Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

doomfunk posted:

Having played this on the PS3, adapting to the xbox controller is kind of... weird. :negative:

It's not all THAT different but if you are having Problems you can always use Motioninjoy to use your PS3 controller.

Also, while I was clearing out the area while waiting on jolly co-op THIS happened:

I don't know exactly HOW it happened, all I know is I riposted that one Silver Knight and he died while falling

It took a good few minutes to figure out how to pick that sucker up (turned out to be big arrows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

That rotating statue is probably a depiction of Velka herself.

Isn't that one of those mother and child statues? I thought those were symbols of Gwyn.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

redmercer posted:

It's not all THAT different but if you are having Problems you can always use Motioninjoy to use your PS3 controller.

Also, while I was clearing out the area while waiting on jolly co-op THIS happened:

I don't know exactly HOW it happened, all I know is I riposted that one Silver Knight and he died while falling

It took a good few minutes to figure out how to pick that sucker up (turned out to be big arrows)

It's good to know I'm not the only one doing co-op for that boss in that same outfit tonight. Only with a bastard sword instead of the baldur side sword.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Isn't that one of those mother and child statues? I thought those were symbols of Gwyn.

It's something else. It has something like the Painting Guardian's/Ciaran's headgear. The Painting Guardians were probably servants of velka a long time ago, along with being the Lord's Blades, the group Ciaran was a member of.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

redmercer posted:

Yeah, it's not all that different, it's just I spent so much time playing on PS3 that certain things were muscle memory there. It's not worse or anything, just different.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I just got summoned by a fellow dragon greatsword user, he then got invaded, the invader runs into the room, I wave slash him, he runs out of the room and black crystals out :laugh:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So I just beat Capra Demon and got into a sewer area. I've explored it, and have found a locked door next to a merchant guy. Is the key to the door somewhere in the sewers, or is it found somewhere else? (if the latter don't specify where, please)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

So I just beat Capra Demon and got into a sewer area. I've explored it, and have found a locked door next to a merchant guy. Is the key to the door somewhere in the sewers, or is it found somewhere else? (if the latter don't specify where, please)

It is in the sewers.

Specifically a powerful enemy who you will fight has it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It is in the sewers.

Specifically a powerful enemy who you will fight has it.

He's not too tough. As long as you don't fight him head-on, he's rather easy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Specifically, the video I posted (featuring my semi-hideous HUD that I've since modified to be less so) is the guy you get it from. Keep exploring the sewers, though, there's lots to do and lots of interesting things to kill you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hey I found a really sweet dragon skeleton today!

It killed the poo poo out of me when I approached

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

It's good to know I'm not the only one doing co-op for that boss in that same outfit tonight. Only with a bastard sword instead of the baldur side sword.
I'm rocking something close to the same outfit, only with the Zweihander and the Antiquated Gloves to feel pretty. Is the Crimson set just really good as far as light armor goes?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The crimson set is pretty drat good, yeah. Stylish too.

QuarkJets posted:

Hey I found a really sweet dragon skeleton today!

It killed the poo poo out of me when I approached

It's more like a dragon Zombie. Other dragon related enemies: Dragon butts. As in "a giant, walking, dragon butt just squashed me"

Aug 24, 2011

trucutru posted:

The crimson set is pretty drat good, yeah. Stylish too.

It's more like a dragon Zombie. Other dragon related enemies: Dragon butts. As in "a giant, walking, dragon butt just squashed me"

I hate those things.

They die to ~2 casts of Dark Bead though, but it's still scary when they rush you. And when they jump up in the air, I always run away because I never know where they're going to end up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gough's Greatbow is hilarious to use. Is there any remote possibility of making a decent build around it?

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 29, 2012

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Kaubocks posted:

Gough's Greatbow is hilarious to use. Is there any remote possibility of making a decent build around it?

http://mmdks.com/cj0 Use with dragon torso.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
THEORYCRAFTIN' TIME

Maxwell Adams posted:

I think the painted world is a prison. You find the full Velka set in there, and Velka is the goddess of sin. You also see a lot of crows and crow-harpies. That rotating statue is probably a depiction of Velka herself. Velka is all about punishing sin, and that place has loads of cage cubes that look like they've just been dropped from the sky. Priscilla probably went in there just to get away from the real world.
The part in bold is the most relevant part, in that there isn't much in the way of it. In fact, it's mostly the opposite - the Darkmoon Blades are in charge of punishing sin, and she just kind of keeps track of it. The only 100% representative we have for Velka is Oswald, who almost seems to relish in sin (It's only human!), and by absolving sin, he helps people get out from under the lens of Gwyndolin and the Blades. Think about the Book of the Guilty, too; the only other book is the list of Chaos Servants, so the Book of the Guilty is kind of like a big phonebook for other sinbros to find each other in that just happens to be of some use to the Blades. Velka is in charge of both the supportive and detractive sides of sin (indictments are her thing as well), but she seems to be in favor of her helping those in her domain rather than hindering them, which leads us to...

muike posted:

It's something else. It has something like the Painting Guardian's/Ciaran's headgear. The Painting Guardians were probably servants of velka a long time ago, along with being the Lord's Blades, the group Ciaran was a member of.
this being problematic. Namely, Velka's Rapier deals occult damage, and occult magic is listed as the antithesis to the gods and holy damage. Additionally, the doll refers to (presumably) Priscilla as an abomination, which in itself is kind of an 'affront to nature/the gods' thing. Given that Velka and her followers are probably in rivalry with Gwyn and his bros in the pantheon, having the painting as a giant prison to lock up said followers and anyone else they dislike under the watch of (a statue of) Gwynevere (on the other side of the building) would make sense. On that note, the Painting Guardians may definitely be some of the Lord's Blades, but they probably weren't aligned with Velka, and as such aren't protecting the painting itself, but are guarding whatever's in it from breaking out.

Speaking of prisons (which are naturally linked to Velka via sin), ravens/crows being her representative makes a lot of sense given their prevalence in the painting and basically nowhere else in the world. Consider how the doll shows up in your cell, presumably in the time between when you've left and come back (unless not seeing it is just a way of giving it to you later). The two most likely ways it could've gotten there would be another soldier dropping it in (unlikely, given the black knights overrunning the place and there being no real reason for someone dropping just it in) or the giant crow that goes back and forth between there all the time. If the crow is actually pretty smart and not just kind of an oversized bird doing it's thing, it may have just been leading you on so you could get into the Painted World and (hopefully) bust out some of the Velka followers (henceforth referred to as crowbros). If we take the undead in the painting to be dead crowbros, though, they just ended up going mad or they just don't mind hanging out with Priscilla.

Summary of :words:: Velka covers the documentation of sin but is more about spreading it than punishing it, and the painting is where her followers go as war/deicide criminals. Also followers of Velka should be called crowbros and there should be a crowbro faction in the next Souls game.

e: Oh! Also! Both Velka's Talisman and her rapier scale off Int rather than Faith. In addition to being an occult deity, she doesn't require her 'followers' (sinners) to have any real faith in her, just to be wily as hell (getting out of sin, indicting the innocent to distract from themselves, etc). This also helps with the crow/raven parallels, as ravens are real drat smart and often recognized as such.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 29, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Same outfit? Like, down to the Black Sorcerer gloves and Black Knight shield? Did that pig head drop for you in Undead Burg? I might have to pick a new look.

Like this guy. I thought he knew the score, he out-juked all the Crystal Golems... and then fell off like, a foot into the Crystal Cave

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

I need some build advice:

I'm planning on making a Ricard's + CMW build, but want to add on another level of awful by being able to cast Great Magic Barrier as well. I can come out with a pretty smooth 30 vit/end, 40 int, and an okay 3 attunement slots (14 Att) on top of the 20 dex I need for Ricard's and 24 faith for GMB. However, this leaves me with four points left over before SL100, so what should I do with them? My options:

- Put it in Int so I can cast Crystal Soul Spear. While this is a PvP build, I do really like PvEing, and this would help a lot. The +14 damage for CMW is a non-factor, CSS is all I'd really be in for.
- Put it in Faith so I can cast WotG, making me even more of a nuisance and letting me set up a good Ricard's combo as they're getting up.
- Put it in Vit for +93 health.
- Put it in End for +11 stamina (like that's really a measure of its practical effects but whatever).

Any advice? Definitely leaning toward Faith, but the Int for CSS is tempting.

e: I could also scrap it and go for a Darkmoon/Sunlight Blade build but I'm way burnt out on Faith and I have a gimmicky Faith/Dex archer anyway that I could work with.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 29, 2012

Aug 24, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Ricard's + CMW

Do you really need the 30 points in endurance? If you have a build link that you can provide here that would be really handy - unless you specifically need 30 points, you could knock that down to 26 and then have CSS and WotG, making you even more of a colossal dickcheese than you would with only one of them.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Make sure you measure out how many swings take off bits of endurance. It's one thing to have a bigger stamina bar but if you dump in an extra 2 points and it only gives you enough for half a swing, it isn't doing you much good. Ideally you want one roll + 2 swings worth for most weapons, or 3 rolls if you plan on doing the DLC. II don't remember the stamina usage per swing on that rapier but you could probably get more than 2 off after a roll.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

redmercer posted:

Same outfit? Like, down to the Black Sorcerer gloves and Black Knight shield? Did that pig head drop for you in Undead Burg? I might have to pick a new look.

Like this guy. I thought he knew the score, he out-juked all the Crystal Golems... and then fell off like, a foot into the Crystal Cave

I was using some silver knight gauntlets, but otherwise yeah. It dropped in Undead Burg, first time it actually dropped for me too.

Funny thing is, I was getting one bite every 45 minutes or so in that outfit, but as soon as I slapped on the Ornstein armor I got summoned within 5 minutes of dropping a sign every time. Same deal with the Lautrec armor.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I would drop your int to 36 (Soul Spear) and use 6 of your 8 points to get to 30 Faith. Drop the remaining two points into Attunement to get the fourth slot.

This would allow Great Magic Barrier, Wrath of the Gods, Sunlight Blade/Crystal Magic Weapon, and Soul Spear/Dark Bead ( I would recommend Dark Bead). You can even consider dropping the int a little more to fill in other stats you might want.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Do you really need the 30 points in endurance? If you have a build link that you can provide here that would be really handy - unless you specifically need 30 points, you could knock that down to 26 and then have CSS and WotG, making you even more of a colossal dickcheese than you would with only one of them.

Ooh, that's actually a really good idea, thank you! Plus there was some funniness with the math regarding starting with either thief or wanderer, but I need 10 strength for the Grass Crest Shield, and either way cutting endurance makes either viable. Doubled up with the Cloranthy ring like I was planning to do and it's not like the lower cap would matter anyway.

As for a build link, although it's not as useful now, here you go; the host for it has been crashing a lot and I couldn't access it when I made my post. Armor will be whatever looks coolest.

However, I've found a new problem; if I'm using the GCS, a catalyst, and a talisman, I can't WotG and use my shield at the same time unless I also want to lose the enchantment. Which is kind of a bummer, but Ricard's is still really fun anyway, and trading off damage for being even more of a douchebag is fair enough.

e:

Tykero posted:

I would drop your int to 36 (Soul Spear) and use 6 of your 8 points to get to 30 Faith. Drop the remaining two points into Attunement to get the fourth slot.

This would allow Great Magic Barrier, Wrath of the Gods, Sunlight Blade/Crystal Magic Weapon, and Soul Spear/Dark Bead ( I would recommend Dark Bead). You can even consider dropping the int a little more to fill in other stats you might want.
I forgot how much of a pain in the rear end Dark Bead is, but this actually solves my last problem; if I feel like using Wrath, I can ditch my shield and do that, but if not, Pursuers/Dark Bead. Thanks for that! :getin:

e2:

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Make sure you measure out how many swings take off bits of endurance. It's one thing to have a bigger stamina bar but if you dump in an extra 2 points and it only gives you enough for half a swing, it isn't doing you much good. Ideally you want one roll + 2 swings worth for most weapons, or 3 rolls if you plan on doing the DLC. II don't remember the stamina usage per swing on that rapier but you could probably get more than 2 off after a roll.
Yeah, I should play around on another character to see what combos I can pull off before I fully commit. I'm less concerned with proper swings than I am it's R2s, though, since that's the main gimmick; honestly, as long as I can get that second one in, if I run out of stamina I'd probably be fine, since it'll either be enough to kill them, stagger them, or put me in a position where I'm going to die anyway.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 29, 2012

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Which is the best rapier-type weapon in the game? Right now ricard's looks the fanciest but that's no guarentee that it rules.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Pve: Ricards with enchants, otherwise estoc.
Pvp: regular rapier.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Pvp: Ricard's rapier with DMB+3 while wearing Havel's.

Aug 24, 2011

Apparently if you start as a Thief you'll be able to get an extra soul level out of this, being 99 instead of 100.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

Pvp: regular rapier.

Ricard's Rapier is better in everything but an arguably negligible riposte damage difference. Ricard's has 20% greater range or thereabouts, slightly faster attack execution time, better scaling, and the R2 is vastly superior. Plus it looks far more boss.

Though if you're low-level PVP and are attempting to squeeze out every last possible soul level due to the 8 dexterity requirement difference, then I'd almost be willing to concede simply because the damage on the regular Rapier at +5 Lightning is slightly more.

Also, Estoc good in any context? Not really. The Estoc looks good on paper, but what nobody ever tells you is that it has a speed penalty. It is markedly slower than all other rapiers despite having a roughly identical moveset, though its range is great. The R2, while seeming fantatsic, is marred by the slow speed.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 29, 2012

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind.

*shoots fire and lightning and stabs*

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Actually the Estoc has a regular type swinging attack.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dragonwagon posted:

Actually the Estoc has a regular type swinging attack.

That's only for the R2. It's got it but it's slow. Amended the post, however. forgot to add "roughly" to the "identical" part.

Really all the Estoc's got over the other rapiers is the range, and it doesn't have it over Velka's.

Speaking of Velka's Rapier, it's underrated.

If you're an Int build and have no intention of using weapon buffs, Velka's is the best rapier because it combines the speed of Ricard's with the range of Estoc, which is not readily apparent from the stats. It looks bad on paper, but in that situation is the superior choice. Its R2 should have been the Estoc's R2 for the wide swing, but the 1-2 vertical swings plus followup stab are not that bad.

Velka's B scaling off of Intelligence may look inferior to an A scaling on Enchanted Ricard's, but Velka's has higher base magic damage so it edges out to be better, especially due to the range. If the dexterity requirement on Velka's was 12 instead of 16 you would never hear me stop talking about how great it is.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 29, 2012

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Apparently if you start as a Thief you'll be able to get an extra soul level out of this, being 99 instead of 100.

That's just a screwup with the builder; a lot of times if a stat is really low, even if you change it it'll change to whatever the default class' is when you select a new one. Switch back and forth again and see how strength drops down to 9 when you select Thief; I need it at 10, so either would work, but that's where it'd go.

It took me forever to notice there's a "select best class" option on the left; put in the stats you want and it'll figure it out for you without having to worry about it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Assuming I'm Dr Dex, do I want to take my ricards rapier to lightning or +15?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Assuming I'm Dr Dex, do I want to take my ricards rapier to lightning or +15?

How much dexterity are we talking? It's got A scaling and you can always apply a resin for extra elemental damage.

30 or more? Go for +15.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Tallgeese posted:

Ricard's Rapier is better in everything but an arguably negligible riposte damage difference. Ricard's has 20% greater range or thereabouts, slightly faster attack execution time, better scaling, and the R2 is vastly superior. Plus it looks far more boss.

Ricard's R2 attack is basically asking to be riposted.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Miss the parry because parrying in PVP is basically luck-based, enjoy dying as the R2-R2 chain staggers you with the second or third hit no matter what.

And deals a good 400 damage per hit.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Thanks for the rapier advice, ricard's is working out to be pretty boss. Although I had to swap out for my BSS on the sanctuary guardian cause for some reason it's just really friggin hard to hit him at all with the rapier.

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.
http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/
Here is a handy tool for planning out what weapons you want to use with your stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
So, Priscilla's been bothering me. We have a half-breed dragon/human that was banished to the Painted World because she supposedly is an abomination that can't be tolerated, right?

...So, why exactly is she rocking a scythe specifically called the Lifehunt Scythe?

The only other time we see a Life_____ thing is the Lifedrain of the Darkwraiths, although here it's implied that it isn't draining, but hunting, that she's doing. Why exactly is a half-breed dragon wielding a giant scythe meant to hunt out--and snuff out--life?

She's obviously very reminiscent of death, with that giant scythe, but instead of her being unlike Death in other ways, she's actually the opposite. She doesn't wear a black robe, she wears a white "gown". She doesn't hide her face, in fact she has nothing to possibly obscure her face. In appearance she seems to have every contrast to the traditional Grim Reaper, and still uses that Scythe.

She isn't there to guard the Painted World--you have to fight your way through the whole drat place just to find her. Then she lets you go, almost immediately. She's taken up residence as far away from the rest of the level as she can, she put a giant fuckoff dragon and several hollows + a Tower Knight between her and the middle collosseum-looking structure. You have to go through pretty much the entire area to go from where she is to where, say, the Velka set is kept. She's withdrawn as much as possible from the area.

How long ago did this "Curse" of Undead hit, again?

• Locked thread