Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Euro launch is in two days. Every shop in the Netherlands is sold out and most have the second shipment on December 14th reserved for customers who missed the first batch.

However, Mediamarkt claims they have dozens available in each store since they received large quantities and barely any reservations. Sounds too good to be true, but if you are Dutch it might be worth a try if you want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

.TakaM posted:

Nah, it was definitely a Wii-U rumour, they talked about how great the sketchy crayon style looked in HD.
No, that was about the 3DS remake. You're confusing 3 and H.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

.TakaM posted:

Nah, it was definitely a Wii-U rumour, they talked about how great the sketchy crayon style looked in HD.

I can imagine Nintendo (and other companies) making a lot prototypes or proofs of concept based on their franchises for all sorts of consoles, to experiment and see how well it'd work. Who knows, there might be a build of F-Zero GX for the Wii.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For those in Australia, I went down to EB today and they will honour the Kmart price, as long as Kmart has them in-stock (so yes, you were right Conclusions, I admit it. I'd just never seen them do that before). Might go down early Friday morning and hope for the best. Possibly with a list of phone numbers for the 2-3 Kmarts, just in case.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

As long as the people who made the awful DS version have nothing to do with it, I'm there.

This guy is on the money.

Hell I would throw piles of money at nintendo if they just replicated the first title. Or at least removed the characters I could care less about and follow in the first titles foot steps.

horriblePencilist posted:

I can imagine Nintendo (and other companies) making a lot prototypes or proofs of concept based on their franchises for all sorts of consoles, to experiment and see how well it'd work. Who knows, there might be a build of F-Zero GX for the Wii.

Also you are boned on this if you already pre-ordered right? I pre-ordered ages ago at EB, not because I think they are great but because they are like 500 meters from my house and I am like that.

insidius fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 28, 2012

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Nevermind, double post.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

insidius posted:

Also you are boned on this if you already pre-ordered right? I pre-ordered ages ago at EB, not because I think they are great but because they are like 500 meters from my house and I am like that.

No, you're not boned. I asked them today. Their response:

quote:

Hi AngryCaterpillar,

Thanks for contacting us!

If you wished to cancel a pre-order the deposit would certainly be refunded to you.

The refund process varies though, depending on how you have placed your order.

With in-store orders, or pre-orders placed online for pick-up in-store, you can request the cancellation in-store, and the staff will refund your order in person there and then.

With online orders for delivery, you can contact us here at Customer Service on 133 930 and we will cancel your order from here.

I hope this information helps with your enquiry.

Thanks again for contacting us, we hope to see you in store again soon!

Kind regards,

Lucy Tyler | Customer Service Representative

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

.TakaM posted:

The new Yoshi Land game has been rumoured for Wii-U for quite a long time actually, I'm not sure where I heard of it first but it's been floating around since before we knew anything about the Wii-U.

Yeah, the rumour that Good-Feel (the Kirby's Epic Yarn/Wario Land: Shake Dimension devs) are working on a HD Yoshi platformer has been kicking around for a long time, but it's not actually based on anything credible.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, the rumour that Good-Feel (the Kirby's Epic Yarn/Wario Land: Shake Dimension devs) are working on a HD Yoshi platformer has been kicking around for a long time, but it's not actually based on anything credible.

That kinda worries me, Wario Land wasn't very good and Epic Yarn was good mostly in spite of its gameplay. At least it'll looking loving fantastic though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'd still kick the crap out of every other Yoshi game that's not Yoshi's Island.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

Yeah, that's the thing. I do remember they noted it was a remake of one of the stages from Yoshi's Island which probably means it was a proof of concept rather than a full remake in the works.

Whatever the case, I really hope it turns out to be true and Nintendo has their best team working on it. (unlike Yoshi's Island DS)

absolutely anything posted:

Wario Land wasn't very good
Aw really? I had fun playing it and wound up 100%ing it. It wasn't revolutionary or anything but I liked it for what it was.

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Nov 28, 2012

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It'd still kick the crap out of every other Yoshi game that's not Yoshi's Island.

Fair point.

.TakaM posted:

Aw really? I had fun playing it and wound up 100%ing it. It wasn't revolutionary or anything but I liked it for what it was.

I really had to force myself to get through Shake It. It was pretty disappointing and just kinda turned into a boring slog by the end. Wario Land 2 is still king. Pretty though!

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh God, I just began the long journey of redownloading all my Wiiware and VC games. I never realized that when downloading something from your history, you get dumped back to the main menu after each one.

This is gonna be fun...

I sat there for 2 hours listening to Mario collecting coins.

2 hours

Context
Sep 11, 2006
I just saw this on the front page of Target.com:

Doesn't it sound like they still think the gamepad is an accessory to the Wii? Or maybe a standalone handheld? Anything but a new console, really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Honestly the gamepad its basically the whole console so I can imagine referring to the whole package that way. Would anyone in this thread be buying the console if the pro controller was the standard and there was no gamepad?(well I maybe would if it were two years ago and 100-150 bucks cheaper)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

greatn posted:

Honestly the gamepad its basically the whole console so I can imagine referring to the whole package that way.

Except the console is capable of connecting to two gamepads, though there aren't yet any games that can take advantage of that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cockmaster posted:

Except the console is capable of connecting to two gamepads, though there aren't yet any games that can take advantage of that.

Theoretically. It says so on the box. I'm sure it's also compatible with the Wii vitality sensor but I'll believe it when I see it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Theoretically. It says so on the box. I'm sure it's also compatible with the Wii vitality sensor but I'll believe it when I see it.

No, this was actually tested and proven by Nintendo after people kept asking about it. They each only run at 30 FPS though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Context posted:

Doesn't it sound like they still think the gamepad is an accessory to the Wii? Or maybe a standalone handheld? Anything but a new console, really.

Because the marketing was and still is absolutely terrible. The thing launches here in Germany in less than 48 hours and the only place I've seen it so far outside of the internet was business news on TV of all places, because they reported on the US sales numbers. Nintendo is doing a poo poo job at promoting it.

menchi
Jul 14, 2004
I'm in the UK here and I just got my Wii U from Amazon.co.uk! On the one hand I'm over the moon as it's my day off, but on the other hand does anyone think trying to connect to the Nintendo online stuff will screw anything up it being early?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Don't panic, play your console. They won't come to get you.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

Because the marketing was and still is absolutely terrible. The thing launches here in Germany in less than 48 hours and the only place I've seen it so far outside of the internet was business news on TV of all places, because they reported on the US sales numbers. Nintendo is doing a poo poo job at promoting it.
It's still selling out everywhere, so I don't think they really care.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

menchi posted:

I'm in the UK here and I just got my Wii U from Amazon.co.uk! On the one hand I'm over the moon as it's my day off, but on the other hand does anyone think trying to connect to the Nintendo online stuff will screw anything up it being early?

If it's Deluxe, just don't buy anything from the eShop yet... the US box clearly stated that discounts would begin on 11/18 (Launch Day) so you wouldn't want to miss out by buying early.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

zenintrude posted:

If it's Deluxe, just don't buy anything from the eShop yet... the US box clearly stated that discounts would begin on 11/18 (Launch Day) so you wouldn't want to miss out by buying early.

The points program will be retroactive.

Edit: I see what you are saying, but the offical reward points website says you will earn points on or after Nov 18th so I would guess if it even allows you to connect early then the purchases would probably still count. I guess better to be safe than sorry and wait until the 30th though.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 28, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

I have been seeing television commercials advertising it constantly for weeks now. I am in the US though. No idea how they are advertising it in Germany.

I do think that they could have done a much better promoting it, but the fact that retailers and some media are still screwing this stuff up is ridiculous. If you are reporting on a product then you are expected to learn about it before doing so. That is why you are a "reporter". If you are selling/marketing a product as a retailer then you are expected to understand what you are selling at least to a reasonable degree. It's not like the information hasn't been very easily accessible for a long time now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Joramun posted:

It's still selling out everywhere, so I don't think they really care.

It's far from sold out in the US and seems pretty readily available here. They're wasting potential.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

If you are selling/marketing a product as a retailer then you are expected to understand what you are selling at least to a reasonable degree. It's not like the information hasn't been very easily accessible for a long time now.
Target may be intentionally referring to the whole thing as a gamepad because ever since the rise of the iPad the word pad has become more familiar to the general and non-gamer public than the word console. Plus, it's also the system's most defining characteristic and its most differentiating selling point compared to Sony and MS, so that's what they would want to draw the casual buyer's attention to.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 28, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Joramun posted:

Target may be intentionally referring to the whole thing as a gamepad because ever since the rise of the iPad the word pad is more familiar now to the general and non-gamer public than the word console.

Eh...I think that is a stretch. The phrase "game console" has been used for decades. People know what it is and if you are one of the few who doesn't then it is extremely easy to figure out on your own or ask.

Now, it might be true that Target believes that the word "gamepad" will push sales more due to shiny buzz words but that's an entirely different line of reasoning.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Naming it the Wii U is still the dumbest decision they've made on the console so far. The Wii 2 would have no confusion. The Nintendo U would have had no confusion. The any other name would have had no confusion, or trying to make the system look substantially different would have avoided confusion.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

greatn posted:

Naming it the Wii U is still the dumbest decision they've made on the console so far. The Wii 2 would have no confusion. The Nintendo U would have had no confusion. The any other name would have had no confusion, or trying to make the system look substantially different would have avoided confusion.
What's the confusion? Are people accidentally buying the Wii thinking it's a Wii U?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

People said the same thing about Wii. Give it six months and it will be fine. It's a dumb as poo poo argument.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Legdiian posted:

What's the confusion? Are people accidentally buying the Wii thinking it's a Wii U?

I don't think anyone did that, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people aren't aware what the WiiU actually really is.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The wii U is a fine name. Nintendo is obviously trying to brand everything "Wii." Wii U, Wii Mini, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if there are more things to come out in the future that are have wii as a prefix.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

GreenNight posted:

People said the same thing about Wii. Give it six months and it will be fine. It's a dumb as poo poo argument.

It's not really the same argument at all though. Nobody thought the Wii's name would confuse people into thinking it was an add-on for the GameCube.

Edit:

Legdiian posted:

Haven't been keeping up with this thread since launch but surely this has been posted.

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 28, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I think some of you are not giving the masses enough credit. Most people are accustomed to Googling now and many have the internet in their pocket at all times. The average joe might not be as good at looking up and finding information as many of us in this thread are, but they are good enough.

There are also the kids to consider. They figure this stuff out and tell their parents because they want it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

The wii U is a fine name. Nintendo is obviously trying to brand everything "Wii." Wii U, Wii Mini, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if there are more things to come out in the future that are have wii as a prefix.

Good of you to stop after "Wii U, Wii Mini, etc." because there is nothing else that fits your example. The Wii Mini is still a Wii, that's why it's called a Wii. The problem with "Wii U" is that there are so many loving things named "Wii X" (Wii, WiiFit, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Sport, Wii Play, WiiMote, etc.) that it just seems like yet another thing that works with your Wii.

They wouldn't have to outright name it Wii2 (XBox 360 works just fine, for example) except they watered down the name of the console so much that you either have to make it really obvious or change the name completely. All that being said, it'll work itself out in a while but it's just yet another bad decision that takes time and money to be fixed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I seem to remember the flood of Wii commercials came a while after it had been out. I think Nintendo knows its going to sell out to videogame types right away and when it goes for the 'casual' market it wants boxes on the shelves. If random soccer mom goes to impulse by the new thing her kids yelled for and its out of stock, she might not ever come back around to get it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I just realized that you can sort miiverse posts by most popular instead of just most recent :stare: this is even more awesome

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

Good of you to stop after "Wii U, Wii Mini, etc." because there is nothing else that fits your example. The Wii Mini is still a Wii, that's why it's called a Wii. The problem with "Wii U" is that there are so many loving things named "Wii X" (Wii, WiiFit, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Sport, Wii Play, WiiMote, etc.) that it just seems like yet another thing that works with your Wii.

They wouldn't have to outright name it Wii2 (XBox 360 works just fine, for example) except they watered down the name of the console so much that you either have to make it really obvious or change the name completely. All that being said, it'll work itself out in a while but it's just yet another bad decision that takes time and money to be fixed.

Why? My mother has called everything since the original NES a "Nintendo". Branding only really matters to the people who care enough about it. I'm pretty confident that anyone confused by "Wii U" would have been confused by any other name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xavier434 posted:

I think some of you are not giving the masses enough credit. Most people are accustomed to Googling now and many have the internet in their pocket at all times. The average joe might not be as good at looking up and finding information as many of us in this thread are, but they are good enough.

There are also the kids to consider. They figure this stuff out and tell their parents because they want it.

It's really not that hard to conclude that consumers could be confused, especially when the same thing initially happened with the 3DS and its inability to distinguish itself from the original DS when it first came out. That's since been resolved but it's the chance you take when you carry over branding and make a minute change to it. Nintendo was smart to keep the Wii name since it's basically a household name at this point but they're gonna face an uphill battle with convincing consumers it's worth replacing their Wiis with, which have more than likely been gathering dust for months (years?) now.

It's encouraging to see the initial stock sell through but that's usually the case for any new console. Whether or not they can keep the momentum going into next quarter will be interesting to see.

• Locked thread