Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

SenseLess posted:

On with the updates now. I know i could play already but i kind of like staring at progress bars. Working as IT admin for years damaged me in that way.....

As a contemporary of the Napster/KaZaA-era, I also enjoy* staring at progress bars.

*but it's a gross habit and I also sort of hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EC posted:

Thanks for the advice y'all! :)

I'm excited about picking up some Wii games that I missed like Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1&2...and I guess that's it? I sold my Wii a few years ago after not playing it for a LONG time. Are there any big third party releases I might have missed? I played the early big hits (we loving loved Excite Truck for some reason). I have a 360 & PS3, so exclusive stuff only.

I know the whole joke about Nintendo and third parties, but I promise this is a snark-free question, I just want to pick up any Wii games I might have missed, and I know what Nintendo stuff I'll play.

Everyone recommends Xenoblade (and rightly so), so lets see what else I can suggest...

Muramasa is quite good. It's a 2d sidescrolling fighting game set in feudal japan. It has some basic RPG elements and focuses on the demon swords you carry. (You forge new ones by collecting souls that're just in the wild and dropped by anything you kill).

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Successor to the Sky in the EU/AU) is a really good starfox-style railshooter. The plot's little more than a means to go to the next insane stage, but you can kind-of tell the designers knew this and just rolled on with making insane/awesome levels. It also has two-player co-op. The N64 original is also on the Wii's Virtual Console and it's pretty decent too.

Red Steel 2 is a pretty decent first-person game with a weird cross of the old west and feudal japan that works surprisingly well. It mainly focuses on swordfighting using MotionPlus (and it does it fairly well), but there's also guns as well.

Trauma Center (Second Opinion or New Blood) or Trauma Team are essentially surgery simulators. The plot tends to take an anime twist with 'super parasites' that amount to miniboss and boss fights, but there's some regular surgery missions and overall they're very good games.

Sonic Colours is a really good 3D Sonic game (I personally like it better than Generations, but that one's good too).

de Blob (either of them) is a great 3D platformer based around paint and colour. It's got a looney tunes vibe and it's just plain fun (there's an LP going on in the subforum if you want to check that out).

Madworld is a third-person action game that's built around environment kills. You might get points for beating a dude to death, but you'd get more for slapping a tire around him, driving the pole of a street sign through his head, and finishing him off by throwing him onto a wall of spikes. While Greg Proops and John Dimaggio provide commentary.

The Last Story I keep recommending this game, and that's because it's wonderful. It's an action RPG by the original creator of Final Fantasy and the story's on par with the older ones. Admittedly, it's hard to find (in the US), but it's worth mentioning in case you see it out in the wild.

Dead Space: Extraction. If you've played the original Dead Space, this is well worth your time. It's essentially an arcade lightgun shooter, but what's surprising is the plot's actually... good. It has all the weapons from the original game, as well as one or two of its own. There's also a Move-compatible PS3 version if you'd rather that.

Goldeneye 007 is... a surprisingly competent remake. It's not outright spectacular, but it's a pretty solid first-person shooter and you don't need to use a Wiimote control setup (it's compatible with the Classic Controller Pro).

I think I actually own nearly all the good Wii games

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 30, 2012

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I had about 4 nintendoland crashes in a row last night. I finally just deleted my WiFi settings and took it offline. Fixed the problem. I'm not messing around with that until they patch it. :tinfoil: there are crash leads to brick rumors.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Everyone recommends Xenoblade (and rightly so), so lets see what else I can suggest...

<really good list of games>

Thanks for the list (also thanks to the other guys that posted)! I'll research these and check it out.

I totally forgot about Trauma Center. I think I still have my copy. Hell of a game for showing off the Wii when it first came out.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Madworld is a third-person action game that's built around environment kills. You might get points for beating a dude to death, but you'd get more for slapping a tire around him, driving the pole of a street sign through his head, and finishing him off by throwing him onto a wall of spikes. While Greg Proops and John Dimaggio provide commentary.

Dead Space: Extraction. If you've played the original Dead Space, this is well worth your time. It's essentially an arcade lightgun shooter, but what's surprising is the plot's actually... good. It has all the weapons from the original game, as well as one or two of its own. There's also a Move-compatible PS3 version if you'd rather that.

Not to turn this into the WiiChat thread, but both of these rec's are actually not great... MadWorld is fun, but repetitive as poo poo, and Extraction is muddier than an N64-era game. I'm not a graphics hound, but it seriously looks about as good as Quake 1.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Been playing Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper a little and I have to say it's a lot of fun. Been playing on the Gamepad only because apparently that's all I do now and it works perfectly. Framerate is pretty steady, only dipping slightly when tons of dudes and particles are involved. There seems to be a massive amount of content in this game. There's a time travel element involved in the game's Story Mode and I've been comparing the game to a mashup between Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and Chrono Trigger in that you have to unlock missions in the past by saving people whose pasts have events that could help you save other people all so you can build up your army to be huge and fight the big bad Hydra.

Lots of fun so far with tons and tons of characters, customization, and bonuses to unlock. I could see this game taking an easy 50-70 hours to unlock the characters and bonuses and another 50-70 to level characters up.

Oh and it has 2-player as well, though I haven't tried it out yet. Seems like you can play it with one person on Gamepad and one on TV so each has their own screen to work with.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Wow! I can see why you guys really dig Netflix. It's a fantastic service!

I got so into Netflix that I haven't started a game yet...

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wow! I can see why you guys really dig Netflix. It's a fantastic service!

I got so into Netflix that I haven't started a game yet...

If you haven't watched Arrested Development yet, it's one of the best things on Netflix.

Random NintendoLand experience:

Finally beat the second level of the Donkey Kong game. I beat the third level in one try, then found out the hard way on the fourth level that there's a time limit :smith: Guess I'll have to go quicker next time

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Has anyone tried the Wii ethernet adapter with the U? I've got an ethernet switch like four feet away from my WU, so I'd like to take advantage of it.

Another question-- Can the TV remote be used with an HDMI receiver? This feature is kinda useless for me unless it does. My TV generally stays on the same input while the receiver handles the input switching. This is mostly moot since I use a Harmony remote anyway, but since that remote DOESN'T turn on the Wii U itself I was curious to see how much mileage I could get out of that "TV" button.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Man what is up with the Wifi on this thing? Can't get a connection at all, if I do the thing where you enter all the information manually I can connect to the network but it won't find the internet for some reason. Granted, the wifi is notoriously poo poo in my house (thick walls and the modem is upstairs and one room over from the living room), but other devices and consoles can at least connect from that room.

Guess I'm going to go see if I can find a USB-Ethernet adapter tomorrow since Nintendo decided not to build Ethernet in.

Also, did I hear that the US pack-in of Nintendo Land didn't come with a Club Nintendo code? Because the European pack-in does :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

Has anyone tried the Wii ethernet adapter with the U? I've got an ethernet switch like four feet away from my WU, so I'd like to take advantage of it.

Another question-- Can the TV remote be used with an HDMI receiver? This feature is kinda useless for me unless it does. My TV generally stays on the same input while the receiver handles the input switching. This is mostly moot since I use a Harmony remote anyway, but since that remote DOESN'T turn on the Wii U itself I was curious to see how much mileage I could get out of that "TV" button.

I don't have one, but it been confirmed they do work on the Wii U.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
It didn't come with a code but a survey automatically showed up for me after a few days.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

It didn't come with a code but a survey automatically showed up for me after a few days.

I never got to do any surveys or anything... I signed up for the service and it mentioned I would have to do them for Nintendoland and NSMBU, but I haven't seen anything. Do they come in my e-mail or on the system itself?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Natron posted:

I never got to do any surveys or anything... I signed up for the service and it mentioned I would have to do them for Nintendoland and NSMBU, but I haven't seen anything. Do they come in my e-mail or on the system itself?

Make sure you link your account to your WiiU, (from the WiiU). Then they show up on the website when it sees you played the game. I dont know if you can push notifications, you just have to check the webstie.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

EC posted:

Thanks for the advice y'all! :)

I'm excited about picking up some Wii games that I missed like Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 1&2...and I guess that's it? I sold my Wii a few years ago after not playing it for a LONG time. Are there any big third party releases I might have missed? I played the early big hits (we loving loved Excite Truck for some reason). I have a 360 & PS3, so exclusive stuff only.

I know the whole joke about Nintendo and third parties, but I promise this is a snark-free question, I just want to pick up any Wii games I might have missed, and I know what Nintendo stuff I'll play.

Little King's Story is definitely worth a look - I found it an excellent game. Not played it but everyone says Xenoblade is one of the best JRPGs ever. Similarly The Last Story has had very good press.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Some of my recommendations for Wii games would be:

Xenoblade
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Returns
Warioware Smooth Moves
Wii Sports Resort
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

The Wii had some great single player games, but by and large I think I used it most for entertaining company. It is easily the best of the three systems for that, and an aspect that I feel is really undervalued.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Little King's Story is definitely worth a look - I found it an excellent game. Not played it but everyone says Xenoblade is one of the best JRPGs ever. Similarly The Last Story has had very good press.

Wii ended up being pretty underrated for RPGs.

- Little King's Story
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade
- Rune Factory: Frontier
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
- Monster Hunter Tri (wait for the Wii-U HD version)
- The Last Story
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

There's like eight or 10 other RPGs but those are the best.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
NintendoLand is so much fun I've barely played anything else yet.

Metroid, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion are all such fun multiplayer games. I could happily play this for days without anything else.

It hasn't frozen yet thankfully, but then how long was it until other people's did? Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EC posted:

Are there any big third party releases I might have missed? I played the early big hits (we loving loved Excite Truck for some reason). I have a 360 & PS3, so exclusive stuff only.

The only time I ever fire up my Wii anymore is for Williams Pinball or The Michael Jackson Experience (with friends :shobon:).
No More Heroes 2
The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (not an exclusive, but in my opinion the motion controls make this the preferred platform for thegame)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Monode posted:

NintendoLand is so much fun I've barely played anything else yet.

Metroid, Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion are all such fun multiplayer games. I could happily play this for days without anything else.

It hasn't frozen yet thankfully, but then how long was it until other people's did? Hopefully I didn't just jinx it.

Just set the miIverse settings to English only preemptively and it never will freeze.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Seaniqua posted:

If you haven't watched Arrested Development yet, it's one of the best things on Netflix.

Random NintendoLand experience:

Finally beat the second level of the Donkey Kong game. I beat the third level in one try, then found out the hard way on the fourth level that there's a time limit :smith: Guess I'll have to go quicker next time

I don't know if my Netflix is the same as yours, since I don't live in America. I've mostly wasted time watching DuckTales. :dance:

That reminds me: What was the "blue light of death" again? I forgot what it was and what to do if it happens... :smith:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Third party Wii games:

There's also a good version of Resident Evil 4. One of the only games on the Wii where shooting felt better with the pointing controls, in my opinion. Though, the HD version of that game is on XBLA and PSN.

Also there's some House of the Dead games. Sonic Colors got decent reviews. RE: Umbrella Chronicles was okay, I've heard. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories has its fans.

There's some decent Capcom and Sega games on the Wii, basically (and Konami, I guess, in SH:SM's case).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Just set the miIverse settings to English only preemptively and it never will freeze.

Bullshit. I did this and had 2 freezes after. Taking the WiiU offline fixed the problem. The theory is that its odd symbols or character people post on Miiverse that freeze it, those do exist in english, but if somebody is playing around with the deep keyboard it can still happen.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I don't know if this has been stated already, but just saw today that Nyko is releasing a product called the "Uboost" for the GamePad which will supposedly increase the battery life to 10 or more hours. It's just an add-on so you don't even have to take out the original battery or anything and it doesn't look like it gets in the way of your hands. The weight of it will really be the big question but if its also light, it's a steal for $20

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

InFlames235 posted:

I don't know if this has been stated already, but just saw today that Nyko is releasing a product called the "Uboost" for the GamePad which will supposedly increase the battery life to 10 or more hours. It's just an add-on so you don't even have to take out the original battery or anything and it doesn't look like it gets in the way of your hands. The weight of it will really be the big question but if its also light, it's a steal for $20

Some people here have complained about the weight of the Gamepad so if it makes it heavier, people might actually like that.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

This is a few pages back but just saying, I hope nobody bought this thing or anything like it. It won't work. It can't.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I wasn't being serious. :)

I'm having waaaaay too much fun with Scribblenauts. I may be easily amused but finding out how many puzzles I can solve with smoldering babies is entertainign the poo poo out of me.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Gendo posted:

I wasn't being serious. :)

I'm having waaaaay too much fun with Scribblenauts. I may be easily amused but finding out how many puzzles I can solve with smoldering babies is entertainign the poo poo out of me.

That thing is a monstrosity. For those curious, HDMI is a digital signal, component and S video are analog. You'd need a converter in there somewhere (I've never personally found a good one but YMMV) in order to convert a digital signal to analog or visa versa depending on which way you're going. I'm not a huge fan of HDMI solely because of HDCP being a pain in the dick but whatever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

InFlames235 posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2012/11/30/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad-gets-10-hour-battery-boost-via-nykos-uboost-attachment/

Based on the picture here, it doesnt look huge, but still significant.

I think I will wait until I can just but a bigger battery and get 6-7 hours out of it instead.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The only time I get upset about region locking is when games don't come out over here. Scribblenauts came out in Australia right? Does anybody know if AU games still play on EU systems?

Also finally got online, downloading update now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
4 or 5 is plenty. It has yet to be an issue with me and I had some marathon sessions over Thanksgiving weekend.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Ya I'm really close to an outlet so the battery doesn't personally bug me too much, but I would like to recharge the battery less so it will last longer in the end and won't have to get a replacement as soon

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

I have a weird problem where I am online Miiverse works online if I click the icon but the main plaza thing seems to be acting like im offline and it isn't showing any games, Internet and shop work. Nintendo land works online however netflix/lovefilm think I am offline.

I remember reading about people having similar problems did anyone find a solution, I think I have just missed activating something somewhere?

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Soul Glo posted:

There's also a good version of Resident Evil 4. One of the only games on the Wii where shooting felt better with the pointing controls, in my opinion. Though, the HD version of that game is on XBLA and PSN.

The Wii version is basically the definitive version of RE4, the HD version on the other consoles (at least, the PS3 version) suffers from really oddly muffled audio, so if you've not played it and are looking for a good shooter, Wii version's the way to go.

Also a gem people never talk about is Mushroom Men: Spore Wars, a lovely little 3D platformer on the Wii. Combat's kind of iffy but the levels are decently sized and encourage exploration.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The Introvert posted:

The Wii version is basically the definitive version of RE4, the HD version on the other consoles (at least, the PS3 version) suffers from really oddly muffled audio, so if you've not played it and are looking for a good shooter, Wii version's the way to go.

I'll second this. The style of the game where you run, but have to stop to aim and shoot works best with the Wiimote, you stop and get a quick accurate aim that is superior to analog control. I still think traditional fps work better for me with duel analog controls, but the stop and shoot is really fun.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!

Monode posted:

My Nintendo Land started freezing on the fifth day I had the console.

greatn posted:

Nope, mine still freezes on 3-player games.

Also, I just found out through the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed thread that you can actually race on the gamepad if you just swipe down on the screen. Holy crap.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Probably a silly question, but how do I resume from a quicksave in NSMBU? Selecting the savefile just resumes from the last castle save with none of world 2 completed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

shadowobsessed posted:

My Nintendo Land started freezing on the fifth day I had the console.

Nope, mine still freezes on 3-player games.

Also, I just found out through the Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed thread that you can actually race on the gamepad if you just swipe down on the screen. Holy crap.

Its a bad 'solution' but you need to take your console offline to fix it, until they put out a patch. Certain characters in Miiverse messages kill it, while they are more rare in english only, then still happen on occasion.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bombadilillo posted:

Its a bad 'solution' but you need to take your console offline to fix it, until they put out a patch. Certain characters in Miiverse messages kill it, while they are more rare in english only, then still happen on occasion.

Do greifers now know which characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Do greifers now know which characters?

Thats what I'm worried about. I crashed twice last night, turned on english only and crashed 2 times more. All within like 10 minutes. So multiple messages? The same message redownloading? 2 guys who chose english as their set language but are talking farsi with eachother? Who knows, but 4 forced powercable pulls in a row and I'm done messing around. Patch it Nintendo.

• Locked thread