Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I...literally never noticed that somehow.
I'm the serial port no one ever used.
I'm also the parallel port everyone used for a Gameshark to play backups. Until newer games defeated it somehow.

I used the serial port a handful of times. You could get a link cable and link 2 PSX systems together and play some games 2 player on separate TVs. Several games supported it but you had to have 2 copies of them (we tricked Destruction Derby in to working with one copy by letting one system load and then moving the disk to the other one).

It was not worth the time and effort needed to get all the poo poo together you needed to do this.

Simalarly, the PS2 had similar functionality using the Firewire port that early models had, before the network adapter was released. See the bottom of this page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

fatpat268 posted:

Yes, I have pms.

paypal is plc268@gmail.com

It'll likely go out in the mail tomorrow, as I'm heading to work in about an hour.

Just got home from work, payment has been sent. Thanks!

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Anybody happen to know why Sword Master for NES shot up in value in the last year? I assumed it was rare because it was 1992 release, but that chart in the link shows consistently low prices for earlier years.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Sexy Slippers posted:

Just got home from work, payment has been sent. Thanks!

Awesome, it'll be in the mail tomorrow.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Technowrite posted:

I'm in Texas this week for work, so I got a chance to drop in a local Game X Change. Prices were pretty good, and I'm excited I walked out with all this for $24.

Man, Bloodlines alone was worth that. Nice going! A loose copy of Bloodlines for less than $20 is my white whale.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I hate all you people who have retro game stores / Goodwills in non metropolitan areas. All the retro stores around here charge eBay prices, if not more. :( Curse you bay area!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

Anybody happen to know why Sword Master for NES shot up in value in the last year? I assumed it was rare because it was 1992 release, but that chart in the link shows consistently low prices for earlier years.

I first heard about the game earlier this year. I don't know what sparked the sudden interest but word of mouth is spreading I bet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

I used the serial port a handful of times. You could get a link cable and link 2 PSX systems together and play some games 2 player on separate TVs. Several games supported it but you had to have 2 copies of them (we tricked Destruction Derby in to working with one copy by letting one system load and then moving the disk to the other one).

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot! I used to play 2 player DooM on the PS1 all the time like that. Totally forgot it used the serial port.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Oh yeah, I'm an idiot! I used to play 2 player DooM on the PS1 all the time like that. Totally forgot it used the serial port.

Linked up Command and Conquer was a staple at my house. I even hacked up the serial cable and extended it by twenty or so feet so that we could play in different rooms. All so my cheating brother couldn't look at my screen and see where I set up my base or my sweet, sweet Tesla coils.:colbert:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I got a new lot in today! Amazingly, all of these are not only CIB, most of them I'd rate Mint - Near Mint as well. The only thing that's not in amazing condition is, ironically enough, the GBA itself which has a couple tiny scratches on the screen. Now guess what I paid (via eBay classifieds):

70€

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tobaccrow posted:

Beats me, it's a gigantic pile of poo poo. I used to have it as a kid and hated it.

edit: derp, I was thinking of Demon Sword, not Sword Master.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Quidnose posted:

I hate all you people who have retro game stores / Goodwills in non metropolitan areas. All the retro stores around here charge eBay prices, if not more. :( Curse you bay area!

I'm in Eastern Washington in a seriously non metropolitan area and there are zero good retro places. It's not just you, buddy :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, yeah, protip.

If you go to Ikea looking for a shelving unit to hold all your retro poo poo, MEASURE YOUR loving ATARI 5200 FIRST. I felt like a total goddamn moron earlier today trying to remember how big that thing is (way too big) while standing around in the store.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

Antillese posted:

Man, Bloodlines alone was worth that. Nice going! A loose copy of Bloodlines for less than $20 is my white whale.

They had it for $7.95, so I knew I wasn't leaving without it. Can't wait to get home and play it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Just got my Rakuten order/shipping confirmation email. Here's the damage:

Total item amount : \11350JPY

International Shipping : \14000JPY (We can send only EMS.)

Campain Discount :4000

Handling fee : \569JPY

point : 1400

Total amount billed : \20519JPY

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So... it really isn't worth it that much? I mean a discount is a discount, but that's pretty hefty. Your shipping is almost as much as the games even after the discount.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

So... it really isn't worth it that much? I mean a discount is a discount, but that's pretty hefty. Your shipping is almost as much as the games even after the discount.

Well, 14,000 yen for shipping according to their tables is up to 22.05lbs (10.0kg), according to the store's shipping rates.

Just how many CIB Saturns did you order HKR? It's okay, we won't tell anyone.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

iastudent posted:

Well, 14,000 yen for shipping according to their tables is up to 22.05lbs (10.0kg), according to the store's shipping rates.

Just how many CIB Saturns did you order HKR? It's okay, we won't tell anyone.

Just all this:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Keyboard Kid posted:

The dude over at http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/ has some pretty high-quality, thin plastic casing that you can use for cartridges and boxes. It's not airtight or waterproof or anything, if that's what you're looking for. I'm personally not a fan of the collector case stuff (uses too much space and I don't really care for silly boxes).

Thanks for the idea, but I really like the library/display aspect of the uvg. However, for my boxed games, I will totally get some of those. I been wondering how I was going to go about protecting my FF3 box. And eventually my ff2 and chrono triger boxes.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally rested the massive Trinitron I inherited, picture looks great so far, even with my bad model 2 Genesis!

Also, seeing all these Rakuten orders made me finally do a thing I thought of the first time I saw them...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the idea, but I really like the library/display aspect of the uvg. However, for my boxed games, I will totally get some of those. I been wondering how I was going to go about protecting my FF3 box. And eventually my ff2 and chrono triger boxes.

I'm gonna go on and say that boxes like these to protect your actual boxes is the best.

I feel safer stacking 20 CIB N64 games in a box for moving. Also, because of the plastic protector, it makes stuff look nicer on the shelf too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Well, Retro Goons, looks like it's about time we got our second emote.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Damnit, I was all ready to send out this paper for peer review :(

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So an odd question.

If you have a game like say, earthbound.. loose. And never really planned on playing it. But was not going to sell it. Would you remove the battery before shelving it for long periods of time?

Rather, I guess my real question is.. how prone are these batteries to leak/corrode over long periods of non use.

And I'm asking, cause there is a chance I just lucked into a copy of earthbound for a few xbox 360 games I'm never going to play again. If the trade goes through, it will be going straight into collection. I have 0 interest in the game. I didn't really care for it when I was younger. And I am really surprised at the value it gained over time.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

And never really planned on laying it.

You should always lay your games :quagmire:

Real answer: you should send it to someone with 100 interest in it.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zenintrude posted:

You should always lay your games :quagmire:

dammit, you beat me to the edit :P

My work keyboard has some weird key press issues. And I phantom type letters on it pretty regularly lol.

If it wasn't a stupidly costly game to obtain, I would. But it has insane value. So I'm going to toss it in my collection, and maybe my son will enjoy it when he is old enough. I would like to eventually have the entire SNES library in physical possession. But I know that is not going to happen, so I have to get what I can where I can when it comes to the expensive ones.

I'm going to start him off on the NES when he hits about 3, then upgrade him to the snes around 5. :D. Yes, I brewed my own personal gaming buddy since no one else wants to play old school games with me.

Besides.. It is only a really middling maybe that this trade will go through.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Old batteries will eventually leak and I've seen GameBoy/NES era games that had visible traces of battery acid on the inside of the cartridge. Someone entertained the idea of that acid eventually eating through the plastic (and the box) of all those neatly sealed VGA-rated mint copies of games in ten years' time but I don't know if that holds any merit. It would be funny as hell to see, though.

As for your question, if you want to be supersure, you might want to consider it. Then again, Earthbound's bubble is bound to pop at some point, the game's not even that good. I'd be surprised if it still sells for more than $100 in 2016.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Old batteries will eventually leak and I've seen GameBoy/NES era games that had visible traces of battery acid on the inside of the cartridge. Someone entertained the idea of that acid eventually eating through the plastic (and the box) of all those neatly sealed VGA-rated mint copies of games in ten years' time but I don't know if that holds any merit. It would be funny as hell to see, though.

As for your question, if you want to be supersure, you might want to consider it. Then again, Earthbound's inflation is bound to turn around at some point, the game's not even that good.

Yeah I was kinda thinking that might be the case. I might have to pull the bat's out of my square games as well since I have not played them in a couple years. I do revisit them once in a while. And would hate to boot them up one day to find the battery had a party with the PCB, and couldn't hold his tequila.

And on the value of EB. I'm not getting it hoping it will retain it's value, I'm just trying for it for collection completeness :D. I'm of the opinion that the cartridge based games really should not ever be worth more than maybe 50 dollars, unless there are like 10 in the entire world with no chance of a reproduction ever being made.

But honestly, I do think it will retain it's value. It's only going to get rarer as time goes on and units die to accident or just flat age. Unless the retro fad finally fades, and all the pricing returns to 6-10 years ago values.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2012

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Silhouette posted:

edit: derp, I was thinking of Demon Sword, not Sword Master.

You take that back.:saddowns: Demon Sword was awesome. What other game lets you be a ninja-like guy that can jump thousands of feet through the air and have a bad rear end sword that grows larger with every boss that you defeat until it's larger than you are?:colbert:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Katana Gomai posted:

As for your question, if you want to be supersure, you might want to consider it. Then again, Earthbound's bubble is bound to pop at some point, the game's not even that good. I'd be surprised if it still sells for more than $100 in 2016.

I recently played through it again, and... and... I dunno, I think it is good, I think it's definitely an interesting departure from the normal jrpg which was popular at the time, and it has a lot of charm... but it just wasn't totally engrossing to me. I blame this a lot on the fact I've played through it a bunch before so nothing was new to me, but... I dunno, it's a solid 7.5/8 out of 10. Definitely something to play if you like RPGs and have never played it, but I don't really plan to play it again, y'know?

... and yet, I could still plow through FF4/FF6, for the zillionth time, and enjoy them. v:shobon:v

The inventory is rather cramped [then again, I am one of "those", and hold onto everything I get in an RPG "just in case", though eventually I started actually using Escargo to hold my excess junk] and I always felt scared to use any PP outside of boss fights because it seemed so difficult to recharge it, and most of the bosses were absolute pushovers [who said the difficulty was a reverse of the norm, where Frank is the hardest boss then the rest are progressively easier? someone in here]. Regular enemy fights just got annoying after a while and I scrolled most of them to death, unless I needed to grind for some reason.

But, again, it was charming as heck and I did like the visual style, and major major kudos to APE/Nintendo for taking that kind of gamble. That game is a loooot different than the normal RPG of the time, I never really thought about it before. I wonder if they were nervous about releasing that in the American market?

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 29, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Kilazar posted:

But honestly, I do think it will retain it's value. It's only going to get rarer as time goes on and units die to accident or just flat age. Unless the retro fad finally fades, and all the pricing returns to 6-10 years ago values.

It might get rarer (there's still the theory of people holding enormous amounts of copies as an investment so those could end up increasing supply) but scarcity is not the only thing increasing price, especially not with games. It's a cult game now and might stay that way, or its following might latch onto something else and it might lose its standing. It could also (extremely long shot with Earthbound, granted) be re-released in some fashion which has crashed the price of other games. Or someone realized that no game is worth $300 and people just stop paying insane prices.

I'm willing to assume that Earthbound is more of a trend right now than anything and there are a ton of ways a trend like this can end. In a couple years' time, the whole SNES era might go out of style as the kids who grew up with the PS2/Xbox/GCN grow up, come into money and discover their flavor of nostalgia, while we old fart have amassed our collections and look at different systems. I think we're seeing this with the NES, where except for a few very, very rare exceptions, games got cheaper across the board in the last five years due to saturation of the market.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 29, 2012

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

HKR posted:

Just got my Rakuten order/shipping confirmation email. Here's the damage:

Total item amount : \11350JPY

International Shipping : \14000JPY (We can send only EMS.)

Campain Discount :4000

Handling fee : \569JPY

point : 1400

Total amount billed : \20519JPY

I purposefully set aside another $100 for shipping because I ordered a Family Trainer pad along with a few games. Now I'm wondering if that's going to be enough! I guess I'll find out. I wish they would send registered air mail it's fine for most things.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Got a package from the Great White North today. :canada:

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Kilazar posted:

dammit, you beat me to the edit :P

My work keyboard has some weird key press issues. And I phantom type letters on it pretty regularly lol.

If it wasn't a stupidly costly game to obtain, I would. But it has insane value. So I'm going to toss it in my collection, and maybe my son will enjoy it when he is old enough. I would like to eventually have the entire SNES library in physical possession. But I know that is not going to happen, so I have to get what I can where I can when it comes to the expensive ones.

I'm going to start him off on the NES when he hits about 3, then upgrade him to the snes around 5. :D. Yes, I brewed my own personal gaming buddy since no one else wants to play old school games with me.

Besides.. It is only a really middling maybe that this trade will go through.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don't remove the battery. Yea, sure there's a chance for leakage, but effort to remove and install the battery when you do want to finally play it, isn't exactly trivial. If you do want to go that route, have someone install a battery holder that lets you pop in and out a cr2032 easily without having to resort to soldering them in (or god forbid using electrical tape).

Also, as an aside, don't force retro gaming on your kids. Offer it up to them, but let them create their own nostalgia and memories of games. Imagine if you were a 90s kid forced to play stuff like 2600 games because that's what your dad enjoyed. (I'm using the word "forced" loosely here) Anyway, my point is, is that the playing of games should be experienced naturally, not on some kind of artificial time scale.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ordered my Santee their gifts, now to wait for them to arrive... may have overpaid a bit for things, but that's the rub when you're looking to get stuff in a time crunch.

[edit] Also, can I suggest that next time we don't use Elfster or don't encourage making request lists? At least for me, it feels like I'm going to disappoint someone if I don't get them things off of their wish list... I'd much rather people compile collection lists and we can use our retro knowledge to break them down and gift them things that they may not have even thought they'd love based on their tastes.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 29, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

Ordered my Santee their gifts, now to wait for them to arrive... may have overpaid a bit for things, but that's the rub when you're looking to get stuff in a time crunch.

[edit] Also, can I suggest that next time we don't use Elfster or don't encourage making request lists? At least for me, it feels like I'm going to disappoint someone if I don't get them things off of their wish list... I'd much rather people compile collection lists and we can use our retro knowledge to break them down and gift them things that they may not have even thought they'd love based on their tastes.

Yeah I like surprises, too. Maybe next time we can just make sure we list our collection so the Santee does not buy you a duplicate but gets to surprise you at the same time.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

zenintrude posted:

From what I see, many people already have their collections listed on third party sites; but fundamentally I agree.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Agreed as well! I'm so worried I'll ruin Christmas :smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Yeah, I intended for my wish list to be more of a general idea of things I'd probably like. I like surprises, I really do.

Just putting that for my SS out there. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

zenintrude posted:

My Santa asked me to add things to my wish list so I just added some random games I would like but I'll take whatever I get! If I already have it then it's my fault for not putting a list together (which I still need to do!) so yeah I think we're all an easy to please bunch. At least I hope so!

Also I don't want to spoil what I got for my santee but I really hope the box in the picture matches what I ordered.

Michael Carnage fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 29, 2012

• Locked thread