Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Finally set to get my Wii U Gamepad back from Nintendo tonight. I'm sure it's just going to be a gamepad wrapped in a paper sleeve but I'm hoping they'll put something extra in it for the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

japtor posted:

Then again you could play Wario Ware Twisted on the GC/GBA player even though it wasn't even remotely meant for that :v:

Seeing the Player mentioned made me wonder if anyone tried those link games with a squadron of GBA Players instead of real GBAs. Turns out, someone did.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Pokémon is a childrens' game and fits perfectly well on handhelds; just because nerds sploosh at the idea of playing it on a console doesn't mean it's a sensible business decision.

Are you honestly saying a full pokemon game wouldn't sell at record high numbers on a console? That's like saying the next call of duty will sell under 100,000 copies.

I think if they release a proper pokemon stadium (all pokemon rentable, mini-games, can be completed without the handheld game) and include an XD-esque mini-adventure in it where you're only allowed to capture certain pokemon, it would satisfy everyone.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 28, 2012

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bombadilillo posted:

Are Sony considering selling ps3/vita or ps4/vita combo. I'd buy a ps4 if I gotta vita out of it. But if they try to do it on the ps3 it will be like move and nobody will support it. If you want to chace Nintendo on this second screen you need everyone with a console to have one. Just having Vita or smartglass or whatever as a possibility with a few games that use it isnt going to work.

Sony is probably too busy floundering to think about PS4 bundle deals right now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

Are you honestly saying a full pokemon game wouldn't sell at record high numbers on a console? That's like saying the next call of duty will sell under 100,000 copies.

I don't know; maybe I am. I honestly think that everyone who wants to play Pokémon owns a DS; I'm not sure they all own a console or would purchase one for it. I don't doubt that it would sell amazingly but I don't think it's certain that it would sell more.

It's hard to find good examples of this, but the DS version of NSMB for example sold 29M, the Wii version 26M. Don't underestimate that Nintendo handhelds have a monstrous userbase, and that coupled with the higher production costs could very well mean that the best investment:profit ratio is just keeping it on the DS.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
If they release console ones they can release them more often because they look more like different products.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

parasyte posted:

Seeing the Player mentioned made me wonder if anyone tried those link games with a squadron of GBA Players instead of real GBAs. Turns out, someone did.

You'll be happy to see this.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't know; maybe I am. I honestly think that everyone who wants to play Pokémon owns a DS; I'm not sure they all own a console or would purchase one for it. I don't doubt that it would sell amazingly but I don't think it's certain that it would sell more.

It's hard to find good examples of this, but the DS version of NSMB for example sold 29M, the Wii version 26M. Don't underestimate that Nintendo handhelds have a monstrous userbase, and that coupled with the higher production costs could very well mean that the best investment:profit ratio is just keeping it on the DS.

I doubt GameFreak spends CoD money on the Pokemon development but they certainly take home CoD money doing it.

Why kick up production costs when you don't need to? That's the thing. Pokemon is the best low risk high reward in the game industry. No sense breaking the money levee until it makes sense and right now it really doesn't.

Half of the guys I know who played Pokemon in grade school still play it. They may pine for a AAA game version but they are still going to pay for the A version now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

SmartGlass doesn't require any particular device. Any smart phone or a windows 8 computer can use SmartGlass.
On the other hand by going with the any device compatibility route they sort of limit themselves to what they can pull off with it, it's all working through HTML5 stuff basically iirc (granted it's still capable of cool stuff, but browser compatibility and hardware performance comes into play with more complex stuff).

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Let me ask the Pokemon question in reverse - I'm someone who buys the handheld games and loves them. Let's say Gamefreak does produce a console version of a "real" Pokemon game. Why would I get a version tethered to my console when I can play "real" Pokemon on the go whenever I want (and pay less for it while I'm at it)? I loved Colosseum and XD because they weren't "real" Pokemon games. Rather than simply reproduce the established formula and offer me something I already had, but bigger and shinier, they gave me something that was different and interesting.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I'm looking forward to Pokemon on the 3DS, at the very least it should be in full 3D with proper battle animations. But I would kill for a full Pokemon RPG on Wii-U, who wouldn't? Seriously Nintendo, tell me who I have to kill.

But really, I don't see Nintendo making a console Pokemon RPG unless they are in real trouble and need a major sales boost. I also doubt they'd ever make an MMORPG before they've made a Pokemon game for every other genre first.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm sure a Nintendo MMORPG would work really well.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho
So I've had my Wii U since launch, been playing a bit most days. Having a blast with ZombiU and Nintendo Land. Though Nintendo Land definitely gets the most time spent on it. ZombiU is freakin tense, though, and I just end up playing shorter sessions of it.
Nintendo Land I definitely would buy at retail even if I had got the Basic, it is pretty great. I know ZombiU will be seeing price drops in the coming months, but I just was more interested in playing it right out the gate as opposed to NSMBU, which'll be full price pretty much whenever I get it. Still looking forward to that, though.

My wishlist of things that could change for the better would have to include speeding up the whole experience, reducing time between apps and Home menu, load times, etc.
Also, I really want an option to also control Netflix with a Wiimote.
And to be able to shut off the Gamepad screen during Netflix streaming.

Also, a YouTube app that wasn't pointless at best would maybe be cool, but at least there isn't much to bitch about with the browser.

And, I really want registered profiles to have their own game save data.
I don't know if some Wii U games already do this, but I think they really should. Why the hell not?

Overall I'm quite happy to be an early adopting guinea pig, which is unusual for me. Only other thing I ever jumped on right at launch was the DS, which I still have and does get used.

tl?/dr?: Wii U is pretty cool so far, and I have no real concerns about it being worth it in the long run, just hopin' some stuff improves as we get OS updates and what-not.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm sure a Nintendo MMORPG would work really well.
Absolutely.
But it's something Nintendo has never done before, I imagine they'd be very wary going ahead with it since Pokemon is made for children and it would probably require more moderation than any game ever.

It also might take sales away from the handheld RPGs.

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

And to be able to shut off the Gamepad screen during Netflix streaming.

home button, controller settings, display off

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

.TakaM posted:

Absolutely.
But it's something Nintendo has never done before, I imagine they'd be very wary going ahead with it since Pokemon is made for children and it would probably require more moderation than any game ever.

It also might take sales away from the handheld RPGs.

But each new handheld Pokemon RPG will have many new Pokemon added to them not available in the MMO. Want to use them in the MMO? No problem, just register your 3DS/Wii/whatever Pokemon game with Nintendo and you can use them in the MMO now.

$$$$$$$$$$$$∞

Does Wonderful 101 have an actual release date yet or is it still just "spring" or whatever?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 29, 2012

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

orborborb posted:

home button, controller settings, display off

Maybe I'm just not doing it correctly, but when I do this, Netflix pauses the movie I have playing and the only way to unpause it is to turn the display back on, because it seemed like every button on the controller was turned off along with the display.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

WaffleStomp posted:

Maybe I'm just not doing it correctly, but when I do this, Netflix pauses the movie I have playing and the only way to unpause it is to turn the display back on, because it seemed like every button on the controller was turned off along with the display.

If you have a pro controller, you should be able to use that to back out of the home menu.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Does anyone else find it hard to believe there are only ~600 people playing black ops at any one time? I would think that such a big game would have a larger audience than that, even considering the Wii U isn't their target audience.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Seph posted:

Does anyone else find it hard to believe there are only ~600 people playing black ops at any one time? I would think that such a big game would have a larger audience than that, even considering the Wii U isn't their target audience.

Released later, released on a platform without an existing fan base of people buying it for the same console every year, released on a platform (comparatively) nobody has? Yeah, 600 sounds about right.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Seph posted:

I think most purchased it the week prior and not many waited for the Wii-U version.

CoD does have a loyal following for Wii users but it's like a million buys and not the numbers 360/PS3 get.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think most purchased it the week prior and not many waited for the Wii-U version.

CoD does have a loyal following for Wii users but it's like a million buys and not the numbers 360/PS3 get.

Do you think the numbers will increase to anything close to Xbox levels? It's disheartening that no one is playing modes like ground game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Seph posted:

Do you think the numbers will increase to anything close to Xbox levels? It's disheartening that no one is playing modes like ground game.

Wait for late december. The numbers are pretty low for everything. The other day I only saw 40k people in the Nintendo land miiverse, and a similar number for Mario U.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The thing about a Pokemon MMO is that if they made one, they wouldn't really have an excuse to make another Pokemon game ever again. An MMO would basically be the ultimate Pokemon game. I'm almost positive that the perennial Pokemon releases almost every year probably drag in more cash than sustaining an MMO would be in the long run. I mean, they could just do yearly expansions, but I feel like that wouldn't have the same appeal a new game does.

Either way it seems like Nintendo is trying to give Game Freak a little more breathing room after what I am pretty sure have been annual releases since Diamond and Pearl, so who knows what the future holds. Game Freak is a talented studio and seeing them work on something other than Pokemon again is really nice, Harmoknight looks really cute.

Anyway, I got a Wii U at the Nintendo store in New York yesterday as an early birthday present, only place I could find the Deluxe package anywhere near me. I'm not opening the thing until my actual birthday though, because I got a lot of homework this week. Pretty excited though!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait for late december. The numbers are pretty low for everything. The other day I only saw 40k people in the Nintendo land miiverse, and a similar number for Mario U.

I imagine a lot of consoles purchased so far are Christmas/etc. presents for the end of the year.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Saw some black units in at Walmart here today, really wish I could justify spending $350 on a toy right now instead of getting my muffler fixed.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Does Wonderful 101 have an actual release date yet or is it still just "spring" or whatever?
Yeah it's still just launch window. I don't think there's been anything announced outside that actually, other than Bayonetta 2.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gendo posted:

why y'all playin' pokemon games

I personally don't, but my son would love to play one on the big screen with the Wii U and be able to take the gamepad with him back to his room whenever. I could potentially see myself spending some father/son time with him playing it if there is localized MP of some sort too.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There isn't a full-fledged Pokemon game on a console because Pokemon is and always has been about interacting with other people no matter where you are. It's portable so that you can easily trade or battle with your friends in person anywhere, or show them your Pokemon, or whatever. Making it on a console would take away the in-person battle/trade aspect, or at least make it more difficult/convoluted. That's why the series became popular, and why the main games will never leave the handheld platform.

Because as we all know, there are far more people carrying around their handheld systems raring to trade and battle at all times. Definitely much more than the people who play online on their home consoles.

Also it is 1997 and I am hyped as gently caress about the game boy pocket

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Mandrel posted:

Because as we all know, there are far more people carrying around their handheld systems raring to trade and battle at all times. Definitely much more than the people who play online on their home consoles.

Also it is 1997 and I am hyped as gently caress about the game boy pocket

You can play the handheld ones online too. :ssh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Seph posted:

The Call of Duty players are really entrenched in their existing platforms and getting them to shift to a brand new one is going to be extremely hard. That's a process that will take a revision or two if it's ever successful. On top of that there's not a huge number of Wii U's out there to build a huge player base and the Miiverse numbers make me think that only about 10% of them are online.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

It's 1997 for the sake of suspension of disbelief; you can't go mentioning that or it ruins the whole scene.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
On the topic of a Pokemon MMORPG, has there ever been an MMORPG aimed at kids? Would a lot of parents be happy with it? I`m honestly quite curious.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shelf Adventure posted:

On the topic of a Pokemon MMORPG, has there ever been an MMORPG aimed at kids? Would a lot of parents be happy with it? I`m honestly quite curious.

Theres some free ones. Wizard 101 and Fusion Fall come to mind.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Shelf Adventure posted:

Toon Town.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Club Penguin?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah there's actually a very large number of ones aimed at kids. A Pokemon one would destroy them all though even if it was just free to play, pay to get better/earlier access to new Pokemon.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All they would need is to follow the Valve system. Pay to get hats for your Pokemon :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

absolutely anything posted:

Exactly. You can do all kinds of online stuff in the most recent Pokemon game, but if it were for a home console you'd lose out on the portability and stuff that has been a defining feature of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All they would need is to follow the Valve system. Pay to get hats for your Pokemon Mii:getin:

I can see a lot of people doing this, sadly.

Also:

• Locked thread