Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Why did they call Tom Ricks "the general." Why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Install Gentoo posted:

Perhaps it implies something about the general demographic of people who still use brick and mortar bookstores, and specifically the chain variety, to buy paper books instead of getting paper books from online stores or ebooks. I mean, 20% of Barnes & Noble stores have closed since their peak in 2007 just when ereaders started to take off, and of course Borders and some other chains have shut down entirely.

The stores will also not stock the same selection of books everywhere - in a conservative area conservative books probably sell better so I'd not be surprised if the regional management consciously chose to buy more conservative books and fewer liberal books to sell. You have to keep margins up after all, so it only makes sense to buy say 10 copies of a liberal's new book and 40 copies of a conservative's for the politics shelf in that kind of area.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yea, seeing book titles like "Liberals should be executed" is pretty disheartening. It's even worse when you know that people are essentially being told this in all of the news they watch as well.

I suppose you could take solace that the left wing doesn't need a bunch of writers for them because all of the books are in the sciences section :smug:

I'm not sure that demographics about "who uses brick and mortar bookstores" has too much to do with it, but you guys might be right about the rest of it. I imagine that in the south, for instance, you'll see a lot more NASCAR books and poo poo. I still enjoy the physicality of an actual book more than an e-book and I enjoy browsing too, but I realize I'm part of a dying breed. I just couldn't believe that that many people were still interested in anything ollie North might still have to say. It looked like the Spinal Tap 'Smell the Glove' record release.

Here it is:

http://www.newsmax.com/US/oliver-north-heroes-proved/2012/11/20/id/464841

How is this guy a hero again?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Emron posted:

Why did they call Tom Ricks "the general." Why.

Because that's the name of his work I guess, since when does a TV slap fight ever make sense.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A lot of conservatives look at North pretty much like this:
http://www.heavy.com/comedy/comedy-videos/funny-videos/2010/11/american-dad-oliver-north-song/

The song is supposed to be satire, but quite a few conservatives would probably watch it and see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Re: Fox/Ricks kerfuffle -

It's amazing that Fox insists on this petulant garbage about the secret apology instead of just realizing they were owned, letting it go and not doing anything to call yet more attention to how badly their guest owned them. They are really thin skinned despite the number one in the ratings thing. I can't even imagine what will happen to them if MSNBC or anyone else ever begins overtaking them in a big way.

I seem to recall other instances of Fox pushing the snark like this in the recent past being posted in these threads too.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Now Fox News is claiming this constitutes an "apology" for his "behavior" by Ricks:

Yes, clearly Ricks was just exhausted from his book tour and took it out on poor widdle Fox News. :rolleyes:

In the demographic that thinks Colbert is serious, I'm not surprised to see that they absolutely have no concept of sarcasm.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Zwabu posted:

Re: Fox/Ricks kerfuffle -

It's amazing that Fox insists on this petulant garbage about the secret apology instead of just realizing they were owned, letting it go and not doing anything to call yet more attention to how badly their guest owned them. They are really thin skinned despite the number one in the ratings thing. I can't even imagine what will happen to them if MSNBC or anyone else ever begins overtaking them in a big way.

I seem to recall other instances of Fox pushing the snark like this in the recent past being posted in these threads too.

I think we all can see this for what it is: they're still smarting over the election as are all the right-wing media pundits and talking heads, who routinely proclaimed a resounding victory for Republicans in general and Romney in particular. Then Election Night arrives, and we're all entertained beyond our wildest dreams as their credibility proceeds to get flushed right down the shitter. :buddy:

When I refer to Fox News' credibility, I don't mean it in the terms that most of us here would take it to mean (i.e., credible news journalism that's mainly free of bias). I mean credibility with their core audience of conservatives, who prior to Election Night likely felt that they were watching the only network that would report the real news. Then they saw state after state go for Obama, and though many of them did and do buy into the "OBUMMER STOLE THE ELECTION" conspiracy theories, there is evidence that a lot more were just completely shocked by the realization that Fox News was in fact not reporting the news, but was instead parroting the Republican party line in order to maintain viewership among the faithful.

There have been signs (such as Maddow and O'Donnell beating Hannity and GVS in the ratings post-election) that the Fox News hold on the conservative mind is starting to slacken. This doesn't necessarily mean that their viewers have suddenly seen the light and become liberals or anything like that; indeed, more than a few people have disdained Fox News as no longer being conservative enough, because they just bent right over and took it on Election Night instead of showing how the election was obviously stolen. And I think it's also very likely that a good many people realized just how blatantly Fox News has been lying to them, and just quit watching altogether.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

In the demographic that thinks Colbert is serious, I'm not surprised to see that they absolutely have no concept of sarcasm.

It's the same mindset that led to Sarah Palin getting pranked by some guys claiming to be the Canadian PM, and not even remotely figuring out it was a prank, even after they said they loved Sarah's documentary "Who's Nailin' Paylin?" :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 27, 2012

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Unzip and Attack posted:

The crazy part is, why would Ricks apologize to Fox News privately then lie about it publicly? It's so obvious that Fox just completely made up the story about the apology. Even for them this is insanely transparent. Say what you will about Fox and their storied history of dishonesty, they used to be at least somewhat good at it. They used to put effort into it. Now it seems like they just don't give a poo poo.
Well, as a stunt to goose the story it would work. If it were true it would remind me of that story about Don Rickles and Frank Sinatra, where Rickles asked Sinatra to drop by his table and say "hi" so Rickles's date would be impressed, and when Sinatra does it Rickles snaps at him and says "can't you see I'm eating? leave me alone!".

But yeah I'm sure it was something where Ricks just tried to exit gracefully (not like he's a great guy, just like 99% of people would after something like that) and the Fox producer seized on it as a captial-A Apology.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Michael Medved is talking mess about Bob Dylan's christmas album. :argh:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not sure that demographics about "who uses brick and mortar bookstores" has too much to do with it, but you guys might be right about the rest of it. I imagine that in the south, for instance, you'll see a lot more NASCAR books and poo poo. I still enjoy the physicality of an actual book more than an e-book and I enjoy browsing too, but I realize I'm part of a dying breed. I just couldn't believe that that many people were still interested in anything ollie North might still have to say. It looked like the Spinal Tap 'Smell the Glove' record release.

Well specifically chain ones at that. Certainly independent book shops have long had a reputation for being more of a place that more liberal people would go. But also, the majority of paper books sold in this country are either bought online or bought in a physical retailer that also sells other stuff primarily. Barnes & Noble and whatever other large chain bookstores are left, the second largest only operating in 31 states, are in a fast collapsing business and likely aiming to maximize sales - this probably reflects in their choice of what books to stock in their stores.

And as you said, you're in a conservative area. With a business model that's collapsing in on itself there's incentive to restrict (reasonably expensive upfront) inventory purchases to things that the area is likely to support. It doesn't even matter, really, if the people behind the books are actually popular anymore in their own right. Just that people might buy it and the publishing company might be putting out money to sponsor a display. There's a high chance that the location you went to won't even be in business in 3 years, so they've got nothing to do but gamble this way.

Edit:

quote:

Generation Y, those born between 1979 and 1989, spent the most money on books in 2011, taking over long-held book-buying leadership from Baby Boomers. That’s according to the 2012 U.S. Book Consumer Demographics and Buying Behaviors Annual Review, the publishing industry’s only complete consumer-based report integrating channel, motivation and category analysis of U.S. book buyers. The Review, an information staple prepared by Bowker® Market Research and industry trade magazine Publishers Weekly, notes that GenY’s 2011 book expenditures rose to 30 percent -- up from 24 percent in 2010 – passing Boomers, 25 percent share. And with 43 percent of GenY’s purchases going to online channels, they are adding momentum to the industry shift to digital.

I don't know how much this really says about it, but that is one of the more "liberal" demographics in the country who are buying books at the highest rate - and they're also buying online (which means both ebooks and just regular books ordered online) at almost a majority as of 2011, might even be a majority in 2012. It's probably safe to expect that the demographic composition of people still buying books in person is going to at least lean conservative.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 27, 2012

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Ricks' response to Fox's response to... you know the drill.

quote:

Mr. Clemente,

To clarify my comments for you: I did not apologize.

As it happened, I ran into Bret Baier as I emerged from the interview. We know each other from working at the Pentagon. He asked if I was serious in saying that Fox had hyped Bengahzi, and I said I was. We discussed that. It was cordial exchange. (I wouldn’t mention this private conversation except that you apparently are quoting my hallway conversations as part of your attack.)

Later, as I was leaving, the booker or producer (I am not sure what her title was) said she thought I had been rude. I said I might have been a bit snappish because I am tired of book tour. This was in no way an apology but rather an explanation of why I jumped a bit when the anchor began the segment with the assertion that pressure on the White House was building—which it most clearly was not.

Best,
Tom

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fox News is taking poo poo out of context? It's like they

code:
didn't build that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Republicans posted:

Michael Medved is talking mess about Bob Dylan's christmas album. :argh:

What did he say?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The flap over "did Tom Ricks apologize" could be more about butthurt TV personalities than the right-wing echo chamber. I'm trying to find a link about that time somebody dressed down Chuck Todd on MSNBC and he flipped out backstage, saying that attacks "hurt his brand." Pundits get nervous if it looks like they are doing a bad job of defending the network that pays them.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

LaserShark posted:

Ricks' response to Fox's response to... you know the drill.

They're just going to let him keep talking poo poo.

'Pressure is building.'
"Clearly no it ain't."
'...'

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

'Pressure is building.'

This seems to be the new thing on Fox. Not only droning endlessly on Benghazi, but each day something "looks like it's going to take this scandal to a whole new level". Just walking by TVs with Fox News on them briefly during the last day or two gave me this knowledge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's interesting to watch the pundits press hard on Benghazi. As if somehow saying over and over again that it's a major controversy will make it true through wishful thinking. The public just isn't really following along with them on this one, which surprises me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fallom posted:

It's interesting to watch the pundits press hard on Benghazi. As if somehow saying over and over again that it's a major controversy will make it true through wishful thinking. The public just isn't really following along with them on this one, which surprises me.

Crazy talking points are crazy.

I'm starting to think the GOP and their outlets are not going to change, despite the fact that its pretty obvious their loss in the recent election can at least in some way be tied to the messages the Right Wing Media tried to spread and their own delusions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am starting to wonder if we are reaching the breaking point of the disinformation age. I have to think the breakdown of the Conservative Media empire has a lot to do with stuff like election prediction, Benghazi, etc.

We've reached the point where absolutely no fact goes "unchallenged" by a polar opposite. This has happened a lot in the history of media, and usually ends up causing a hard snap back to very objective reporting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Glenn Beck Is Selling A Jar Of His Pee With A Toy Obama Inside

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

If youre gonna rip off PissChrist at least put in the minimal effort to throw an instagram filter on it or something

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I just said it in another thread but Piss Christ is 25 loving years old already. Get a new loving piece of art to get offended over holy poo poo.

I love that they keep pointing to that picture as "Evidence of anti-christian hate in America" while forgetting the irony of it being the example they can think of IN A QUARTER CENTURY.

You think if God hating liberal anarchofaggot art was so common, they could at least think of another example.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

If youre gonna rip off PissChrist at least put in the minimal effort to throw an instagram filter on it or something

Well to be fair, it IS Glenn Beck...and he DOES NOT have shame.

'I'm so furious about losing the election, I'm going to pee on Obama and sell it as art!'

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Well to be fair, it IS Glenn Beck...and he DOES NOT have shame.

'I'm so furious about losing the election, I'm going to pee on Obama and sell it as art!'

As I said earlier, he also literally bought the rights to someone else's book and just put his own name on it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

As I said earlier, he also literally bought the rights to someone else's book and just put his own name on it.

Its like watching someone become senile.

I give it a year before he is in a padded room.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its like watching someone become senile.

I give it a year before he is in a padded room.

By the way, for posterity, here is the synopsis

quote:

“I was just a baby when we were relocated and I don’t remember much. Everybody has that black hole at the beginning of their life. That time you can’t remember. Your first step. Your first taste of table food. My real memories begin in our assigned living area in Compound 14.”
Just a generation ago, this place was called America. Now, after the worldwide implementation of a UN-led program called Agenda 21, it’s simply known as “the Republic.” There is no president. No Congress. No Supreme Court. No freedom.

There are only the Authorities.

Citizens have two primary goals in the new Republic: to create clean energy and to create new human life. Those who cannot do either are of no use to society. This bleak and barren existence is all that eighteen-year-old Emmeline has ever known. She dutifully walks her energy board daily and accepts all male pairings assigned to her by the Authorities. Like most citizens, she keeps her head down and her eyes closed.

Until the day they come for her mother.

“You save what you think you’re going to lose.”

Woken up to the harsh reality of her life and her family’s future inside the Republic, Emmeline begins to search for the truth. Why are all citizens confined to ubiquitous concrete living spaces? Why are Compounds guarded by Gatekeepers who track all movements? Why are food, water and energy rationed so strictly? And, most important, why are babies taken from their mothers at birth? As Emmeline begins to understand the true objectives of Agenda 21 she realizes that she is up against far more than she ever thought. With the Authorities closing in, and nowhere to run, Emmeline embarks on an audacious plan to save her family and expose the Republic—but is she already too late?

And here is the honest-to-god bio of the woman who wrote it.

quote:

Harriet Parke is a registered nurse who specialized in emergency nursing and Emergency Department management. She has been published in My Dad Is My Hero anthology, five Voices from the Attic anthologies (published by Carlow University, Pittsburgh, Pa.), the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and Pittsburgh Magazine. She has received an honorable mention from an Atlantic Monthly student short fiction writing contest. She is a member of The Madwomen, a Carlow University writing group, and a member of Pennwriters. A wild peacock roosts on her deck anytime he chooses.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Are they still talking about Benghazi? lol

I once saw Glenn Beck's book about George Washington in B&N. It remains the only George Washington book I've ever seen that had the author's picture on the cover instead of George Washington.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Are they still talking about Benghazi? lol

I once saw Glenn Beck's book about George Washington in B&N. It remains the only George Washington book I've ever seen that had the author's picture on the cover instead of George Washington.

I've discovered that a good rule of thumb is that any political book worth reading will not have the Author's face on the cover.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I've discovered that a good rule of thumb is that any political book worth reading will not have the Author's face on the cover.

All I can see is 'Being John Malkovich'

This cover takes 'Smug rear end in a top hat' to a WHOLE new level, and I have the feeling if Washington was still alive today he would have challenged Glenn to a dual for his honor.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

I'm not sure if they're trying to spin it to the public, or if Fox is really interested in Benghazi gaining traction anywhere else.

The Benghazi incident has made me realize that Fox isn't really trying to expand their audience to me, or you, or Joe Public, or anyone who isn't already a hardcore Fox watcher. What they're trying to do is make their brand the only one that their base trusts. If they hammer on this sort of thing hard enough, their demographic may not expand, but it'll sure as hell solidify., and hardcore viewers will assume that they can't trust any media that doesn't reinforce what they've seen on Fox. They'll buy Fox books on Benghazi, pay to hear Fox personalities talk about Benghazi, and buy whatever Fox advertises because hey, they're the only guys you can trust, right? Glenn Beck and Ron Paul already have this sort of thing going, and they're making a mint. But Fox has the potential to pull it off bigger and better than anyone else.

I think what may actually determine future of the GOP more than anything else is who takes over after Ailes. If it's someone who's coming at it primarily from the business side of things, I'm guessing they'll double down on the crazy, and take the GOP with them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Glenn Beck is mentally ill, look at how creepy and maniacal he is as he dances around what he wants to imply here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVH_45acqaM

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Glenn Beck is mentally ill, look at how creepy and maniacal he is as he dances around what he wants to imply here:

Its pretty much just like Bill O'reilly's statement about the 'White Establishment', the fact that Fox News thinks its all right to keep using these trash spewers is the ultimate proof of how terrible they really are at heart.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SedanChair posted:

There is a quote that goes "Fame does not change a person, it just shows who they truly are."

Watching the stretch of Beck from CNN host to Alex Jones impersonator has been fascinating. He must have always been that crazy, he just has had less and less restrictions placed on him as time went on.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty much just like Bill O'reilly's statement about the 'White Establishment', the fact that Fox News thinks its all right to keep using these trash spewers is the ultimate proof of how terrible they really are at heart.

I really truthfully believe that for whatever reason. (I guess a black president?) that right wing mouthpieces are becoming more and more comfortable admitting that they are white supremacists. This isn't something I am pulling out of thin air either. When bill o Reilly is on tv in tears about the white establishment not being in charge anymore. That makes me raise an eyebrow. How people didn't get more outraged by that rant really surprises me. I really am glad that the right wing media outlets are finally saying what they actually mean now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

I really truthfully believe that for whatever reason. (I guess a black president?) that right wing mouthpieces are becoming more and more comfortable admitting that they are white supremacists. This isn't something I am pulling out of thin air either. When bill o Reilly is on tv in tears about the white establishment not being in charge anymore. That makes me raise an eyebrow. How people didn't get more outraged by that rant really surprises me. I really am glad that the right wing media outlets are finally saying what they actually mean now.

With groups like the Tea Party coming into power, you'll see it more too. Because they are not afraid to show that they have no knowledge of history and civil rights, and are proud to stand on good old American traditions from the 50's (Like Racism and the KKK).

Its like White Supremacy has realized why it got kicked to the curb, but instead of dropping their racist views they decided to just approach politics from a different angle, more subtle but no less racist. They decided to present racism, xenophobia, and homophobia as good American and Christian values. As the Far Right claws to maintain some control of the Federal Government, they'll bring these values out even more, hoping to attract die-hards to their cause.

But in the long run they'll lose, because the Baby Boomers are disappearing and generations are changing.

And the GOP has bought it hook line and sinker.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Because Fox News is a money-making scheme more than it is a power-structuring scheme. For eight years it was both, but that time has passed. They want dumb old white people to buy gold stocks and lovely life insurance. Given the choice between continuing to milk the wealthy and ignorant, or actually controlling public policy, they are sticking with the milking.

EDIT: I feel like we should start taking bets for when a Fox News Anchor will say the N-word Dr. Laura style.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 28, 2012

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

The_Rob posted:

I'm going to be honest here, I didn't believe that racism had any presence at all in American politics before the right wing started to go nuts over the Obama presidency. I guess that makes me naive and maybe kind-of a dipshit? Anyway, the situation is much more clear now. Rather depressing, really.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Limerick posted:

I'm going to be honest here, I didn't believe that racism had any presence at all in American politics before the right wing started to go nuts over the Obama presidency. I guess that makes me naive and maybe kind-of a dipshit? Anyway, the situation is much more clear now. Rather depressing, really.

It was up and coming, but Obama's first election victory really brought it into the lime light, and its only grown since then. The Tea Party really took off around 2008, and only grew more terrible the bigger it got.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Limerick posted:

I think its more that "black president" was a yard stick for racial progress for a long time, so the second we got a black president the Republicans wanted to officially declare "racism is over."

And by "racism is over" they really meant "we can be racist in public now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I think its more that "black president" was a yard stick for racial progress for a long time, so the second we got a black president the Republicans wanted to officially declare "racism is over."

And by "racism is over" they really meant "we can be racist in public now"

The worst part of all is how they bundle it: You are either a Christian (which in their eyes means you are a homophobic, racist, and Pro-Life [Anti-Choice]) Patriot (Xenophobic and Racist)Conservative (Which just means you are anti-tax and blindly pro-military) or you are an evil Communist/Socialist/Marxist/Your-Socialism-Buzzword-here. Period.

And a lot of the religious right are buying it. You are either an American Christian Patriot Conservative or you are a dirty Communist Liberal Scum.

They really DID bring the 50's back! :allears: