Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
I also find it weird, especially in residential areas, if there is a dog running loose with no apparent owner in sight, that people don't try to check for a tag and call the owners. This happened this weekend. My dog was barking, and I looked out the window and saw a beagle hanging around my neighbors yard. He was out there with some other guy and I just assumed it was the other guys dog or something. I looked out a minute or two later and the dog was heading up the street. I went outside and asked my neighbor if he knew whose dog it was, he said he didn't but that it seemed like a nice dog. I followed the dog a few houses up and squatted down and she came to me. She had a tag, so I took her back to my house and called the owners who came and got her. I guess they have an invisible fence and it was the second time she had gotten out. But again, I don't get why people just let an obviously loose dog roam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fraction posted:

It just completely boggles my mind that, for example, in America if you go hiking you're like 50% likely going to have to keep your dog on a leash.

I mean, who wants a strange dog running up to them when you don't know if it's friendly? Especially if you have your own dog and one of the two is dog aggressive and starts a fight. Who needs that poo poo? I say all dogs on leashes in public areas not designated as dog parks.

It's one thing if you go out into the middle of nowhere to let your dog run around, but it's just not appropriate in populated areas.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

hhgtrillian posted:

I also find it weird, especially in residential areas, if there is a dog running loose with no apparent owner in sight, that people don't try to check for a tag and call the owners. This happened this weekend. My dog was barking, and I looked out the window and saw a beagle hanging around my neighbors yard. He was out there with some other guy and I just assumed it was the other guys dog or something. I looked out a minute or two later and the dog was heading up the street. I went outside and asked my neighbor if he knew whose dog it was, he said he didn't but that it seemed like a nice dog. I followed the dog a few houses up and squatted down and she came to me. She had a tag, so I took her back to my house and called the owners who came and got her. I guess they have an invisible fence and it was the second time she had gotten out. But again, I don't get why people just let an obviously loose dog roam.

Most of my neighbors are the type who would check the tags, but we only ever seem to get unfriendly dogs wandering our street. I've never once encountered a loose dog in my neighborhood that would let me approach it :(

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Serella posted:

I say all dogs on leashes in public areas not designated as dog parks.

Maybe it's different in America but over here we tend to try and not let an rear end in a top hat minority ruin it for everyone else.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

RazorBunny posted:

Most of my neighbors are the type who would check the tags, but we only ever seem to get unfriendly dogs wandering our street. I've never once encountered a loose dog in my neighborhood that would let me approach it :(

It seems about 50/50 with me. If it won't come to me, or acts like it's going to run, I usually don't give chase, because I worry I will chase it farther from home or into traffic or something. But if it will come to me, I will check. There was another one last night that was like that. He barked at me and then kind of took off in the opposite direction unfortunately, so I just hoped for the best at that point. I usually keep treats and a slip type leash in my car, because these things have come in handy in the past.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fraction posted:

Maybe it's different in America but over here we tend to try and not let an rear end in a top hat minority ruin it for everyone else.

It's not a minority here, sadly. People are really loving stupid and rude when it comes to their precious baby angel dogs, and they get all bent out of shape when you call them on stuff like not picking up after their dog or their dog being aggressive toward other dogs. In places where leash laws are not enforced, there are dogs roaming the neighborhood, and often they're unfixed so yay more stray dogs running around in the road who are fearful-aggressive toward people.

I just think leash laws are a good thing for everyone. Keeps your dog safe, keeps drivers safe (from swerving to avoid hitting a doggy), keeps other dogs safe, keeps people safe.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Off leash dogs are a big pet peeve of mine, probably entirely because I live in a fairly congested area. This isn't Rover roaming over acres of wilderness or farmland, it's lazy people letting their labs out the front door into traffic and not bothering to check and see who they might be bothering.

Ginny's been attacked three times while we've been walking her through the neighborhood. It doesn't help that she's a huge drama queen who tangles up in my legs and starts screaming bloody murder because The Big Dog Looked At Me. But it's still downright frightening to be walking down a street in my neighborhood, only to turn around and see a large dog stalking silently behind. And the owners of these dogs inevitably say "but he's so friendly!"

We've even encountered a man who lets his lab sleep in the road in front of his home. Why? Because she likes sleeping there. He laughingly told us that he's had more than one person ring his doorbell to sadly tell him that his dog must have been hit by a car because she's crumpled up on the curb. But no, she wasn't hit, that's just where she sleeps.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Serella posted:

I mean, who wants a strange dog running up to them when you don't know if it's friendly? Especially if you have your own dog and one of the two is dog aggressive and starts a fight. Who needs that poo poo? I say all dogs on leashes in public areas not designated as dog parks.

It's one thing if you go out into the middle of nowhere to let your dog run around, but it's just not appropriate in populated areas.

I'm with you. One of my two dogs is dog aggressive and it drives me crazy when we take her to a leash only area trail or even just around our neighborhood and an unleashed dog runs up to mine and the owners like, "It's okay, he's friendly." I don't really care, because my dog is not and may bite your dog if he comes running up to my dog. It's usually my husband and I walking the dogs, so he will usually go toward the unleashed dog with our friendly dog while I try to put as much distance between our other dog and the unleashed dog. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want me bringing her to their unleashed dog park and let her attack all their dogs, so keep your dog leashed in leash only areas. There is a leash law in our city.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There are a lot of people, in my experience, in the US that will happily speed up and laugh if they see a loose dog or cat or whatever on the street.

A couple weeks ago I was walking the dogs, and for some stupid reason none of the neighborhoods around here have sidewalks so we were walking on the side of the street and some rear end in a top hat actually swerved and tried to hit Max with his car. Thankfully Max has a really quick reaction time and jumped out of the way, but goddamn.

I'd walk them not on the street and in people's front yards, but I'm paranoid about the "GET THOSE DOGS OFF MY LAWN" types :( And if I don't take them for long walks around the neighborhood they'd destroy my house and sanity.

Both the dogs have really good recalls, but they're still on a leash unless we're at the dog park. Sometimes I let Max walk by himself from the car to the door since it's a distance of all of like 10 feet though.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Frankie slipped his collar when my stepdad was taking him out at lunch and I can't find him. He did not call me to tell me so that I could leave work and has been missing since lunch time. I have spent the past 3 hours knocking on doors and yelling through this, and the surrounding neighborhoods and crying. He has no tags on without his collar. He would come if he could hear me. He is chipped but what if someone gets him and doesn't get him scanned. Someone had to get him, he would come if he could hear me.

I don't know where Frankie is, you guys.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, that's awful. Hope he turns up.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Superconsndar posted:

Frankie slipped his collar when my stepdad was taking him out at lunch and I can't find him. He did not call me to tell me so that I could leave work and has been missing since lunch time. I have spent the past 3 hours knocking on doors and yelling through this, and the surrounding neighborhoods and crying. He has no tags on without his collar. He would come if he could hear me. He is chipped but what if someone gets him and doesn't get him scanned. Someone had to get him, he would come if he could hear me.

Frankie no!! :ohdear: I'm so sorry, Super, I really hope you find him. I would be flipping the gently caress out too. And holy poo poo your stepdad is terrible. I would say I can't believe he wouldn't call you, but from what you've said about your parents, I totally can.

Good luck :(

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Oh no Big Frank :ohdear:

I hope he turns up! Have you put a description in with your local shelters?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Oh no Super :(. I'm sure you'll have him back soon.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

Best of luck to your search. A lost pet is always a terrible thing. I hope that he comes back soon and smells bad from his adventure and you can complain about having to give him a bath.

I know it doesn't help in reality, but my thoughts are with you and Frankie.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

The shelter is closed. Put an ad on craigslist just now. Notifying local facebook rescue people next. Calling animal control, humane society, and vets offices tomorrow as soon as they open.

We had two more days here and he would have been safe. No one even called to tell me "hey Frankies gone." No one told me when I got home. "Where's Frankie?" "Oh, he ran off."

edit: thanks guys

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Well, depending where you are in the US, you probably need to keep your dog on a long leash or at least have a really solid recall because there are bears and cougars and some really huge racoons.

I hope Frankie gets back soon. Remember to sit quietly and breathe deeply, as you'll make stupid decisions if you're too wound up. Do you have enough money and stuff to print posters? Will your work let you take off a day so you can continue searching?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

:ohdear: I hope you find Frankie, Super. That sounds terrifying. Do you know anyone in the area he got loose in? Can you ask them if they've seen him?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

^^^He was in the front yard peeing when he slipped it, apparently. I've asked everyone on this street and knocked on every door on this side of the neighborhood and then doors of houses that looked like kids lived there (figured kids would be more likely to notice doggy) and the doors of people I knew. Kids were in school, parents at work, no one said they saw anything. Knocked randomly on doors in other neighborhoods too, nothing.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Well, depending where you are in the US, you probably need to keep your dog on a long leash or at least have a really solid recall because there are bears and cougars and some really huge racoons.

He was leashed, he slipped his collar and my stepdad won't explain how. He is afraid of my stepdad and wouldn't come to him in a million years. He probably didn't call him.

quote:

I hope Frankie gets back soon. Remember to sit quietly and breathe deeply, as you'll make stupid decisions if you're too wound up. Do you have enough money and stuff to print posters? Will your work let you take off a day so you can continue searching?

Thanks. Yeah, putting together a poster now. It's better than sitting here hyperventilating. My work is wonderful and will let me do whatever I need to do, thankfully.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 30, 2012

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Superconsndar posted:

We had two more days here and he would have been safe. No one even called to tell me "hey Frankies gone." No one told me when I got home. "Where's Frankie?" "Oh, he ran off."

Goddamn, that is horrible. I hope you find him soon :(

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Oh no, Super. Not Frankie. If I lived close I would walk around with you.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Superconsndar posted:

He was leashed, he slipped his collar and my stepdad won't explain how. He is afraid of my stepdad and wouldn't come to him in a million years. He probably didn't call him.

No, not you, silly. We've been talking about varying customs of off-leash dogs between countries for the last page and a half. I should have made it clearer that they were two different topics, sorry.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
Holy poo poo :ohdear: come home Frank :negative:

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Oh, no, Frankie! Zoso can't handle being the only broke dog here. I hope he turns up soon :sympathy:

My husband and I are both writing our own versions of the Raven because...? Here's a brief bit from mine:

quote:

And the hanging banging clanging of each wooden slated shade
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastically boring bores;
So that now, to still the feeling of a fart, I stood repeating
''Tis some beagle dragging junk across my chamber floor -
Some stinky beagle dragging junk across my chamber floor, -
This it is, and nothing more,'

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

No, not you, silly. We've been talking about varying customs of off-leash dogs between countries for the last page and a half. I should have made it clearer that they were two different topics, sorry.

no, sorry, i should have read, brain is fried

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

Superconsndar posted:

Oh no, Frankie :ohdear:

Would you consider trying http://www.findtoto.com/? Especially if you think someone may have taken him in. I remember getting a call about someone's lost dog through a similar service, and while I didn't find the dog, I did keep my eyes out. I'd be willing to chip in :20bux: if money is an issue =\

So sorry super :smith:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Abbeh posted:

My husband and I are both writing our own versions of the Raven because...? Here's a brief bit from mine:

"Quoth the beagle, 'AWOOOOO WOOO WOOOOOOO'"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Frankie!

Posters will be a huge help. I imagine somebody has him inside now and is trying to figure out if they have a chupacabra or not and will give you a call as soon as they see the posters around the neighborhood in the morning.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Maybe Moses wants to eat Frankie enough that he would follow his fart scent trail?

(I don't really know how dogs work)

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
FRANKIE!!! I'm not sure where you live but I feel like I should go there immediately and help you find Frankie.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I hope Frankie makes his way home soon Super.

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008
Super, if I am remembering right, you live in my state (GA). PM me if you would like and I'll see if it's possible for me to help you look for Frankie. I'm off work until Monday at this point so if you're not hours away, I'd be happy to help.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

no, sorry, i should have read, brain is fried

No need to apologize, you're in a stressful situation atm.

I hope he comes home safe and sound!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Oh my god you guys. I posted on the local rescue network's facebook(s) and they instantly shared it a billion times and not 10 minutes later my phone rang. A family almost hit him on the (busy) road next to my subdivision and pulled over for him and he jumped right into their car. Their daughter immediately claimed him and they TOLD her he definitely belonged to somebody but she decided he was hers and she was crying in the background when the mom called me, lmao. :( They had him at home all afternoon and were going to see if anyone had put up posters for him in the morning.

He is fine and has been walked by a little girl for most of the afternoon and has a big fat slop belly FULL of Beneful. He was happy to see me but to be honest he is Frankie so he would have been just as happy to stay there probably.

I felt bad for the little girl, she was bawling. Her parents said she has been begging for a dog for a billion years and that maybe it is time to get her one. :3: I gave her $20 since it was all I had in my purse and told her she was awesome. I was crying too and then everyone was crying so it was kind of weird but whatever!!

So yeah, facebook found my lost dog with no identification while he was currently on the other side of town at a total strangers house, all in less than 15 minutes.

I am going to go collapse and probably cry a bunch. I got the keys to my house today, and am moving saturday, so they've gotta get through one more day before they're safe from my loving parents. I am crating them and putting padlocks on the crates. I am completely serious, they randomly decide to do random poo poo with my dogs and this is the result and just, no. I bought locks on the way home, I wish I was joking.

Also....I think I just learned not to crap all over rescue ladies so much. :ohdear:

ohmygod frankies okay

edit: and also thank all you guys, <3 PI

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Yay! I'm glad he's ok, and hopefully that little girl will be getting a pup soon.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

He is fine and has been walked by a little girl for most of the afternoon and has a big fat slop belly FULL of Beneful. He was happy to see me but to be honest he is Frankie so he would have been just as happy to stay there probably.

And I bet he loved that Beneful. :smug:

Yay for finding dogs!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hooray Frankie!

Steal Gumbo and give him to that little girl :3:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Was about to post my well wishes when I saw you found Frankie! Goddamn this really does put back some of my hope in the human race, that family was awesome. :3:

Yeah my friend went through a similar thing, her family just lost her cockatoo and didn't tell her until 5 hours later when she came back from school. Sad thing is that they never did find the cockatoo. :smith:

EDIT: Seconded, oh my god that girl deserves to have Gumbo forever and ever. :3:

Undead Waterfowl
Dec 29, 2008
YAY!!! SO glad to hear! I don't blame you for a second for locking the boys up. Moses will probably start twitching before Saturday, but he'll survive and then will have plenty of play time. If my family was that retarded with my cats... I think I'd go murderously, noisily insane. Good luck with your move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

Happy Ending to the Adventures of Frankie

:woop:

Yay for being reunited with your little, farty buddy. That is great that he was returned so quickly after word got out! It is like the Twilight Bark, except you did not end up with 101 Frankies at the end.

• Locked thread