Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Before I decide how much I enjoy a game I'm going to need to see the publisher's standard and poor rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gendo posted:

Before I decide how much I enjoy a game I'm going to need to see the publisher's standard and poor rating.

Also keep in mind, because this is a luxury, your buying of the game inherently makes you a big dummy unless it does literally everything new, so you shouldn't enjoy it then either.

What's this, I'm JUMPING?! Oh wow, haven't done that a million times, way to phone poo poo in guys.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gendo posted:

Well you need to know how well a company is doing in all of their divisions before you can accurately form a picture of how their games will be.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

netBuff posted:

What? This argument is absurdly dumb. So apparently he bought a Wii, a Wii U, three Wii Remotes, NSMBU and apparently this was still a sane financial transaction? And why does the price of the PS3 at launch matter, when three additional controllers would certainly be cheaper than a Wii U alone? Why does it matter at all, I never brought finances into the argument.

I already HAVE a bunch of Wiimotes from years ago, which you could have know if you bothered to read the post. At a new console launch if you want local multiplayer you need to buy a lot of extra controllers. Its rare for a console to have 5 person local multipler out of the box without spending an extra 200$ on controllers. Get it yet? Its a big selling point that you can still use them. It might make someone, 'excited' to play with the WiiU in fact.

Remember this is all in response to some idiot wondering (in the Nintendo thread) 'who could be excited to play NSMBU?' And then being dumbfounded when people explain why they are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gendo posted:

It's at least tangentially important for console manufacturers.

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Glitterbomber posted:

Also keep in mind, because this is a luxury, your buying of the game inherently makes you a big dummy unless it does literally everything new, so you shouldn't enjoy it then either.

What's this, I'm JUMPING?! Oh wow, haven't done that a million times, way to phone poo poo in guys.

You really love to harp on this: I'm even going to buy NSMBU, but would I rather have a new Mario game in the spirit of Super Mario 3D Land, or maybe even a 2D Mario with a new art style and maybe beautiful instead of terrible music for a change? Yes.

I find it hard to be excited for yet another "New" game.

Bombadilillo posted:

I already HAVE a bunch of Wiimotes from years ago, which you could have know if you bothered to read the post. At a new console launch if you want local multiplayer you need to buy a lot of extra controllers. Its rare for a console to have 5 person local multipler out of the box without spending an extra 200$ controllers. Get it yet? Its a big selling point that you can still use them. It might make someone, 'excited' to play with the WiiU in fact.

I don't get it. Unless you knew the next PS and Xbox to use new controllers (which they surely will, as both companies love money), your argument was meaningless.

(Apparently this person has already seen the future:)

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm going to go home after work and play an hd Mario bros with my 4 kids at the same time. Using controllers I bought 4 years ago so I didn't have to drop 200 extra on like I would have on ps3 360. Why am I supposed to b not excited about this?

netBuff fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 29, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

What's your profession?

Infrastructure and Systems engineering. I'm the person who looks at your compiled code and tells you where you wrote really bad loops and how to properly implement differing architectures into your application/business.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

netBuff posted:

I don't get it. Unless you knew the next PS and Xbox to use new controllers (which they surely will, as both companies love money), your argument was meaningless.

No, it means I will be happy at both Nintendo and them :aaa:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

netBuff posted:

Okay, maybe you need to define what kind of apples-to-apples comparison you're trying to make, because it seems like you're constantly switching gears and being belligerent to boot. I thought the comparison was Wii U + controllers at launch versus PS3 + controllers at launch. Is it not?

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Supercar Gautier posted:

Okay, maybe you need to define what kind of apples-to-apples comparison you're trying to make, because it seems like you're constantly switching gears and being belligerent to boot. I thought the comparison was Wii U + controllers at launch versus PS3 + controllers at launch. Is it not?

The argument is that a PS3 requires PS3 controllers, whereas if the WiiU were Sony, it would be a PS3 that uses PS2 controllers, which he already has in abundance.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

netBuff posted:

You really love to harp on this: I'm even going to buy NSMBU, but would I rather have a new Mario game in the spirit of Super Mario 3D Land, or maybe even a 2D Mario with a new art style and maybe beautiful instead of terrible music for a change? Yes.

I find it hard to be excited for yet another "New" game.

I can't imagine why you're buying this game, then. I do agree that the New formula is going stale, but it's still got SOME life in it, and I am enjoying NSMBU. But it doesn't seem like you're going to.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I think it's stupid that people are getting their panties all in a bunch over the Wii U's hardware.
It has a bunch of RAM, does HD, supports any USB HDD, and has already shown that it is capable of amazing graphics. What more could you want from the system?

I still feel the biggest issue is their purchasing policies. Things like tying poo poo to the hardware, or not fixing issues with Wii purchases brought over. With every other company doing it "right", why aren't more people causing hell and demanding things from Nintendo?
Android and iOS platforms pretty much exist to run purchases tied to an account. There were rumors that the next Xbox and Playstation may even drop optical drives because of the popularity of downloaded games on their platforms.

After all these years, Nintendo still ties virtual console purchases to the hardware.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Xenomorph posted:

I think it's stupid that people are getting their panties all in a bunch over the Wii U's hardware.
It has a bunch of RAM, does HD, supports any USB HDD, and has already shown that it is capable of amazing graphics. What more could you want from the system?

Since I'm the one who started this fall off the cliff, I'll answer. But I don't have my 'panties all in a bunch'. I am concerned, though, about devs complaining about weak CPU power. Maybe they're wrong, maybe the GPU will be able to take over duty from the CPU. But it is a concern, and I think it is a viable discussion.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

Steady framerates, maybe?

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Revol posted:

I can't imagine why you're buying this game, then. I do agree that the New formula is going stale, but it's still got SOME life in it, and I am enjoying NSMBU. But it doesn't seem like you're going to.

My opinion was dramatized for message board effect: I do still get enjoyment out of the series, getting the five shiny stars can be a nice challenge. Mario platformers have always played very well. I just find the music and art style a bit revolting.

Regarding couch co-op, I think this game might be a bit frustrating: I played it at a trade show, and experienced the constant stopping when someone messes up or gets some power up to be very irritating.

flyboi posted:

CPU wise? No it isn't. But if a game is retooled to take advantage of the GPU capabilities it is more than capable to play ball with 360 and ps3.

This sounds reasonable.

Gendo posted:

AAA+

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Gendo posted:

Trust me. It won't stop me from buying a PS4 if it has games that I want to play and cannot play elsewhere. It's all about the games. There does seem to be a fair amount of interest in how well Nintendo is doing fiscally within this thread though along with how they compare to their competition which is why I opted to contribute. I also find it rather interesting in general outside of my love for video games.

In the future, I have no issue refraining from posting that sort of stuff in threads like this if you feel it doesn't belong.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xenomorph posted:

Sometimes the quantity of the RAM does not mean it's better as the RAM that is currently in the console is pretty slow by all standards. The HD and support of USB HDD is awesome

I haven't seen anything out of the WiiU that I would classify as amazing graphics department but if that's the way you feel then awesome.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Sonny Cheebah posted:

Steady framerates, maybe?

Not to look like I'm some Nintendo #1!!! fanboy but name one platform when first released that ports from previous consoles ran without any issues. It's the pain of being a first adopter on any of them, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS3 and even 360 had these issues. Hell 360 was having framerate issues on games ported from PS2.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360-games/338614-need-speed-most-wanted-fps-stutter-problems.html

So yes, poo poo's going to suck for ports for a long while since 360 is the golden standard to start on. It took PS3 years before the ports from 360 > PS3 weren't some abortion and until that standard changes you're looking at really garbage EA titles.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xavier434 posted:

Trust me. It won't stop me from buying a PS4 if it has games that I want to play and cannot play elsewhere. It's all about the games. There does seem to be a fair amount of interest in how well Nintendo is doing fiscally within this thread though along with how they compare to their competition which is why I opted to contribute. I also find it rather interesting in general outside of my love for video games.

In the future, I have no issue refraining from posting that sort of stuff in threads like this if you feel it doesn't belong.

Nintendo posted a loss earlier this year that was pretty alarming and we'll see how it goes with the WiiU launch but Nintendo doesn't make; televisions, cell phones, digital music players, car radios, and etc the way that Sony does. The playstation brand is very profitable and is mostly going untouched in all of the renovation and reworking that Sony is doing in their other departments. It just seemed like a really bad idiotic jab at something you don't really grasp in order to make a dig at a competitors product.

If it wasn't that I'm sorry to assume, but that's what it came off as.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gendo posted:

Said a Dreamcast advocate, prior to the great SEGA collapse. If you like Sony or Nintendo products, you have a stake in whether or not Sony or Nintendo are healthy as companies. Otherwise they go away.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Revol posted:

I'm heartbroken that I won't get to play the new Little King Story.
That's a bit overdramatic, it's not like buying a Vita would literally kill you or something.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
The business side of things absolutely belongs in this thread. It just seems a little boring to me personally. There's brand new hardware out and new games with even more games on the horizon. I just play fun games and let the rest sort itself out.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Rake Arms posted:

A fair point, but I'm saying that they should invest more in those titles to avoid a repeat of the Wii. Support devs and give the games enough marketing exposure. The Wii had so many sleepers because nobody, 1st or 3rd party, did anything to let gamers know that that such games even exist. Silent Hill even shipped without a street date! If they did more to ensure that these games connect with their intended audience, publishers might not have to release "definitive" editions to recoup their losses.

What I'm thinking Nintendo could do (and what they're already doing with Bayonetta 2, for example) is use that impressive war chest they've built up over the last six years to lessen the strain of development costs for developers and take over marketing and publishing duties (which they've done for a while now, Nintendo handled all of Monster Hunter Tri's marketing in Europe for instance) in return for making the game an exclusive to their system. The only problem is that, if this does end up a repeat of the Wii, doing this will probably become unfeasible after a while.

Miiverse would help out a lot and could easily bring attention to these games, maybe Nintendo could even start issuing their Directs as downloadable videos on the system and advertise those through Miiverse or whatever. They've got quite the set-up to work with, it's interesting to speculate on what they could do. They're apparently planning on expanding immensely and restructuring the company to accommodate more staff and help output more software, so they're definitely taking this very seriously.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

flyboi posted:

Not to look like I'm some Nintendo #1!!! fanboy but name one platform when first released that ports from previous consoles ran without any issues. It's the pain of being a first adopter on any of them, 3DS, Vita, Wii U, PS3 and even 360 had these issues. Hell 360 was having framerate issues on games ported from PS2.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-360-games/338614-need-speed-most-wanted-fps-stutter-problems.html

So yes, poo poo's going to suck for ports for a long while since 360 is the golden standard to start on. It took PS3 years before the ports from 360 > PS3 weren't some abortion and until that standard changes you're looking at really garbage EA titles.

You may have a point, but I'd be quite surprised if third-party developers manage to harness the power of the console as well as Nintendo will. This argument rings true for the PS3, and it's obvious that frame rates are still a valid concern for the ports on that console. I'm worried that Nintendo is going to be the only developer that knows how to properly use their hardware, and the overall library for the Wii-U will suffer for it. I'm all for people getting it to play the next Zelda or whatever, but I need more meat and potatoes before I purchase the meal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Xenomorph posted:

The RAM is slow, everything is HD these days, the HDD thing can be done with actual internal drives on other platforms and the only way I could see the graphics being "amazing" is if the person viewing it has never owned a 360, PS3, PC or even an iPhone. Also the framerate sucks poo poo on those ports of games from a previous generation, so there are performance issues.

A lot of Wii U games will look/perform better on down the line once the hardware is utilized better, but come on, man, your post is completely :psyduck:.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zomodok posted:

Nintendo posted a loss earlier this year that was pretty alarming and we'll see how it goes with the WiiU launch but Nintendo doesn't make; televisions, cell phones, digital music players, car radios, and etc the way that Sony does. The playstation brand is very profitable and is mostly going untouched in all of the renovation and reworking that Sony is doing in their other departments. It just seemed like a really bad idiotic jab at something you don't really grasp in order to make a dig at a competitors product.

If it wasn't that I'm sorry to assume, but that's what it came off as.

I definitely don't claim to be an expert and you are correct that I was not trying to sucker punch Sony in the name of console warriors. I added that content because I found it interesting and another made a claim without much of any source so I thought it might be considered useful to add on to.

Your comment regarding their gaming division alone sparked my interest though. I just found this: Sony PlayStation division suffers full-year $2.8bn loss

I don't hold any of these company's fiscal positions personally. I have always purchased all consoles from the big 3 eventually because they all release at least one great game I want in due time. I do find it interesting though and others here seemed to as well.

If the information isn't appreciated by enough people then I will just stop. No point if that's the case.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 29, 2012

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Joramun posted:

That's a bit overdramatic, it's not like buying a Vita would literally kill you or something.

I'm not planning to buy a Vita any time soon.

Unless it gets jailbroken like the PSP...

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

Sony is in a much weakened position heading into the next-gen but they're in it for the long haul. They're competing with MS not just for gamers but to become a central entertainment hub for general electronics consumers.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't blame Nintendo for that, they had enourmous success with the Wii, but from sales experience during the Wii era, a lot of people didn't buy one because of how badly it compared to the other consoles. It's not far-fetched to assume the same thing will happen again.

Im sure Nintendo cried themselves to sleep as they outsold both of their competitors.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

insidius posted:

Im sure Nintendo cried themselves to sleep as they outsold both of their competitors.

Let's see if they do that again. I have a hard time believing that they're going to capture as large a share of the market as they did with the Wii.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Introvert posted:

What I'm thinking Nintendo could do (and what they're already doing with Bayonetta 2, for example) is use that impressive war chest they've built up over the last six years to lessen the strain of development costs for developers and take over marketing and publishing duties (which they've done for a while now, Nintendo handled all of Monster Hunter Tri's marketing in Europe for instance) in return for making the game an exclusive to their system. The only problem is that, if this does end up a repeat of the Wii, doing this will probably become unfeasible after a while.

Miiverse would help out a lot and could easily bring attention to these games, maybe Nintendo could even start issuing their Directs as downloadable videos on the system and advertise those through Miiverse or whatever. They've got quite the set-up to work with, it's interesting to speculate on what they could do. They're apparently planning on expanding immensely and restructuring the company to accommodate more staff and help output more software, so they're definitely taking this very seriously.

I think third parties must be excited as heck about the Miiverse Plaza being the first thing on the TV screen when you boot the console; if your game can meet the popularity threshold to get up there, every single Wii U owner connected to the internet will automatically be shown comments, sketches, and testimonials, accompanied by a direct link to purchase it from the eShop. It's probably the best marketing opportunity that any of the big three currently offer.

Between being active about snatching up third-party properties to publish, turning around their digital distribution model to make it apparently even more developer-friendly than the competition's, offering Miiverse as a marketing opportunity, and having a pretty drat robust launch lineup... if the Wii U is on track towards third-party abandonment, Nintendo's doing a hell of a job fighting it. I really don't think "but clockspeeds" is going to be their undoing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

insidius posted:

They may have been for the last year or so. It's strange. The Wii was as big of a hit as you could want, but lately, the platform has died sooner than Nintendo would probably had liked it to.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Polo-Rican posted:

is unarguably getting stale
it's also unarguably stale.

You keep using that word and yet I dont think it means what you think it means.

Polo-Rican posted:

Basically, unless they reinvent a lot of their franchises the way they reinvented Mario with the 'Galaxy' series, will people really be excited for Nintendo releases? Would anyone here truly get excited if they announced a "Mario Kart Wii U" that looked just like an old Mario Kart?

NSMBWiiU is already getting rave reviews for not only bringing new features and content in droves to the series but for being an incredibly tight and well made game. Along with that Nintendo is known to shake up its franchises pretty much every generation anyway so I am confused as to why you seem to think they are on some downward spiral?

If activision can poo poo out the same shooter every 12 months and its lapped up in the millions pretty sure Nintendo is going to be just fine.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sonny Cheebah posted:

You may have a point, but I'd be quite surprised if third-party developers manage to harness the power of the console as well as Nintendo will.

What console doesn't have first (or second) party games that are light years ahead of third party games graphically?

First Party (1999)

Third Party (2001)

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

The Introvert posted:

I've been wondering for a while why they don't stream Nintendo Direct and other keynotes straight to their platforms.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

zenintrude posted:

What console doesn't have first (or second) party games that are light years ahead of third party games graphically?

First Party (1999)

Third Party (2001)

Since when were we arguing about graphical fidelity?

EDIT: It doesn't help that you're using a port of a PSX game to prove your point.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 29, 2012

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Gendo posted:

Sony is in a much weakened position heading into the next-gen but they're in it for the long haul. They're competing with MS not just for gamers but to become a central entertainment hub for general electronics consumers.

This sort of ties into the most baffling thing for me about the Wii U - why doesn't it play DVDs or Blu-Rays? My PS3 gets so much usage out of being my single media player (and it's enormously convenient since it plays just about everything) that I can't imagine buying a console that doesn't do the same. And I can't afford two.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rake Arms posted:

I've been wondering for a while why they don't stream Nintendo Direct and other keynotes straight to their platforms.

I don't know if it's all of them, but at least some of them are up in the 3DS eShop, plus almost all the E3 trailers ended up there as well.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

amaranthine posted:

This sort of ties into the most baffling thing for me about the Wii U - why doesn't it play DVDs or Blu-Rays? My PS3 gets so much usage out of being my single media player (and it's enormously convenient since it plays just about everything) that I can't imagine buying a console that doesn't do the same. And I can't afford two.

Nintendo wanting to cheap out on licensing DVD or Blu Ray formats (or music CD in that case). To be fair though, most people have shitloads of devices that play DVDs already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's kind of weird, because surely there must have been significant cost to signing on all those TV service providers for Nintendo TVii. I guess Nintendo feels very digital-or-bust about video media these days?

• Locked thread