Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

What joke image do you post when I admit I measure for a size 8 hat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5vnZec964c

I thought my head was big at 7 3/4. The S19 felt good, but once I got a visor on it it wouldnt stay set properly on my head, like it was made for people whos heads were wider then they are long, like Hey Arnold or Stewie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Try harder, I made a sputnik joke on the last page!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

?

wait no...

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

That's a Reebok helmet, not Easton. :spergin:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

I was in 3rd loving grade when my town had this big "every kids gets a free bike helmet" kick. We all got called down in groups to get sized and given our helmet. In third loving grade, I got to have the helmet guy laugh hysterically as none of the helmets fit me. He ended up having to give me one that was meant for "8th graders".

My best friend at the time couldn't stop loving laughing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Today's special on Hockey Monkey is sticks.

$139 - 20% coupon code BLKNOV20 = $112 for a Bauer TotalOne LE.
My intermediate is $130 - 20% = $104.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Today's special on Hockey Monkey is sticks.

$139 - 20% coupon code BLKNOV20 = $112 for a Bauer TotalOne LE.
My intermediate is $130 - 20% = $104.

:argh: $40 off the Makos I've been eyeing.

Can't afford it, gently caress you car for getting trouble right as I was getting all stick happy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I landed hard on my tailbone and can only sit on one rear end cheek. :negative:

Is there a pair of pants out there with a reputation for rear end protection because I'd rather not have it happen again.

Upside is it was during a board battle and I and somehow shoved it towards a teammate who instantly scored, so at least I sacrificed my butt for an assist.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Had a invite-only pickup game tonight with some guys. It was a D2/D3 mixup of guys who (largely) know each other.

It was a great game... until one of the guys broke his leg (shin). He caught his skate on the pipe *while* being tangled up with another player. I think it was broke before he hit the ice by the way he screamed. I was too busy knocking the puck out of the slot to notice the fine detail of that.

But dear God I'm shocked that he didn't have an open break. The lump was huge and given the way he was in pain with them just taking off his pads and skates it wasn't a good time.

Good thing we have like 4 paramedics on the team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yikes, that's terrible.

Why did they take off the shinguard? Was the break very close to his ankle?

It's a "great" stabilization device in a pinch, especially for arm injuries. Not that it's going to take much of the pain away, but still seems kinda weird.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe they weren't sure if the bone had broken the skin and decided they needed to check?

I'm no doctor and I certainly wasn't there so I'm just guessing. :v:

But I watched a tv show once that said exposing bones to air was really bad for them so I'm gonna go with that theory!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Yikes, that's terrible.

Why did they take off the shinguard? Was the break very close to his ankle?

It's a "great" stabilization device in a pinch, especially for arm injuries. Not that it's going to take much of the pain away, but still seems kinda weird.

They did a bunch of stuff before they even removed anything. Mostly just seeing where he was hurt and what he could do.

They kept the shin guard on pretty much until the ambulance came with a better stabilizer. They were checking him out and the good news is he was able to move his toes and such so at least the nerves seem to be ok.

The biggest thing they were concerned about was just getting his foot up and keeping him conscious. Two guys propped him up as he was starting to pass out when he was lying flat.

Something I learned that I wouldn't have ever thought about was the paramedic who took charge was like "give him water, but don't let him swallow it". Apparently because if he needed surgery obviously he can't have water in him.

EDIT: and if I had to guess, I'd say like 4-5" above his malleolus, so lower shin.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 30, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
It seems like an ice rink is one of the best places to get, since there is almost always medical staff on the ice. Of course, when I got hurt back in September I was playing for my team with no medical personnel on it. If I had been hurt while playing with my other team, then I would have had a surgeon and neurologist on the ice, though a neurologist probably couldn't have done much for an MCL tear.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

JetsGuy posted:

They did a bunch of stuff before they even removed anything. Mostly just seeing where he was hurt and what he could do.

They kept the shin guard on pretty much until the ambulance came with a better stabilizer. They were checking him out and the good news is he was able to move his toes and such so at least the nerves seem to be ok.

The biggest thing they were concerned about was just getting his foot up and keeping him conscious. Two guys propped him up as he was starting to pass out when he was lying flat.

Something I learned that I wouldn't have ever thought about was the paramedic who took charge was like "give him water, but don't let him swallow it". Apparently because if he needed surgery obviously he can't have water in him.

EDIT: and if I had to guess, I'd say like 4-5" above his malleolus, so lower shin.
If he really needed surgery that bad, a little water in his stomach wouldn't stop it from happening. Also, I don't understand what the point of giving him water is if he can't swallow it.

Aniki posted:

It seems like an ice rink is one of the best places to get, since there is almost always medical staff on the ice. Of course, when I got hurt back in September I was playing for my team with no medical personnel on it. If I had been hurt while playing with my other team, then I would have had a surgeon and neurologist on the ice, though a neurologist probably couldn't have done much for an MCL tear.
A general surgeon would probably be able to do about the same. Quite frankly, there's not much you can do for the patient on an ice rink unless the ambulance is there.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Aniki posted:

Interestingly, the worst injury I've seen in a game so far was a surgeon on my old team getting his front teeth knocked out by a stray puck.

e: That team also had an orthopedic surgeon on it, which was sort of comforting.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

We used to play in a league against a team called the Hockey Docs. I would have felt really safe except they played like they were trying to drum up business.

---

On a related medical note: Hive Mind, I am looking for good VMO strengthening exercises and (better yet) activities. Just saw my surgeon for the nth time in five months and I'm almost no better off three months after surgery than I was beforehand. The diagnosis is poo poo patellar tracking due to an atrophied VMO.

Skating seems to exacerbate my condition right now. Anyone have experience here?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

A general surgeon would probably be able to do about the same. Quite frankly, there's not much you can do for the patient on an ice rink unless the ambulance is there.

That's true. Emergency medicine, especially without proper equipment, is a different skillset. I just work under the assumption that most medical professionals would have an idea of the proper protocol to follow after someone gets hurt and depending on the injury could begin rudimentary treatment if necessary. Though as you suggested they would be out of their element and the type of experience they have could very well not apply to that situation. Would it be better to have an Orthopedist or EMT on the ice or does it just come down to without the proper tools available, it is difficult for them to provide treatment?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Aniki posted:

That's true. Emergency medicine, especially without proper equipment, is a different skillset. I just work under the assumption that most medical professionals would have an idea of the proper protocol to follow after someone gets hurt and depending on the injury could begin rudimentary treatment if necessary. Though as you suggested they would be out of their element and the type of experience they have could very well not apply to that situation. Would it be better to have an Orthopedist or EMT on the ice or does it just come down to without the proper tools available, it is difficult for them to provide treatment?
I would rather have the emt if it were me. The orthopedist, or any physician really, probably can do little without the proper tools. I mean, he's probably not gonna reduce a dislocated fracture without an x ray or anesthesia unless the is definitely no ambulance coming.

Although really, the emt is probably in the same boat without their tools. Basically your goal in the field (I would guess ) would be to keep the patient stable enough to get to the hospital.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Speaking of scary poo poo on the ice... this guy skates at the same rink as one of my friends. She wasn't there when it went down, but holy gently caress.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Speaking of scary poo poo on the ice... this guy skates at the same rink as one of my friends. She wasn't there when it went down, but holy gently caress.

I read that article when I got my copy in the mail. loving amazing story.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next time my wife rolls her eyes at me leaving hockey gear all over the living room to dry out, I'm going to warn her that she'll miss it if I ever have an aneurysm.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zetterberg, you were the one with the bumblebee stick, right?

I took a page out of your playbook and taped my stick for Christmas:

Festive! :toot:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha, yes I am, and that's a pretty awesome idea. You should have done the whole thing though!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Haha, taping the whole stick would be hilarious. I actually debated doing the top of the shaft and decided against it.

... For now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just booked my flight to Colorado for some free PBR action in February. Also pond hockey I guess.

:getin:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Aniki posted:

would be great for screening for a concussion though

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Heard from the guys about the injury last night. Tibia fracture as we figured. Doctor says 8 weeks, but I imagine that's until he can walk. He had apparently hit the upright which is what caused it to break before he went in.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Topoisomerase posted:

would be great for screening for a concussion though

Yeah, he is trained for concussion screening and we've talked about that.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Heard from the guys about the injury last night. Tibia fracture as we figured. Doctor says 8 weeks, but I imagine that's until he can walk. He had apparently hit the upright which is what caused it to break before he went in.

At least he didn't break both, or screw up his ankle. I broke my fibula and dislocated my ankle crashing into the boards back in July, and I'm just now getting back to hockey.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

It sounds like our team is going to have maybe 5 skaters for our game on Sunday. The last two games we've had 8 and 7. Lots of ice time and good cardio, but drat, son.

On the plus side I think my coworker on the team has recruited one of our sales guys to come out and play, so yay networking?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Our attendance has been really up and down all season (myself included) , and we've got some good spares, but theres a few guys, god drat they are bad, like might as well be shorthanded bad, gave up a few goals last game due to it unfortunately.

We also lost our goalie at the end of last season (he got transfered to Winnipeg), and the goalie we got to fill in for him dislocated his shoulder and needed surgery the week before the season started, so we've been platooning whoever we can get out for each game, with mixed results. One of our best strengths the last 3 years has been having solid reliable goaltending, and now that its gone it's really tough.

Such a huge part of the game to have someone back there that can bail us out every once in a while. We rely a lot on our defence to create offense, some of our forwards arent the strongest skaters so in order to get/maintain any offensive pressure we have to jump into the rush and play agressive in the offensive zone. With having less guys show up, a lot of games we've needed a forward or two to drop back to D which leaves one of the natural defensemen to have to make a conscious effort to hang back and play more responsible.

The worst is a guy who is in really good shape, but not that great of a hockey player, he can skate fairly fast but he chops the ice to bits, no hands, and no hockey sense, and for whatever reason he WANTS to play defence. The first game I had to play with him it was alright, we were in a lower division and he was playing fairly calm. The last game I had to play with him in the higher division, he was all over the place, chasing the puck, playing on my side, every move I made he was there trying to do something, so I couldn't do anything. The play that comes to mind the most is a 2 on 2 crossing the blueline and he (on the weak side) comes flying over to the puck carrier who's infront of me leaving the guy WIDE open in the slot and he got the pass and scored, not a chance for our goalie, not a chance for me.

Sorry not sure why I decided to turn that into a rant

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

D C posted:

The last game I had to play with him in the higher division, he was all over the place, chasing the puck, playing on my side, every move I made he was there trying to do something, so I couldn't do anything. The play that comes to mind the most is a 2 on 2 crossing the blueline and he (on the weak side) comes flying over to the puck carrier who's infront of me leaving the guy WIDE open in the slot and he got the pass and scored, not a chance for our goalie, not a chance for me.

Take this guy and multiply him and you have the majority of beer league players I've played with here in Norcal. I'm not sure but I think it has to do with the fact that most of them started in/still play a lot of roller. I end up playing so restrained and it's so taxing when I play with people like this. It's a big part of why I don't play much beer league anymore and prefer to play with my women's team because for gently caress's sake at least most of our players have some hockey sense. I'd rather play with a less skilled/slower player who knows what they need to be doing and is where they should be than these roller jagoffs with awesome hands and sick shots :hurr: anyday.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 2, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

^^^^^^^^^

Truth.

I've tried playing some C-league games with the guys, but I just can't hang. So many of them act like there's NHL scouts in the stands or it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, and it's just no fun. I'm told that it's better in the upper leagues, but I'll never be good enough to play with those guys anyway.

I've played three games in my women's league this season where we didn't even have a ref show up and we just did our thing and had no issues. There's no way in hell that a men's league game could play without a ref.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Take this guy and multiply him and you have the majority of beer league players I've played with here in Norcal. I'm not sure but I think it has to do with the fact that most of them started in/still play a lot of roller.

Yep.

The only cure for it is playing 4v4 with them on a rink that is so small it takes 3 strides to get back into position. Otherwise it is an exercise in frustration.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

Yep.

The only cure for it is playing 4v4 with them on a rink that is so small it takes 3 strides to get back into position. Otherwise it is an exercise in frustration.

All the ice here is regulation or bigger.

Hey also I'm in socal for the second half of december, any ice?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

All the ice here is regulation or bigger.

Hey also I'm in socal for the second half of december, any ice?

4v4 will be in playoffs/finals, no roster mods.

Might need a sub on the 16th in Torrance for a bronze level game that is loving terrible.

Late night open skates are an option, I'll try to find the holiday schedules.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

4v4 will be in playoffs/finals, no roster mods.

Might need a sub on the 16th in Torrance for a bronze level game that is loving terrible.

Late night open skates are an option, I'll try to find the holiday schedules.

I'm still deciding wether or not I'm flying back to Vancouver on/before the 16th to play in my own game, and get some skiing in before xmas, or just staying in LA.

I'd maybe feel a bit guilty subbing for a bronze team... Guess I could just hang back on D.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

I'm still deciding wether or not I'm flying back to Vancouver on/before the 16th to play in my own game, and get some skiing in before xmas, or just staying in LA.

I'd maybe feel a bit guilty subbing for a bronze team... Guess I could just hang back on D.

It's bad. I only play with the guys because I like em and every team has one line lovely enough to be bronze.

We were 4 short of having a silver b team. Anyways I'll keep you posted if I hear of any pickups.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Jesus Christ. Someone sent me the picture of the X-ray. Not only is it a clean break, but it looks like a big Y. Like there's a branch that goes UP the tibia. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
yeah, compressive + torquing forces can often do that. It's pretty neato.