Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've had the Bonvita since March or so and it's been great. I don't use it that often but the temp is there and it's very quick to start pumping hot water. Well worth the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragonWC99
Nov 4, 2004
Just to let you guys know metropolis is having a Cyber Monday Sale. $2.00 off per lb.

http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/shop/coffee-1/

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Doh004 posted:

Mexico procuces coffee? Well I'll be damned.

Surprised me too, but I picked some up from my local roaster right before Thanksgiving and it's tasty stuff. I'm a huge Guatemala fan in general, and also had some really good Honduran beans a month or so ago but I understand they were some sort of small batch thing.

Then again Malabar is one of my favorites so maybe you should ignore my opinion given the dislike of Indian stuff.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
How many of you can actually detect specific flavor notes in coffee? I can never pick out any of the notes listed yet I always base what I buy off them. I feel like I should just blindly pick by what has the most interesting name to say.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

geetee posted:

How many of you can actually detect specific flavor notes in coffee? I can never pick out any of the notes listed yet I always base what I buy off them.
I'm the same way. Even though I couldn't pick out such individual notes, it at least gives me an idea of things such as acidity and body, which I have a better understanding of.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sweet Maria's has a Panamanian Gesha in. I stocked up on their Guatemalan Acetenango Gesha last time they had it, and it is awesome. Anyone looking for something unique or with money to burn, may be worth picking up a lb.

geetee posted:

How many of you can actually detect specific flavor notes in coffee? I can never pick out any of the notes listed yet I always base what I buy off them. I feel like I should just blindly pick by what has the most interesting name to say.

Like wine and liquor, coffee tasting notes are just what the cupper (taster) identifies as flavor notes that are similar to the qualities of random things in their head. It doesn't necessarily mean that it tastes exactly like blueberries or whatever, it just means that it has a similar quality. I think with time one can eventually decipher the language of tasting notes into familiar aromas and presentations on the palate in the context of coffee.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

geetee posted:

It all depends. Augie's has an ethopian with a flavor note of "fruity pebbles." It is accurate.
I love coffee.
Generally city roast ethopians and the like will be more obvious.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
I don't really have a great sense of smell, so when I buy coffee I might as well just be choosing which names sound the coolest, but I still don't think I'd buy beans that had notes of "cucumber" and "shallots".

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Flavour and aroma profiles are complicated. They aren't necessarily saying it literally tastes like eating a bowl of raw shallots, just that one of the components reminds them of shallots in some way. There are a couple of styles of cupping notes. The "official" way uses a flavour wheel with well-defined categories, but a lot of places use the "write down all the random poo poo that comes to mind" style.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Picked up some Yemen and Sumatran coffee from Sweet Maria's last night. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I know what I'll be trying out next time too :)

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
That flavor wheel is interesting, thanks. I feel even more hopeless with wines, but pretty much the same issue. Going to do some reading tonight on cupping.

Do any roasters have sample packs with ~50g per coffee? It's so hard to compare when you're spending a couple weeks finishing a single bag before it goes stale.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

geetee posted:

Do any roasters have sample packs with ~50g per coffee? It's so hard to compare when you're spending a couple weeks finishing a single bag before it goes stale.

This is what I need. There's a store near me that sells small sample packs but who knows when some of them have been roasted...I suppose it could be worth a try though...am I really going to lose much of the flavor profile from coffee that was roasted a few weeks prior? I assume I'll still get the gist of what type of flavors are there? I'm mainly just trying to find out what regions I like without buying 1/2 pound at a time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Green Coffee is good for 15 months
Roasted Coffee is good for 15 days
Ground Coffee is good for 15 minutes

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

traveling midget posted:

Green Coffee is good for 15 months
Roasted Coffee is good for 15 days
Ground Coffee is good for 15 minutes

To go off of this, I haven't had a single origin that I couldn't stand from Sweet Maria's. A lb of whatever is usually, what, $8? Try it out, and if you really can't stand it just make cold brew and drink delicious iced coffee that doesn't really need the worlds greatest beans to taste good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bob_McBob posted:

Flavour and aroma profiles are complicated. They aren't necessarily saying it literally tastes like eating a bowl of raw shallots, just that one of the components reminds them of shallots in some way. There are a couple of styles of cupping notes. The "official" way uses a flavour wheel with well-defined categories, but a lot of places use the "write down all the random poo poo that comes to mind" style.

I have to ask, what the hell is "balsamic rice?"

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Hauki posted:

I have to ask, what the hell is "balsamic rice?"

Google knows!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

To me coffee is like tea or beer, I can definitely tell the differences between different individual drinks and I can id what type they are but drat if I can describe them.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Loucks posted:

Google knows!
Google autocorrects it to basmati, and even when I force it to search for balsamic and rice it still just pulls up results for basmati.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Hauki posted:

Google autocorrects it to basmati, and even when I force it to search for balsamic and rice it still just pulls up results for basmati.

I don't know what to tell you. It works for me:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Some one bought me a Baratza virtuoso for my birthday :o. The joke is that my espresso maker is currently broken and waiting for a part.

I decided to make french press with my Intelligentcia black cat espresso beans!

I followed the chart on sweet maria's and made a press pot: 16oz water, 28g, and steeped 5 minutes. I set the new grinder to "26" as that is what it suggests as a starting point for press pot. It made a ridiculously weak cup of coffee, water barely brown weak.

More coffee? Different grind? I am not trying to become a french press master, but I might not have much else for a week or so.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Some one bought me a Baratza virtuoso for my birthday :o. The joke is that my espresso maker is currently broken and waiting for a part.

I decided to make french press with my Intelligentcia black cat espresso beans!

I followed the chart on sweet maria's and made a press pot: 16oz water, 28g, and steeped 5 minutes. I set the new grinder to "26" as that is what it suggests as a starting point for press pot. It made a ridiculously weak cup of coffee, water barely brown weak.

More coffee? Different grind? I am not trying to become a french press master, but I might not have much else for a week or so.
I would suggest checking your measurements again. I use 60-70g/L over 4 minutes which falls into approximately the same ratios and it makes a fairly substantial cup. I use a Virtuoso Preciso, and a '26' is pretty close to my macro setting for french press. What does the grind on your '26' look like?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Hauki posted:

I would suggest checking your measurements again. I use 60-70g/L over 4 minutes which falls into approximately the same ratios and it makes a fairly substantial cup. I use a Virtuoso Preciso, and a '26' is pretty close to my macro setting for french press. What does the grind on your '26' look like?

Pretty chunky grinds at 26, but I am used to espresso, so I may be bias.

I found sweet Maria's full French press guide and it said that plunging should require a decent bit of force. I ground again at 20 and I could still plunge that thing with my pinky in a heart beat.

I will try even lower. Maybe the grinder needs to be calibrated? This doesn't bode well for grinding espresso :p.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Do I want to get a coffee roaster for Christmas? I'm getting tired of being raped on shipping every time I buy a bag of beans. I can't drink enough to double up on orders before going stale.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Pretty chunky grinds at 26, but I am used to espresso, so I may be bias.

I found sweet Maria's full French press guide and it said that plunging should require a decent bit of force. I ground again at 20 and I could still plunge that thing with my pinky in a heart beat.

I will try even lower. Maybe the grinder needs to be calibrated? This doesn't bode well for grinding espresso :p.
I needed a morning cup anyway, so I took some crappy photos of the process on my phone so you could see the grind size & amount of coffee for the size of the press.
30g of coffee ground on my '26' to 500 ml of water, 4 minutes with a 'break and clean' as suggested by jimseven/James Hoffmann. Oh, and I definitely don't encounter much resistance when plunging.

geetee posted:

Do I want to get a coffee roaster for Christmas? I'm getting tired of being raped on shipping every time I buy a bag of beans. I can't drink enough to double up on orders before going stale.
Of course you do!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Today, at Handsome Coffee in LA, I noticed that they were selling 5 different types of coffemakers, but just one grinder (manual). Although I'm pretty new to this--still haven't brewed my first Aeropress cup yet--shouldn't they be stocking good grinders since they're so important?

Can't wait for my Bodum Bistro to come on in...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mandalay posted:

Today, at Handsome Coffee in LA, I noticed that they were selling 5 different types of coffemakers, but just one grinder (manual). Although I'm pretty new to this--still haven't brewed my first Aeropress cup yet--shouldn't they be stocking good grinders since they're so important?

Kinda has to do with turnover. They're not going to sell $350-$500 grinders very often, if at all, so they just don't bother. Most places will at least stock a Capresso Infinity or a Baratza Encore or something at the 100bux level.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

GrAviTy84 posted:

Kinda has to do with turnover. They're not going to sell $350-$500 grinders very often, if at all, so they just don't bother. Most places will at least stock a Capresso Infinity or a Baratza Encore or something at the 100bux level.

It's not a cheap coffee shop, given that they sell drip coffee from a thermal container for $4 (i.e. not single-cup brew, just from the spigot).

And they're certainly very conscientious about their coffee, with the on-site roaster that supplies half of LA's good shops, and single-origin beans at $24/lb.

Oh well, it's just a weird thing I was wondering about.

VVV: Was just talking about their store. With all this love for Baratza on Seattlecoffeegear and coffeegeek, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have sprung for an Encore instead of my Bodum Bistro given that they're in the same price range. The idea of cleaning static-clung coffee at my desk sounds awful, though.

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 28, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mandalay posted:

It's not a cheap coffee shop, given that they sell drip coffee from a thermal container for $4 (i.e. not single-cup brew, just from the spigot).

And they're certainly very conscientious about their coffee, with the on-site roaster that supplies half of LA's good shops, and single-origin beans at $24/lb.

Oh well, it's just a weird thing I was wondering about.

just because it's not cheap doesn't mean it's good

They're a business first and foremost. There's no point in carrying a product that no one will buy.

Edit: They have a Baratza Preciso and Vario on their website...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

geetee posted:

You should get a popcorn popper!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GrAviTy84 posted:

They're a business first and foremost. There's no point in carrying a product that no one will buy.
Not only a product no one will buy, but a product almost anyone will buy on the internet first.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Doh004 posted:

You should get a popcorn popper!

My kitchen has horrible ventilation; the smoke would fill my entire apartment. I would get something I can use from my parent's garage for a week's worth of beans.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

geetee posted:

Shop around for better shipping deals. Order in larger amounts, tape over the bag valves and freeze most of them, then remove from the freezer a bag at a time as required.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sweet Maria's has a Panamanian Gesha in.

I just saw on the news that apparently Starbucks has acquired some of this and is charging $7/cup. Any idea how much they burn it though? :iiam:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob_McBob posted:

Shop around for better shipping deals. Order in larger amounts, tape over the bag valves and freeze most of them, then remove from the freezer a bag at a time as required.

What? No.

Buying MORE and sitting on it is the exact opposite of what he should do.

Freezing coffee is not magic. It'll still be stale.

If you're not a big quantity drinker, try buying from a local roaster. You can get smaller quantities and it'll be fresher than having something shipped.

The only academic research that has ever demonstrated any benefit of freezing involved -40F temperatures and vacuum-sealing. And still, it's a perishable product that has a 10-15 day shelf life. It's also not particularly expensive. Freezing is a waste.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 29, 2012

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

nwin posted:

I just saw on the news that apparently Starbucks has acquired some of this and is charging $7/cup. Any idea how much they burn it though? :iiam:

All the way, I'm sure.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

geetee posted:

If you want to start homeroasting, realize that it is as much a hobby, as it is a chore, as it is a method of creating delicious coffee.

I roast 1/3 cup each time, which gives me enough coffee for two mornings of my household consumption. That means I'd have to roast every other day to keep myself set. If you drink even less, you can get away with less often.

What I end up doing is bulk roasting on the weekend, giving myself enough for the next week+, depending on how lazy I am that day.

For you, that'd probably be good: Roast a few times in a row on any given day, and you can roast yourself the exact amount you'll drink before they get stale.

I saw you mentioned concerns about smoke: I don't know how smoky popcorn poppers are, but I run a FreshRoast SR500 and it's not "smoky" so to say, there's not a grey cloud through my house, but there's a strong aroma and it will set off my kitchen fire alarm.

Good luck!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

traveling midget posted:

If you're not a big quantity drinker, try buying from a local roaster. You can get smaller quantities and it'll be fresher than having something shipped.

How long have bags at local Peets/Tullys been sitting there in the store post-roast?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Double-posting because I just made my first cup of coffee, ever, from whole bean to cup.

Used two-year old coffee from Hawaii called "Will and Grace" that brags about placing 8th in SCAA competition. The gram scale hasn't arrived yet but I was too excited to wait.

I feel like I'm already making coffee better than both the office Keurig machine with the Aeropress inversion despite my complete inexperience and years old beans. Crazy.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

traveling midget posted:

What? No.

Buying MORE and sitting on it is the exact opposite of what he should do.

Freezing coffee is not magic. It'll still be stale.

Short-term freezing in typical home freezers as described in my post works fine, and maintains coffee freshness. This is backed up by a mountain of anecdotal and carefully controlled experimental evidence from numerous people in the high-end home espresso community. It is often the only financially viable way to mail order coffee because of exactly the reason geetee mentioned (shipping).

Coffee: To Freeze or Not to Freeze

traveling midget posted:

This is only a reasonable suggestion if you have a decent local roaster. I would be very sad indeed if I could only drink the garbage most of the local roasters produce. I see geetee lives in NY, so depending on the specific location, there are probably a few good ones, or cafes that carry good retail bags. Having good local roasters doesn't mean you shouldn't try non-local roasters because you are afraid of freezing, though.

Every roaster I order from roasts to order. I am careful about shipping methods and transit times. I typically receive coffee the day after it was roasted. Freshness should not be an issue with a good roaster unless you opt for a slow delivery method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm thinking about spending about $200 dollars on an espresso machine and am currently considering 2 options:

1. Saeco Aroma refurbished $129
Unpressurized portafilter $50
for a total of ~179
or

2. Some Gaggia machine $170-250

From some of the previous pages, I saw that the aroma is about the cheapest recommended machine and in this case would have the advantage of the extra pressurized filter in case I'm lazy or if my current grinder just doesn't cut it. I'm currently leaning towards getting the aroma, but is there a reason to get a different machine in the price area (Gaggia Pure, DeLonghi EC155, etc)?