Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Hey spoon-goons, I need some help. My boyfriend is really into cooking and his birthday is coming up so I want get him some cool kitchen-gear, but I'm also kind of on a budget because he had the gall to be born in mid-December. Any ideas for must-have items for an amateur-chef?

I was looking at kitchenaid-type machines but they really don't seem to be worth their money if it's not the real thing. So I want to get him several, less expensive, items like a good cast-iron pan and a real wok. I like cooking just fine but it's not really my area of expertise, what else should I be looking at? Tia. :)

What does he like to cook? That can help us narrow down some recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nothing wrong with MSG though. Like the fight against nitra(i)tes and "funny sounding words" most of the fearmongering is pseudoscience at best stupidity at worst.

Yeah I know, but MSG still feels "wrong" if only just because it feels like it's "cheating" to get that savory flavor

I'll get over it eventually :p

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 29, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Hey spoon-goons, I need some help. My boyfriend is really into cooking and his birthday is coming up so I want get him some cool kitchen-gear, but I'm also kind of on a budget because he had the gall to be born in mid-December. Any ideas for must-have items for an amateur-chef?

I was looking at kitchenaid-type machines but they really don't seem to be worth their money if it's not the real thing. So I want to get him several, less expensive, items like a good cast-iron pan and a real wok. I like cooking just fine but it's not really my area of expertise, what else should I be looking at? Tia. :)

A decent knife is a pretty good bet. What's the budget?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scientastic posted:

I wouldn't go for a knife if it's going to be a surprise because so much of what makes a good knife is how it feels when you handle it.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

GrAviTy84 posted:

What does he like to cook? That can help us narrow down some recommendations.
Pretty much everything, he's just starting to get into it more so I want to help him step up his game. He likes classic food, loves both meat&fish-dishes and uses our oven a lot.

Scientastic posted:

Ideally <€100, I'd love to get him a few things that last like a good knife and a good cast-iron skillet and have money left for small handy accessories. Is that even feasible? :ohdear:

edit: can't math :downs:

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 29, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Ideally >€100, I'd love to get him a few things that last like a good knife and a good cast-iron skillet and have money left for small handy accessories. Is that even feasible? :ohdear:

You mean "<€100"...

I'd say a good knife was easily feasible for that money, but I'm not a huge expert, as Aramoro has just demonstrated!

It might not be very exciting, but I seriously love my ricer...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I picked up some star aniseed from an amazing Chinese cash/carry (:swoon:) because I love aniseed, and then I promptly realised I have no idea what on earth to do with it. Any tips/ideas?

Fraction fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2012

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I still think a nice knife would be great if you don't need to have the surprise factor of a ready to use knife in a box to be opened. You could cut out a cardboard knife with "I'll take you knife shopping" on it to wrap up or something like that. If that doesn't appeal, a nice end grain wooden cutting board is a beautiful gift or a nice oven safe stainless steel pan.

Some smaller items if you want to get a collection of things:

microplane grater
scale
spatula, wooden spoons, kitchen tongs
nice jelly roll pans
larger mixing bowl (to mix a cake batter or hold bread dough)
smaller mixing/prep bowls - I have a set of 6 or 8 bowls that range from just about a cup and a half size to 2 quarts, I find them really handy to use to hold cut up vegetables, meats, and batters when I'm making something with a number of different ingredients
whisk
pepper grinder

Not sure what of the above he already has but these are some of the things I use most often.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Pretty much everything, he's just starting to get into it more so I want to help him step up his game. He likes classic food, loves both meat&fish-dishes and uses our oven a lot.

Ideally <€100, I'd love to get him a few things that last like a good knife and a good cast-iron skillet and have money left for small handy accessories. Is that even feasible? :ohdear:

edit: can't math :downs:

Depending on what his current knife is I wouldn't upgrade to a ~$125 knife, so if he has a nice knife(knives) I wouldn't go that route, especially because of what Aramoro said. There are a lot of variables like knife geometry, handle contour and type, steel, beveling, etc that can all depend on personal preferences.

If he likes cooking Asian foods, a real wok could be cool, especially when paired with a jet burner like the Camp Chef SP1 and a propane tank. This combo gets you serious BTUs for a low(ish) price.

a pizza peel, bread stone/steelslab could be cool if he's a bread maker

a mandoline is useful all over the kitchen, as are microplanes, quality spatulas, whisks, tongs.

Cast Iron skillet is also a good idea.

Edit: what mich said about taking him knife shopping is a great idea. Then you can have some quality time with him as he spergs on about metallurgy and the finer points of HRC to edge retention.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The single greatest cooking item I have in my house is my enameled cast iron dutch oven. I use it very nearly every day.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/enameled-cast-iron/color-enamel-dutch-oven-EC6D43

So I would recommend that as a gift for sure! Everyone's previous recommendations have been great too.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Saint Darwin posted:

So I done gots me a hunk of chuck roast and no idea what I should do to slow cook it. I've been doing slow cooked beef recently that has amounted to "throw in garlic, onion, carrot, potatoes, sear meat with a ton of the herbs on the outside, deglaze pan with red wine, put all in slow cooker and cook"

It's great but I want to try something new. Any ideas?

I hate to bump my own post, but I didn't see an answer and I have to use this meat TONIGHT.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

I hate to bump my own post, but I didn't see an answer and I have to use this meat TONIGHT.

Anything braised:

chili, bourguignon, pot au feu, rendang, penang, ragu neapolitan, chinese beef noodle soup, etc.

or grind it into burgers.

Jmcrofts posted:

The single greatest cooking item I have in my house is my enameled cast iron dutch oven. I use it very nearly every day.

So I would recommend that as a gift for sure! Everyone's previous recommendations have been great too.

If one was to go the enamel dutch oven route, I highly recommend Staub over all the others. That would be beyond the range of the request though.

Time Trial
Aug 5, 2004

A saucerful of cyanide
Looking for impressive but easy to make in bulk holiday treats for friends/coworkers. I've done truffles (so much work) and peanut brittle (easy but comments about being to sticky were had) in the past. Ideally suggestions will not involve mixing cocoa powder with cream cheese. Is there a thread for this yet?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jmcrofts posted:

$40-50 at Ralph's (Kroger)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Time Trial posted:

Looking for impressive but easy to make in bulk holiday treats for friends/coworkers. I've done truffles (so much work) and peanut brittle (easy but comments about being to sticky were had) in the past. Ideally suggestions will not involve mixing cocoa powder with cream cheese. Is there a thread for this yet?

Twisted sugar cookies are easy to churn out in huge batches.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
$49 from Amazon.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

SubG posted:

Recommendations for what application?

I dunno. General snacking and sandwiches?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've come into possession of a few yellow and orange bell peppers, which I don't normally cook with since they have a sweeter, less-peppery (in my mind) taste than their red and green counterparts. Any suggestions as to what I should do with them? Bonus points if the idea involves a slow cooker.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Stuffed peppers!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It's my turn to cook dinner for our little group Saturday, and I've been wanting to eat/cook paella for a while now. Does anyone know of a simple but still good recipe that ideally wouldn't take more than 1-1.5 hours to prepare?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Tell me the best thing I could possibly make to showcase some home grown Meyer lemons. I think I have like 6 lemons about ready to be picked.

Edit: 7 lemons, actually.

Randomity fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 30, 2012

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Buy him this knife immediately. Even though some people suggested avoiding getting him a knife, it is so cheap and such a step up from the typical knives home cooks use that even if it doesn't have a 100% perfect feel in his hand, it will still be a massive upgrade from what he's probably using right now. Plus, it's cheap enough that it'll still leave money in your budget for other stuff.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Randomity posted:

Tell me the best thing I could possibly make to showcase some home grown Meyer lemons. I think I have like 6 lemons about ready to be picked.

Edit: 7 lemons, actually.

Lemon curd, then use it in lemon bars

then have a lemon party

rdgb
Sep 24, 2007

I'm the man, and the mans the man, and that's just the way it is.
Hi, I've never roast a chicken before and I bought one that already has a bunch of stuff on it. It's got herbs and such on it plus its already stuffed with pork sage and onion (I imagine it's better to just buy a regular chicken but this was in the reduced section). It doesn't have cooking guidelines so I was wondering if the following is correct.

(I have one fan oven by the way)
preheat oven at 190 C, put (1.5kg)chicken in roasting tray with foil loosely placed on top
cook it for a total of 110 minutes turning half way
put potatos in when i turn it

Is that a good enough temperature for cooking chicken and potatos at the same time? Is it in for long enough? Should I take the pork stuffing out? Also since the point of this exercise is for me to try the whole "be fed by a whole chicken for days", is there an issue with the left over meat considering the chicken has pork stuffing in it?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I am going to make some ravioli tonight with some leftover turkey (from a bird cooked wednesday, so it's not old thanksgiving turkey or anything). Two questions:

1. Any recommendations on a good dough recipe? I know it's just flour, eggs, oil, salt, and water but I'm not sure as to what the best ratio would be.

2. What should I fill them with other than the (dark meat) turkey? Ricotta? Parmesan? Minced onion? I'm going to toss them with a parsley-walnut pesto after cooking.

Thanks!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Time Trial posted:

Chrismahanukwanzakah: The *Holiday* Meal Planning, Recipe Sharing Thread

I also saw a more general craft/gift/etc. thread in GBS which had some easy recipes in it.

Edit: also try this thread: Infuse your booze: Home-made liqueurs and flavoured spirits

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 30, 2012

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm looking into getting my first set of cookware and I'm looking for some recommendations. Only requirements are induction friendly and in the $50-$60ish price area. (Maybe from someplace like Amazon?)

Also what's the consensus on non-stick cookware? Are they safe? The stuff I'm reading is that they are relatively safe but with the caveats that you should always wash them a certain way, make sure they don't get too hot, don't use metal utensils with them. If it's that easy to scrape off the non-stick coating maybe it would just be better to not use non-stick so I don't have to be paranoid about it. But maybe it's not that big a deal?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 1, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can't get shallots where I live, but I've recently found bags of dried shallots in my Thai import joint. Are they any good? How would I use them as opposed to fresh ones?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

Also what's the consensus on non-stick cookware? Are they safe? The stuff I'm reading is that they are relatively safe but with the caveats that you should always wash them a certain way, make sure they don't get too hot, don't use metal utensils with them. If it's that easy to scrape off the non-stick coating maybe it would just be better to not use non-stick so I don't have to be paranoid about it. But maybe it's not that big a deal?

Don't get a set, just get one pan.

Never cook on high unless there's food inside it

Never use green abrasive side of sponge, just use the sponge side or the abrasive side of a sponge that says it's safe for nonstick

Don't use metal utensils, only wood, plastic or silicone

Don't wash in machine

Don't let stuff burn, especially sugary sauces

It will fall apart eventually, but if you follow those rules and it should last a few years.

And most importantly

Never feed after midnight

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

So I'm looking into getting my first set of cookware and I'm looking for some recommendations. Only requirements are induction friendly and in the $50-$60ish price area. (Maybe from someplace like Amazon?)

The general concensus is that non-stick isn't really worth it. Get one small pan for eggs, as cheap as you can get, and expect to replace it every year or two.

As a cast-iron junky I'd suggest that if you'd like a truly non-stick pan that will never wear out / break / warp / etc., get a decent cast iron skillet and cook bacon in it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I use nonstick for eggs and stainless or cast iron for everything else. This strategy has served me pretty well.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I only use my non-stick for omelets and that's mostly due to the gradual sides, since nothing really sticks to my cast iron.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

depends on what I'm doing but I use nonstick for a lot of my fast lazy foods. Eggs/omelettes/etc of course. Quick sauteing veg, finishing pasta, etc. It's also super fast to clean if you care for it well.

I have lots of cast iron stuff, too, and it's great, but for supremely lazy cooking, it takes way too long to heat up.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You can get a cheap non-stick pan for super cheap. Don't think of it as a long term investment. Treat it nice, but don't feel bad when you toss it out in 6 months or a year to get a new one.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I really like my hard anodized aluminum cookware. It's not quite as nonstick now as it was when I bought it, but still very good, and it's safe to get it very hot unlike Teflon coated pans. And you can use metal utensils in it. I do feel that it will need to be replaced much more quickly than my stainless steel, but it's already outlasted any Teflon I've ever owned.

I bought mine at Costco and got a really good price on it, and will probably buy the same set in a couple more years when this stuff gives out.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
Has anybody here made Har Gow before? (Chinese shrimp dumplings)

I offered to make soup, then unthinkingly added dumplings, and MY BOSS took that to mean I was bringing a full dim sum spread. She requested steamed pork buns and har gow.

No pressure, though.

Any good recipes that people have tried personally and like? Either delicious or authentic, preferably both?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I made the below recipe exactly as specified, except I used 12oz of shredded cheddar cheese instead of American cheese, because I wasn't sure what American cheese was. It tasted great, but it separated into a soupy cream part and a more solid cheese part, so we had to keep stirring it. Did subbing out the cheese mess up the texture, or is there something else I'm missing?

From http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/2135/

Ingredients

1 Tbsp cooking oil (veggie, olive, canola - whatever you have)
1/4 cup white onion, diced
1 large jalapeno or serrano, seeds and stem removed; diced
12 oz white American cheese (I have the deli give me 3 slices on 10), shredded
4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (optional; don't use pre-shredded)
1/4-2/3 cup cream, half-and-half, or whole milk
1 roma tomato, seeds removed and diced
1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Instructions

Heat the oil in a saute pan. Cook the onion and pepper until softened and reduce heat to medium-low.
Add the shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of the cream. Stir until mostly melted.
Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency.
Serve with chips, on migas, or my favorite - a stack of still-warm homemade tortillas.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
American is basically fake cheddar, you probably got something that tasted better but the american probably would've melted more uniformly as it's more processed.

I bet you could alter that to melt the cheddar better but I have found that some brands melt completely different in general so I have no advice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think American cheese was invented with a priority on melting easier, so that's a good bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Steve Yun posted:

I think American cheese was invented with a priority on melting easier, so that's a good bet.

You can get real cheddar to melt just fine with some sodium citrate or melting together on low heat a 3:1 to 2:1 ratio of cheddar to Velveeta (which probably has a bunch of the aforementioned sodium citrate).

The sodium citrate is what allows super smooth melting of processed cheeses without resorting to flour roux and other things like that, which might make the final cheese sauce texture ever so slightly grainy.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 1, 2012