Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it's because the FWL is better at everything they play up in House Davion to make them "heroes." They're a Western European Liberalist state that uses English as its primary language and emphasizes personal liberties, and moreover it has a legislature. To make Davion look better they shoved Marik to the side even though (like almost everyone) they are more interesting than Davion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
These books take plot contrivance to new levels... It is actually kinda impressive in it's own twisted way.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Apropos of precisely squat... why is it that House Marik typically gets the short end of every single stick in Battletech? I mean, all the Houses tend to have something that defines them, and House Marik appears to be defined by "oh yeah, and those guys there."

...why is that? I mean, heck, I always liked them because I thought they had the coolest emblem (gently caress yeah purple birdwarrior) but they seem to be the very literal fifth wheel of the Great Houses; is it just that there was never a novel author that liked them and filled them with Mary Sues, or what?

I blame the Concord of Kapteyn and the first few Battletech writers. You see, the Concord was the treaty that allied Kurita, Liao, and Marik in response to the agreement that eventually merged Houses Davion and Steiner into the ill fated Federated Commonwealth. The upshot of which was the division of the Inner Sphere into the "good guys" (Davion, Steiner) and the "bad guys" (everyone else). It didn't have to be that way, mind you, but between "Sword and the Dagger" (Davion good guys, Liao bad guys) The first couple of Grey Death books (Steiner good guys, Kurita bad guys) and the Warrior books (Steiner+Davion good guys, Liao+Kurita bad guys) the good guy/bad guy setup was in place pretty much until the Clans showed up.

Marik pretty much never gets any love until the second generation of novels. Hell, even "The Price of Glory", the third Grey Death novel which is set in Marik space only has them as hapless puppets of Comstar.

You may also have noticed that "Warrior: En garde" didn't have anything Marik about it besides Grey Noton, who dies. They don't do a drat thing through the other Warrior books either.

Which means that by the time anyone remembered there were five great houses there had already been years of Marik neglect and most of the fans had drifted to one of the other four houses...mostly Steiner, Davion, and Kurita.

So yeah, the decision to take five interesting sides and reduce it to a simplistic good guy vs bad guy dichotomy combined with the early authors all ignoring House Marik ends up leaving the poor purple eagle boys out in the cold until well after the Clan invasion.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

^^^ It's the canon rank for a Lieutenant in the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns/Commonwealth, so yeah.

Just wait until we meet Chu-i Kurita Liason Officer later (I may be misremembering this).

That's pretty tame, they're full of poo poo like So-Sho, Sho-Sha, and probably Fo'Sho. And Tai-Ai.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Which means that by the time anyone remembered there were five great houses there had already been years of Marik neglect and most of the fans had drifted to one of the other four houses...mostly Steiner, Davion, and Kurita.

So yeah, the decision to take five interesting sides and reduce it to a simplistic good guy vs bad guy dichotomy combined with the early authors all ignoring House Marik ends up leaving the poor purple eagle boys out in the cold until well after the Clan invasion.

While Marik finally started getting some love from sourcebooks and the like, I don't think it actually ever came about while they were still making novels. I think the biggest "event" involving House Marik was in the Blood of Kerensky trilogy where Thomas Marik was at a conference and agreed to sell guns to a certain Mary-Sue faction. That was about it unless i'm missing something. There is of course Star Lord, which did feature probably the most FWL related writing in any of the novels.

It is kind of hilarious how much better the FWL is at being Space 'Murica compared to the Federated Suns as well. They are even better at having secession issues/grand old civil wars.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Picard Day posted:

It is kind of hilarious how much better the FWL is at being Space 'Murica compared to the Federated Suns as well. They are even better at having secession issues/grand old civil wars.

That's cause the Fed Suns were pretty much always Space 100 Years War England. Democracy don't do poo poo in the Suns, it's all about Space Dukes and Space Barons led by a Space Prince.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Felime posted:

I think the maintenance is to keep the mech ready to go at all times, and garrison contracts generally involve patrols and such. You can leave your mech in a storage bay for ages, but it's going to take your techs a day or two at least to make sure there's nothing wrong that could get you killed if you tried to use it.

If you leave your car in the garage and don't drive it for a couple months... well, you probably don't want to drive it into a war zone.

I'm not sure where 57 man hours actually go, considering most of them are done by a half-trained astech, though. I'm sure at least 40 of them are spent polishing the feet of our lovely mary sue's precious special snowflake clan mech.

You can leave a mech in storage for CENTURIES. The main reason a car starts having problems after a couple of weeks is... well the fluids inside it tend to settle and become gunk if not regularly moved around. A battlemech uses artifical muscles and a fusion engine and persumably doesn't have that issue. I mean btech is chock full of, ok enough of these guys BRING OUT THE CENTURIES OLD ASSAULT MECH WE HAVE LYING IN THE BARN.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

jng2058 posted:

That's cause the Fed Suns were pretty much always Space 100 Years War England. Democracy don't do poo poo in the Suns, it's all about Space Dukes and Space Barons led by a Space Prince.

You know that, and I know that, but Stackpole doesn't.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

You know that, and I know that, but Stackpole doesn't.

Mores the pity.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Felime posted:

I think the maintenance is to keep the mech ready to go at all times, and garrison contracts generally involve patrols and such. You can leave your mech in a storage bay for ages, but it's going to take your techs a day or two at least to make sure there's nothing wrong that could get you killed if you tried to use it.

If you leave your car in the garage and don't drive it for a couple months... well, you probably don't want to drive it into a war zone.

I'm not sure where 57 man hours actually go, considering most of them are done by a half-trained astech, though. I'm sure at least 40 of them are spent polishing the feet of our lovely mary sue's precious special snowflake clan mech.

I have no idea how to relate this, but one could assume its for predeployment checks and workups. I know aircraft generally gave a maintenance-hours/flying-hours ratio depending on how much work they need done. Old jets like USMC Legacy Bugs are around 15:1 since they're old and starting to wear out. They might not be replacing parts but everything needs manual checking.

Translate that to a 'Mech, you'd have system and reactor checks, manual inspection of the gryo, joints and Myonmer (I know supertough future synthetic muscle, but even that can get worn down) and everything else mechanical that could suffer fatigue over time. The bigger the 'Mech, the more parts there'd be and the more time needing yo be spent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hey, technicians cost money! Ideally they'd want one astech per `Mech, one full time tech per lance, and a slightly better master technician for the company. This is something the Black Thorns fail at (the pilots all maintain their own machines, so they're kinda... jury-rigged trash, honestly).
Ideally they'd want a Tech per mech, and a team of four AsTechs per Tech.

PoptartsNinja posted:

HOWEVER! That's the revised edition of the rules. What were they like when the Black Thorns books were published?

It's actually slightly cheaper since officers don't get paid more.
There's another version again since FM:Mercs. Mercs Supplemental 1 or 2 has variant rules for it, and I think StratOps supercedes both too.

Paingod556 posted:

Did the author really write 'Leftenant'? Really?

That's the same poo poo Clancy pulls, to say 'see guys, they're British! Because they say Lieutenant in a funny way! BASK IN THEIR BRITISHNESS!'
Through sheer co-incidence I've been on a Clancy nostalgia streak over the last few days. He really is terrible at dialogue. Everyone talks like a yank, regardless of where they're from, except for that one British guy who is secretly Michael Caine.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 28, 2012

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Arquinsiel posted:

Through sheer co-incidence I've been on a Clancy nostalgia streak over the last few days. He really is terrible at dialogue. Everyone talks like a yank, regardless of where they're from, except for that one British guy who is secretly Michael Caine.

Indeed. I'll stop going off topic and return to bad BT writers, but I've found that if you read 'Dangerous Ground' by Larry Bond, and try to read 'SSN' immediately after it... I gave up 2 pages in. The former is amusing, interesting and has some drama. The latter... :eng99:

Back to BT, I've only read Prince of Havoc a decade ago, the one that involved VSD taking a Dire Wolf to a batchall and not using it, and also a Timber Wolf getting it's cockpit shot out.

As in, the entire cockpit. At the time, I thought it was cool. These days, I try to figure out the physics before giving up and declaring 'a tetatae did it'.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh, TBH Clancy writes good gunfights for the person who's never been in one (IE:me), and his espionage is somewhat believable. The jingoism and blatant "Jack Ryan is a centrist!" stuff coming from the same author is pretty hillarioustoo, so I'm entertained. The whole thing just kind of makes me think "awww... bless".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Paingod556 posted:

also a Timber Wolf getting it's cockpit shot out.

Well, you see every BattleMech is designed so that every important system has a single point of failure. He clearly just cut the single myomer that holds the cockpit in place. :downs:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, you see every BattleMech is designed so that every important system has a single point of failure.

No, most of them have two knees.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

Indeed. I'll stop going off topic and return to bad BT writers, but I've found that if you read 'Dangerous Ground' by Larry Bond, and try to read 'SSN' immediately after it... I gave up 2 pages in. The former is amusing, interesting and has some drama. The latter... :eng99:

Back to BT, I've only read Prince of Havoc a decade ago, the one that involved VSD taking a Dire Wolf to a batchall and not using it, and also a Timber Wolf getting it's cockpit shot out.

As in, the entire cockpit. At the time, I thought it was cool. These days, I try to figure out the physics before giving up and declaring 'a tetatae did it'.

He did use it... he just managed to get it trashed going up against an elemental.

also
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Military_Ranks
that's got two tables of ranks and their equivalents between the militaries. Was included in the back of a few books.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The first one is pretty much wrong. Skip to the second one.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 28, 2012

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Time to see who's being taken over by an alternate this turn.

VVV I learned from the best. Death Commando teams up with Hell Horse in Escape from Blood Planet! This Blood's for you!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 28, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Time to see who's being taken over by an alternate this turn.

That sounds vaguely like a solicit.

"Turn 2... you'll never guess who's been taken over by the biggest new villain of all time: THE ALTERNATE!!! Find out in this week's ish!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, I sorta got orders for everyone? The alternate for the Rifleman IIC sent in a question and never sent orders; and the alternate for X4/X8 responded to the call but didn't send me any orders (fortunately, b0lt came back).

So I'm going to give the alternate for the Rifleman a little longer since I wasn't able to put the call out immediately.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, you see every BattleMech is designed so that every important system has a single point of failure. He clearly just cut the single myomer that holds the cockpit in place. :downs:
Hey man, when you roll cockpit on the crit chart that fucker is GONE.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well, I sorta got orders for everyone? The alternate for the Rifleman IIC sent in a question and never sent orders; and the alternate for X4/X8 responded to the call but didn't send me any orders (fortunately, b0lt came back).

So I'm going to give the alternate for the Rifleman a little longer since I wasn't able to put the call out immediately.

That's odd. He lists the orders as "in" in the doc. Would you like me to forward them to you?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Hey man, when you roll cockpit on the crit chart that fucker is GONE.

Unless you armored that bitch or are running an interface cockpit. There's probably another exception or 3 I can't think of off the top of my head.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the dual cockpit prevents the mech dying, but the cockpit itself is still toast.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's odd. He lists the orders as "in" in the doc. Would you like me to forward them to you?

I'd appreciate that.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We goony spectators will appreciate the guy with 4 cLPLs getting to do something this turn :v:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This'll be just like last mission. The enemy will surrender once the Rifleman gets in range, the dude is just giving you all a fair lead.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Also PTN, I would just like to say that your message to the alternates got put into my spam folder, so please don't remove me from the list.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Time to find out if those small lasers will serve their intended purpose (soaking crits) I see.

Edit: So, who likes Firestarters?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 29, 2012

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I looked it up and apparently a robotic cockpit basically takes a base pilot's value and adds +1, so an 0/0 would be a 1/1 or whatever. So it'll always be slightly worse than what/whoever's being used as the base for the AI. :confuoot:

The strange thing is, if I read the rules properly, you can install it into a normal battlemech, which makes the WoB putting it in the Revenant even more dumb. Why didn't they just glue it into a shitload of actual good units?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

If I tell you that I hate Firestarters, will that keep them from showing up?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I tell you that I hate Firestarters, will that keep them from showing up?

You'd rather the Hunchbacks then? Alrighty, I can do that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'll be good.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

PoptartsNinja posted:

No but I really REALLY would HATE to see a battalion of URBIES show up. Oh man, can't stand those mechs!

Please put in a battalion of urbies?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Given that they can't jump and would have to wade across the water over a couple to three turns to really have a chance at hitting? I'd be ECSTATIC to see a lance of Hunchbacks instead of fast, zippy Firestarters that can easily get into our backfield and mess stuff up.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I wouldn't worry too much about the Firestarters. Stackpole has taught me that flamer fuel is highly explosive and dangerous to the pilot :downs:.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

fool_of_sound posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about the Firestarters. Stackpole has taught me that flamer fuel is highly explosive and dangerous to the pilot :downs:.

While it's an amusing mistake, he said he had nine months to bash out the entire Warrior trilogy so he was working off a reading of the rules provided by FASA and some dice rolling. Missing a detail like "BT flamers do it like this [which isn't how every other flamethrower weapon works]" is understandable.

and funny :v:

And honestly with the existence of Main Event and DRT (I want to believe the author was about 14 when he wrote these and got his dad to pretend to be the author, it'd explain so much) FASA obviously didn't edit a drat thing, otherwise they may have caught it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Breakout: Tactical Update 3

Movement Phase

Combat Phase
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 11): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (14/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 11): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 33 heat, sinks 38!

H2 Cougar D
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire! No line of sight to target!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire! No line of sight to target!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 25!

X1 Banshee IIC
- Fires ER PPC at S8 Valkyrie (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/10 at S8 Valkyrie (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 22!

H3 Wolf Spider A
- No target in range!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 38!

H4 Mad Dog Prime
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 implants = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S11 Sunfire (3 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 implants = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 24!

H5 Stormcrow H
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 44!

X2 Exterminator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S7 Valkyrie (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (0/12 armor, 4/7 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S7 Valkyrie (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S7 Valkyrie (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S7 Valkyrie (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 9): rolled 11, hit Head (1/8 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 26!

X3 Archer
- Fires LRM-20 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 6): rolled 7, 16 missiles hit Right Torso (0/7 structure remains (torso destroyed!)), 1 damage transfers to Center Torso (3/14 armor remains), Left Torso (2/7 structure remains (critical chance!)), Center Torso (0/14 armor, 8/10 structure remains (critical chance!)), Center Torso (7/10 structure remains (critical chance!))!
- Fires LRM-20 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 6): rolled 10, 12 missiles hit Right Leg (7/12 armor remains), Left Arm (4/9 armor remains), Center Torso (2/10 structure remains (critical chance!))!
- Gains 13 heat, sinks 15!

X4 Po
- Fires MRM-10 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 1 iLK = 11): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires MRM-10 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 1 iLK = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires MRM-10 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 1 iLK = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 18!

X5 Blackjack
- Fires Large Laser at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 25!

X6 Dervish
- Fires LRM-10 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires SRM-2 at S7 Valkyrie (1 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 10): rolled 10, 2 missiles hit Center Torso (0/10 structure remains), Left Leg (9/12 armor remains)! `Mech destroyed!
- Gains 15 heat, sinks 15!

X7 Vindicator
- Target destroyed!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 24!

X8 Mongoose
- Drops prone!
- Holds fire!
- Spots for Indirect Fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 15!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S8 Valkyrie (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at S8 Valkyrie (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods - 2 pulse laser = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 w/ Artemis IV at S8 Valkyrie (1 base+ 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 12): rolls 6, miss!
- Gains 6 heat, sinks 30!

X10 Marauder
- Fires PPC at S8 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at S8 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Autocannon/5 at S8 Valkyrie (1 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (7/12 armor remains)! TAC!
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 27!

X11 Merlin
- Fires PPC at S8 Valkyrie (0 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at S8 Valkyrie (0 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (7/12 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at S8 Valkyrie (0 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at S8 Valkyrie (0 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 iLK = 5): rolled 11, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (10/14 armor remains)!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 27!

X12 Atlas
- Fires Gauss Rifle at S5 Valkyrie (0 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Left Torso (0/12 armor, 4/7 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Fires MRM-40 at S5 Valkyrie (0 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 MRM - 1 iLK = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- Activates EI Implants
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at S11 Sunfire (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 light woods - 1 targeting computer - 1 EI Implants = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Torso (8/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at S11 Sunfire (1 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement + 0 light woods - 1 targeting computer - 1 EI Implants = 8): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/24 armor, 10/12 structure remains)! Critical chance!
- Gains 38 heat, sinks 42!

S5 Valkyrie
- Fires LRM-10 at X12 Atlas (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!

S6 Valkyrie
- Fires LRM-10 at X12 Atlas (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, 10 missiles hit Left Arm (29/34 armor remains), Center Torso (42/47 armor remains)!

S7 Valkyrie
- Fires LRM-10 at X12 Atlas (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!

S8 Valkyrie
- Fires LRM-10 at X12 Atlas (2 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!

S9 Sunfire
- Fires Heavy PPC at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 10, miss!
- Fires Heavy PPC at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 11): rolled 5, miss!

S10 Sunfire
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 2014!
- Fires Heavy PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires Heavy PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 11): rolled 2, miss!

S11 Sunfire
- Torso Twists to threaten hex 2116!
- Fires Heavy PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Heavy PPC at H6 Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 11): rolled 4, miss!

End Phase:
S5 Valkyrie
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!

S8 Valkyrie
- Through-Armor Critical chance in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - LRM-10 ammo hit!
- S8 Valkyrie suffers 100 damage to Right Torso (0/12 armor, 0/7 structure remains)! Torso destroyed!
- - 86 Damage transfers to Center Torso (0/14 armor, 0/10 structure remains)! 66 damage vents harmlessly! `Mech destroyed!

S11 Sunfire
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 3 critical hits sustained!
- - Small Laser hit!
- - Double Heat Sink hit!
- - Small Laser hit!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 1 massive damage = 4): rolled 9, succeeds!

Emil Voronov growled in frustration as his Gauss Rifle blew nearly a ton of armor from a Valkyrie’s torso. The `Mech shuddered, clutching at its left breast, then leapt into the air to avoid his slower missiles. “Damnation,” he cursed, “I didn’t even get the launcher.”

“I hate Valkyries,” Tanta Hogpen chimed in agreement as his lasers crossed a half-meter over a Valkyrie’s head. “They’re far too nimble.”

“Let me show you how it’s done, Tanta,” Shin Hytönen called, his PPC and Large Laser missing to either side, bracketing the Valkyrie for an instant. Armor shattered almost unnoticed as the dazzling blast from his PPC slipped past. Shin’s long-barrel autocannon, considered perhaps the weakest weapon on his seventy-five ton Marauder, rocked the Valkyrie slightly.

For half an instant it stood still as a shot man, then vanished in a hellish storm of fire and ceramics.

Shin Hytönen chuckled into the comms, “That was my thirty-fifth Valkyrie kill. I shall never grow tired of breaking Hanse Davion’s toys.”

“Don’t look now,” Chiyoe Takahasi called from the cockpit of her little Mongoose. Laying prone on a hilltop to better observe the enemy, she had a clear view of the Davion ships far overhead. “It looks like one of those dropships just dropped a lance of Firestarters on our Clan ‘friends.’”

Mission Objectives:
Secure the Dropships (incomplete)
Hold off the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers (incomplete)

Optional
Defeat the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers’ 2nd Battalion (2/40)
Death Commandos: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Hell’s Horses (2/40)
Hell’s Horses: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Death Commandos (0/40)

Key:
H1 Rifleman IIC, H2 Cougar D, X1 Banshee IIC
H3 Wolf Spider A, H4 Mad Dog Prime, H5 Stormcrow H
X2 Exterminator IIC, X3 Archer, X4 Po
X5 Blackjack, X6 Dervish, X7 Vindicator
X8 Mongoose, X9 Cyclops IIC, X10 Marauder
X11 Merlin, X12 Atlas, H6 Gargoyle Tjris

Enemy Movement Mods:
S1 Mackie +0
S2 Battlemaster +0
S3 Awesome +0
S4 Sunfire +0
S5 Valkyrie +3 Jumped
S6 Valkyrie +3 Jumped
S9 Sunfire +1
S10 Sunfire +1
S11 Sunfire +1
S12 Sunfire +1
S13 JagerMech +1
S14 JagerMech +0
S15 JagerMech +0
S16 JagerMech +0
F1 Firestarter +3 Jumped
F2 Firestarter +3 Jumped
F3 Firestarter +3 Jumped
F4 Firestarter +3 Jumped
F5 Hunchback, F6 Hunchback, F7 Hunchback, F8 Hunchback
F9 Grasshopper, F10 Grasshopper, F11 Grasshopper, F12 Grasshopper
G1 Phoenix Hawk, G2 Phoenix Hawk, G3 Phoenix Hawk, G4 Phoenix Hawk,
G5 Grasshopper, G6 Grasshopper, G7 Grasshopper, G8 Grasshopper
G9 Shadow Hawk, G9 Shadow Hawk, G9 Shadow Hawk, G9 Shadow Hawk
Dropships: Too high to fire at, do not block movement.

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

What I liked about Firestarters is they are basically walking war crimes. Like that is their express purpose.

I was surprised the Death Commandoes didn't have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Servicio en Espanol posted:

I was surprised the Death Commandoes didn't have any.

They're Federated Suns exclusive. Yeah.

• Locked thread