Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah, it's in the white book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
^^ refresh my memory? He was early to publicly declare for the Dark One but this field trip is new to me.

The only one of those I'm not familiar with is the RPG.

As far as keeping track of interviews is concerned, it's simple. Let a more dedicated fan do it for you.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 5, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

api call girl posted:

Or her either, considering she's one of the 3 women on the metaphorical boat, and around Rand's funeral bier.

Yeah, but that boat was the Titanic, powered by the first steam engine from Rand's school.

The cart without horses was obviously a reciprocating piston steam engine, same as the Titanic had (though it also had a turbine.)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am getting to the end of Winter's Heart now and I figured this time I'd actually read Crossroads of Twilight (instead of just a summary). Looks like that books is so bad Amazon refuse to have it in the Kindle store. Guess this means I'll just reread the important things about it on the internet.

It's kinda sad seeing how the books get worse and worse after Fires of Heaven. Winter's Heart isn't even the worst yet with it not having much of the Perrin/Fayle story.

Edit: Just checked, it's available for US, but not for EU.

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 5, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tahirovic posted:

I am getting to the end of Winter's Heart now and I figured this time I'd actually read Crossroads of Twilight (instead of just a summary). Looks like that books is so bad Amazon refuse to have it in the Kindle store. Guess this means I'll just reread the important things about it on the internet.

It's kinda sad seeing how the books get worse and worse after Fires of Heaven. Winter's Heart isn't even the worst yet with it not having much of the Perrin/Fayle story.

I just checked and it is most definitely in the Kindle Store. Just read it, the internet has greatly exaggerated the supposed awfulness of it by astronomic proportions over the years, and it really does hold up much better when you are doing a back to back read through.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

The Lord Bude posted:

I just checked and it is most definitely in the Kindle Store. Just read it, the internet has greatly exaggerated the supposed awfulness of it by astronomic proportions over the years, and it really does hold up much better when you are doing a back to back read through.

Speaking as someone who read the series for the first time last year, it's pretty loving bad. The two pages meticulously detailing the process of washing silk went over the line for me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Speaking as someone who read the series for the first time last year, it's pretty loving bad. The two pages meticulously detailing the process of washing silk went over the line for me.

I love those little details about the series, it's what makes the world building so much better than most other fantasy series.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I also love little details that contribute to the feeling of a living world, but not when they're goddamned boring like that was. I know that they're washing silk and it's a long, repetitive process; I neither need nor want to read a painfully detailed description that brings an already slow-paced book to a grinding halt for two entire pages.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

The Lord Bude posted:

I love those little details about the series, it's what makes the world building so much better than most other fantasy series.

Those don't contribute to the "world" though. It's just mundane poo poo that everyone does, we really don't need to know about it. Just a mention would be fine, maybe even a paragraph if you really want, but not entire pages/chapters.

Crossroads is pretty bad, and I love the series quite a bit. It just really bogs down the story and doesn't present much new material. There is some political stuff happening, but not enough for a 700 page book.

Luckily, KoD and beyond pick the books back up in a big way. The "not so bad on a reread" is more to do with the follow-up books being fantastic rather than CoT not being terrible.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We will have this argument at least 4 more times before the last book is out...
:emo:

That said, on its own, COT sucks major loving balls. But if you combine it with KOD and pretend its one big mega huge book, then it kicks loving rear end. I'm still convinced that both of those books could have been trimmed and combined into one, and it would have worked out just fine.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cartoon Man posted:

We will have this argument at least 4 more times before the last book is out...
:emo:

That said, on its own, COT sucks major loving balls. But if you combine it with KOD and pretend its one big mega huge book, then it kicks loving rear end. I'm still convinced that both of those books could have been trimmed and combined into one, and it would have worked out just fine.

I can see what you are saying, but it sounds kind of like you are saying that if you have a tasteless stale cracker you can eat it with a delicious piece of cheese and have an awesome snack and using it to try and sing the praises of the cracker while it's the cheese doing all the work and you could just enjoy the cheese on its own and be just as satisfied. Man, I'm starving

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Edit: Wrong thread!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well, I'm on book 10 of my audiobook relisten (taken most of this year to do!) - was this the book that had a chapter with elayne taking a bath and recapping the entire andoran political scene?

I hope not, I hope it was in book 9 and I just fell asleep through it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I find it funny, for all the page space spent on the Andoran political scene it ends with Demandred burning down Caemlyn and butchering (almost) all the stupid fucks inside.

Go team shadow, you can still finish the job :allears:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 6, 2012

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
I think it'd be a interesting twist if the Dark One ended up winning. 20+ year series, that'd be a hilarious gently caress you to the readers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

What's left in the run-up? Text release of Chapter 2?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Its either that, or they are going to announce the tour stops and dates. Brandon tweeted that TOR would be releasing that soon.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

Its either that, or they are going to announce the tour stops and dates. Brandon tweeted that TOR would be releasing that soon.

I bet it's the tour dates then. I'm going to have to drag myself to one of these if they're doing Chicago.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I wonder if they do Canada dates. That'd be pretty rad.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Antioch posted:

I wonder if they do Canada dates. That'd be pretty rad.

If not actually in Canada (which is likely) he will at least do a few dates in cities right at the border (Buffalo, etc).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think it just kind of hit home right now that the next and last book is out in <2 months. And I'm still in ACoS in my re-read.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Pimpmust posted:

I find it funny, for all the page space spent on the Andoran political scene it ends with Demandred burning down Caemlyn and butchering (almost) all the stupid fucks inside.

Go team shadow, you can still finish the job :allears:

One of the best things that could have been done with that clusterfuck of nonsense.

My Friend Radio
Nov 6, 2003
Clichéd
Looks like they're emailing out previews every day starting on the 26th. I'm torn. I feel like I already know more about the book than I like, given that I intend to read it all in a single sitting. Ideally, that'd be spoiler-free. But it's so tempting, and of course this thread's going to be full of speculation.

The solution is, all of you should shut up.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
Knife of Dreams came out a day or two before one of my finals. I'm really glad this isn't happening again.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
https://taverentees.com/threads/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=83

Holy poo poo that is the nerdiest and ugliest t-shirt I think i've ever seen. I need to get one.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Affi posted:

https://taverentees.com/threads/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=83

Holy poo poo that is the nerdiest and ugliest t-shirt I think i've ever seen. I need to get one.

Protection from vagina (100%)

Seriously, that's terrible.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

AlternateAccount posted:

Protection from vagina (100%)

Seriously, that's terrible.

Looks like it should be sold as birth control

Who am I kidding I'd still wear it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I would probably ironically wear the Tai'shar Manetheren or Mat's bloody buttered onions ones. This is too terrible to even ironically wear.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They are all just so actively, irredeemably bad. It makes the paranoid DONT STEAL MY ART watermarks all over everything just laughable.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

The Tai'shar Manetheren one is actually pretty good.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
All of these shirts suck but oh would I wear one.

Also I'm starting my reread and I am finding it super hard to slog through them all again. I've reread them so many times at this point but I really want to get through before the last one comes out. I gotta finish strong!

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
I was thinking about Jain Farstrider, and that led me to a couple of thoughts.

First, there were several hints that suggested he was caught by evil people and sent back into the world for an evil purpose. His hands were broken (i.e., he was obviously tortured by somebody), his memory was full of holes (like someone who was extensively or poorly Compelled), and in EOTW, Ishamael gloats that he "painted [Farstrider] like a fool and sent him to the Ogier, thinking he was free of me". In addition, there's a scene where Sammael goes to visit Graendal at her palace in Arad Doman - he sees all her pretty-faced servants, plus some weathered old guy who seems completely out of place. Later, we see a weathered old guy spying on Carridin's house in Ebou Dar (Carridin who worked for Sammael), and even later Jain is in Ebou Dar and attaches himself to Mat's party.

So it seems pretty likely to me that Jain was compelled at least twice - once by Ishamael, shortly after the Aiel War, and again by Graendal, in LOC or thereabouts. But compelled to do what? To what end? After he was released by Ishamael, he (probably) was the guy who staggered to Stedding Shangtai, warned them about the Eye of the World, and then staggered off. So he was there to lay the bait for Rand to come try and tap the Eye... but what else? Could he tie into the whole "Loial's mom is a Darkfriend" theory? Or perhaps she's just a useful idiot, and his information was designed to start the whole "abandon the humans instead of fighting alongside them" ball rolling. And then (ignoring the ~20 years he spent off-camera), what did Graendal compel him to do? I assume he was the old man in her palace, and the old man spying on Sammael's lackey, but was Jain also involved in some kind of plot against Mat? That seems like a pretty good plan to me - smuggle a Manchurian Candidate into Mat's inner circle, and then wreak some sort of havoc.

Except, Jain nobly volunteered to rescue Moiraine, and nobly volunteered to stay behind and fight them off. Mat and Thom assume that he dies off-camera... but what if he doesn't? What if he's been Compelled to neutralize/make allies of the Finns, just like he did with the Ogier? It doesn't have to be that narrative, it could be something else. Or it could even be "RJ planted those seeds, but never got around to sprouting them, and we had to compress Jain's arc to finish the books." But it seems to me like his character narrative demands more closure.

The second thought is more of a question - Tigraine went to the Waste because an Aes Sedai had a Foretelling that "the fate of the world" depended on it. Obviously it did, because that's how baby Rand was born. But the Aes Sedai also advised Tigraine's brother Luc to go to the Blight, to seek his glory. Was this based on a foretelling? Or was the Aes Sedai lying, and actually Black Ajah? (And if she was Black Ajah, why did she help out by telling Tigraine to go to the Waste - not to mention, she's the one who Foretold the Dragon's rebirth, and set Moiraine and Siuan on the path to find him.) What kind of glory did Luc get - was his glory "getting merged into a DragonBall Z character"? "Forcing Perrin to reach his full potential as a leader of men, and a Dreamer"? Or maybe something he does in Book 14? What's up with that?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The reading I had was that Jain was Compelled but managed to shake off the compulsion, much like Morgase. The way I read Ishamael's quote, that's Ishy "spinning" a loss -- "I meant to send him running to warn you!"

I think part of the point of Jain's arc, though, is that we're never going to find out his "full" story, at least not within the text of the novels. His story wove itself into the one we're hearing, but all we really get to see "on-screen" is that he got a noble death beyond the wild world's end, as it were -- he traveled everywhere in the world and out of it, which kinda fits.

I expect that's part of the point of Avienda's vision in the last book, too, and we'll probably get a lot more of that in the final volume -- there are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning! There are stories that go on well after these books, and stories that came before them, too. Jain's story wove into this one at its end, that's all.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 26, 2012

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Wow. Its hard to believe that this series came out the year before I was born, and is just now finishing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Tor just announced the signing tour. Closest one to me is going to be in Skokie, IL, which is like an hour 15 drive for me. I might have to do this. Harriet's going to be there as well, so that's extra worthwhile.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ponsonby Britt posted:

So it seems pretty likely to me that Jain was compelled at least twice - once by Ishamael, shortly after the Aiel War, and again by Graendal, in LOC or thereabouts. ...
Except, Jain nobly volunteered to rescue Moiraine, and nobly volunteered to stay behind and fight them off. Mat and Thom assume that he dies off-camera... but what if he doesn't? What if he's been Compelled to neutralize/make allies of the Finns, just like he did with the Ogier? It doesn't have to be that narrative, it could be something else. Or it could even be "RJ planted those seeds, but never got around to sprouting them, and we had to compress Jain's arc to finish the books." But it seems to me like his character narrative demands more closure.

I agree with Hieronymous Alloy that Jain's arc isn't supposed to be finished: it's a background story of fascinating complexity that only intersects the main story in a limited way. You get to find out only the vague sketch of his life story and his final end. I think everything that was supposed to be written about him was - the Tower of Ghengi scene was written by RJ, not Sanderson.

I don't think the old man in Graendal's palace is Jain. My interpretation of his arc is basically that he attempted to visit Shayol Ghul. There, he was captured by Ishmael in the same way the Aiel channelers who try to slay the Dark One. Here, there's a gap that can only ever be filled through interpretation: I think he eventually managed to shake the compulsion and escape. He wasn't intended to live, and only survived by managing to get to the stedding, where the block on the Power allowed him to recover and shake off the rest of what Ishmael did to him.

Jain traveled to Finnland because, well, it's what he does: it's a place he never visited and nobody else ever has. And he volunteered to stay behind because he's ultimately filled with regrets: he's consumed over his guilt over his wife dying without him. He was used by Ishmael, and he's guilty over it. What exactly was done to him - and what he did - I don't think we'll ever find out. I think he was pumped for information and used as used as a tool of the shadow: he'd have made a tremendously useful agent while compelled.

I don't think he was the old man in Grendal's palace though.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I always thought the old man in Graendal's palace was King Alsalam of Arad Doman. Graendal herself even said she had the king and he wasn't pretty enough to be one of her "pets".

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
But King Alsalam is alive and nobody in that palace survived.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Just because he was there in book 4 (or 5? I dunno they all blend together in the massive reread) doesn't mean Graendal kept him there forever.

e: just as a side note, reading WoT and working retail during Black Friday weekend leads to some seriously weird dreams. Last night it was full-on crazy Rand loving up the store I work at with the power- glitter-crusted craters everywhere.

Marchegiana fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

evilweasel posted:

I agree with Hieronymous Alloy that Jain's arc isn't supposed to be finished: it's a background story of fascinating complexity that only intersects the main story in a limited way. You get to find out only the vague sketch of his life story and his final end. I think everything that was supposed to be written about him was - the Tower of Ghengi scene was written by RJ, not Sanderson.

I don't think the old man in Graendal's palace is Jain. My interpretation of his arc is basically that he attempted to visit Shayol Ghul. There, he was captured by Ishmael in the same way the Aiel channelers who try to slay the Dark One. Here, there's a gap that can only ever be filled through interpretation: I think he eventually managed to shake the compulsion and escape. He wasn't intended to live, and only survived by managing to get to the stedding, where the block on the Power allowed him to recover and shake off the rest of what Ishmael did to him.

Jain traveled to Finnland because, well, it's what he does: it's a place he never visited and nobody else ever has. And he volunteered to stay behind because he's ultimately filled with regrets: he's consumed over his guilt over his wife dying without him. He was used by Ishmael, and he's guilty over it. What exactly was done to him - and what he did - I don't think we'll ever find out. I think he was pumped for information and used as used as a tool of the shadow: he'd have made a tremendously useful agent while compelled.

I don't think he was the old man in Grendal's palace though.

He obviously had something to do with Malkier as well, or perhaps the Malkieri knew he was being used as a tool. Remember his last words?

"If you ever meet a Malkier, tell him Jain Farstrider died clean."

• Locked thread