Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

laz0rbeak posted:

I just finished reading through Claremont's first Uncanny X-Men and wow does the quality swan-dive the minute he's gone. At this point Whilce Portacio is trying his best to be Jim Lee and it just ain't happening.

From Uncanny X-Men #281:

Haha, I remember reading this exact page as a kid and being so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Looking at that page as an adult I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with it. I like that first panel but I'm not gonna lie, it's mainly because of Emma's boobies being composed and placed so as to literally point you into the frame. The rest of the page is an incomprehensible mess.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I can't stop trying to figure out what the hell is that armor the guy in the last panel is wearing. Glass? Ice? It's one giant piece! Goddamn, the 90s!

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Superstring posted:

I can't stop trying to figure out what the hell is that armor the guy in the last panel is wearing. Glass? Ice? It's one giant piece! Goddamn, the 90s!

Crystal of course!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

I assumed it was the cool training armor from Dune. The slow blade penetrates the shield!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 30, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's super future armor, so it's some material we've never even heard of!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Endless Mike posted:

It's super future armor, so it's some material we've never even heard of!

It is clearly cellophane. Dude looks like a god damned gift basket. The worst gift basket ever, loaded with incoherence and Liefeld Pecs instead of delicious fruit.

Maybe also loaded with fruit, but dear god not delicious.

:gay:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I also thought it was some kind of giant plastic bag thing like some kind of Easter basket. That's not what it is? Help.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It's omnium mesh. See? He says so.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Forge is cool, I wonder why he rarely gets to do anything cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wendell posted:

Forge is cool, I wonder why he rarely gets to do anything cool.
Well, they made him evil then killed him. But now he got better and will be on Cable's X-Force, so he might do something cool there!

EDIT: WTF is a "vibranium polymer"? Vibranium is a metal, not a polymer.

EDIT 2: That onomatopoeia looks like it says "FUNSHAT!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Forge's real mutant power is slamming together sciency sounding words while shooting things.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Forge's real mutant power is slamming together sciency sounding words while shooting things.

You're clearly mistaking Dr. Nemesis' immensely superior self for Forge... and god drat I hope Hopeless doesn't waste how potentially awesome Cable and X-Force could be. I'm not really familiar with what he's done but given that he's also writing grimdark Avengers Arena I guess the outlook is bleak?

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Because you demanded it, here's more awful, incomprehensible 90's Uncanny X-Men art!

This is from the wrap-up of the same arc, Uncanny X-Men 283:

This isn't quite as bad art-wise(although I like how Jean Grey and White Queen are just body doubles wearing different wigs), but sums up how crappy Whilce's plotting was. The whole bit is Jean is presumed dead, but it turns out she switched psyche's with Emma Frost at the last minute through her... powers? Professor X is confused too. What's even crazier is this is just a worse version of an old Claremont plot where White Queen gets a machine that causes her to mind-swap with Storm.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mister Chompers posted:

how potentially awesome Cable and X-Force could be

"Could be"? Didn't that, you know...already happen?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Wasn't Byrne doing the writing on Uncanny at that point?

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Wasn't Byrne doing the writing on Uncanny at that point?

Byrne was brought in to do the dialogue, but Portacio is the credited plotter, with Lee occasionally contributing as co-plotter (though he's not credited this issue). It was Marvel's attempt to bring back the old "Stan Lee" writing method with guys like Jim Lee and McFarlane.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Hahaha, well I would hope he means that a reunion between Cable and the team he created would be awesome, but you never know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Charles Xavier is copping a feel on a comatose woman and nobody seems to have a problem with this.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

Blame Marvel and their naming conventions! Actually meant this roster of X-Force has a lot of potential if written well, have some nice art of them (even though I'm not a fan of Nemesis' design):

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mister Chompers posted:

Blame Marvel and their naming conventions! Actually meant this roster of X-Force has a lot of potential if written well, have some nice art of them (even though I'm not a fan of Nemesis' design):

Ugh Cable's robot arm looks pretty stupid there. Also, wasn't he dead? (Stupid question, I know.)

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Ugh Cable's robot arm looks pretty stupid there. Also, wasn't he dead? (Stupid question, I know.)

He's cured of the technovirus so it's not his old arm and he's an X-Man so he got better, both courtesy Loeb's X-Sanction which you're better off not having read.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Except in his last solo series he became like 90% technovirus! He survives having his throat cut specifically because under the skin he was almost all metal!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

muscles like this? posted:

If you look, under the robot arm is a normal one. He's got a withered little baby arm now where his old robot arm used to be and this looks like it's some kind of prosthetic over the top.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I dislike pretty much every uniform on that cover, but the worst offender by far is Dr. Nemesis. Way to take a classy design and turn it into something as bad as the worst of the 90s character redesigns. Then, add some really horrible emo hair on top of that. Can you imagine how badly classic design Nemesis would rip on this guy?

Edit: Is "random glowing circle" the new pouch, as far as extraneous design elements go?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can thank the popularity of Tony Stark's arc reactor for that, at least partially.

I don't really hate Dr. Nemesis' design, but only because I kept confusing him with Fantomex whenever I saw his old design. The whole "gas mask" plus trenchcoat just screams "trying too hard to be a badass."

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That is obviously a different character. The Nemesis I know would wear the correct size of pants and belt.

I actually like the designs and colors for everyone, but I just can't see Dr. Nemesis's dialogue coming out of that scuba ninja.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
As far as I'm concerned, if he doesn't have a psychic starfish latched onto his head, he's hardly Nemesis.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Why do you even need Forge and Dr. Nemesis (who I still have no idea where he came from, he was just suddenly...there) in the same team?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Why do you even need Forge and Dr. Nemesis (who I still have no idea where he came from, he was just suddenly...there) in the same team?

Because they have completely different specialties.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why is Colossus there? Did he angst up and need to go through the 'dark and edgy' wringer or is he just there to be the token good guy dope?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess you missed the parts where he was the Juggernaught and then went around mutilating animal life because he thought he could make them better.

VVVGod, when you put it that way I hate thebook even more.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 2, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Why is Colossus there? Did he angst up and need to go through the 'dark and edgy' wringer or is he just there to be the token good guy dope?
He's an outlaw after the whole Phoenix Five thing. That's kind of the whole idea of this team. A bunch of outlaws who don't follow the rules. I guess.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That Psylocke drawing is the gift that keeps giving:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You know that position is probably entirely possible to pull off and I'd even be willing to bet there's even a moment in some specific kind of flying spinning kick where we do look like that but why would you draw it? You are supposed to pick out the cool looking moments in movement and put those on the page not the spazzy ones.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

You know that position is probably entirely possible to pull off and I'd even be willing to bet there's even a moment in some specific kind of flying spinning kick where we do look like that but why would you draw it? You are supposed to pick out the cool looking moments in movement and put those on the page not the spazzy ones.

It's so they can show the manchildren that make up most of their audience her rear end and tits. It's that simple. Misogynists drawing for misogynists.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You know Cable makes everybody adhere to a 90's dresscode. It's the only thing that makes sense.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Flython posted:

It's so they can show the manchildren that make up most of their audience her rear end and tits. It's that simple. Misogynists drawing for misogynists.
It's not misogynists, it's just horny weirdos.

SpeedofLife
Mar 11, 2010
Finding the female form attractive and drawing attractive women are both misogynistic. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SpeedofLife posted:

Finding the female form attractive and drawing attractive women are both misogynistic. Got it.

Hahahahaha, look how stupid you are.