Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

This isn't "PYF bad fanart". :colbert:

Thomas Beatie, a trans man who made headlines four years ago for giving birth whilst still having functioning reproductive organs. He's since had a phalloplasty and is considering a hysterectomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In Tirana, Albanians celebrate the 100th anniversary of their country's independence with a 550mē cake.

e: One more:

A flag seamstress in Rangoon, Burma.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 29, 2012

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know... the extra $50-$70 monthly premium you pay for the iPhone service and data plan would go a long way towards food consumption, and you can have a much less expensive one with similar functionality.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I don't know... the extra $50-$70 monthly premium you pay for the iPhone service and data plan would go a long way towards food consumption, and you can have a much less expensive one with similar functionality.

I know people that use their smartphone as their only internet connection. This saves the money of having a cable/internet and phone bill.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

TinTower posted:

This isn't "PYF bad fanart". :colbert:

Thomas Beatie, a trans man who made headlines four years ago for giving birth whilst still having functioning reproductive organs. He's since had a phalloplasty and is considering a hysterectomy.

She had a uterus and vagina when she gave birth though, so...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Frosted Flake posted:

That's "he" to you. Unless you regularly inspect a person's genitalia before deciding which set of pronouns to use, in which case go for it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think a person's ability to carry and deliver a child is a pretty strong indicator of sex, genital inspection notwithstanding.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh poo poo right I forgot that infertile women are actually men. My bad, you win.

This is the trans flag flying over the Castro in San Francisco this past 11/20, the Transgender Day of Remembrance. It is the first time it has ever been raised there.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Frosted Flake posted:

I think a person's ability to carry and deliver a child is a pretty strong indicator of sex, genital inspection notwithstanding.

Sex is sex and gender is gender. You refer to a person by their gender identity, not their sex or biological functions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's okay, I forgot that transmen* are biologically female.

*e: As in men who were born female, and then carried and delivered a baby as only a female can do. Gender ≠ Sex though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Leveson Report is out today! Leveson is very critical of how the papers treats minorities, including trans people...:

Leveson Report, F6.8.27 posted:

Within the category “trans as deviant and deserving of parody”, TMW highlighted The Sun’s ‘Tran or Woman’ quiz, where readers were provided with a series of photographs and asked to guess whether the subject was transgender or not. It further highlighted a tendency for the tabloid press to use comedic, demeaning or ridiculing language in stories about transgender people. Examples were The Sun’s use of genital-based puns in the headlines ‘Dad of two driver changes gear in sex swap’, and The Scottish Sun’s ‘Sex swap mechanic goes nuts at medics’ or the use of derogatory words such as “tranny”. In respect of the Daily Mail, TMW noted its tendency to report on transgender people as though the category were false or unreal: it frequently used inverted commas around the words ‘transgender people’, and referred to transgender women as “men” and transgender men as “women”.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 29, 2012

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Frosted Flake posted:

That's okay, I forgot that transmen are biologically female.

They are though? At least some of them anyway. I have a trans guy friend named Nick who hasn't started hormones yet, so should I go against his wishes and call him a girl? Similarly I'm a trans woman who's been on hormones for just about exactly 11 months, but I still usually present as a guy for personal safety reasons. What pronouns should you use on me? If I meet someone like Lana Wachowski or Laura Jane Grace or Chaz Bono, have they sufficiently transitioned enough for me to call them the way they want to be treated? At what point does a trans person cease being one sex and become the other? Who gets to decide? Are you the Grand Arbiter of Gender and should I always ask for your judgment on these matters?

This is David Reimer. Although born biologically male, he was raised as a girl following a botched circumcision that left him without a penis. He was experimented on by psychologists to determine whether or not gender is learned at childhood, including being forced to have simulated sex with his brother. He later learned the truth about his condition and began living as a man. In 2004, at the age of 38, he killed himself with a sawed-off shotgun.

Tell me, what pronouns should I have used for him?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quiggy posted:

Tell me, what pronouns should I have used for him?

The ones he preferred. It really can be as simple as asking and being polite.

This the guy whose theories about gender lead him to experiment on Reimer.

This is the guy who did the follow up study years later and exposed the horrible poo poo that happened to Reimer.

These two men have been a fist fight.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 29, 2012

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Don't think this has been posted yet:

This graph supposedly suggests the Iranians are working on nuclear weapons. It was provided to the AP by an unknown country (yes, a whole country), and no one has any idea who this country might be. Note how the Iranians helpfully labeled the graph in English just in case it fell into the hands of their American enemies.

Anyway, this article does a pretty good job tearing apart the supposed evidence.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

The ones he preferred. It really can be as simple as asking and being polite.

It's a rhetorical question. :ssh:

Also, post a picture.

Like Nadia Almada before him, Big Brother contestant Luke Anderson was the subject of transphobic jokes in the press. And like Nadia Almada before him, he also won the edition of the show he was in. Poor treatment of trans issues is criticised in the Leveson Report.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 29, 2012

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

quiggy posted:

Oh poo poo right I forgot that infertile women are actually men. My bad, you win.

This is the trans flag flying over the Castro in San Francisco this past 11/20, the Transgender Day of Remembrance. It is the first time it has ever been raised there.
This makes me think: Sometimes people seem to get pissed about minorities having their own flags. The granddaddy of them all is the Pan-African flag; I know I've heard shitheads saying "If black people are REAL AMERICANS, why do they need to have their own flag?!" These are often people with rebel flag bumperstickers.

But why indeed? Well,

"Every Race Has a Flag but the Coon" was one of the most popular songs in the country around the turn of the century. Among other things, it helped solidify the usage of the word "coon" as a slur against black people.

quote:

The leader of the Blackville Club arose last Labor night
And said, “When we were on parade today
I really felt so much ashamed, I wished I could turn white
‘Cause all the white folks march’d with banners gay

Just at de stand de German band
They waved their flag and played ‘De Wacht am Rhine’
The Scotch Brigade each man arrayed
In new plaid dresses marched to ‘Auld Lang Syne’
Even Spaniards and Sweeds, folks of all kinds and creeds
Had their banner except de coon alone
Ev’ry nation can brag ‘bout some kind of a flag
Why can’t we get an emblem of our own?”

Chorus:
For Ireland has her Harp and Shamrock
England floats her Lion bold
Even China waves a Dragon
Germany an Eagle gold
Bonny Scotland loves a Thistle
Turkey has her Crescent Moon
And what won’t Yankees do for their Red, White and Blue
Every race has a flag but the coon

He says, “Now I’ll suggest a flag that ought to win a prize
Just take a flannel shirt and paint it red
They draw a chicken on it with two poker dice for eyes
An’ have it wavin’ razors ‘round its head

To make it quaint, you’ve got to paint
A possum with a pork chop in his teeth
To give it tone, a big hambone
You sketch upon a banjo underneath
And be sure not to skip just a policy slip
Have it marked four eleven forty four
Then them Irish and Dutch, they can’t guy us so much
We should have had this emblem long before”

Repeat Chorus

Charming. It was this that inspired the Universal Negro Improvement Association to later create the Pan-African flag. As Marcus Garvey said, "Show me the race or the nation without a flag, and I will show you a race of people without any pride. Aye! In song and mimicry they have said, 'Every race has a flag but the coon.' How true! Aye! But that was said of us four years ago. They can't say it now."

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quiggy posted:

That's "he" to you. Unless you regularly inspect a person's genitalia before deciding which set of pronouns to use, in which case go for it.

I decide based on how a woman looks and behaves, and she looks like a woman, and has given birth.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

SombreroAgnew posted:

This makes me think: Sometimes people seem to get pissed about minorities having their own flags. The granddaddy of them all is the Pan-African flag; I know I've heard shitheads saying "If black people are REAL AMERICANS, why do they need to have their own flag?!" These are often people with rebel flag bumperstickers.

Transethnics need a flag, guys. Guys. Oh-knee-guys~

(Yes, "transethnicity" is as transphobic and as racist as you'd think).

There is no transethnic flag, but someone's made an otherkin flag.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
^^^
They put a paw on the transgender flag. Of course they did.

nubdestoryer posted:

I decide based on how a woman looks and behaves, and she looks like a woman, and has given birth.

The person who gave birth was Asian. You know, dude with a goatee???

This is a compilation of pictures of Nong Toom, a Muay Thai boxer from Thailand.

This is a poster from the film they made of her life from 2003

She's a kathoey who started kickboxing to support her parents and to pay for her transition.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

nubdestoryer posted:

Hey cool it's a dumb rear end troll post

a false fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 29, 2012

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Frosted Flake posted:

A lot of Civil War generals liked being photographed with their hands in their shirts. I wonder if they were consciously or unconsciously trying to ape Napoleon's famous pose.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

nubdestoryer posted:

This is Thomas Beatie.

Yup, sure looks like a woman to me :rolleyes:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Action Jacktion posted:

Don't think this has been posted yet:

This graph supposedly suggests the Iranians are working on nuclear weapons. It was provided to the AP by an unknown country (yes, a whole country), and no one has any idea who this country might be. Note how the Iranians helpfully labeled the graph in English just in case it fell into the hands of their American enemies.

Anyway, this article does a pretty good job tearing apart the supposed evidence.

*Opens an Iranian Thermodynamics book...*

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

It came from reddit :smith:

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?

Joe Biden buyin' pies at Costco today

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 29, 2012

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quiggy posted:

This is Thomas Beatie.

Yup, sure looks like a woman to me :rolleyes:

Oh, I figured we were talking about the person on the left.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Fractal Cat
Jun 25, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

I love how no explanation is given to as why Canada wants to vote against Palestine. Why just "support Israel" for no given reason?

I like to think that the rest of the world is still confused to what happened to Canadian foreign policy over the past 6 years or so, because the actions of the Canadian government sure do depress me. :(

Pictured: What Canada does for money.

PS transphobe(s): You aren't being witty. Making hateful comments directed at trans* people is at best tiresome, as we've heard it all before.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Fractal Cat posted:

Pictured: What Canada does for money.

That picture makes me sad and angry at the same time. Pictures of mountain top removal give me the same feeling.

Here's a nice picture of the diversity of the incoming 113th congress.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 29, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tastethehappy posted:

Joe Biden buyin' pies at Costco today

Pie choosing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bieber got the Queen's Jubilee medal.

Granted, his came out of the allotment for civilians, but only a handful of men in my regiment got them, passing over a lot of skilled combat veterans.

e: tables

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Maybe I'm seeing things here, but I thought that this target (on sale locally) has a Zombie who resembles someone in American politics. Guess who?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Crasscrab posted:

Pie choosing.

Joe Biden, champion of the middle class, sticks with his gold card, won't even get an executive membership.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You've seriously got ONE atheist? :stare:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Frosted Flake posted:

Bieber got the Queen's Jubilee medal.

Granted, his came out of the allotment for civilians, but only a handful of men in my regiment got them, passing over a lot of skilled combat veterans.

e: tables

Odd, I think I've seen that picture on this forum before. Oh, yeah, that's right, in everyone of the last 20 loving pages. At least try to be original.

Have some great RMR criticism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMBMcMf85ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DsJ8IhWO7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU7dDruEWJE

And Probably the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Y7qpiu2RQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Fractal Cat posted:

PS transphobe(s): You aren't being witty. Making hateful comments directed at trans* people is at best tiresome, as we've heard it all before.

What's the point of putting "*" at the end of trans?

• Locked thread