Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

It's very possible. All you have to do is open each of the maps in SLADE3, then make a new .WAD file, copy the maps into it, and then rename them in whatever sequence you want to play them. You can even make a MAPINFO lump with proper level names and custom skies and music and whatever if you're playing with (G)ZDoom.
There was a DOS program that would let you pick wads from a list and it'd combine them automagically for a gameplay session. It didn't always work, but it worked often enough that it was drat useful. It even let you apply silly modifiers like randomizing objects!

I'm really surprised that no one's made another one since 1995.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a shot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is sort-of-related, but imagine Doom, top-down, procedurally-generated levels, and one-life.

Teleglitch

http://teleglitch.com/index.php?page=about

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is sort-of-related, but imagine Doom, top-down, procedurally-generated levels, and one-life.

Teleglitch

Holy moly, this looks awesome. I really like how your view opens up when you walk past doors and such.

Played the demo, its pretty neat but a little hard on the eyes. Didn't find a way to run in a window.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 26, 2012

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Teleglitch

Just played the demo. I thought it was cool but hard. It seemed like to even have a chance to not blow all of my ammo on those little annoying 4-legged things, I had to continually herd them down narrow corridors. At least until I figured out how powerful the melee attack was. Besides some enemies being hard to pick out from the background, it looks really cool.

Not sure it's worth the money for 10 levels though, even if they change each time.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Played the demo, its pretty neat but a little hard on the eyes. Didn't find a way to run in a window.

use the teleglitch_windowed.bat inside the folder.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Has anybody managed to get Requiem: Avenging Angel running on Windows 7? I've played dozens of PC games from that era on my system and this is the only one giving me trouble setting up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SparkTR posted:

Has anybody managed to get Requiem: Avenging Angel running on Windows 7? I've played dozens of PC games from that era on my system and this is the only one giving me trouble setting up.

I've tried in the past with no success.

It doesn't help that while Requiem is a win9x program, the patch for it is, for some reason, a 16-bit win3.1 program. :wtc:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Laziness. They had a patch program that worked at the time, and didn't feel the need to rewrite it, contrarily to their game engines.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Teleglitch

Take No Prisoners is an old Raven game that is similar and deserves some love, supports co-op too. MageSlayer is another one too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZ-6FXV-nY

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I found this site:
http://ian-albert.com/games/doom_2_maps/

Probably old news to many of you, but it is just a bunch of pictures of Doom 2 levels, from above (kinda at a 2.5D view)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I started working on a wad file welding utility for squashing levels from different wads together but doing it for anything but vanilla levels is a pain in the rear end as it would need to support WADINFO, DEH, and BEX lumps to always get level names right and there's like 4 WADINFO formats in the wild :downsgun:. Also maps that use custom flats and patches wouldn't work out either.

If anyone is still interested in a vanilla-only wad merger let me know and I'll finish it up (I have the wad file parsing and writing done, the rest is simple). It'll probably a command line program that reads a simple input file like this:
code:
MAP01:MAP01 FARTS.WAD
MAP01:MAP02 FARTS2.WAD

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Chinook posted:

I found this site:
http://ian-albert.com/games/doom_2_maps/

Probably old news to many of you, but it is just a bunch of pictures of Doom 2 levels, from above (kinda at a 2.5D view)

Oh man. A dream project of mine for the past few years has been an isometric, turn-based Doom-type thing, and this is making me jones hardcore for the ability to make that happen.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

spider wisdom posted:

Oh man. A dream project of mine for the past few years has been an isometric, turn-based Doom-type thing, and this is making me jones hardcore for the ability to make that happen.

I don't know about isometric but you know about DoomRL right?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Shadow Warrior is coming to iOS this year. Based off of this video, it looks like it controls great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cywy8OGXxHQ
At least its not being done by the fuckups who handled the Duke 3D port. Small mercies, I suppose.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

If anyone is still interested in a vanilla-only wad merger let me know and I'll finish it up (I have the wad file parsing and writing done, the rest is simple). It'll probably a command line program that reads a simple input file like this:
code:
MAP01:MAP01 FARTS.WAD
MAP01:MAP02 FARTS2.WAD

The syntax would make more sense, IMHO, this way:

code:
MAP01=FARTS.WAD:MAP01
MAP02=FARTS2.WAD:MAP01
Of course there are other problems to deal with, like conflicting resources, or use of hardcoded level effects (how to get a map like Dead Simple working in vanilla on a different slot than MAP07?).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just put up a bare bones ui where I can drag over a bunch of wad files and mark them to change levelslots. No need for mapinfo or whatever since I don't really pay attention to that. Have a checkbox for "strip custom textures and sounds" and it'll be perfect.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Here's an interesting museum piece: footage of the early Doom alpha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YTBTSsrqU

It's interesting to recognise the early map designs that would end up getting used in Doom, particularly Episode 2. For instance, that blue tech area in E2M7 started out as a 'base' where your fellow marines would hang out as part of a storyline.

EDIT: :laffo: at the early, cockpit-style HUD in the video preview.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 28, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jules sucks.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Im itching for some more doom lately after having played through the originals with brutal doom. Are there any graphically impressive wads for the more advanced engines out there? I already found stronghold to be really well presented with the extra graphical effects possible by engines like skulltag.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'd like to play through Doom doing all pistol starts. Is there any easy way to do this without just IDCLEV and restarting?

VVV:
Thanks. :) It makes nightmare a forced pistol start Ultraviolent. I wonder if I could just console in 'skill 2' to switch to HMP and it would stay that way? I'll check it out.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 28, 2012

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Chinook posted:

I'd like to play through Doom doing all pistol starts. Is there any easy way to do this without just IDCLEV and restarting?

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16481

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Jules sucks.
Tom is King.

Also, I noticed that there's a Doom Classic game available on the Playstation Store for PS3. It's billed as Doom 1 (with Thy Flesh Consumed), Doom 2 (including No Rest For The Living), Final Doom, and the Master Levels. I assume it's a straightforward port of the Xbox 360 versions. Am I right, or are there any horrible issues that ought to stop me from recommending it to people?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zero Star posted:

Here's an interesting museum piece: footage of the early Doom alpha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6YTBTSsrqU

It's interesting to recognise the early map designs that would end up getting used in Doom, particularly Episode 2. For instance, that blue tech area in E2M7 started out as a 'base' where your fellow marines would hang out as part of a storyline.

EDIT: :laffo: at the early, cockpit-style HUD in the video preview.

They are available for download if you want to check them out.

http://toastytech.com/dooma/index.html

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Im itching for some more doom lately after having played through the originals with brutal doom. Are there any graphically impressive wads for the more advanced engines out there? I already found stronghold to be really well presented with the extra graphical effects possible by engines like skulltag.

I thought Knee Deep in ZDoom was pretty impressive. It was a remake of the original campaign, much larger levels, more enemy variety, but still recognizable. It also uses a ton of the effects that have since found their way into zdoom, so there are some nice things and gimmicks to look at every now and then.

Right now I'm playing through the Beyond Reality wad that has been linked here some pages ago (thanks), and also really enjoying it. It has some new clever enemies, (some dumb ones too, those flying boxes are just ugly as hell) but all in all it's a refreshing slew of variety and not just reskins either.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Oenis posted:

I thought Knee Deep in ZDoom was pretty impressive. It was a remake of the original campaign, much larger levels, more enemy variety, but still recognizable. It also uses a ton of the effects that have since found their way into zdoom, so there are some nice things and gimmicks to look at every now and then.

Right now I'm playing through the Beyond Reality wad that has been linked here some pages ago (thanks), and also really enjoying it. It has some new clever enemies, (some dumb ones too, those flying boxes are just ugly as hell) but all in all it's a refreshing slew of variety and not just reskins either.

Seconding KDiZD. gently caress the haters, it's amazing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zero Star posted:

Tom is King.

Also, I noticed that there's a Doom Classic game available on the Playstation Store for PS3. It's billed as Doom 1 (with Thy Flesh Consumed), Doom 2 (including No Rest For The Living), Final Doom, and the Master Levels. I assume it's a straightforward port of the Xbox 360 versions. Am I right, or are there any horrible issues that ought to stop me from recommending it to people?

Actually, it's better than the Xbox 360 version. First, it does have all 21 Master Levels (though they're arranged as an episode, with the secret level from TEETH.WAD turned into the "boss level"), which is the first time this happens on a console. (PSX Final Doom had only 13 of the 21 levels; and the first Xbox port with the ML had only 18 of them).

Secondly, from what I've heard, the menus don't lag like they do in the BFG edition.

Finally, apparently (not 100% sure about this), they use MUS2MIDI instead of external MIDI files like the XBLA version. This does lead to problems in TNT MAP02, where the tune is famous for being awful because there are wrong volume values.

(Note: If the Doom Wiki links don't work, try again several hours later. drat Mancubus.net servers crap out constantly.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

with the secret level from TEETH.WAD turned into the "boss level"

:stare:

Well, good luck finishing that one

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The Ultimate Torment and Torture and Ultimate Simplicity are both really impressive looking. I'm not sure how well Brutal Doom will work with UTNT though.

I started playing Beyond Reality and seriously those monsters :psyduck: that pole-head-thing...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Seconding KDiZD. gently caress the haters, it's amazing.

I found it too sprawling. Just because you CAN make a super huge map with tons of switches and keycarded doors and teleporters doesn't mean you should. The automap isn't really up to task for that kind of thing.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I found it too sprawling. Just because you CAN make a super huge map with tons of switches and keycarded doors and teleporters doesn't mean you should. The automap isn't really up to task for that kind of thing.

This is a legitimate complaint. My comment was directed more towards the groundswell of nebulous "It isn't Doom-like / It uses bestiary monsters / etc" complains it seemed to garner the last time it was brought up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WHOIS John Galt posted:

This is a legitimate complaint. My comment was directed more towards the groundswell of nebulous "It isn't Doom-like / It uses bestiary monsters / etc" complains it seemed to garner the last time it was brought up.

I've noticed there's a demographic in the Doom community that gets so angry when people build maps using, for example, GZDoom features. Like it's an affront to the entire concept of Doom. I've never understood this.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've noticed there's a demographic in the Doom community that gets so angry when people build maps using, for example, GZDoom features. Like it's an affront to the entire concept of Doom. I've never understood this.
Every game's fanbase has its share of grognards. These people are the reason Chocolate Doom exists.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doomworld seems to do this A LOT. I was searching Google for something only tangentially related some days ago and stumbled upon a thread about Brutal Doom which was essentially a lot of complaining that it was "too modern" with people making comparisons to Call of Duty because the rifle has ironsights and poo poo. Also a guy compared my voice acting unfavorably to something from a lovely B-movie and called me "some guy trying to sound tough into his mic in his bedroom" and that kind of upset me. (Especially considering things that happened earlier that night regarding my dreams of acting, but that's neither here nor there.)

I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but so much of it was just "wah wah my pure unsoiled Doom experience!!" :qq:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wouldn't worry too much about it, CTD. I think the biggest issue with the voice acting in Brutal Doom is that most people don't understand the reference to the Doom comic or that a Doom comic even exists. I'm sure plenty of people jumped to the conclusion that they were just some wacky rear end poo poo some mod developer came up with. The specific complaints mentioned (ironsights and the voice acting) are both optional anyways, I wonder if an optional pistol Brutal Doom would help out a bit. The biggest draw to Brutal Doom for me is the variety in kill animations, enemy attacks and things of that nature, although I personally love the assault rifle and voice acting.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 29, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't really have a preference for either style of map. Sometimes old-school romps are fun, other times it feels like you've seen it all before.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

I think brutal doom is totally fine as a gimmick joke wad like simpsons doom or something but when people treat it like it's the only way to play the game it seems really weird.

e:typo

x!te bike fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 29, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

x!te bike posted:

I think burtal doom is totally fine as a gimmick joke wad like simpsons doom or something but when people treat it like it's the only way to play the game it seems really weird.

I went through a pretty extensive phase where I legitimately found it more fun than the base game. I don't know why I got bored of it, to be honest.

Does anyone have those wads that stitch together all of the Doom levels and all of the Doom 2 levels? There was one for each, right?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Once you've seen most of what it has to offer it starts to get old, since the balance changes overall aren't that great.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I went through a pretty extensive phase where I legitimately found it more fun than the base game. I don't know why I got bored of it, to be honest.

Does anyone have those wads that stitch together all of the Doom levels and all of the Doom 2 levels? There was one for each, right?

I don't know of a Doom 1 one, but for Doom 2 there is Memorial by the wonderful Eternal: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/memorial.zip note that it only really works in prboom+ due to a strange bug in zdoom based ports where your bullets cease to work :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I didn't care much for how the pistol-start enforcer linked earlier worked (new difficulty, UV only, etc) and it also doesn't seem to work right for brutal doom so I made these:

riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

riflestart is the brutal doom one of course. These don't affect any particular difficulty level, they just reset your inventory when a level starts. Just add them and goooo :black101:

Note: These use ACS and only work in zdoomish ports as far as I know.