Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Are UK pc players just buying a physical copy (no mentions of steam)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This game loving rules. I don't know what the hell those doom and gloom benchmark tests posted earlier were all about but on my i5 2500k with 16gb of RAM and a 560ti this game runs like loving butter with just about everything cranked up to the max.

And having McLovin be in the promo videos is pretty much spot on for your character. He's a complete turd in pretty much every way which would bother me I guess if I really cared about a Far Cry game telling a compelling story. If this continues to be as entertaining as it's been for the first hour or so then bring on this dark middle chapter of Lester the Unlikely.

e: oh and if you're not hunting with the bumper of a car you're doing it wrong

UrbanSurgeon
Aug 22, 2012

Skinheads & Lollypops
http://store.steampowered.com/news/9467/

Farcry 3 now available to Europe on steam ^

Store page is unavailable though

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Still no UK. :negative:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

So, I have my gripes with the game. The survival element is lacking, the screen constantly reminding me of my current objective is annoying, the gunplay is a bit simple and you can't mod all the guns, the main character is pretty much a tool, etc. But, I stayed up until 6 AM playing it. What it does well, it does really well. I'm having a blast.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Game is really fun so far, the only thing I'd change or mod would be more human enemies in the bases and missions. As is right now, it feels somewhat underpopulated.

edit: Where do you get different arrows from, just unlocks over time as you complete missions?

Flannelette posted:

Yeah 1 3 letter then 4 4 letters.
I put mine in with capital letters and dashes so try that if you haven't already, then ask Ubisoft for help.

I tried to put it in without any dashes, all lower case and it worked :allears:

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
So is it just me or are the more aggressive animals wayyyy stronger than any of the humans. Like tiger rushing at me, unload an entire clip of pistol ammo and it still keeps coming, human down in 1-2 shots easy. I really like how the wilderness actually feels dangerous.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh, definitely. I unloaded an entire MP5 magazine into a tiger's face to take it out a little bit ago.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
So uh, any way to remove that ole "HEY YOU'RE CROUCHING" icon whenever I'm crouching?

I kind of know when I'm crouching. Because I pressed the 'c' key. To crouch.

Any UI or config tweaks already out there will be majorly appreciated sirs.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The Pantheon posted:

So uh, any way to remove that ole "HEY YOU'RE CROUCHING" icon whenever I'm crouching?

I kind of know when I'm crouching. Because I pressed the 'c' key. To crouch.
I think I prefer the icon because you can end up crouched without pressing c (getting knocked down, sliding... etc).

The Pantheon posted:

Any UI or config tweaks already out there will be majorly appreciated sirs.
Not that I am aware of (yet).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dan Didio posted:

Seriously, why does Jason turn into a quip-machine making constant references to video games during the bonus missions?

This is the most hilariously tone deaf game I've played in a long time.

Well he's a spoiled trust fund kid, I imagine he's played some video games.

But honestly it sounds ghastly. Still, keep posting your impressions, I'm enjoying reading them.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Cardboard Box posted:

That's strange. I just tried mine at the opposite extremes (55 an 110) and didn't notice a UI change. I've been playing at 90.
Well I reloaded my game and didn't notice it this morning, maybe it was because I changed it while I was in-game.

gibbed posted:

I think they've done something like Scaleform and implemented something based on Flash, but it's not Scaleform. This is just from an initial glance.
Guess they're running a custom framework for their engine, you could probably decrypt it but it'd be kinda useless.

If only there were an easy way to find out the dev-flags they use because there has to be one that turns off the UI because you need them for marketing screenshots.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Holy loving poo poo this game can be tense. I stumbled upon a village of pirates getting murdered by a single rabid dog and just watched him go to town. That little champ took down four pirates so I figured I'd mosey in, put the dog down and get to looting. Everything was going fine searching bodies and such when OH loving poo poo TIGER! TIGER ON MY ARM! TIGER IN MY FACE AAUUGGHHH!!

That crazy bastard almost had me and it took some serious running and blasting in all directions to get him down. I mean goddamn I didn't even see him and I was in the middle of a cleared camp so I guess he was stalking me in the grass beforehand? It was absolutely nuts.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

gibbed posted:

I think they've done something like Scaleform and implemented something based on Flash, but it's not Scaleform. This is just from an initial glance.
This is what I've heard, they're using a custom Flash-based UI for most of their games now. A 3D programmer I worked with is now at Ubi Germany and has been turned into an Actionscript monkey.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Vodos posted:

This is what I've heard, they're using a custom Flash-based UI for most of their games now. A 3D programmer I worked with is now at Ubi Germany and has been turned into an Actionscript monkey.
Far Cry 2 had something similar called 'Magma', but Far Cry 3 seems to have something different, I haven't identified its name yet, but it has a file extension of .feu.

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone figured out how to turn off radial blur yet?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

gibbed posted:

Far Cry 2 had something similar called 'Magma', but Far Cry 3 seems to have something different, I haven't identified its name yet, but it has a file extension of .feu.
That could just be their specific extension that basically is a re-encoding of a flash .swf file into something their engine can interpret.

Problem is even if you convert it back into a SWF modifying that at all would be hard, there are flash decompilers but they don't always work that well.

Like I said you'd be better served digging through some code to see if you can find if there are any flags you can trigger through other means.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Holy loving poo poo this game can be tense. I stumbled upon a village of pirates getting murdered by a single rabid dog and just watched him go to town. That little champ took down four pirates so I figured I'd mosey in, put the dog down and get to looting. Everything was going fine searching bodies and such when OH loving poo poo TIGER! TIGER ON MY ARM! TIGER IN MY FACE AAUUGGHHH!!

That crazy bastard almost had me and it took some serious running and blasting in all directions to get him down. I mean goddamn I didn't even see him and I was in the middle of a cleared camp so I guess he was stalking me in the grass beforehand? It was absolutely nuts.

Had something similar when I was approaching a bandit camp I kept hearing growls, then when I was about to kill one of the pirates a loving tiger who was standing five meters from me attacked the bastard and hosed up the pirates big time, so I decided to join in but then right in the middle of it the tiger turned on me and I was dead.

I have also noted that the best way to hunt sharks is to run them over with a jet ski.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

real_scud posted:

That could just be their specific extension that basically is a re-encoding of a flash .swf file into something their engine can interpret.
Yes, that's exactly what it is, which sucks because Scaleform made editing things easy since it was just a slightly modified .SWF.

real_scud posted:

Problem is even if you convert it back into a SWF modifying that at all would be hard, there are flash decompilers but they don't always work that well.
I haven't found that particularily hard.

real_scud posted:

Like I said you'd be better served digging through some code to see if you can find if there are any flags you can trigger through other means.
Already on my list of things to research. Right now I'm working on building file lists for the archives.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

What kind of improvements over FarCry 2 are there in this game? 2 was an impressive tech demo that had kind of a lovely game attached. Will I spend all of 3 backtracking to bus stations?

McMyke
Mar 3, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SheepNameKiller posted:

What kind of improvements over FarCry 2 are there in this game? 2 was an impressive tech demo that had kind of a lovely game attached. Will I spend all of 3 backtracking to bus stations?

looks to me like the improvements are "not desert", skills, and crafting

also there's fast travel, can't remember if FC2 had that

kagebot
Oct 6, 2003
Any trip reports on the multiplayer?
dedicated servers? decent netcode? poo poo balance?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

McMyke posted:

They did but it was still annoying as gently caress, you had to run to the nearest bus station (which was far away from where you were standing) to travel to a bus station (which was far away from your destination) and probably had at least two checkpoints on the way that you'd need to kill for the umpteenth time on both your way there and the way back.

There, I just summed up FarCry 2 in a single paragraph. Also there was a flamethrower.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

gibbed posted:

I haven't found that particularily hard.
Really? I guess I haven't looked around in a while but last time I tried to use one for work when we didn't have the original .FLA around ended up in a FLA that was a mess of layers and items in the library.

I know you'll find more poo poo out tho gibbed and we'll soon be able to turn off some of the more annoying UI elements.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

McMyke posted:

looks to me like the improvements are "not desert", skills, and crafting

Does the AI still come running right toward you if you fire a weapon?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I am glad that someone mentioned that stealth gameplay has gotten a lot better, since enemies were basically psychic in 2.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Reciprocator posted:

Does the AI still come running right toward you if you fire a weapon?
No, though I have found if you miss killing someone with a headshot with a silenced weapon, say a pistol, that person will be alerted to you and if you're nearby come looking. If you're not they'll trigger their alarms.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
If anything stealth is too easy, but I am having a lot of fun doing it anyway. Sniping guys from far away, go in for the last few and then capture the outpost.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jack Trades posted:

My CPU is kind of bad, but it's well above the minimum and my GPU is really good so I was expecting at least stable 45 fps at minimum settings but what I got is 20-25 fps which is totally unplayable for me. I pre-ordered the deluxe edition as well, what a waste of money.

As long as you're consistently getting 20-25 fps, which is what I'm getting, the game is playable. "Waste of money" is a bit of an exaggeration. I spent ~$900 on computer upgrades (including S&H), which are gathering dust because every motherboard shipped to me has been DOA. That's a waste of money. Far Cry 3 not running at a constant 60 fps? That's suboptimal.

Dan Didio posted:

I thought it was an inexcusably bad piece of design in an otherwise so far excellent game.

...except you're still playing and think the game is great. I don't think "inexcusable" means what you think.

What's with goons being so overly dramatic about everything? "Inexcusable! Ghastly! Waste of money! I'm not buying the game until hints can be disabled!" With such strong words, you'd think Far Cry 3 was the worst game ever, which couldn't be further from the truth. Yeah, sure, there are issues here and there, but they're minor, few, and nothing a little gibbed modding magic can't fix.

gibbed posted:

I haven't found that particularly hard.

Well, the Skyrim UI SDK is still trudging along, so I don't see a similar project for Far Cry 3 coming anytime soon.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Are the fires toned down in this game? In FC2 it seemed like every checkpoint battle turned into a massive firestorm for me. I'm hoping for the same in FC3.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Finally installed the game. 560Ti, i5-2320, 8gb RAM, without beta drivers - everything is set to very high or ultra, the game never goes down below 35 fps. I really thought this will be unplayable, but so far it runs and looks great.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Budget Dracula posted:

Are the fires toned down in this game? In FC2 it seemed like every checkpoint battle turned into a massive firestorm for me. I'm hoping for the same in FC3.

I sure hope you can still do this, too. Lighting an entire field on fire in FarCry 2 was one of the best parts of that game.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

So, has anyone found any pigs yet? I want a bigger wallet! :argh:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eastbound Spider posted:

So, has anyone found any pigs yet? I want a bigger wallet! :argh:

Pigs are easy to find. Check your map of the first area. North of whatever the first village is called? What I can't find are boars for some reason. Since unlocking the digital deluxe content, I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of tigers in the wilderness. This may just be level scaling though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Adraeus posted:

What's with goons being so overly dramatic about everything? "Inexcusable! Ghastly! Waste of money! I'm not buying the game until hints can be disabled!"

When people criticize a game as they play it, they tend to mention only their criticism, and move on. This makes it seem a lot harsher than it normally is, because there's no context. Just "holy poo poo I loved this!" or "holy poo poo I hated this!". Let's just face it - for a person to stop playing a game and type a comment into a forum or chat room, something extreme has to happen. This is the nature of online gaming first impressions, and has been from the beginning.

Since I'm being specifically called out for using the word "ghastly", let me say 2 things: 1) You don't get to decide what words I can and can't use and chastize me for using ones you don't approve of, and 2) I think cracking video-game based jokes and quips in a game that opens with rape, sodomy, insanity, murder, and human trafficking is a pretty loving ghastly thing to do and that's not an overly dramatic use of the word at all.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Adraeus posted:

I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of tigers in the wilderness. This may just be level scaling though.
I've also noticed this, generally for me tigers now come in pairs, that was really rare before I activated my deluxe code. I like it, it's made some funny things happen, once when I exited a safehouse I was greeted by a white tiger just outside the door. :v:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
tiger can gently caress the gently caress off :argh:

Was happily getting myself stealth kills when a tiger took out the last dude....then me :argh:

Edit: also, this game is running nicely at 50-60 fps with the default settings of optimal and looking very pretty.

I changed from HDAO to SSAO and it didn't appear to do anything/change fps?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think cracking video-game based jokes and quips in a game that opens with rape, sodomy, insanity, murder, and human trafficking is a pretty loving ghastly thing to do and that's not an overly dramatic use of the word at all.

Oh, that's what you were talking about. Dan Didio asked, "Why does Jason turn into a quip-machine making constant references to video games during the bonus missions?" And then you said, "it sounds ghastly." I thought you were calling the constant references "ghastly." I misunderstood.

gibbed posted:

I've also noticed this, generally for me tigers now come in pairs, that was really rare before I activated my deluxe code. I like it, it's made some funny things happen, once when I exited a safehouse I was greeted by a white tiger just outside the door. :v:

Tiger duos! I haven't seen that yet. :fear:

As an aside, I'm happy that the (endangered) tigers are powerful and vicious on the Hard difficulty.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 29, 2012

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Adraeus posted:

Pigs are easy to find. Check your map of the first area. North of whatever the first village is called? What I can't find are boars for some reason. Since unlocking the digital deluxe content, I've also noticed a huge increase in the number of tigers in the wilderness. This may just be level scaling though.

How do you unlock it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Oh and I did the shotgun mission vs rabid dogs. Completed it easily enough but went back to get my ak47 and realised the area (where you first gather stuff like plants/boar hides) was populated with pirates.

I snuck back to get my AK47 and my tribe buddies raced up to assist - we're fighting the pirates when suddenly about 5/6 komodo dragons come out of nowhere and start getting involved :psyduck: Bloody mental.

Killed them all, humans and all, and was in the middle of looting them all with a face like this :keke: when I got run over by a pirates jeep.

• Locked thread