Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Did anyone else lose their favorites with this update. I'll take losing them to get refresh back but don't like having to select them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur
^^ yeah I lost my favorites too.

Looks pretty good guys! I held off on asking about this thinking it might be different in the new version, but it would be really nice if there was some kind of animation when you go to the next page in a thread. I can never tell if it actually registered my tap and end up hitting it again, going forward 2 pages.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

awesomekittens posted:

Looks pretty good guys! I held off on asking about this thinking it might be different in the new version, but it would be really nice if there was some kind of animation when you go to the next page in a thread. I can never tell if it actually registered my tap and end up hitting it again, going forward 2 pages.

I'd like to second this. It's really the singular gripe I have about the app. Fantastic work all around!

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Refresh is...okay but it really should be a button on the bar or just pull to refresh. It also clashes with the dark theme.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

god this blows posted:

Did anyone else lose their favorites with this update. I'll take losing them to get refresh back but don't like having to select them again.

Oops, sorry about that. I need to do a better job of testing that between versions.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Oops, sorry about that. I need to do a better job of testing that between versions.
I don't keep a bunch of favorites saved but notice little quirky things like that. I'm sure some people will find it more annoying but with how well most things work in the app I'll take it. One little thing I don't like about the refresh is that if there aren't any updates then it takes you to the top of the thread. It would be nice if it remembered the last post and just took you to there.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
What I miss the most is the thread title in the top bar. I'm an idiot and sometimes forget what thread I'm in.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Bummey posted:

What I miss the most is the thread title in the top bar. I'm an idiot and sometimes forget what thread I'm in.

Literally just came here to post this.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bummey posted:

?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
It's a bug. Some people are missing the title.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Huh. Well, I haven't had thread titles for at least the past two, maybe three versions of Awful.

While I'm here, I'd also like to see the thread listings show the last person who posted rather than the person who created the thread. Why was that changed?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Bummey posted:

I didn't realize this was still happening. Does it happen on every thread, or just some of them?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I didn't realize this was still happening. Does it happen on every thread, or just some of them?

I just went through all my unread threads and it happened on every one of them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think I had a title disappear once. I'm trying to remember how it happened. It might have been I replied to a thread I opened from another thread. The title came back though. I've never had permanently lost thread titles.

Bummey posted:

While I'm here, I'd also like to see the thread listings show the last person who posted rather than the person who created the thread. Why was that changed?

Just to mess with you.

No I think it was changed because we asked some people what they found more useful, but if there's one thing to learn with this thread it's that Awful users are very very divided on preferences.

Anyway pokeyman is changing it to list the OP if it's an unread thread, list last poster if it's a thread you've read before.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Every thread, all the time.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

pokeyman posted:

I don't get a thread title on any threads. I've actually never seen a thread title in this new app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bummey posted:

Every thread, all the time.

Does it persist if you delete the app and redownload+install?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

The Dave posted:

I know you weren't addressing me, but: yes, it does for me (persist that is). I just tried.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The Dave posted:

I just tried, too, and it still persists.

E: iPhone 4, jailbroken iOS 5.0.1

Bummey fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 26, 2012

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

pokeyman posted:

This is also happening to me on every thread. Same results on a iPad 3 running the latest firmware and a jail broken iPhone 4S running 5.1.1

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I'm on a non jailbroken iPhone 4, 5.1.1. Haven't seen any titles since the new app.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I don't have thread titles in portrait orientation but DO have them in landscape orientation.

Just FYI.

Clarification Edit: I can open a thread in portrait orientation and the title won't appear. If I keep the same thread open and rotate to landscape orientation, the title appears.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this has already been requested/debated/dismissed, but I would prefer the bookmarks to show who the last poster was (killed by) rather than the op of the thread. If I have a thread bookmarked, I probably already know/no longer care who posted it.

But otherwise, great improvements to the app so far. Thanks for taking this on!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

I don't have thread titles in portrait orientation but DO have them in landscape orientation.

Just FYI.

Clarification Edit: I can open a thread in portrait orientation and the title won't appear. If I keep the same thread open and rotate to landscape orientation, the title appears.

Oh, same here. I never noticed that because I've never used it in landscape, and I don't plan to.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sorry if this has already been requested/debated/dismissed, but I would prefer the bookmarks to show who the last poster was (killed by) rather than the op of the thread. If I have a thread bookmarked, I probably already know/no longer care who posted it.

Coming soon!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pseudonordic posted:

Just FYI.

Alright now we're getting somewhere! I still haven't replicated it but I know where the problem must be.

Thanks to everyone who kept bringing this up, I would've completely forgotten about it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

Coming soon!

Awesome! I really like the interface changes you've made so far, it looks like a much more polished app than before.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Alright now we're getting somewhere! I still haven't replicated it but I know where the problem must be.

Thanks to everyone who kept bringing this up, I would've completely forgotten about it.

If you want more info:

iPhone 4s
iOS 5.1.1 (9B206)
Jailbroken

lucky13pjn
Sep 13, 2007
Really lazy bastard
I noticed that the little Ask and Tell banners superimposed over the thread icons in A/T have disappeared. I am using 1.8.1 on a iPad 3rd gen that is jailbroken.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Another little visual bug.

If you're loading a thread and your network connection gets cut off...

Like so...

The thread you were trying to load remains highlighted.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
This app is seriously amazing. Use it more than the web forums these days. So here's a couple things I've noticed:

1) When a thread is being loaded from bookmarks, there is a brief (1-2 sec) period when you can scroll with the post before the first unread at the top before it is snapped back to the first unread. This is pretty annoying, and I think it might be a bug because I thought you turned the snapping stuff off.

2) it would be super nice if there were a "Now Viewing" arrow on the top right of the bookmarks/forum browser/favorites menus, a la the music app. I have, on many, many occasions, prematurely hit the "back to bookmarks" arrow and then had to find the thread I was in and go back a page, because now all the posts on the page is was on are marked as read. This would be a small help and may be complicated to implement (and may be a bad idea for other reasons) but it would help me to not lose my place so much.

The app is amazing, you are amazing, please keep up the amazing work. There are tons of us for whom this has become indispensable. Thanks!

*Poasted From An Awful Appp(tm)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The delay is "gone" in 1.9, you get to watch a loading screen again. And I'll put the "now playing" idea on the list.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

There are tons of us for whom this has become indispensable.

3,651 downloads through November 25, if anybody's interested. No idea what percentage of that find it indispensable.

And thanks for the kind words.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

pokeyman posted:

The delay is "gone" in 1.9, you get to watch a loading screen again. And I'll put the "now playing" idea on the list.

3,651 downloads through November 25, if anybody's interested. No idea what percentage of that find it indispensable.

And thanks for the kind words.

:eng101: Well, it's at least 2 out of the 3,651, so that works out to .05%. But you've made both of us very happy!

Keep up the great work. This is one hell of a goon project simply because it hasn't become "a goon project". (Though I'm sure someone in this thread will help you set up the wiki.)

Robin357Lazarus
Jul 5, 2008

Will color-coded bookmarks be re-enabled in the future? I apologize if this has already been answered.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Thanks for reviving this app. All the new changes have been pretty amazing.

Are there any plans to allow adjusting font sizes? Sometimes when I'm reading I find myself squinting and it'd be nice to make things larger.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

pokeyman posted:

I've literally never browsed the forums from my phone on anything but this App. Got my first iPhone in February, searched Something Awful on the app store and haven't looked back. I'd be lost without it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty indispensable.. this forum doesn't have any kind of mobile interface and using the site as presented is pretty painful. Only time I've visited the site in Safari is when the old Awful app stopped working because the site was down and I didn't get a sensible error message.

ghost biscuit
Sep 28, 2002

Does the iPad app not have the refresh button back, or is it just me?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A bug I just experienced in the latest build. iPad 2, not jail broken, latest iOS 6.

When you click a link to another SA forum thread it goes to that first page fine, but trying to get to the next page only results in a gray screen. Same thing with clicking the back and forward button. In fact I got a "page 2 of 1" button at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The new text at thread end is a little wordy but I don't have any good suggestions to fix it.

• Locked thread