshitting you at the worst. I don't know, maybe the Navy uses the term reclassing in a different context than the Army does, but it should be common sense that you don't sign a contract for one thing with the expectation of doing something else. Wait for some of the recruiters or Navy folk on here to give you feedback, but it sounds to me like he just wants you for his numbers this month.

gay jesus
Nov 13, 2010
For what it's worth, he told me he already has his number for this months and most of next month. I see what you mean though.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

gay jesus posted:

For what it's worth, he told me he already has his number for this months and most of next month. I see what you mean though.

Oh, well if he says so...

Ask a different recruiter in an entirely different region if the line you're getting is kosher. It may be that easy for someone in the Navy DEP to change their rate, I haven't the foggiest. But I would recommend you confirm before signing.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I've never heard a positive thing about being a nuke. I'd advise against going nuke.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

gay jesus posted:

If he doesn't have the nuke program available or you need to have some waivers approved before you are qualified for it and the Navy wants to contract you now, it's entirely possible for you to contract under once job and ship under another.

I had to do that a few times for kids I put in. However, this is not benefiting you in any way. Worst case scenario, the job doesn't become available or your waivers don't go through. The recruiter will try to get you to ship under whatever you've contracted with or something else available.

If you really trust the recruiter it could be legit. If they are blowing smoke up your rear end you can just refuse to ship. They will try to scare you but in the history of the military there hasn't been a single occasion where the government has come after a DEP discharge. The only negative is that if you try to join another branch of service, you will require a waiver to dep and cannot stay in the dep if you enlist. Meaning that as soon as you swear in, you'd have to ship if you tried another branch of service.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
DEVIL, how often does Army update that job list? Once a month?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

DEVIL, how often does Army update that job list? Once a month?

Like daily. It's real time so every recruiter can see the same list. Sometimes there is only like 1 opening for certain jobs, you gotta jump on it quick. If you're legit qualified for the job, and you will accept nothing else, you could be out of luck, who knows.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
I see. I had asked a few pages back about if MEPS transferred between branches. I am going through Navy in about 2 weeks and am aiming for CTN (crypto networks basically 35Q) and my recruiter said he's fine with me just wanting to do CTN and is fine if I walk in the event I don't get it. I'm interested to see if he sticks to that if I don't get it. If it's not there when I go, I figured I'd try 35Q through the Army as you can just wait for a slot and I've got a few months before I even want to leave plus I'd have already gone to MEPS. Thanks

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bright Eyes posted:

I see. I had asked a few pages back about if MEPS transferred between branches. I am going through Navy in about 2 weeks and am aiming for CTN (crypto networks basically 35Q) and my recruiter said he's fine with me just wanting to do CTN and is fine if I walk in the event I don't get it. I'm interested to see if he sticks to that if I don't get it. If it's not there when I go, I figured I'd try 35Q through the Army as you can just wait for a slot and I've got a few months before I even want to leave plus I'd have already gone to MEPS. Thanks

If you're into geek-stuff and you like fixing things take a look at 35T. I'm horribly biased of course because it was my MOS and I can actually enjoy nerding out about the seven layer OSI model of networking and stuff but something to keep in mind. No idea how many are recruiting at the moment though, even when the Army was at the biggest point during both wars there was like 1300 of us or something in the entire branch. drat good MOS for a job once you get out though.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Thanks! I'll keep it in mind when I go in. Apparently the Navy only has about 1,100 CTNs soooooo. I'm hopeful. :smith:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Bright Eyes posted:

Thanks! I'll keep it in mind when I go in. Apparently the Navy only has about 1,100 CTNs soooooo. I'm hopeful. :smith:

It's a very awesome career field and if you do get in you'll really get to do some neat cutting edge (for the military) stuff. Best of luck to you.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If it makes you feel better, while every other rate is in drawdown mode, every branch wants a piece of the cyber pie right now. So that plus a high A-school attrition rate means CTN is usually in demand.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
That's really the only thing giving me hope right now. From what I've read and from the people I've talked to on GiP cyber is only getting bigger. So that's my shining light. lol

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
Depending on where you go and what you do cyber can be pretty loving awesome. The army is already loving it up though. Do never go army.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Can I ask why? How'd they gently caress up already? If the navy didn't have openings, I was going to try Army 35Q.

Bright Eyes fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 25, 2012

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
I've heard grim tales of serious mismanagement both of the 35Q career field and the various cyber units being stood up; inability to figure out what cyber is and does is up there, career path still hasn't been laid out, skill levels beyond 10 and 20 haven't been defined, etc. I'd also expect a ton of bullshit and frustration since it's so new. I hear 35Q reservations are booked solid, possibly up to a year or more because of the training backlog. That might be only for MOS-T though so I'm not sure about that much, haven't looked into it.

Knowing what I know about the army and cyber though, you'll probably have some holy-poo poo-this-is-insane-and-totally-awesome moments, but they will be short, far, and few between, completely eclipsed by all sorts of other army bullshit your leaders will undoubtedly feel is more important than actually doing your job.

Another worrisome aspect is the fact that you will not have any or many career cyber guys as your (senior) NCO leadership. It will probably mostly be a mix of guys from irrelevant intel disciplines looking to make rank in a new mos and mos-t'ers that probably have no loving business being cyber and will fall back on their irrelevant army experience to gently caress with you and generally be awful, with maybe a handful of chill, smart, mission-focused guys in the mix.

The good news is with the combination of the right person and the training, there are a lot of different opportunities to get away from regular army, so there's always that.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure transfers are not being accepted anymore, but idk about initial enlistments.

Your last sentence sounds like what you said about 35P. If you are the right kind of person opportunities will become available to you.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
It's also possible that you will work under a civilian, and actually do your real job everyday with only occasional military obligations.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Would that be the case if I got stationed at Meade? From what I've read lots of CTN are at the NSA.

FreeFunnelCake
Jul 3, 2011
If I continue on my current path and graduate in 2015 with a BS in accounting and a GPA around 3.45-3.6, what do you think my prospects are for getting into an OCS program in the Army or Navy? I don't have any medical or discipline issues and I think I would score pretty well on any physical tests. Thanks

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Does your school not have ROTC? If you're graduating in 2015 that should be 3 more years, so you should still be able to start the program.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

FreeFunnelCake posted:

If I continue on my current path and graduate in 2015 with a BS in accounting and a GPA around 3.45-3.6, what do you think my prospects are for getting into an OCS program in the Army or Navy? I don't have any medical or discipline issues and I think I would score pretty well on any physical tests. Thanks

Who knows what the military's needs will be like in 2015. If we continue to downsize it might be way tougher. If we invade someone maybe way easier.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Bright Eyes posted:

Would that be the case if I got stationed at Meade? From what I've read lots of CTN are at the NSA.

The majority are there yes. The biggest factor being that there are only about 5 locations CTNs go.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

FreeFunnelCake posted:

Bright Eyes posted:

Does your school not have ROTC? If you're graduating in 2015 that should be 3 more years, so you should still be able to start the program.

Just do this.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Who knows what the military's needs will be like in 2015. If we continue to downsize it might be way tougher. If we invade someone maybe way easier.
This is true as well, but I wouldn't count on China going all Red Dawn or some poo poo.

Let's suppose you are a candidate today -
Your grades, physical scores, extracirriculars, and rec letters all form a complete packet, but let's be real: PFT PFT PFT. Even in peace the pft is almonst everything. A 300 (perfect score) would give you, in particular, almost as good a chance as the football captain Rocket Science grad from Harvard because The Army. It's in the OP, but I don't think it emphasizes your PFT score enough. In the last couple Army OCS classes, most of the candidates had scores above 300 (yes, that is better than perfect.) If your PFT is <290 don't even waste a recruiter's time. Join clubs, get a job, volunteer, whatthefuckever. Do something besides get decent grades, because that's not enough (though it looks like you'd have that down, good work).

I'm not sure I said this, but you should probably work on your PFT.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 29, 2012

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

CRF posted:

I recently left the Marines as a 1stLt and am about to leave for the Peace Corps in a few months. I'd like to rejoin the military after my Peace Corps time, either Special Forces or SEALs (officer). Would there be any restrictions/difficulties serving in the Peace Corps would incur? I know there is a restriction from joining the CIA for 10 years and there would be some difficulties obtaining a TS clearance. The Army and Navy recruiting websites weren't much help so any insight will be appreciated. I'm also out of the country doing some volunteer work so contacting a recruiter would be difficult. Thanks.

In the same boat essentially, although the Corps was gracious enough to make me a Capt one month prior to giving me the boot. I have a POG (Log-O) background but would like to get into something more security/law enforcement oriented. I'd even be interested in Special Ops but I kind of figured you would need a grunt background for that.

At this point it is really a toss up on what direction I could take. After speaking with a few local Army recruiters I was kind of reminded why I didn't have any interest in them to begin with since they came off as utterly clueless and disinterested. At the moment I am applying to State Law Enforcement, the rationale being it allows me to stay close to friends and family, but could be used as a springboard to Federal organizations should I grow sick of living in rural Illinois.

Any advice from individuals who were RIF'd from their respective organizations, but wished to maintain something resembling a military career?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Uroboros posted:

In the same boat essentially, although the Corps was gracious enough to make me a Capt one month prior to giving me the boot. I have a POG (Log-O) background but would like to get into something more security/law enforcement oriented. I'd even be interested in Special Ops but I kind of figured you would need a grunt background for that.

At this point it is really a toss up on what direction I could take. After speaking with a few local Army recruiters I was kind of reminded why I didn't have any interest in them to begin with since they came off as utterly clueless and disinterested. At the moment I am applying to State Law Enforcement, the rationale being it allows me to stay close to friends and family, but could be used as a springboard to Federal organizations should I grow sick of living in rural Illinois.

Any advice from individuals who were RIF'd from their respective organizations, but wished to maintain something resembling a military career?

Go State Department like I'm trying to.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Uroboros posted:

I have a POG (Log-O) background

Go get a real job and make real money with your useful skills and resume.

Join the reserves or something once you get a real job making real money.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Veins McGee posted:

Go get a real job and make real money with your useful skills and resume.

Join the reserves or something once you get a real job making real money.

Already playing weekend Marine. Logistics out of the military setting bores the hell out of me. My father urged me to apply to Union Pacific but it doesn't hold my interest. Money isn't really my drive, but satisfaction and sense of purpose. What can I say? I like guns, planes n poo poo flying around, uniforms, and regimentation?

Vasudus, why the State Department as opposed to one of the other numerous federal agencies available?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Uroboros posted:

Vasudus, why the State Department as opposed to one of the other numerous federal agencies available?

Lots of travel, foreign assignments in places that DoD never go and a huge variety in your daily work schedule. Still has rather rigid organization, good benefits, etc.

Downside is that it's a touch difficult to get into currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Vasudus posted:

Lots of travel, foreign assignments in places that DoD never go and a huge variety in your daily work schedule. Still has rather rigid organization, good benefits, etc.

Downside is that it's a touch difficult to get into currently.

I'll give it a look as well. I'd imagine with the budget cuts, wars dying down, and personnel reductions there is going to be a flood of vets looking to get into these various departments.

• Locked thread