Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

So I'm a Darkmoon, and I want to invade the guilty and kill those who killed Gwynevere, but I can't. I use the Blue Orb pretty much anywhere and I get "Invasion Failed", the ring doesn't do poo poo as I've worn it for ages but never once been summoned.

If I turn human I am generally invaded within minutes if not seconds, so I know I'm connected up, plus I see the general messages, bloodstains and summon signs, but I cannot for the life of me invade others.

I even went to the forest and used the orb and still no luck. Anyone else have issues with hunting the guilty? Or has everyone in Lordran taken to not murdering other NPC's and Anor Londo will forever be sunny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
What level are you? You can't invade infinitely above your level as a Darkmoon, only below. You're still capped at the usual PVP/Co-op level above your current SL.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

So, Priscilla's been bothering me. We have a half-breed dragon/human that was banished to the Painted World because she supposedly is an abomination that can't be tolerated, right?

...So, why exactly is she rocking a scythe specifically called the Lifehunt Scythe?

The only other time we see a Life_____ thing is the Lifedrain of the Darkwraiths, although here it's implied that it isn't draining, but hunting, that she's doing. Why exactly is a half-breed dragon wielding a giant scythe meant to hunt out--and snuff out--life?

She's obviously very reminiscent of death, with that giant scythe, but instead of her being unlike Death in other ways, she's actually the opposite. She doesn't wear a black robe, she wears a white "gown". She doesn't hide her face, in fact she has nothing to possibly obscure her face. In appearance she seems to have every contrast to the traditional Grim Reaper, and still uses that Scythe.

She isn't there to guard the Painted World--you have to fight your way through the whole drat place just to find her. Then she lets you go, almost immediately. She's taken up residence as far away from the rest of the level as she can, she put a giant fuckoff dragon and several hollows + a Tower Knight between her and the middle collosseum-looking structure. You have to go through pretty much the entire area to go from where she is to where, say, the Velka set is kept. She's withdrawn as much as possible from the area.

How long ago did this "Curse" of Undead hit, again?

Her scythe's description says that even the gods feared her lifehunt ability. I think that like the darkwraiths and the abyss she is another threat to the fire gods, so they locked her away in the painting.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I need help with Ornstein and Smough, most likely for a solo fight.

Tips? Hints?

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

ViggyNash posted:

I need help with Ornstein and Smough, most likely for a solo fight.

Tips? Hints?

Don't get greedy. With two people you can just sort of go to town on the one you want to kill first, but with one it's very hard to get a safe opening to inflict some damage on either of them in. It's somewhat easier if you're killing Ornstein first because you can lure him far away from Smough, but if you're going for Smough first it's a bit harder since Ornstein has that crazy arcing dash move.

Maybe invest in some sort of ranged weapon? I know poison arrows are a popular tactic for cheesing them.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

What level are you? You can't invade infinitely above your level as a Darkmoon, only below. You're still capped at the usual PVP/Co-op level above your current SL.

Oh yeah I know, but I figured 78ish would be adequate for a good number of invasions, do you reckon I'm just too low then? I was invading left, right and centre on the PS3 at about that level which is why I figured it'd be similar here.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Worldwide Panther posted:

Don't get greedy. With two people you can just sort of go to town on the one you want to kill first, but with one it's very hard to get a safe opening to inflict some damage on either of them in. It's somewhat easier if you're killing Ornstein first because you can lure him far away from Smough, but if you're going for Smough first it's a bit harder since Ornstein has that crazy arcing dash move.

Maybe invest in some sort of ranged weapon? I know poison arrows are a popular tactic for cheesing them.

I say most likely solo since I only have 2 humanity left and the last time i went human in anor londo i got invaded immediately. And promptly killed. I haven't found an effective way to separate them yet, and despite my under 25% speed, I never seem to be able to dodge smough's massive sweeps, and if I do I just get poked by Ornstein usually, or he ends up on the other side of Smough, unable to rush me. I'm trying not to kill smough first since I know swole ornstein is much harder than superswole smough.

You have any tips on separating them effectively and consistently? If not I may just go back to sewer woman to buy some poison darts/arrows.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

So, Priscilla's been bothering me. We have a half-breed dragon/human that was banished to the Painted World because she supposedly is an abomination that can't be tolerated, right?

She's an abomination because she possesses the lifehunt power, which as you'll recall causes the bleed status effect, which causes a flat percentage of HP as damage on proc, which means that creatures with large amounts of HP (for example, deities) fear it. :eng101:

Basically the gods fear her because she is inherently capable of killing them (in fact, this is no more difficult for her than killing a lowly mortal), so they locked her away with an army of guardians to stop anyone from springing her. As everyone knows, gods are all massive loving dicks.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

I say most likely solo since I only have 2 humanity left and the last time i went human in anor londo i got invaded immediately. And promptly killed. I haven't found an effective way to separate them yet, and despite my under 25% speed, I never seem to be able to dodge smough's massive sweeps, and if I do I just get poked by Ornstein usually, or he ends up on the other side of Smough, unable to rush me. I'm trying not to kill smough first since I know swole ornstein is much harder than superswole smough.

You have any tips on separating them effectively and consistently? If not I may just go back to sewer woman to buy some poison darts/arrows.

Keep one of them (usually Smough) on the other side of a pillar. If you get up in Ornstein's face, half his moveset goes out the window. With Smough's charge attack, try and get him to hit one of the pillars. Interesting thing about both of their attacks, if you roll into a wide sweep attack you won't get hit; hell you can stand next to Smough's junk while he swings his hammer and not get hit.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Poniard posted:

Keep one of them (usually Smough) on the other side of a pillar. If you get up in Ornstein's face, half his moveset goes out the window. With Smough's charge attack, try and get him to hit one of the pillars. Interesting thing about both of their attacks, if you roll into a wide sweep attack you won't get hit; hell you can stand next to Smough's junk while he swings his hammer and not get hit.

In addition, when Smough does his charge attack, baiting forward quickly can halt it far in advance of you. You might have to dodge backwards, but it's better than having him continually charge you into a wall.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She's an abomination because she possesses the lifehunt power, which as you'll recall causes the bleed status effect, which causes a flat percentage of HP as damage on proc, which means that creatures with large amounts of HP (for example, deities) fear it. :eng101:

Basically the gods fear her because she is inherently capable of killing them (in fact, this is no more difficult for her than killing a lowly mortal), so they locked her away with an army of guardians to stop anyone from springing her. As everyone knows, gods are all massive loving dicks.

Uh, nice theory, but I'm pretty sure that Ornstein, Gwyn, Artorias, etc are all extremely resistant to bleed to the point they may as well be immune. Nito can also not be bled.

I mean, supposedly you can bleed Ornstein, but good luck actually doing it.

Smough can definitely be bled relatively easily, but he's not one of the Four Knights so I doubt he counts as a deity. Gwyndolin's stated as being sickly anyway, so Lifehunt barely matters to him.

Priscilla's abomination status has little to do with Lifehunt. It's the fact she's some weird half-dragon crossbreed, and we don't know who her parents are.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 29, 2012

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Poniard posted:

Ha, yea, I remember hiding under the Taurus Demon's junk. It was quite safe and cozy down there, though a bit smelly.

But most of the time when I try that with Smough, Ornstein stabs me. I might try the pillar trick next time I play, if I can manage to properly dodge Ornstein.

Edit: Really, you couldn't tell me this irl?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 29, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Tallgeese posted:

Uh, nice theory

This is probably the worst thing to say in regards to anything because so much of the Dark Souls lore is just theorycrafting on top of flimsy theories.

Although to answer another dude's question, Smough is definitely not human. If you read the little blurb about his armor, it mentions about how it'd be difficult for a human to wear, specifying fairly well that Smough isn't human.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

This is probably the worst thing to say in regards to anything because so much of the Dark Souls lore is just theorycrafting on top of flimsy theories.

I was being sarcastic, actually. I guess I should have made that more obvious...

We're not sure what Smough is, frankly.

Artorias isn't human, nor is Hawkeye Gough. The only gods we actually know about are Gwyn and Gwyndolin. I'm not even sure that Nito is directly called a god.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 29, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Although to answer another dude's question, Smough is definitely not human. If you read the little blurb about his armor, it mentions about how it'd be difficult for a human to wear, specifying fairly well that Smough isn't human.

In fairness I think it's a reasonable conclusion that Gwyn, his children, and his knights are all members of some other race that resembles humanity but is physically larger and probably predates them.

I always assumed Smough was one of whatever they are, just strong-fat.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

P sure he's a giant.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
Gough is a giant, Ciaran is a moon elf, Ornstein and Arty are human. I'm willing to take the burden and be the definitive word on Dark Souls lore.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Artorias' cut dialogue has him calling the player "human", implying he is not one.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Artorias is definitely not human, Elizabeth says he has "nary a murmur of dark". Humans are just beings with humanity (the dark soul). All the knights and smough have souls granted to them by Gwyn and are not human.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Not even "so much" of the lore, actually. Pretty much "all of it." So it's pretty stupid to dismiss basically every theory ever crafted for the game without using some sort of evidence to refute it unless you're some rear end in a top hat that thinks Dark Souls has no story.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'd say that Gwyn, his children and their knights, anyone that comes from Anor Londo, is a Giant. Nito is undeath personified. who knows what the Witch of Izalith is, but more than likely human (though not descended from the furtive pygmy I guess).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'd say that Gwyn, his children and their knights, anyone that comes from Anor Londo, is a Giant. Nito is undeath personified. who knows what the Witch of Izalith is, but more than likely human (though not descended from the furtive pygmy I guess).
But she's fucken massive!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Akuma posted:

Then I guess she too is a giant. I was more or less going off her daughters, two of which are now mutant spiders and the other who seemed fairly normal sized I guess.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

That merely raises the most important question:

Who did the Witch of Izalith bone?

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Akuma posted:

No she's not, she just started her daughters on the path to chaos from an early age.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Balobam posted:

No she's not, she just started her daughters on the path to chaos from an early age.

I don't know if you're blind man, but she's like twice the size of everyone in that gif. I'd say "fucken massive!" is an apt description.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kokoro Wish posted:

I don't know if you're blind man, but she's like twice the size of everyone in that gif. I'd say "fucken massive!" is an apt description.
I don't know, now I'm imagining the Kids of Chaos and that image seems kind of hilarious. Look at dem widdle guys wobbling over to their mother.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

The Kids of Chaos would have been a better fight than the giant handed tree fight.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

ViggyNash posted:

I say most likely solo since I only have 2 humanity left and the last time i went human in anor londo i got invaded immediately.

If you are having trouble taking them solo and you are out of humanity, put your sign down and get summoned! You'll get souls and a humanity for it and it will give you more practice against them. Anor Londo has a lot of invaders, but unless you are unlucky you should be able to summon a couple dudes at the bonfire to help before you get invaded.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Slam your sign down right in front of the door, or a little ways in front of it. Don't bother putting it next to the bonfire, you'll just have to slog through the whole other portion of Anor Londo to do that.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ragdolls in this game are weird sometimes.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

So, before the Kalameet fight, on your way down, there's two of those glowy plants right by this incredibly suspicious looking rock in the wall. I've whacked it, I've been lighty near it, but nothing.

Is that actually anything? Or is it just a really suspicious looking rock that From really wanted to draw my attention to?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tallgeese posted:

Artorias' cut dialogue has him calling the player "human", implying he is not one.

He may have at one point been human, and earned his demigod knight status from Gwyn as a reward for his skill. I think Ciaran's dialogue about him has some more info about what Artorias was but I can't remember.

Also he's THE ABYSSIEST KNIGHT IN THE WOOOOOOOOORLD at that point so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also it's cut dialogue and we can usually only go on what the game gives us and what Miyazaki says.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Tallgeese posted:

Priscilla's abomination status has little to do with Lifehunt. It's the fact she's some weird half-dragon crossbreed, and we don't know who her parents are.

On this note, I really like the idea of Priscilla being Gwynevere and Seath's illicit child. The princess having an affair with the duke would be a huge scandal, and it'd explain being both a giant and being almost pure white. Also, Seath's blindness manifesting in the ability to turn invisible would be a funny enough subversion that I'm willing to accept the whole scenario.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
I still don't think Gwyn and his family are giants. The only characters who we definitely know are giants are the Anor Londo blacksmith and Gough and they're much bigger than Gwyn and his top people. Plus Gough apparently had his helmet's eyeholes packed full of resin specifically because someone was racist towards giants and assumed he was a violent monster; I don't think people would have acted like that towards him if the rulers of Anor Londo were all giants.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

How long ago did this "Curse" of Undead hit, again?

At least a hundred years before the game starts, maybe more. The merchant in Sen's Fortress says people have been trying to get to Anor Londo for a century.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy Lobster posted:

On this note, I really like the idea of Priscilla being Gwynevere and Seath's illicit child. The princess having an affair with the duke would be a huge scandal, and it'd explain being both a giant and being almost pure white. Also, Seath's blindness manifesting in the ability to turn invisible would be a funny enough subversion that I'm willing to accept the whole scenario.
Oooh, sneaky edit. I was just about to quote your post about Gwyn and Seath's lovechild.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I still don't think Gwyn and his family are giants. The only characters who we definitely know are giants are the Anor Londo blacksmith and Gough and they're much bigger than Gwyn and his top people. Plus Gough apparently had his helmet's eyeholes packed full of resin specifically because someone was racist towards giants and assumed he was a violent monster; I don't think people would have acted like that towards him if the rulers of Anor Londo were all giants.

A lot of people also seem to forget that the black/silver knights are abnormally large, suited to Gwyn and his family's stature. Ciaran isn't oversized, but begins with "you humans" when you attack her. So they aren't just humans ascended to divine status.

I would just say the size thing is for reasons of practicality and art direction, but the dialogue (both present and cut) that suggests the elite of Anor Londo aren't human and the story stuff with the pygmy and his fellows being primordial man (by contrast to the other creatures who claim lord souls) makes me believe they're simply another race of elves or titans or ancients or whatever. Smaller and more elegant and refined than giants, larger and more majestic than men. The Witch of Izalith is probably also one of them; Quelana and the like might have a normal stature for the same reason as Ciaran (which could even be laziness or a mistake), or perhaps their unknown father was human or something. Who cares.

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 29, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Sarkozymandias posted:

That merely raises the most important question:

Who did the Witch of Izalith bone?

The true form of Pennywise from "IT"

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone know if its actually possible to hack yourself so that you're permanently gravelorded?

Iretep fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's possible, but I haven't found out how and :effort: to find it out.

• Locked thread