Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

theperminator posted:

Are these things known for clutch drag? even with the cable adjusted and the lever all the way out it lunges forward a little when starting, and is hard to push around with the clutch in.

In first? When cold or hot? If it's still easy to push when it's hot and in first, you're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

nsaP posted:

I was curious about that for a 250 ninja. I usually move it in N but i was pushing it in 1st with the clutch in the other day and it took a lot of force to move. I'm a small dude but i was having to really push to get it going.

I have this same problem and its always been like that, I have recently replaced and adjusted the clutch cable too. I guess its designed that way.

Also, sometimes when its cold in the morning and it doesn't want to start, I can get it going by putting it in first, pulling the clutch in, and duck walking it forward with my finger on the starter

edit: this is always when its cold, yeah I figured it had something to do with that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wet clutches always drag when cold. Just of those things.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Ola posted:

I believe this is the Austrian pledge of allegiance.

e: nice bike!

This is the truest statement. I really need a trailer so that I can take it to a trackday.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

I was curious about that for a 250 ninja. I usually move it in N but i was pushing it in 1st with the clutch in the other day and it took a lot of force to move. I'm a small dude but i was having to really push to get it going.

Yep, totally normal. When you do that you're turning your gearbox in cold, thick oil.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It was never as tough on other bikes is why i wondered.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Here's my 1983 Yamaha XS650 that I got off craigslist for $2,000 today.

Here's an album that the previous owner took:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBi486m

The whole purchase experience was good, but after a bit of internet snooping, I discovered a few things. But before you read about the purchase story, check out the hilarious (and redeeming) ad that he created: http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/3341215523.html

Now onto the somewhat odd story of the purchase...
The craigslist ad had his flickr pictures posted with his watermark. Upon searching "Stefano Mironov" I discovered that the owner was the guy pictured in the photos. When he showed up today to sell me the bike and we hung out a bit talking about the bike, introduced himself as "Vitaliy", and that was also the name on the title. Different last name as well. Not Stefano Miranov... OR WAS IT?

I never told him I did any internet snooping and of course he thinks that my only knowledge of him was that I had his phone number from the ad. He didn't think I'd see his name on the watermarked photos he used and put 2 and 2 together to figure out his name was Stefano M. I never brought it up and I signed all the legit paperwork. When I searched his flickr account for "Vitaliy" after the purchase was made and paperwork was completed, I found many pictures of the actual legal owner (hikes and stuff, his name was in the caption) and it was absolutely not who I bought the bike from today - but I believe they are good friends or relatives (especially considering that they are russian-americans living in a lower Washington State desert land). It doesn't worry me too much, since I believe that this Vitaliy guy was only the legal owner and not the actual owner for whatever reason. We did all the paperwork correctly and he never forged any signatures in person, his slots were all already filled out. He knew all the history of the bike and showed me the basics of how it works. He knew the miles off the top of his head and knew how to ride it as well. So I think we're good, but it's still a little awkward and worrisome that I knowingly bought a bike from a guy claiming to be someone else. But whatever. Here's my new motorcycle! Runs like a champ and a little rough around the edges - exactly what I wanted for a great price and will make a great hobby. Did I mention this was my first motorcycle?

Was all my internet snooping and paranoia a bit creepy? Yeah, sure. But I'm spending two grand here and dooming everyone else with lovely christmas presents this year, so it was worth a little snooping around.

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 24, 2012

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
A shady as gently caress Russian guy? Why I never.

In other news, the sun came up today.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, it is a little shady but it doesn't sound like it was outright stolen. Maybe Stefano was in debt to Vitaliy and paid it off with the motorcycle. Maybe Vitaliy actually owned it and was leasing it to Stefano until recently, and now he's selling it.

Looks neat. And XS650s have a 360-degree crank, right? So it should sound just like an old Triumph. Fix the license plate, though...that positioning will bug the crap out of any cops that see you, maybe turning "let's run his numbers" into "okay, let's get him off the bike", and almost every state has a law to the effect that modifying a license plate in the slightest way (say, bending it) invalidates the plate anyway.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
It started being loving cold and all snowy and poo poo today. Massive sadness.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Nerolus posted:

Here's an album that the previous owner took:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjBi486m

The whole purchase experience was good, but after a bit of internet snooping, I discovered a few things. But before you read about the purchase story, check out the hilarious (and redeeming) ad that he created: http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/3341215523.html

Now onto the somewhat odd story of the purchase...
The craigslist ad had his flickr pictures posted with his watermark. Upon searching "Stefano Mironov" I discovered that the owner was the guy pictured in the photos. When he showed up today to sell me the bike and we hung out a bit talking about the bike, introduced himself as "Vitaliy", and that was also the name on the title. Different last name as well. Not Stefano Miranov... OR WAS IT?

I never told him I did any internet snooping and of course he thinks that my only knowledge of him was that I had his phone number from the ad. He didn't think I'd see his name on the watermarked photos he used and put 2 and 2 together to figure out his name was Stefano M. I never brought it up and I signed all the legit paperwork. When I searched his flickr account for "Vitaliy" after the purchase was made and paperwork was completed, I found many pictures of the actual legal owner (hikes and stuff, his name was in the caption) and it was absolutely not who I bought the bike from today - but I believe they are good friends or relatives (especially considering that they are russian-americans living in a lower Washington State desert land). It doesn't worry me too much, since I believe that this Vitaliy guy was only the legal owner and not the actual owner for whatever reason. We did all the paperwork correctly and he never forged any signatures in person, his slots were all already filled out. He knew all the history of the bike and showed me the basics of how it works. He knew the miles off the top of his head and knew how to ride it as well. So I think we're good, but it's still a little awkward and worrisome that I knowingly bought a bike from a guy claiming to be someone else. But whatever. Here's my new motorcycle! Runs like a champ and a little rough around the edges - exactly what I wanted for a great price and will make a great hobby. Did I mention this was my first motorcycle?

Was all my internet snooping and paranoia a bit creepy? Yeah, sure. But I'm spending two grand here and dooming everyone else with lovely christmas presents this year, so it was worth a little snooping around.
Your bikes ad was featured on the wheelnerds podcast. I listened to it tonight and thought I'd seen the ad somewhere.
Edit- It's the one titled little German elves or something like that.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 25, 2012

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Nerolus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodH04NWEu4

In case anyone is wondering, this is where the decal on the tank comes from.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."

kenny powerzzz posted:

Your bikes ad was featured on the wheelnerds podcast. I listened to it tonight and thought I'd seen the ad somewhere.
Edit- It's the one titled little German elves or something like that.

Hah, thanks for the heads up! According to them, I'm a hipster. Alright, fair enough!

Still no problems with the transaction, all is well. Looks like he also updated the ad with a few more pictures rather than deleting it.

I'll be getting another '83 XS650 (mostly stock) for my lady friend that happens to be for sale in the same city and redeeming myself from the "hipster" status by building my own bobber.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Nerolus posted:

Hah, thanks for the heads up! According to them, I'm a hipster. Alright, fair enough!

Still no problems with the transaction, all is well. Looks like he also updated the ad with a few more pictures rather than deleting it.

I'll be getting another '83 XS650 (mostly stock) for my lady friend that happens to be for sale in the same city and redeeming myself from the "hipster" status by building my own bobber.

Jalopnik liked it so much they featured it twice

http://jalopnik.com/found-on-craigslist/

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
It was a pretty cool ad. When I see stuff like that I immediately think a goon is behind it.

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
I finished servicing my new purchase this week so I thought it was a good chance to put up some shots.

It's a 1985 Suzuki GSX 1100 EF with an original 55000km on the clock. I picked it up off of it's second owner who had bought it as an engine donor for a custom streetfighter project but felt it was too good to part out. I've given it a full service and reset all the adjustable suspension to factory standard as opposed to maximum so it is ready to ride but it has just started to snow round here so I think I'll clean and detail it this weekend and stash it away ready for spring.
As for the streetfighter builder, he ended up buying a Mojo frame and built up a bike around a 1750cc Harley twin cam motor instead...

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Tis the season.
His:

Hers:

Ours:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Scored a 2005 R6 for $1300 from Craigslist yesterday. Needs basic maintenance, a new chain, throttle body sync, and a bunch of LED garbage and football team stickers removed, otherwise in great shape.

Not even gonna register it, this one's just for the track.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is a fantastic deal for a street bike in that condition. Good candidate for tracking.

Edit: Also I love the kickstands from that gen R6. They always look like they won't hold, but they will.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 3, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is the reason that you aren't registering it because it didn't come with a title?

That's the kind of price I'd expect to see on an ad from a guy "stationed in England" selling his bike "in storage" as soon as I sent him a money order.

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN

Those pigspotters are :lol:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

nsaP posted:

Is the reason that you aren't registering it because it didn't come with a title?
No, it's because once I register it, Fairfax County will expect me to pay taxes and buy plates and maintain insurance on it every year. Since I fully expect to crash it, the extra expenses don't seem worthwhile. (edit: I can title it without registering, so the state will recognize that I own the VIN, I just don't get plates.)

Philanthropy! posted:

Those pigspotters are :lol:
They have LED blinkers in them. The wife has asked to keep them for Halloween decorations once I've removed them.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 3, 2012

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

No, it's because once I register it, Fairfax County will expect me to pay taxes and buy plates and maintain insurance on it every year. Since I fully expect to crash it, the extra expenses don't seem worthwhile. (edit: I can title it without registering, so the state will recognize that I own the VIN, I just don't get plates.)

Register your bike, stupid. There is absolutely no valid reason for a 2005 bike not to have a title, and a whole shitload of reasons that can cause you very real trouble, especially when we're talking about a supersport.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

$1300 for a 2005 R6 with no title? You may want to check with the local lawmen before you get pulled over on that thing. Nothing better than an untitled, unregistered, uninsured supersport with an angry Eagles fan that probably still technically "owns" it.

If it's been liberated, a bike that identifiable may put you in a hard spot if you plan on riding with any local groups.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Register your bike, stupid. There is absolutely no valid reason for a 2005 bike not to have a title, and a whole shitload of reasons that can cause you very real trouble, especially when we're talking about a supersport.
I'm *titling* it for theft insurance. I'm not *registering* because I don't want to pay taxes and plate fees for a bike that will be exclusively used on a track.

Virginia considers the two separately, and requires registration to get license plates and ride on public roads. Titling it means that they update records and print out a new title with my name on it.

Edit:

TheLarson posted:

$1300 for a 2005 R6 with no title?
Guess I really phrased things badly. I've got the title.

Edit2: Given my explanation, am I still being dumb about it? Just doesn't seem worthwhile to pay tax and crash insurance on a $1300 track-only bike.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Edit2: Given my explanation, am I still being dumb about it? Just doesn't seem worthwhile to pay tax and crash insurance on a $1300 track-only bike.

No, that's the right approach. Keep the title so in case it gets stole, you can claim it if it's found. No reason in licensing an off-road vehicle for street use.

TheLarson
Oct 14, 2004

PREPARE FOR THE WOODSHED!
BOW BEFORE KING JIGGLES!

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Guess I really phrased things badly. I've got the title.

If you have the title and everything matches up, deal of the century.

For a track only bike, registration is a non-issue. I don't think a regular insurance company (not track insurance) will pay out on a bike that's totaled on the track. I could be wrong.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
State Farm will pay out if the bike's not being used in a timed or racing event. Have a couple of friends who have wadded shiny bikes on the track and gotten a lot of money for their trouble.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

State Farm will pay out if the bike's not being used in a timed or racing event. Have a couple of friends who have wadded shiny bikes on the track and gotten a lot of money for their trouble.

Good to know. I'm on State Farm. I was just gonna get theft coverage, I'll ask about track events. I don't expect to be racing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Also every farmer within two miles of a British track will merrily haul your bike away on the back of a tractor and dump it in a handy ditch if you ask them nicely (around £50 worth of asking nicely, I've been told) so you can say that you ate it on the road rather than a track day.

Or so the legend goes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it true that they have insurance inspectors who sometimes come out to the accident site to verify things like skid marks and torn-up dirt to make sure everything's on the level? I've never actually had an accident, but I've heard that happens sometimes, at least in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised -- I have also heard that in some insurance contracts you're better off driving straight into the side of a deer than swerving off the road to avoid it, because the first case is covered but the second counts as an intentional departure from the roadway and so any damage caused is entirely your fault.

*well when I was learning to drive I did once pull up too close to a telephone pole that, in all fairness, was way too close to the curb anyway, and rip the passenger mirror off our station wagon.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 4, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The adjuster that handled my case wanted pictures of my skids etc. so I had to give him the exact location of where it happened.

Also, when the guy wrecked my other bike in the garage, many pictures were taken of where it was once sitting.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah, my friend swerved to miss a deer, and was actually written a ticket for it. When he told the cop the only reason he had crashed was because of a large animal in the road, the cop told him "Well I don't see it." :what:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Yeah, my friend swerved to miss a deer, and was actually written a ticket for it. When he told the cop the only reason he had crashed was because of a large animal in the road, the cop told him "Well I don't see it." :what:

Shoot the cop in the face. "How about now, sucker?"

Problem solved! :v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

The correct reply to that is to leap up and down while pointing at him and yelling "Oh oh, officer look! Officer there it is, it's back again!! A huge dumb wild pig!"

By 'correct' I mean most effective way to be arrested.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Baby's first bike... finally. :unsmith: 2001 Honda CB500.

I passed my test a week ago and bought the bike I've been training on from my instructor. What with the changes coming to the UK tests next year he's selling off his 500's which means I got a decent price on a bike where I won't be too worried if I do scuff it up a little. It came with new heated grips, new tyre, new clutch and a fresh service so I really can't complain. Tomorrow will consist of cleaning, removing the grab rail and getting rid of the sticker behind it. After that... new mirrors?

Of course this being England in winter I've only had one chance to ride it so far. :saddowns:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
If that was an ER-5, I'd be worried you were my sister.

Good bike though. Does that one come with a rear disk or drum? Which new tyre? Also just check the consumables, so you'll know when they're likely to be used or need replacing (oil, rad fluid, brake disks etc). Only other things I could think of would be chain, sprockets and fork seals.

Also, I was convinced that every cop in the area was eying me up when I was on a bright red bike compared to my normal subdued black on.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sock Weasel posted:

Baby's first bike... finally. :unsmith: 2001 Honda CB500.

I passed my test a week ago and bought the bike I've been training on from my instructor. What with the changes coming to the UK tests next year he's selling off his 500's which means I got a decent price on a bike where I won't be too worried if I do scuff it up a little. It came with new heated grips, new tyre, new clutch and a fresh service so I really can't complain. Tomorrow will consist of cleaning, removing the grab rail and getting rid of the sticker behind it. After that... new mirrors?

Of course this being England in winter I've only had one chance to ride it so far. :saddowns:

I would suggest leaving the mirrors. It's a cheap starter bike so assume you may bend one! Good choice of bike though. CB500 is the best 500.

Perhaps consider some bar muffs for winter riding, and possibly a tall windscreen (puig do a cheap touring screen iirc) if you commute on it. Also, if you've done all your training in summer and autumn, remember that grip will be substantially reduced in the bitter cold, more so than you may be used to if you have a car licence. So steady away when adding throttle or lean angle, even on dry tarmac.

Roll on April...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Eh nothing wrong with getting some mirrors that look a bit better, those look like scooter mirrors. That grab rail could come in handy if you every want to throw a bit of stuff on the back, for attaching a cargo net or something.

Nice bike, would ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbrite
Dec 6, 2012
GSX-R 750 K8

I've owned it for 17 months now and just put it away for winter... :(
Put 30.000km on it so far (about 19k miles for you imperial bastards... :P)

Been in storage for barely 3 weeks now and I can't wait for next summer!

Only registered members can see post attachments!