Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Russad posted:

Branding only really matters to the people who care enough about it.

That is so wrong I don't even know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I read that Wiis are actually the number one platform for Netflix streaming, with more people streaming than on Xbox or even PC. It wasn't even close. Enough people don't care at all that it's sd. So they are still being used.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

with more people streaming than on Xbox

This should come as a shock to no one since you have to pay for Live to use Netflix on 360.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is there any way at all Microsoft will get away with paid multiplayer and streaming next time, by the way, with Sony and Nintendo offering it for free? Although so far matchmaking with friends on Wiiu is a laborious process. Tekken and Sonic I'm talking about you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

Is there any way at all Microsoft will get away with paid multiplayer and streaming next time, by the way, with Sony and Nintendo offering it for free? Although so far matchmaking with friends on Wiiu is a laborious process. Tekken and Sonic I'm talking about you.

Yes, they have their user base used to it. Of course they will get away with it. I wont buy it, all things being equal between 720 ps4 next gen. I wont get the one that requires a month check to play my drat console.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

greatn posted:

I read that Wiis are actually the number one platform for Netflix streaming, with more people streaming than on Xbox or even PC. It wasn't even close. Enough people don't care at all that it's sd. So they are still being used.

Wow, really? I used it fairly regularly, but that's because I don't own any HD smart-devices :smith:.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Louisgod posted:

It's encouraging to see the initial stock sell through but that's usually the case for any new console. Whether or not they can keep the momentum going into next quarter will be interesting to see.

I think it will - the lure of a new Mario game (regardless of how similar it might be to the other recent games) is enough to push systems into a huge variety of households for years. Even at $40 and $50 Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii are still huge sellers and the DS versions of both games still sell well. Nintendo is amazingly good at putting out perennial titles that may not get the huge one-day sales booms of a CoD or Halo but will get steady 30-50k sales weeks for years.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

greatn posted:

Is there any way at all Microsoft will get away with paid multiplayer and streaming next time, by the way, with Sony and Nintendo offering it for free?

The precedent has been set. XBox Live Gold is here to stay.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm wondering if a portion of the gaming population is like me and will stick with the U when the next gen consoles come out and wait for the lower price slim edition of said consoles a couple years later.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^This is my plan as well, I'll wait at least a year for the console war first shots to be fired and see the lay of the land, then not buy an xbox because gently caress subscriptions. But hey the next Christmas season after launch is when that one game you want will be bundled with the system anyway!

For Wii streaming, take this totally scientific and not at all anecdotal evidence. My ps3 (and now WiiU) are set up in my living room on my hdtv. In the garage I have an old 27" sdtv. To it is hooked an N64 and a Wii. So there I have 3 gen of Nintendo games in nostalgia mode. In reality any time of the day you can find one of my kids back there watching something on netflix. So though my ps3 is my main hd netflix watching device, my Wii gets used probably x5 times more often. Even now that I have a WiiU my Wii will get used 5x more often for streaming netflix. Wonder how Nintendo will make sense of that.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 28, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

greatn posted:

I'm wondering if a portion of the gaming population is like me and will stick with the U when the next gen consoles come out and wait for the lower price slim edition of said consoles a couple years later.

Meh, not me. The next XBox will probably be a day one purchase for me. I don't expect the Wii U to be my main console system, even during 2013. Well, I guess it would be, but I'm still buying all my games on PC first anyways.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CubsWoo posted:

I think it will - the lure of a new Mario game (regardless of how similar it might be to the other recent games) is enough to push systems into a huge variety of households for years. Even at $40 and $50 Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii are still huge sellers and the DS versions of both games still sell well. Nintendo is amazingly good at putting out perennial titles that may not get the huge one-day sales booms of a CoD or Halo but will get steady 30-50k sales weeks for years.

I think it'll do consistently well in Japan thanks to DQX, MH3 and NSMBU (TRIFECTAAA) but am not fully convinced it'll do as well in the States since Nintendo is notorious for either delaying their big games or trickling the releases out over months. I could definitely be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if sales slowed going into Q4.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I keep seeing this skygiants crap all over the place, Pokemon is still a thing right? Like they are going to have to release one for the Wii U as the controller works perfectly with it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

socialsecurity posted:

So I keep seeing this skygiants crap all over the place, Pokemon is still a thing right? Like they are going to have to release one for the Wii U as the controller works perfectly with it.

Something like Pokemon Stadium? Of course! Something like actual Pokemon? Dont hold your breath.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Revol posted:

Meh, not me. The next XBox will probably be a day one purchase for me. I don't expect the Wii U to be my main console system, even during 2013. Well, I guess it would be, but I'm still buying all my games on PC first anyways.

Pcii-U is going to be the new Wii360/PSWii combo.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

socialsecurity posted:

Game Freak hates consoles and loves portables, so do not expect actual Pokemon games on the Wii U... maybe something like Pokemon Snap.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gutcruncher posted:

Something like Pokemon Stadium? Of course! Something like actual Pokemon? Dont hold your breath.

Yeah, for the cost and time of developing a full 3d Pokemon rpg on a console which will sell 10 million max, they could make three or four handheld ones that will each sell even more.

Though why game freak had to be the one to make it is beyond me. Nintendo owns the ip, do they not?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

zenintrude posted:

Game Freak hates consoles and loves portables, so do not expect actual Pokemon games on the Wii U... maybe something like Pokemon Snap.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Pokemon Snap announcement would get me to run out of the house RIGHT NOW to pick up a U.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Pokemon Snap announcement would get me to run out of the house RIGHT NOW to pick up a U.

Pokemon OH SNAP

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Same here. That first game was so much fun when I was 10, and I can only imagine what it would be like on the Wii U.

And I don't even like Pokemon any more.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Crowbear posted:

Oh god, I think that would singlehandedly justify my purchase of Wii U now and forever. Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't made one for the 3DS yet.

greatn posted:

Yeah, for the cost and time of developing a full 3d Pokemon rpg on a console which will sell 10 million max, they could make three or four handheld ones that will each sell even more.

Though why game freak had to be the one to make it is beyond me. Nintendo owns the ip, do they not?

Gamefreak doesn't make all of them. Genius Sonority made Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, which are both pretty cool games. Honestly, I'd rather see more games in that style than a "real" Pokemon game, if for no other reason than it was something that was honestly different than the usual.

Ganeen
Mar 3, 2004

I made this, isn't it offensive?
Goddamn, I hate Jews. All hiding in the moutains in Pakistan and shit.
I'm wondering if I have a defective Wii U.

Every time that I have to go between a channel (settings, internet, etc.) and the main menu, it takes 5+ minutes to load. The background music continues to play but it just hangs there FOREVER and then finally loads.

There is no way this is normal, but have any of you heard anything about this?

P.S. The Wii mode works wonderfully fast.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah they haven't said it but the reason is pretty obvious, there's no "real" pokemon game on a console because pokemon is a huge handheld seller, and having all the RPG and adventure elements of the handheld games with the beautiful rendering of a proper console, all-in-one, will obsolete the handheld titles.

That said, I really hope there's another pokemon stadium, and I hope it's actually good and not the garbage that was on the Wii. You could only use like 30 pokemon total and most of them had terrible movesets or weren't even fully evolved, and tons of the game's content was locked away for DS owners only.

The N64 pokemon stadiums had 99% of the pokemon available for rent with solid movesets, had tons to do (plus the loving fun minigames), and the only thing saved for the gameboy owners was playing with your own pokemon and Mewtwo.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 28, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ganeen posted:

I'm wondering if I have a defective Wii U.

Every time that I have to go between a channel (settings, internet, etc.) and the main menu, it takes 5+ minutes to load. The background music continues to play but it just hangs there FOREVER and then finally loads.

There is no way this is normal, but have any of you heard anything about this?

P.S. The Wii mode works wonderfully fast.

Sounds wrong. My load times between windows is about 10-15 seconds. Which is still frustyratingly long dont get me wrong, but 5 minutes if it not a hyperbole is very wrong.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
One day we will see a Pokemon Online MMO but there's no need for nintendo to rush it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

greatn posted:

But with the NFC chip in the Gamepad and the popularity of Skylanders, they could justifiably try to introduce the Pokemon series to consoles. I'm not into that whole card/figurine thing, but just having the Pokedex on the Gamepad would be sick. And if N is too busy with other projects, then they should give the it to Monolith :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

OMG :circlefap: Pokemon little figures skyland style! Buy how do you evolve them? But the next one up? Who cares, shut up. Take my money.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Rake Arms posted:

Wow, really? I used it fairly regularly, but that's because I don't own any HD smart-devices :smith:.
The Wii Netflix app is really easy to use for even non-gamers. You don't have to fiddle with a Dualshock to make it work or adjust for overscan, and watching it on a TV in a living room is more comfortable than sitting at a computer desk.

It may be worth noting of course that all the time the Wii is streaming Netflix people aren't actually using it for games.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rake Arms posted:

But with the NFC chip in the Gamepad and the popularity of Skylanders, they could justifiably try to introduce the Pokemon series to consoles. I'm not into that whole card/figurine thing, but just having the Pokedex on the Gamepad would be sick. And if N is too busy with other projects, then they should give the it to Monolith :colbert:

Xenomon Saga :science:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bombadilillo posted:

OMG :circlefap: Pokemon little figures skyland style! Buy how do you evolve them? But the next one up? Who cares, shut up. Take my money.

NO. Wouldn't do it. gently caress that pay-to-play poo poo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wouldn't mind some kind of Eye of Judgment-esque card implementation system, although it'd probably get busted pretty fast if EoJ was any indication.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Louisgod posted:

It's really not that hard to conclude that consumers could be confused, especially when the same thing initially happened with the 3DS and its inability to distinguish itself from the original DS when it first came out. That's since been resolved but it's the chance you take when you carry over branding and make a minute change to it. Nintendo was smart to keep the Wii name since it's basically a household name at this point but they're gonna face an uphill battle with convincing consumers it's worth replacing their Wiis with, which have more than likely been gathering dust for months (years?) now.

It's encouraging to see the initial stock sell through but that's usually the case for any new console. Whether or not they can keep the momentum going into next quarter will be interesting to see.

The biggest problem perceptionwise the WiiU is going to face, IMO, is the HUGE number of people that were never going to buy the next system no matter how good it is. It kind of reminds me of back when the original brick Gameboy came out. Literally every kid AND their parent that I knew had one. The parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc that bought the thing bought it for Tetris. They didn't give a rats rear end about anything else, and never had any intention of buying/using anything else on it. The Wii sold to so many soccer moms, grandparents, nursing homes, huge numbers of people that didn't care about the system for anything more than Wii Sports/Fit, and were never going to care enough to pick up another system, that no matter how well it sells to gamers, and some casuals, it'll never have a hope in hell of selling the same numbers again. The DS/3DS has a similar problem because of the huge number of the DSs that sold to casuals who wanted it for the big Brain Training fad, never got anything else for it, and don't care enough to move on to the next system when it released. It's a shame that no one will take those inflated numbers into account.

Then again people keep talking about shoddy launch ports as examples of the lack of hardware power with the system, completely forgetting about the lovely ports that also accompanied the launch of the 360 like Gun, the first Madden it got, Burnout Revenge, etc, all of which had lovely frame rates compared to the oXbox version, cut features, janky visuals, and so on. Then again every time a Playstation comes out, everyone harps on how it's not as powerful, too hard to program for, and no one is going to support it too... So much stupid knee jerk noise every time a new system launches, it makes it hard to actually find any genuinely well thought out critical thinking.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
Hey, I know this is the Wii-U thread, but I'm cross-posting this from the 3DS thread because this is too drat cool to pass up:

Anyone who has New Super Mario Bros 2 for the 3DS, go download the FREE Classics Pack for Coin Rush right now!

It is free until January, and it kicks rear end! It is the best part of the whole game in my book. Basically they took stuff from SMB1 and SMB3 for NES and made them kickass Coin Rush levels.

I just played it for the first time, huge drat grin on my face. Stuff will surprise you. Just go play it blind, don't go look at a Youtube video or listen to a detailed runthrough, just play it and smile! It was way better than anticipated and FREE!

(It's better than any levels they put in the regular game in my book)

It is just THAT good. I know some of you might have let your 3DS gather dust now that you're playing Wii-U, but don't miss this. Temporarily free and awesome!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
^^^ Yes, the NSMB2 levels are amazing. Just really fun overall, go play it!

The Wii U's killer app might very well be that "it keeps the drat kids off the TV all the time" with the Gamepad Support, that's been the biggest selling point for a lot of people.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

Astro7x posted:

^^^ Yes, the NSMB2 levels are amazing. Just really fun overall, go play it!

The Wii U's killer app might very well be that "it keeps the drat kids off the TV all the time" with the Gamepad Support, that's been the biggest selling point for a lot of people.

My boss who isn't even a gamer wants two systems for precisely this reason. It will sell fuckloads.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I 100% agree with the idea that Wii U is not gonna sell nearly as well as the Wii did. The Wii U hype isnt really as big in the casual market, and thats why I think the Wii mini exists. Nintendo wants to maintain the casual market as much as physically possible.

...but if TVii isn't lovely and turns into a really popular feature all bets are off and the Wii U could be the next huge thing.

Either way Nintendo will do fine, they need to sell exactly 1 game for the system to turn a profit.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Wii U is probably not going to sell as well as the Wii, but it is still selling pretty well in general at least for now during the 1st week after launch.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/wii-u-first-week-sales-lag-original-wii-but-better-than-xbox-360-ps3/

Wii: 600k units
PS2: 500k units (first day)
Wii U: 400k units
360: 326k units
PS3: 197k units

I really don't think that there is a lack of enthusiasm for it like some are claiming. It just isn't wildly high like the Wii was.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Xavier434 posted:

The Wii U is probably not going to sell as well as the Wii, but it is still selling pretty well in general at least for now during the 1st week after launch.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/wii-u-first-week-sales-lag-original-wii-but-better-than-xbox-360-ps3/

Wii: 600k units
PS2: 500k units (first day)
Wii U: 400k units
360: 326k units
PS3: 197k units

I really don't think that there is a lack of enthusiasm for it like some are claiming. It just isn't wildly high like the Wii was.

How does that work? According to a bunch of places, Microsoft sold something like 750k 360s during the week:

http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-360-sales-rocket-to-750000-in-us-for-week-of-black-friday-27258586/

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/xbox-360-owned-black-friday-weekend-microsoft-144883

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2012/11/27/microsoft-xbox-360-black-friday/1729819/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/11/28/black-friday-launch-week-xbox-360-sales-outnumber-wii-u-nearly-2-to-1/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-sells-750000-during-black-friday-week-6400656

http://news.cnet.com/8301-9020_3-57555073/xbox-360-sells-750000-units-during-black-friday-week/

I misread what you wrote...

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 28, 2012

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Those are sales during the Thanksgiving/Black Friday week, the same week that was the first of the WiiU.

His numbers are first week sales for the console. So, in its first week at retail, the 360 sold 326k units.

Now, you can't actually directly use first week sales numbers like that to try to gauge demand for the system just because system launches tend to be supply constrained. For example, Wii sold 600k units in its first week, but that was a situation where units were flying off store shelves as soon as they hit the store. Similarly, it was near impossible to find Xbox 360s soon after launch. On the other hand, the PS3 had a very soft launch, with there still being a number of unsold units sitting on store shelves after the initial rush.

The sales figures are still interesting, though, because they contextualize the stories of how a number of stores have WiiUs just sitting on store shelves available for the purchase. Without sales numbers like that, the retail availability could be the sign of a very weak launch or it could just be a sign that Nintendo figured out how to supply more than enough units to meet immediate demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xavier434 posted:

It is incredibly lukewarm in Canada and I'm surprised someone in the gaming journalism hasn't looked into ihahaha what am I saying gaming journalism is poo poo.

• Locked thread