Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Had my first "gig" outside my living room last Saturday at a house party:
Played from 8:45 to 10 as the opener. hosed up a LOT, in particular when I'd put on a good song and people danced. I thought "oh man, time to be awesome" and made the worst transitions instead. However, everyone knew it was my first time and were super cool about it.
At around 11:30, I was informed that the DJ that was supposed to play at midnight didn't show up, and that I was welcome to go again. Oh my!

My 2nd go was much better. The DJ that went 11-midnight (who was really good) came and gave me a high-five after I managed to string 4 songs in a row without loving up and building up to a great vibe with about 10 people dancing (there were about 25 people at the party). That felt good.

Lessons learned:
- Don't get fancy when people are dancing, let the tracks do the work.
- Being nervous as poo poo means you're doing something cool.
- OMG I want to do this again.

Best part: a guy said he's throwing a NYE party, and wants me to DJ because he loved the songs I chose to play. So, I guess I'll be playing again then! :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Alfajor posted:

Had my first "gig" outside my living room last Saturday at a house party:

hell yeah dude sounds posi

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Grabbed a used Audio 6 from Amazon for $260. Can't wait. Guess I'll throw together a PC while I wait for it to arrive.

E: Apparently it was never "in-stock." Sucks. I'm not willing to pay much more than $250 for what amounts to a four-channel sound card.

E2: I guess Amazon felt bad so I got a brand new copy for $270. Not bad!

revmoo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 27, 2012

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Batu posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for mixers that aren't too pricy? Recently got two turntables from a friend so I'm looking for something that I can use to start to play with them but I'm also an eternally broke college student.

There's a lot of expensive recommendations in this thread. There is absolutely no reason to spend over $200 on your first mixer, as long as you're ok missing out on the cheesey effects/special features. I used a Denon DN-X100 for years before I bought a Pioneer mixer. There's one on ebay for $135 right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DN-X100-DN-X100-DN-X100-DJ-Mixer-2-channel-/310506701736?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item484ba443a8

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Hey guys who wants to see Kaskade for NYE?

http://www.wantickets.com/Events/116770/Kaskade-New-Year-s-Eve-STORY-Premium-Open-Bar-9PM-Midnight/

quote:

Kaskade - New Year's Eve – STORY - Premium Open Bar 9PM-Midnight

DJ Booth VIP for 50

•Includes all the benefits of General Admission

•Includes 50 VIP Admission Tickets

•Includes 8 Premium Vodka Magnum & 12 Dom Perignon Luminus Magnum

•Party Favors

•Does NOT include Tax or Gratuity, this will be charged onsite

$100,000.00
+ $6,000.00 Service Charge

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

chrix posted:

There's a lot of expensive recommendations in this thread. There is absolutely no reason to spend over $200 on your first mixer, as long as you're ok missing out on the cheesey effects/special features. I used a Denon DN-X100 for years before I bought a Pioneer mixer. There's one on ebay for $135 right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DN-X100-DN-X100-DN-X100-DJ-Mixer-2-channel-/310506701736?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item484ba443a8

i would almost agree, and it depends on what the dude is trying to do here, but the dnx 100 has a crossfader lag problem. even though its been "fixed" its not.

I had a dnx 1500 and it had the updated firmware but still had a lag. it was a great overall mixer you couldnt scratch good with it.

So, in other words, maybe $135 isnt to bad for a decent minus one thing mixer.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

who buys 50 tickets and 20 bottles?

Rich people.

I have been at a table whose tab was $30K+, and they didn't bat an eyelash. NYE is crazy expensive no matter where you go.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Old Man Pants posted:

who buys 50 tickets and 20 bottles?

Rich people.

I have been at a table whose tab was $30K+, and they didn't bat an eyelash. NYE is crazy expensive no matter where you go.

More likely corporations taking clients out. Grab your key clients and/or decision makers, make them happy with you. 50 people seems a bit too large a thing for rich people entourages.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I'm selling an NS7 if anyone is interested:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518496

sounko
Sep 29, 2004
Hey all,

I know there was some talk about speakers a few pages back

After blowing a cheap pair of monitors at a house party I decided to buy a pair of powered speakers

I was pretty set on QSC K series, but after months of research, there were just so many different opinions, I decided to just pop into a retail store who sold Yamaha/JBL powered speakers.

Spur of the moment I went with the DXR8 because I thought the sound would be fine for home and they'd be really portable for mates parties.

1 month later I decided I really didn't like them, went back to the store and tested both the DSR112 and DXR12

The few guys in the store agreed with me that the DXR12 sounded much crisper (Nexo help maybe?).

Once I got the speakers home I couldn't believe the difference. Night and Day. The 8" speakers kind of make you cringe a little bit. The 12" really put a smile on your face. I'm sure it's exactly the same for QSC. You quickly get used to the extra size too.

Hope this may help anyone in the market for portable powered speakers.

Cheers

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Did you get to test out the EV ELX115Ps? I'm looking for speakers and I've narrowed it down to either the EVs or the Yamahas. I like how crisp the Yamahas sound, but I found the EVs to have more low end compared to the Yamahas.

sounko
Sep 29, 2004
No I didn't sorry, but I've read a lot of praise for EV ELX115Ps - tough choice

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just got my traktor pro 2 setup going last night. Holy poo poo! I was able to get it hooked up and running without a manual and was tearing it up within minutes. What an amazing product. Now I need to break the habit of removing the timecode record after each mix.

One question though, how do you expand the loop box so that its wider?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

revmoo posted:

One question though, how do you expand the loop box so that its wider?

You mean visually increase the loop over the waveform? IE, increase the loop lenght? There's a row of numbers underneath that shows up if you set your deck size to either full or advanced in the preferences/deck layout menu. Make sure your tracks are properly gridded though, so that the beat sized 'ticks' in Traktor match up to the song. The software automatically does this for you pretty well these days.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
No, how do I make the box take up more space than just three squares on the screen?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
UI elements in Traktor don't scale, four decks is really cramped on my 13" MBP for instance :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
...wow. Just wow. That's loving retarded.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Are you running it fullscreen at least?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Actually I figured it out, the default layout just shows it with three spaces. I switched and now it gives me 6 which is fine.

E: Is the Traktor Kontrol X1 as amazing as it looks? I think I want to get one so I can remove the mouse/keyboard from my setup.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 3, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Whoop Whoop. I love this setup. I have a four speaker setup, two high and two low, and it sounds incredible.

Also the tabletop is custom. I'm getting table legs for it shortly.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

revmoo posted:

E: Is the Traktor Kontrol X1 as amazing as it looks? I think I want to get one so I can remove the mouse/keyboard from my setup.

I really like mine.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

oops, wrong thread. I guess since I'm here, I'll ask:

Ideas on good songs to play at a NYE party? My hilarious slot goes from 11pm to 2013, so I guess I should include something with a countdown, right??

Alfajor fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 4, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Humm have you ever heard of Levels by avichi? It's pretty tight.

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar
Play skirlex its this new trapped music that the kids are dancing to

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
auld lang sign (Paul Van Dyk Remix) is a must

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Alfajor posted:

Ideas on good songs to play at a NYE party? My hilarious slot goes from 11pm to 2013, so I guess I should include something with a countdown, right??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To5tCIW0FC4

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

play the launch. perfect nye song.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Oh you guys :allears:

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

midnight madness by chemical bros.

To the dude that asked earlier, i bought an X1 and use it with serato. Its pretty awesome but it seems to work best with traktor. You have traktor, so i would get it. Its great.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah I'm getting it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I just bought a DJM-900, and a couple of other little goodies.

Holy gently caress is this thing ever a beast. The EQs beat the native Traktor EQs by a wide margin but they're almost a totally different animal - I'm very used to making subtle adjustments on my S4 but these EQ bands just seem a bit more robust, if that makes sense. The Isolator mode is a sweet little touch, too, even though I rarely find myself digging that far out of the spectrum. The LPF/HPF on each channel, which I was so used to using as a crutch with my S4, is significantly more musical as well - surprisingly resonant, almost to a fault, but it's less for 'cut the bass to mix' and more for creative filter manipulation. I won't even get into the send effects section yet, because I haven't entirely wrapped my head around some of the more unique effects - all I can say is, the Flanger is exactly as fun to use as it is irritating to hear in a club.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The touch strip on the effects is awesome. You can do some cool beat repeat/echo effects with it. Hopefully you can use the effects on every transition so that people know you have a new mixer.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
That setup is so loving unreasonable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Hope you have some money left for a duster.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dopo posted:

It truly is; I'm a gear addict and this stuff has been acquired over a few years. It certainly helps to be versatile, and to have something a friend can rent for a gig. A lot of the stuff in there is totally redundant now - as TheWevel said the little touch-pad is a nice addition and it makes the effect template from my APC40 basically obsolete. The idea has always been to incorporate stems from Live, and sequenced external stuff, into a DJ environment - which of course gets easier every year, and is nothing new anymore. I'm looking forward to playing around with the F1. And yeah, I definitely need to do some cleaning.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

keevo posted:

Hope you have some money left for a duster.

There's dust on the turntables. He obviously doesn't want them

Give them to me :colbert:

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar
So a few months ago I bought a novation twitch and a beatport account after moving down to Destin, FL. I thought I'd be a bedroom DJ for a long time, but I saw an ad in the musicians section of Craigslist for a guy looking to collaborate on DJing, so I answered and he turned out to be a cool guy and a pretty good DJ. He kind of took me under his wing and showed me some of the ropes. Together we've DJed at some bars around town and tomorrow night, after doing a few test sets for a promoter, we are the main event at a warehouse party/rave tomorrow night. DJing is so fuckin awesome!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Monkey Knife Fight posted:

DJing is so fuckin awesome!

You've got the sickness now, condolences

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dopo posted:

The only thing I was confused about was dual laptops. Just seems like a waste of ~$1500. I can understand everything else in the pic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

vanilla slimfast posted:

You've got the sickness now, condolences
Needles, trackmarks, a constant need for new gear, and a permanently empty wallet. Truly a horrible addiction.