Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So... is Otoyomegatari still being released, or is there just no one translating it anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ANIME AKBAR posted:

So... is Otoyomegatari still being released, or is there just no one translating it anymore?

The last scanslated chapter (Chapter 25) was released on 24 September, about a month ago. That's not an unusually long release schedule for a monthly series.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyome runs in a monthly mag but is bimonthly itself. The newest chapter is already in progress and should be up within the next few days if not tonight.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Oh yes that makes sense. I went for Russia since that's where my mind goes when I think of European Empresses, but that works much better.

I assumed Russia as well, but it was because of the soldier's uniforms.

Also god, Vinland Saga is getting more :smith: by the moment.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyome-Gatari 26: DDL/Read Online

Favorite part of this one was the panel where their faces lit up over NEW BOATS:woop:
What's really exciting is the stinger at the end. Are we going back to Pariya?

In related Kaoru Mori news, her short stories book is coming out just in time for the holidays. I bought two Japanese copies planning to butcher and translate one but welp I'll probably buy the english version too. It has my official Taste-Haver Stamp of Approval, with a few stories that are funny, some cute, some romantic, and one that's just scarcely veiled t&a. Also some character sketches for Emma and Otoyome in the back.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Otoyome 26: That trap was pretty fantastic, and well deserved.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That entire arc was way too cute.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Perfect remedy for the currently :smith: Vinland Saga.

I also loved the "But I guess I'll never really know."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Vinland Saga 88

Well, things sure got unsettling for a bit :stare:. Arneis dodged a few bullets, but still...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Oh jesus things are going south fast. Just like always in the past bunch of chapters.

So I suppose Leif will buy Arneis when Ketil bites it then. Or they'll take her with them during the chaos without buying her.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Plutonis posted:

Vinland Saga 88

Well, things sure got unsettling for a bit :stare:. Arneis dodged a few bullets, but still...

I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't dodge the most important one. If that beating was as vicious as it looked, having a miscarriage/stillborn seems the most obvious conclusion.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

Vinland Saga 88

Snake is an awesome guy. If he and Thorfinn don't wind up teaming up to kick some rear end it will be a huge loss.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Doesn't the rest of this post count as a spoiler?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mo_Steel posted:

Snake is an awesome guy. If he and Thorfinn don't wind up teaming up to kick some rear end it will be a huge loss.
Is he the type that would flee the farm, though? Hard to say.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Doesn't the rest of this post count as a spoiler?

I don't think so for two reasons. 1) The chapter is out. Yeah a bit of a dick move to talk about events right under it but that brings me to point two

2) Nothing is really said. "Arneis dodged some bullets" isn't really a spoiler. Nothing is explained, nothing is described. It's a vague statement about the events in the chapter.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Volume posted:

I don't think so for two reasons.

1) It is discussion about a current release, which would fall under the spoiler tag rules. 2) For me at least it deflated the tension of the chapter.

I'll drop it if no one else has a problem with it, though.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Volume posted:

I don't think so for two reasons. 1) The chapter is out. Yeah a bit of a dick move to talk about events right under it but that brings me to point two

2) Nothing is really said. "Arneis dodged some bullets" isn't really a spoiler. Nothing is explained, nothing is described. It's a vague statement about the events in the chapter.

I gotta say I agree that it is a spoiler. It's a small one but it irked me too. Saying "this girl we were all worried about : she survives" is exactly a spoiler and does remove tension, even if you're not saying exactly how things go down.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Yeah, I gotta agree that it was an annoyance. I mean, that's what the spoiler tags are for, and if something being a spoiler is debatable, then it's a spoiler (same principle as with "if you are not sure if something is a spoiler, it's a spoiler").

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I was trying to be as vague as possible to avoid this kind of debate, but i guess it can't be helped. :frogbon:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jackard posted:

Is he the type that would flee the farm, though? Hard to say.
Of course not. Though the way things have been going, it's quite likely that the farm isn't going to exist for very much longer.

Simply because of how well developed he is as a character, I think we can assume Snake will be coming along with Thorfinn to Vinland.

Plutonis posted:

I was trying to be as vague as possible to avoid this kind of debate, but i guess it can't be helped. :frogbon:
There's a really easy way to have helped it... spoiler tags.

I don't get what people have against using them. There are no negative consequences for using them when you shouldn't, and plenty of negative consequences not using the when you should. They're really useful and unobtrusive, and above all really drat considerate.

Considerate is good. Let's be considerate.

It was a pretty innocent and vague spoiler, so it's not the end of the world or anything, but it's kind of frustrating if only because there's no reason for it to not be behind spoiler tags.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Is the giant bloodthirsty Viking who likes Thorfinn on his way to the farm with the king? I can't remember.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Simstim posted:

Is the giant bloodthirsty Viking who likes Thorfinn on his way to the farm with the king? I can't remember.

You mean Thorkell? He's not there with Canute, unless he's been hiding in the boat.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

I'm really just waiting for Thorkel to drag Thorfin and co. to the Jomviking stronghold to meet Grandpa-Badass.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't know about you guys, but personally I'm wanting more Game of Thrones Machiavellian stuff with Canute.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I don't know about you guys, but personally I'm wanting more Game of Thrones Machiavellian stuff with Canute.

This and I want Thorfinn to be around Canute in some way, then we can see some awesome huge battle art.

Don't know how many men Canute brought but the Ketil's have a few badass within their group. Son, Father, Snake and Thorfinn(if he decides to fight) could easily take out a group or two.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Thorkell is going to join the Vinland group and it is going to be awesome.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Raku posted:

Thorkell is going to join the Vinland group and it is going to be awesome.

Thorkell is going to learn to simultaneously be Thorkell as gently caress while making a philosophical turn around and it is going to be glorious.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
I miss Thorkell and hope he comes back soon to inevitably comment on how Thorfinn's changed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

This whole "action" arc is just an interlude between the real meat of the manga. I can't wait until they get to Vinland or something and get back to some badass farming and hard work.

Though first I hope there's a lengthy dramatic navigation interlude with Lief, where we learn all about the hardships of oceanic exploration!

Zorak posted:

Thorkell is going to learn to simultaneously be Thorkell as gently caress while making a philosophical turn around and it is going to be glorious.
Alternately, Thorkell is going to utterly fail to understand Thorfinn's epiphany, and circumstance will force them to fight, with Thorkell representing the purest form of all the blind Viking violence that Thorfinn has rejected, and now has to overcome, and it'll be tragic because Thorkell knows there's something there, but it's just out of reach for him.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Eiba posted:

Alternately, Thorkell is going to utterly fail to understand Thorfinn's epiphany, and circumstance will force them to fight, with Thorkell representing the purest form of all the blind Viking violence that Thorfinn has rejected, and now has to overcome, and it'll be tragic because Thorkell knows there's something there, but it's just out of reach for him.
"You have the same look as your father!?"

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Omniphile posted:

I miss Thorkell and hope he comes back soon to inevitably comment on how Thorfinn's changed.

And then punch his horse. You know, for old time's sake.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Eiba posted:

This whole "action" arc is just an interlude between the real meat of the manga. I can't wait until they get to Vinland or something and get back to some badass farming and hard work.

You're tellin' me!! I was so shocked by the time I'd gotten through like 2/3rds of the chapters that are up right now and saw at the end or beginning of one of the chapters: "End of Prologue". There's so much left to do in this manga, I think. And there's definitely got to be a reason why it's titled "Vinland Saga", rather than "Viking Saga". This must all be leading up to Thorfinn going on some kind of quest to Vinland, perhaps ordered by Canute? I cannot wait to see where it goes!

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

This must all be leading up to Thorfinn going on some kind of quest to Vinland, perhaps ordered by Canute? I cannot wait to see where it goes!

I've been hoping for a while Thorfinn escapes by sea and Canute commands the tide to bring him back - just because I really want a 'ruler of the waves' scene.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hallgerd posted:

I've been hoping for a while Thorfinn escapes by sea and Canute commands the tide to bring him back - just because I really want a 'ruler of the waves' scene.

Didn't the tide thing already happen?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Cesare.

Man, Angelo is an idiot. The author does seem to be placing less and less of a focus on him though, hopefully that continues.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Baltzar

Lotta political manuevers just to build a railway.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

New Baltzar

Lotta political manuevers just to build a railway.

Art imitates life.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Read through all of what's available of Gunka no Baltzar and goddamn. Once the worker's revolt becomes a thing and poo poo starts getting real this thing goes from "pretty good" to "really awesome". The super-anime poses and stuff just make it even better.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
New Vinland Saga!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost
Oh come on. The suspense is killing me here, would they get on with it already?!

Also I'm surprised that the kid seems to be all right. Also Leif's reaction to finding his prodigal feels kind of swept under the rug, like it's not a major plot point. Not that I mind, just kind of odd.