Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, GoT isn't too bad, it's got some flavours of Diplomacy in it, which is also enjoyable.

Talking about worker placement games, I recommend Dungeon Petz/Lords, but if you are looking for something that is truly competitive, Dominant Species is a very good game. It's cut-throat as hell, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sherrard posted:

Cards aren't really that important in CE. The ~optimal play~ is in negotiation, not cardplay.
Cosmic Encounter is basically a card game. The bluffing and negotiation are performed in the context of managing your cards. Without cards it would just be a boring game about cajoling the majority of the table to support you instead of the other guy for a 50%+1-way shared victory.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, GoT isn't too bad, it's got some flavours of Diplomacy in it, which is also enjoyable.

Talking about worker placement games, I recommend Dungeon Petz/Lords, but if you are looking for something that is truly competitive, Dominant Species is a very good game. It's cut-throat as hell, though.

I have Dungeon Lords, though we haven't played it yet. Dominant Species has always seemed interesting, I just don't know a whole lot about it so that's good to hear.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

gnome7 posted:

When I introduced a new player into the group with a crew of other people who already knew how to play, I just did a rundown on what all the action buttons did, where the battle bots and rockets were, how energy flow works, the elevator hangup, went over data transfers and communication failures, and how to read the enemy track. Then we just started up a regular Simulation, ran through that once, and by the end of it he was fully on track with how everything worked. Then I told him about internal threats and we did a real mission. Maybe 40 minutes to cover everything, and that includes playing a full game and setting up for the second.

I got this recently and it's great (thanks, thread!).

The way we intro new people (one at a time) is by making them the Captain and throwing them straight into the deep end with zero explanation (and make them pick the trajectories). Then the whole game it's all "Well yes, sir, but"-style in-character explanations. If your crew is confident enough, detail someone to shadow the Captain like a driving-school instructor.

Dealt with a threat? Ignore the person/people who did the work and everyone congratulates the Captain on such a fine job. Failed to deal with a threat? "Ah well, better luck next time sir." We've done this several times now and it's a hoot every time.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Did you get two sets [of Netrunner]? You should get a second set.

No, I didn't. I am pretty broke right now and got the first with some birthday cash.

My wallet will hate me for asking but how important is a second set? I am aware that there are some cards with no duplicates (thus the "need" for a second set) but so far I am just playing with my significant other. I do, however, live very close to both CoolStuff stores and I am hoping they will have a community and/or events.

edit: this is my first LCG so I was actually kind of blindsided after I got it because I didn't want to buy packs/boxes repeatedly so I'll just skip it

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 28, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You'll only need a second set if you want to get into some serious deckbuilding.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

General Battuta posted:

You'll only need a second set if you want to get into some serious deckbuilding.

If you want to play more than a handful of games and don't do serious deckbuilding you're doing it wrong though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If you're not looking to be super-serious with Netrunner there's no reason to buy more core sets. Grab the expansion packs when they hit if you want variety/deckbuilding.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

stoko posted:

Dominant Species has always seemed interesting, I just don't know a whole lot about it so that's good to hear.
It's a brutally competitive game with a ton of choices you can make for how you place your workers- it's also about area control in a strong sense, since that's how you'll get points, but you're simultaneously building and degrading the area of the board while working to better adapt and screw other players out of certain areas.

Dominant Species rules, but it is extremely cutthroat, like Tekopo said, there's not going to be pleasant negotiating and discussion, you are actively out to dick everyone else over in the most self-beneficial way possible. If you're not getting up in other players' faces and being aggressive enough, you'll definitely lose- even if one person simply isn't putting enough pressure on one other player, that player can gain a sizable advantage. Love Dominant Species, though, wish I could play it more often.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crackbone posted:

If you're not looking to be super-serious with Netrunner there's no reason to buy more core sets. Grab the expansion packs when they hit if you want variety/deckbuilding.

The primary reason you want two core sets is to have two corp and two runner decks built simultaneously. With one core set you can only have one of each without swapping out cards.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Just played my first $20 game of The Castles of Burgundy and had a great time. It went straight out of Amazon box and onto playing without a hitch. A great addition to my growing light/medium euro collection.

Thanks goons! :thumbsup:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As an early holiday gift, a friend of mine ordered me a copy of Catacombs. I'm really excited, but unfortunately won't be able to play it until the semester is over and I move. Is it worth playing with less than 5? I saw it plays 1v1, and I'd love that to be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Countblanc posted:

As an early holiday gift, a friend of mine ordered me a copy of Catacombs. I'm really excited, but unfortunately won't be able to play it until the semester is over and I move. Is it worth playing with less than 5? I saw it plays 1v1, and I'd love that to be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh yeah it works just fine with any number 2-5. Take as many heroes as is required.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I need a suggestion for a game that teaches fast, plays fast, scales well to ~7 people, and will impress a lady after I talked poo poo about Catan and promised to show up with something better. :ohdear: I've already got The Resistance, currently thinking 7 Wonders?

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

General Battuta posted:

I need a suggestion for a game that teaches fast, plays fast, scales well to ~7 people, and will impress a lady after I talked poo poo about Catan and promised to show up with something better. :ohdear: I've already got The Resistance, currently thinking 7 Wonders?

I think you already have the best answers to this question.

Comedy option: Wizard Kings

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

General Battuta posted:

Who's the rear end?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's gotta be Jungle Speed

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

General Battuta posted:

7 Wonders sounds like the single best solution to be honest. It has depth and interaction without locking people out of the game like Catan does, and keeps the pace high.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Can we stop calling it Castles of Burgandy and go for Die Burgen von de Burgffgegf or whatever it was when it was the new hotness and only imported?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sherrard posted:

Can we stop calling it Castles of Burgandy and go for Die Burgen von de Burgffgegf or whatever it was when it was the new hotness and only imported?

Die burger von burger.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
I ended up buying the "second expansion" for Castles of Burgin' from the geek, and while $5 bucks for 4 tiles is kinda silly, I'm stoked to be getting it. The 8 maps from Spielbox were great and worth it as well.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I ended up getting 2 useless promos from the Geek Store just to get that Treebeard promo for War of the Ring. I really wished they hadn't done that, but I guess it's what you have to do to move stock no one wants. v:smith:v

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

stoko posted:

OK guys, I need a recommendation for a huge, long, political-ish game. I'm thinking something along the lines of Twilight Imperium or Eclipse, but my group always seems to prefer fantasy themes more than sci-fi.
I've been successful in getting them to play Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker, but it was a huge pain selling the theme. They all seem to like the Dune board game (I know it's sci-fi, but they have all already read the books so it is forgiven) and Risk 2210, but are always talking about playing new 3+ hour games. I have very little interest in playing Dune or Risk, as when it comes to long games I prefer less war and more politics and trading. And yes, I do recognize that the two games I said they like are both sci-fi, they just seem to want things that are not too science-fictiony.

I convinced my wife to buy me TI3 for xmas, but is there something that we can play before-hand to try and get them on-board with it?

Ikusa, maybe? It's a favorite of mine, which is why I'm suggesting it. It's a long-rear end strategy game set in Feudal Japan where you take armies and militias, take places over, and then get more of those. Also, it uses d12s, which is a point in its favor. Normally I wouldn't suggest it because the game takes an absolute assload of time, especially with the full five players, but you already said you wanted something along the lines of Twilight Imperium so you're no stranger to blowing an entire day on waging pretend war on people.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't know why but I have a real aversion to plastic models within wargames. Ikusa sounds good but the plastic models really put me off. It's the same with other wargames, I would like Battle Cry more if it wasn't for the tacky plastic union/confederate soldiers.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

I ended up getting 2 useless promos from the Geek Store just to get that Treebeard promo for War of the Ring. I really wished they hadn't done that, but I guess it's what you have to do to move stock no one wants. v:smith:v

The price for it would have been $10 anyway according to them. I mean the survive octopus is around that much and its not even a figurine. I bought the Treebeard without realizing they are likely releasing the painted edition of Lords of Middle Earth which has a painted Tree beard in it though.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
So my love of NetRunner (I'm blogging about it now, in fact) has me curious about the other games with the Android branding published by FFG. What have the experiences been with them?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

So my love of NetRunner (I'm blogging about it now, in fact) has me curious about the other games with the Android branding published by FFG. What have the experiences been with them?

Infiltration is meh at best.

Android itself is a pretty horrible. It's great at creating a narrative but pretty well sucks at everything else.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

The OG Android is an ambitious experiment that failed. Infiltrator seems to be like a chromier Incan Gold which could be cool.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If you like the Android universe you might be interested in the novels. Free Fall and Golem are surprisingly good. Strange Flesh sucks donkey balls and should be avoided at all costs.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tekopo posted:

It's the same with other wargames, I would like Battle Cry more if it wasn't for the tacky plastic union/confederate soldiers.

Well, you could always replace them with blue and grey blocks. :3:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Well, you could always replace them with blue and grey blocks. :3:
A project for the future when I have more time I think. I'd have to design stickers for them as well, shame that they would have to be generic since due to the modular nature of Battle Cry you fight both battles on the west and east.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So I have a somewhat odd question. I'm getting a cousin that's getting into boardgames Ticket to Ride, as that seems to be a universally agreed upon good intro game, and I'm into it too. I don't own my own copy, which leads me to ask, can you play it straight out of the box? As memory serves, there aren't any chits to punch, and the only components are cars and cards. I figure we might want to play it at the family Christmas party, and don't want to waste any time that could bore a drunk and distractible family.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think you're right, I can't imagine anything to punch out or assemble or anything.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

SinetheGuy posted:

So I have a somewhat odd question. I'm getting a cousin that's getting into boardgames Ticket to Ride, as that seems to be a universally agreed upon good intro game, and I'm into it too. I don't own my own copy, which leads me to ask, can you play it straight out of the box? As memory serves, there aren't any chits to punch, and the only components are cars and cards. I figure we might want to play it at the family Christmas party, and don't want to waste any time that could bore a drunk and distractible family.

You have to open some bags to spill the trains and score markers into their bins included with the game. And shuffle the cards. That's about all the setup required before play.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I own Android and have played it a few times. It's drenched in theme, it's one of those games where you just feel compelled to read all the flavor text. The characters all feel very different to play and their cybernoir archetypes definitely come through. However, it's a complete mess in just about every other area. You're expected to do a lot with a very limited amount of time. Quite a lot of the things you have to do feel like they take too much time, like the middle section of the board that divides the New Angeles area and Heinlen pretty much eats your entire turn just to move through it. And thanks to how evidence gets moved around you will eventually move between the two.

Android just makes me sad. It was a very ambitious experiment absolutely dripping with good ideas. It could've been brilliant. I think if it weren't made by Kevin "Arkham Horror" Wilson things would have been different.

I really looked forward to Infiltration before it came out, because I love Michael Mann movies. I've gotten to play it a few times now, and I suppose one of the good things I can say about it is that it doesn't take much time to play. It's supposed to be a thrilling heist themed game. Break into a lucrative target with your crew, get as much as you can, and get out before Lone Star the authorities get there. And of course, it's every man for himself once you break in. It's a great idea for a game but it didn't pan out too well in this case. In every game I've played of it one character always hits it lucky early on, gets a massive amount of loot and takes off. The rest of the characters then just push onward deeper into the building hoping that something better will come along and also provide a way out before the timer runs out. It either does, and they win, or it doesn't and the player who got out first wins. That's pretty much all there is to the game. There's no real sense of working together or screwing each other over outside of a few item cards here and there. If you like push-your-luck games of chance, then it would probably be pretty fun, but otherwise it is intensely mediocre.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

LordZoric posted:

I own Android and have played it a few times. It's drenched in theme, it's one of those games where you just feel compelled to read all the flavor text. The characters all feel very different to play and their cybernoir archetypes definitely come through. However, it's a complete mess in just about every other area. You're expected to do a lot with a very limited amount of time. Quite a lot of the things you have to do feel like they take too much time, like the middle section of the board that divides the New Angeles area and Heinlen pretty much eats your entire turn just to move through it. And thanks to how evidence gets moved around you will eventually move between the two.

Android just makes me sad. It was a very ambitious experiment absolutely dripping with good ideas. It could've been brilliant. I think if it weren't made by Kevin "Arkham Horror" Wilson things would have been different.
Android is one of the few games that I bought on theme alone and regretted it. I'm glad to have got rid of it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Android is one of the few games that I bought on theme alone and regretted it. I'm glad to have got rid of it.

I almost bought it off of an auction for five dollars. Might've been worth it at that price?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

silvergoose posted:

I almost bought it off of an auction for five dollars. Might've been worth it at that price?

No.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But...it's so very, very pretty.

Didn't win the auction anyway, I think it went up to 12 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

silvergoose posted:

But...it's so very, very pretty.

Didn't win the auction anyway, I think it went up to 12 or something.

Plus $30 shipping? That box is heavy.

• Locked thread