Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

It is fast becoming the same type of tinfoil nonsense that is no easier to debunk than chemtrails, FEMA camps, or a lot of the witch hunt stuff the Republicans went after Clinton on.

And when Benghazi finally gets played out, they'll find some new scandal to pin on Obama. As they say, you can't reason some one out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. Obama is a murderous Islamo-Stalin-Hitler^3 and they'll just latch on to what ever is the next "proof" of that.

I secretly hope that Obama has been collecting information on everyone who has been saying all this poo poo and then will release all of the info and just drop a bomb on the whole loving GOP. It would be so nice to just see them get their just deserts for the nearly decade of abuse he'll have had to put up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Doctor Butts posted:

Well, people have been unironically using using the term 'bootstraps' for a very long time.

The phrase bootstraps is older than you, and older than Ayn Rand. People have been using it since boots actually had straps. Heck, the term Booting (your computer) is derived from bootstrapping.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Soap Bat Derby posted:

The phrase bootstraps is older than you, and older than Ayn Rand. People have been using it since boots actually had straps. Heck, the term Booting (your computer) is derived from bootstrapping.

I wish they would start using the phrase "ponytailing" instead.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 29, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Literally pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is impossible, which is the entire point of the phrase. It's supposed to be patently ridiculous. Modern conservatives miss this and think it's something that you can and should do.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

PeterWeller posted:

Literally pulling yourself up by your bootstraps is impossible, which is the entire point of the phrase. It's supposed to be patently ridiculous. Modern conservatives miss this and think it's something that you can and should do.

It was never meant to be literal, it was always meant to imply unironically what we use it for ironically: "gently caress you, do it yourself, cause I ain't gonna help you". Accomplishing the impossible without any help has always been its meaning, it's only lately that such sentiments are mocked for the tripe they are.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

With respect to Benghazi-gate, it would be necessary to know what is actually being alleged amidst all the sound and fury.

Is it

-Obama didn't secure our embassy/consulate
-He watched from his throne of skulls while brave Americans died, and personally prevented troops from going to help, perhaps he even personally shot them
-He didn't KNOW it was a terrorist attack for almost two weeks
-He KNEW it was a terrorist attack for almost two weeks but LIED to the American public. Why, Obama, why did you lie to us?

Let's see what we've got for Obama Administration scandals so far.

-Fast and Furious
-Van Jones something something
-New Black Panther-gate. Holder won't investigate any of HIS PEOPLE
-Benghazi-gate

All trumped up Fox News BS compared to real policy issues where there are legitimate grounds for critique.

Am I missing any?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

What are you talking about? Every morning, I get up, put on my boots, walk outside, and fly to campus by pulling on my boostraps as hard as I can until I levitate to a cruising altitude.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

llama_arse posted:

Some clown put on :foxnews: while I was in the gym today. I was wearing headphones so I couldn't hear the audio, which made what I saw a bit surreal. On Cavuto, he showed Obama at a press conference with a quote from the president in text below saying "the middle class can't afford a tax hike right now." Then they interviewed two small business owners, with the text below saying "middle class Americans respond to President's tax hike plan" or something. How completely sucked into the hivemind does one have to be to not see such a bald-faced lie?

It's all part of the "millionaires = small businesses" narrative the right has been trying to push for, like, forever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Zwabu posted:

With respect to Benghazi-gate, it would be necessary to know what is actually being alleged amidst all the sound and fury.

Is it

-He watched from his throne of skulls while brave Americans died, and personally prevented troops from going to help, perhaps he even personally shot them
-He KNEW it was a terrorist attack for almost two weeks but LIED to the American public. Why, Obama, why did you lie to us?

-Fast and Furious
-Benghazi-gate

All trumped up Fox News BS compared to real policy issues where there are legitimate grounds for critique.

Am I missing any?

I mean, I think that the whole Fast & Furious operation was stupid and a pretty big black eye to the whole government. The rest of it is all pretty blown up and I also have no idea about Benghazi, but I would say that Fast & Furious was sort of a big deal.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Ramadu posted:

I mean, I think that the whole Fast & Furious operation was stupid and a pretty big black eye to the whole government. The rest of it is all pretty blown up and I also have no idea about Benghazi, but I would say that Fast & Furious was sort of a big deal.

Benghazi is only a big deal to Republicans, who somehow think Obama had the ability to A)send troops in to save Vilerat and the others like he was sending in a Star Trek away team via transporter, and B)simultaneously cast "magic missile" (except there'd be a whole bunch of 'em, and they would only hit the bad guys and completely avoid the good guys).

It's all smoke and mirrors for John McCain to both position himself as the de facto head of the Republican party and also to pressure Obama to give up on nominating Susan Rice to replace Hillary, and instead nominate John Kerry. Which would conveniently free up a Senate seat that they are convinced Scott Brown would just slide right on into.

(they also conveniently ignore how Republicans in Congress refused to approve the funds needed to provide additional security for consulate/embassy staff in Libya :ssh:)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Benghazi is only a big deal to Republicans, who somehow think Obama had the ability to A)send troops in to save Vilerat and the others like he was sending in a Star Trek away team via transporter, and B)simultaneously cast "magic missile" (except there'd be a whole bunch of 'em, and they would only hit the bad guys and completely avoid the good guys).

It's all smoke and mirrors for John McCain to both position himself as the de facto head of the Republican party and also to pressure Obama to give up on nominating Susan Rice to replace Hillary, and instead nominate John Kerry. Which would conveniently free up a Senate seat that they are convinced Scott Brown would just slide right on into.

(they also conveniently ignore how Republicans in Congress refused to approve the funds needed to provide additional security for consulate/embassy staff in Libya :ssh:)

They also somehow believe that Aircraft carrying reinforcements suddenly exceed the speed of light whenever the president wills it.

Oh, and that AC-130s are perfect solution for a crowded neighborhood.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

CommieGIR posted:

They also somehow believe that Aircraft carrying reinforcements suddenly exceed the speed of light whenever the president wills it.

I've mentioned it before, but you know the Fox/Drudge/Rush Kool-Aid is pretty strong when people I served with in the military were making these sorts of claims, and acting like the military is just a bigger-budgeted SWAT team, and generally completely forgetting how slow-moving any military force (short of a small rapid response team, which would had to have already been on high alert prior to the incident) generally is in responding to anything outside of a direct attack on the force itself. To say nothing of the massive casualties that would have been inflicted on both military and civilians by troops and/or missiles getting flung into a zone where we had zero intelligence available.

But no, numerous FB friends of mine acted like the USAF, USMC, Navy SEALs, and Green Berets could all be teleported in at will, like Space Marines in a particularly tough game of Warhammer 40,000. :rolleyes:

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

i'm sure if you asked them directly they would unashamedly say they would rather an AC-130 flatten 100 civilians to save 4 americans than let those americans die. These people are proud of giving no fucks about anybodies lives but americans.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Zwabu posted:

Is it

-Fast and Furious
-Benghazi-gate

Am I missing any?

You forgot solyndra.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Soap Bat Derby posted:

It was never meant to be literal, it was always meant to imply unironically what we use it for ironically: "gently caress you, do it yourself, cause I ain't gonna help you". Accomplishing the impossible without any help has always been its meaning, it's only lately that such sentiments are mocked for the tripe they are.

No poo poo it wasn't meant literally. But you have it backwards. It originally was a sarcastic term lampooning the "gently caress you, do it yourself" attitude by correctly pointing out that doing so was as impossible as pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps. Only in more recent times has it turned into this folksy unironic phrase for accomplishing the difficult.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Branis posted:

i'm sure if you asked them directly they would unashamedly say they would rather an AC-130 flatten 100 civilians to save 4 americans than let those americans die. These people are proud of giving no fucks about anybodies lives but americans.

Oh I know, but then I just point out as a member of the military how stupid I think their idea is, because they fail to recognize they are firing on mixed forces and the gunship has no way of identifying friend from foe, including men from the compound.

It would be a terrible tactical blunder.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've mentioned it before, but you know the Fox/Drudge/Rush Kool-Aid is pretty strong when people I served with in the military were making these sorts of claims, and acting like the military is just a bigger-budgeted SWAT team, and generally completely forgetting how slow-moving any military force (short of a small rapid response team, which would had to have already been on high alert prior to the incident) generally is in responding to anything outside of a direct attack on the force itself. To say nothing of the massive casualties that would have been inflicted on both military and civilians by troops and/or missiles getting flung into a zone where we had zero intelligence available.

But no, numerous FB friends of mine acted like the USAF, USMC, Navy SEALs, and Green Berets could all be teleported in at will, like Space Marines in a particularly tough game of Warhammer 40,000. :rolleyes:

But...they'd do it in the Emperor's name :ohdear:

But yes, there are multiple people I personally know in my USAF service who think that Obama could just wave some magic wand and make reinforcements teleport in. Why? Because Fox News said so!

I'd point out that if that were true, we'd never lose any battle ever, but it was already decided at the tactical level that gunships were out AND reinforcements WERE on the way, but it still takes TIME for them to get there.

You figure half these people would be more aware of the tactical implications of battle, but they think with their hearts and emotions and not logic.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 29, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Branis posted:

Correction; they only give a gently caress if the Americans die under a Democrat president, which is the most horrible tragedy known to man and grounds for impeachment and treason of every single Democrat in elected office, the president's cabinet, etc.

If it happens under a Republican president? "They were brave souls who knew the risks when they took the job. It's a tragedy but we must all come together and support ARE TROOPS and ARE PRESIDENT." :patriot:

CommieGIR posted:

But yes, there are multiple people I personally know in my USAF service who think that Obama could just wave some magic wand and make reinforcements teleport in. Why? Because Fox News said so!

I'd point out that if that were true, we'd never lose any battle ever, but it was already decided at the tactical level that gunships were out AND reinforcements WERE on the way, but it still takes TIME for them to get there.

You figure half these people would be more aware of the tactical implications of battle, but they think with their hearts and emotions and not logic.

And for the reasons I stated above, 99.9% of them wouldn't say a goddamn word about these magical Super Troops/Planes if it happened under a Republican president, other than "it's a tragedy, but don't worry, ARE BOYS will wipe <insert offending country here> off the face of the map!" :clint:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 29, 2012

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zwabu posted:

Am I missing any?

Birth Certificate, Larry Sinclair/gay sex, college transcripts, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, bowing to the Saudis, ACORN, Bin Laden's burial at sea (cover up/he's still alive), voter fraud, free phones, assassinating Andrew Breitbart, Sharia law, false flag shooting massacres, being sworn in under the Quran, falsifying his SS#, FEMA camps...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And for the reasons I stated above, 99.9% of them wouldn't say a goddamn word about these magical Super Troops/Planes if it happened under a Republican president, other than "it's a tragedy, but don't worry, ARE BOYS will wipe <insert offending country here> off the face of the map!" :clint:

:doh: So many people I know called for invasion of Libya after the attack, I just had to sit there and shake my head.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

CommieGIR posted:

:doh: So many people I know called for invasion of Libya after the attack, I just had to sit there and shake my head.

You know it was bad when I found myself agreeing with goddamn Charles Krauthammer of all people, when he said that pulling all resources out/bombing the poo poo out of Libya was a bad idea, because then it'd just create a vacuum that would eagerly be filled by jihadists/Iran/China/Russia/insert geopolitical foe here.

I also found it particularly ironic considering that many of these same people initially pitched a bitch when Obama got NATO to provide support to the Libyan rebels, claiming he was going to get us into yet another war. :rolleyes:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

You know it was bad when I found myself agreeing with goddamn Charles Krauthammer of all people, when he said that pulling all resources out/bombing the poo poo out of Libya was a bad idea, because then it'd just create a vacuum that would eagerly be filled by jihadists/Iran/China/Russia/insert geopolitical foe here.

I also found it particularly ironic considering that many of these same people initially pitched a bitch when Obama got NATO to provide support to the Libyan rebels, claiming he was going to get us into yet another war. :rolleyes:

Well its fun too, especially when shortly after the attack Fox News front page was the picture of Ambassador Stevens supposedly being drug through the streets....

Nowhere did they mention was it to drag him to a damned hospital.

I think if Stevens were still alive, he'd be chewing Fox News and its ilk a new one, but since he died he is just an unwanted martyr for their lackluster and foolish causes.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sydney Bottocks posted:

But also why is he not getting us into yet another war by using the I/P conflict as a gateway to attack Iran? COWARDICE!

The amount of double-speak the right is capable of is not mind blowing, it's terrifying.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
This is, without any irony or hyperbole, what conservatives think happened at Benghazi:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goatman Sacks posted:

This is, without any irony or hyperbole, what conservatives think happened at Benghazi:

Am...am I Simba? :aaa:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

I see that there. posted:

The amount of double-speak the right is capable of is not mind blowing, it's terrifying.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: though we're all guilty of it to some degree, the levels of cognitive dissonance required to go through daily life as a conservative must be staggering. :v:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Warchicken posted:

:mufasa:: Yes my son.

BiggerBoat posted:

Birth Certificate, Larry Sinclair/gay sex, college transcripts, Rev. Wright, Bill Ayers, bowing to the Saudis, ACORN, Bin Laden's burial at sea (cover up/he's still alive), voter fraud, free phones, assassinating Andrew Breitbart, Sharia law, false flag shooting massacres, being sworn in under the Quran, falsifying his SS#, FEMA camps...

And any sort of legitimate scandal just kinda looks the same as all the fake ones. They're attempts to delegitimize obama actually strengthens him, in a way.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Since joining the military and learning quite a bit about the caps/lims of various platforms - I am absolutely stunned at what the American military can do. I'm even more stunned at what the American people think the American military can do.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

:mufasa:: Yes my son.

And any sort of legitimate scandal just kinda looks the same as all the fake ones. They're attempts to delegitimize obama actually strengthens him, in a way.

I was thinking the same thing. I realized that if Obama were involved in a real scandal, I'd be likely to dismiss it as bullshit just because of the sheer volume of fake ones he's been accused of. Just like the fable about the boy who cried wolf.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Warchicken posted:

I'm the Rhino sitting on Zazu.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The guys hyping this as a scandal at least know their audience well enough to know they are fine with the idea of liquidating Benghazi over the death of a few Americans. Because that is where this line of thought and many of the "asking questions" leads to. Obama probably did have the ability to drop high explosives on Benghazi neighborhoods with a couple hours notice.

And not nuking Benghazi from orbit is the as doing nothing.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
According to Bill O'Reilly, Christianity is no longer a religion, and therefore not subject to the normal problem of church/state separation.

It's a... get ready for this... philosophy.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/28/oreilly-bashes-fascist-atheist-christianity-not-a-religion-so-christmas-displays-are-ok/

I have no idea why Silverman's head didn't explode.

"Are you kidding me, Bill? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Walter posted:

According to Bill O'Reilly, Christianity is no longer a religion, and therefore not subject to the normal problem of church/state separation.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/28/oreilly-bashes-fascist-atheist-christianity-not-a-religion-so-christmas-displays-are-ok/

That's gotta be a new level of crazy.

Though I'll grant his point that the christmas tree is not an (exclusively) Christian symbol. You can make a decent argument that it's either pagan, Asatru, or secular, just like Santa Claus.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Walter posted:

Yo can someone put a Jupiter-sized ironicat on one of those ubiquitous "Islam is not a religion" rants.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If only there was a term for a system of moral philosophy based around the principle of divinity.

We could call it... I dunno... Theology or something.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Though I'll grant his point that the christmas tree is not an (exclusively) Christian symbol. You can make a decent argument that it's either pagan, Asatru, or secular, just like Santa Claus.

The Kaaba's not "exclusively" an Islamic symbol either, under those designations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Walter posted:

Oh really? I suppose that means we should also take away Christian church's tax-exempt status, then?

:frogsiren:BILL O'REILLY, NOTED SUPPORTER OF TAXING THE CHURCH:frogsiren:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Ramadu posted:

I secretly hope that Obama has been collecting information on everyone who has been saying all this poo poo and then will release all of the info and just drop a bomb on the whole loving GOP. It would be so nice to just see them get their just deserts for the nearly decade of abuse he'll have had to put up with.

I really hope that, after his term is done, and he's going into a well deserved retirement after putting up with this bullshit, his final words to America as President will be: "Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to all of you who supported me; And to the Birthers, Benghazi freaks, chair-lynchers, and all you other paranoid, racist shitheads, Go gently caress yourselves."

I disagree with Obama on a bunch of issues, but Jesus Christ he's the goddamn POTUS. That affords a certain amount of civility, at the very least.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 29, 2012

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

If only there was a term for a system of moral philosophy based around the principle of divinity.

We could call it... I dunno... Theology or something.

I just... I cannot imagine the sheer mind-boggling amount of effort it must have taken for O'Reilly to make that argument with a straight face. The guy is not an idiot, he knew what he was saying was the biggest line of horseshit possible, and he just continued to make that same argument.

How is there a single viewer among the Fox News audience that doesn't say, "What?" to that? Are there actually people out there who listen to that and say, "Yeah, he's right. It's not a religion at all, it's a philosophy. Whoops, off to church!"

And to make the argument that "Christianity" is not a religion, but "Catholicism" or "Methodism" are religions... it's just unbelievable to me.

The logical response would have been, "Okay Bill, so then Islam is a philosophy, but Sunni and Shiite represent religions within the Islamic philosophy, then?" It's too bad Silverman didn't argue that. I would have loved to see Bill try to weasel his way out of that.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
O'Reilly said that because there is a stupid evangelical movement right now that says that Christianity isn't a religion and Jesus was actually anti-religion. Obviously it is just used as a lovely way to attract young people but it is reasonably wide spread, plenty of people on my facebook friends have some variation of "No religion. Just Jesus" under their religion. Obviously its complete bullshit since at the same time they would consider someone who actually practices what they preach and claims to actually have no religion without some sort of asterisk to be an atheist.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

I figured it probably had to be something like that, but the mental gymnastics involved in convincing yourself that the social institution to which you belong - which just happens to be organized solely around belief in a deity and his immortal son / messiah / savior of humanity - is not classifiable as a religion.

That is one of the most nonsensical arguments / excuses I've ever heard, and anyone who offers it in serious conversation should immediately be met with an impenetrable wall of derisive laughter.