Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait it's really out woah. Why do I still need to reboot my PC, iTunes? :argh:

I ignored that and it was fine. LIVING LIFE ON THE EDGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
What the gently caress is with the playlist font? It looks loving terrible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Billy Joel to Pantera. I like that transition.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Why the gently caress do I have to enable the menu bar to sort by year instead of title

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Does anyone know where itunes dj went? I don't think the up next feature is an adequate replacement since it isn't as static as DJ was.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I think it looks kinda nice. I don't do much other than rip CDs and play music though.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Is there no list view with album art anymore?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Miniplayer is new

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

The rear end Stooge posted:

Is there no list view with album art anymore?

Like this you mean?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dogen posted:

Why do they keep trying to force some form of cover flow on me? WHY?
Because the lowest common denominator is too stupid to relate to the world through words instead of pictures. Apple and Microsoft have both been doing this for years.

Pathard
Oct 23, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Just at a glance, it looks decent. I'll find out for sure once I install it later though. I feel that the empty space on the right is really going to bother me. I guess I'll have to fill it with random numbers.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Suqit posted:

Like this you mean?

Yeah I like this view a lot.

It's a shame that the "album" view with the shaded background and font colors isn't available in the list format (apparently it's only available when viewing the coverart grid).

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

argh. Miniplayer annoyance:

Default size:

Collapsed:

I don't have anything airplay enabled. Why the hell is that useless pustule of an icon there instead of something useful like search?

Edit: and CMD-F expands it out to its default size and collapses the up next list, even if you hit escape to cancel the search.

xarph fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 29, 2012

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Any word on compatibility with non-iTunes DAAP servers like forked-daapd?

EDIT: Keeping in mind the known, patchable issue introduced in iTunes 10.5

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 29, 2012

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My topic has 30 new posts, that can only mean one thing. It means I'm going to have to hurry up and get out of work (in 5.5 hours :smith:).

EDIT: Nooooo, my topic title... It will probably be 100% right and I might contribute to it when I try it because I'm stuck in my ways.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2012

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Suqit posted:

Like this you mean?

Oh duh thanks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I really like the combination of the new MiniPlayer and Up Next.

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
Not to be "that guy" who complains about things changing, but my initial impression is that iTunes is now less streamlined than it used to be. Specifically when it comes to making playlists. It's not a big deal, but they've made it more complicated than it used to be.

But I hate the way they've changed the search function. Holy smokes, it seems almost useless now.

EDIT: Nevermind about the search thing. It's a bit silly with how it works, but I've been able to figure it out.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

This update is like a fine piece of legislation. It does one thing that everyone wanted (speed), and in order to get it passed there are so many backroom compromises in it that everyone is equally unhappy.

Edit: Yay I changed what I was looking at while browsing through my library to add things to the up next queue whilst shuffling the library. I hit next track, only to find that Up Next has completely replaced itself with whatever I happened to be looking at.

xarph fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 29, 2012

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Captain Geech posted:

Not to be "that guy" who complains about things changing, but my initial impression is that iTunes is now less streamlined than it used to be. Specifically when it comes to making playlists. It's not a big deal, but they've made it more complicated than it used to be.

But I hate the way they've changed the search function. Holy smokes, it seems almost useless now.

I haven't had a chance to play with it myself (was just watching someone else), but my understanding is that they just changed the workflow for working with playlists; something to do with popping out from the right-hand side of the library area to do your drag/drop.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
This is gorgeous.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
How do I enable album art at the bottom of the sidebar?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well at least it didn't change the artist/album for more than a few songs on me (as far as I can tell so far)

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Wario In Real Life posted:

This is gorgeous.

Yeah, this feature is really dope

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Not only is iTunes DJ dead, the replacement is brain damaged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6tLvD8DDU

At least this makes the "pause while browsing library makes itunes forget what album you were listening to" annoyance into a FEATURE!

Because if you're browsing around your library, you always want to be listening to what's on the screen when the current song ends, right?!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Wario In Real Life posted:

This is gorgeous.

How do you do this?

edit: album view only :/

c0burn fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 29, 2012

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Well at least it didn't change the artist/album for more than a few songs on me (as far as I can tell so far)

Those tags look correct?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

c0burn posted:

How do you do this?
That's just the default view for me.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

c0burn posted:

How do you do this?

In album view click on an album.

Why does it forget the place in playlist view when navigating away from it?

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Suqit posted:

Like this you mean?

That's pretty nice, yeah. However, how the gently caress do I loop a single album using a list-like view?

It seems that my choices are either:

1) Use the "Album" tab and select the album I want to listen to more than once.
or
2) Stick to the "Artists" or "Songs" view and create a playlist for each album that I want to loop.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Hip Gelatinous Cube posted:

That's pretty nice, yeah. However, how the gently caress do I loop a single album using a list-like view?

It seems that my choices are either:

1) Use the "Album" tab and select the album I want to listen to more than once.
or
2) Stick to the "Artists" or "Songs" view and create a playlist for each album that I want to loop.

You can use the artist tag, select an album, then click the repeat button to the left of the track information.

edit: like so

Suqit fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 29, 2012

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It's still very, very slow for me. That's the only thing I cared about.

jason
Jul 25, 2002

xarph posted:

Not only is iTunes DJ dead, the replacement is brain damaged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6tLvD8DDU

At least this makes the "pause while browsing library makes itunes forget what album you were listening to" annoyance into a FEATURE!

Because if you're browsing around your library, you always want to be listening to what's on the screen when the current song ends, right?!

Well that sucks. Besides the integration with my iOS devices, that was the only thing I really liked about iTunes.

I hope you just can't find it or something.

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Suqit posted:

You can use the artist tag, select an album, then click the repeat button to the left of the track information.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to be behaving properly. In your picture, reaching the last track of Power, Corruption & Lies (Remaster) would mean that iTunes moves on to the next album, rather than repeat that one. Try it out.

On my end, let's assume I click on the "Artists" tab, then pick an artist, say, Bob Dylan. I click on the first track for Blonde On Blonde. The repeat button is blue/activated. When it gets to the end of the album, it will then move on to the next Bob Dylan album. It will keep going until it reaches the last Bob Dylan album, at which point it will go back to the first track/album for that particular artist.

Basically, when you're within the "Artists" tab, repeat will repeat the entire discography for the artist you're listening to, rather than an individual album. Which I suppose makes sense, but kind of sucks too for those of us who don't want to touch the cover-heavy "Albums" tab.

Can anyone else confirm that I'm not being utterly dumb over here?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
The Windows taskbar on auto-hide finally works with itunes. Just for that, two thumbs up from me.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Yeah, that's what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to be behaving properly. In your picture, reaching the last track of Power, Corruption & Lies (Remaster) would mean that iTunes moves on to the next album, rather than repeat that one. Try it out.

On my end, let's assume I click on the "Artists" tab, then pick an artist, say, Bob Dylan. I click on the first track for Blonde On Blonde. The repeat button is blue/activated. When it gets to the end of the album, it will then move on to the next Bob Dylan album. It will keep going until it reaches the last Bob Dylan album, at which point it will go back to the first track/album for that particular artist.

Basically, when you're within the "Artists" tab, repeat will repeat the entire discography for the artist you're listening to, rather than an individual album. Which I suppose makes sense, but kind of sucks too for those of us who don't want to touch the cover-heavy "Albums" tab.

I see what you mean, and you're right, that is what it does with mine too. That is unfortunate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Welp I opened it and it gave me the little tutorial videos popup. But then it started playing both at the same time and locked the app :bravo:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Instead of double clicking on the song, hover near the album title and you'll see some controls appear there. Click the "play" button beside the album (instead of just double clicking on a song) and then it should be limited to that album only.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Suqit posted:

Paging my OCD. Use the Album # fields. The name of the album isn't "Power Corruption and Lies [Disk 2]", and that's why those fields are there. That way the album counts as one album with two disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Psh, I don't get all of the hate.

I love the streamlined looked. The album view is terrific as well as the Artist view. I've always wanted the 'book of CDs' look like I achieved with AlbumList and Winamp.

The up-next list is terrific, easy to add to. iTunes no longer jumps around in the list when it starts playing another track (making you loose your spot to the next song you want to play).

iTunes now does what I want it to do; play music, look great, and don't show me anything else. I can finally use it without cringing at the user experience.