Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Magres posted:

Blah, I wasn't reading his grab quickly and rolling back early enough I suppose. Sorry for being ragey with you guys, I was at the point where I was shaking as I threw myself at Gwin over and over. Grocery shopping chilled me the gently caress out. Now the real question - once more unto the breach? One does not simply quit Dark Souls, for her siren song is strong. Gwyn must die :black101: On the other hand he makes me see red :ohdear:

It's a lot easier if you learn to parry him. You can parry his big flying leap. There are videos of the timing around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It is probably something else grabbing focus, or possibly Aero loving up. Try right-clicking the .exe then going to Compatibility Options and ticking "disable desktop composition," see if that makes a difference.

Cool, thanks, I'll try that!

Even though I've watched a few walkthroughs of this game before I bought it for myself, the game still doesn't fail to amuse me. When I was fighting Taurus Demon (4th attempt by the way) he slapped me off the edge of the bridge. As I was cursing the Gods and falling to my death suddenly he appears, plummeting to his death right after me. I got the YOU DIED and YOU ARE VICTORIOUS messages in rapid succession.

When I returned he was gone and my souls for killing him were waiting for me in the blood stain!

Then I climbed up the ladder to get those 2 archers - one of them fell off onto the bridge while I was fighting the other, and when I slid down the stairs he was climbing up. I bopped onto his head like Mario landing on a Goomba, did one (1) damage, and the archer died.

Seriously this is the best game purchase I've made all year.

Mental Midget fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 30, 2012

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

It's a lot easier if you learn to parry him. You can parry his big flying leap. There are videos of the timing around somewhere.

Woah, seriously? I'm just gonna learn to parry his stupid leap and get him to leap over and over. My biggest problem is that I have trouble reading the difference between his big, easy to parry two-handed slash and his quick slash, so I keep parrying like it's the big one and eating a quick slash to the face for my trouble, or parrying like it's the quick slash and eating that whole combo (which is the one that gibs me, and the one where you definitely don't unstagger between the second and third hits) and dying

Edit: After about four hours of beating my head against the wall, Gwyn is dead. Long live the Chosen Undead! :black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101:

Funny enough, I now get why you guys say Gwyn is easy. I tried him like five more times after I went grocery shopping, got irritated, ate some food and read SA for twenty minutes, then came back and wiped the floor with him. The last time I fought him I just kinda knew how to deal with everything he threw at me, and trashed him without any trouble.

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I summoned a couple people for the Gargoyle fight, and I was wondering if this one helper I saw was a character or a real player. He had a name like Aldacare, and he had this crazy looking crossbow and was doing flips a huge fire magic and had like a trench coat looking thing on. He seemed to be way too good for a person who is around my level. The other guy I summoned was more sane, basically me with a drake sword and maybe better armor.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I summoned a couple people for the Gargoyle fight, and I was wondering if this one helper I saw was a character or a real player. He had a name like Aldacare, and he had this crazy looking crossbow and was doing flips a huge fire magic and had like a trench coat looking thing on. He seemed to be way too good for a person who is around my level. The other guy I summoned was more sane, basically me with a drake sword and maybe better armor.

If it's the trench coat I'm thinking of, he got it out of the Painted World. The crossbow is probably the one from the Duke's Archives. And fire magic? Well, I do that too. There's also a ring that lets you flip like that.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If it's the trench coat I'm thinking of, he got it out of the Painted World. The crossbow is probably the one from the Duke's Archives. And fire magic? Well, I do that too. There's also a ring that lets you flip like that.
Surely the trench coat is Chester's?

Heroic Yoshimitsu, anyone good enough (or willing to mod their save) could get almost whatever gear/pyromancy they want and still white phantom for the Gargoyles. My Solaire gimmick character is at the Gargoyles (for double Solaire action!) and can use a miracle that kills a Gargoyle in a couple of shots.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That was another player, its totally possible to have all this stuff on a low level character.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Fair enough, that's pretty cool then that you can get stuff like that if you where where to go and have the skills to do it early on.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Fair enough, that's pretty cool then that you can get stuff like that if you where where to go and have the skills to do it early on.
They probably also took the Master Key.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Oh Siegmeyer :( God drat those Chaos Eaters, they were all dead but one and I figured he could handle it on his own, but unfortunately it wasn't going so well, so I dropped down to lend a hand and sort of delivered the killing blow.

He commented about how I didn't get away and how he let me down, said something about Lin.. then died.

Everything is bad. Solaire is alive at least, although just sitting in a tunnel with bugs everywhere being sad.

Poor Siegmeyer :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It only just occurred to me that the valley of the drakes is the chasm of the abyss in the future :downs:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I REGRET NOTHING!

I should mention that this character was named before I realised your summon sign shows your windows live name and not character name, and originally had the gimmick of using the undead soldier set and weapons.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

I REGRET NOTHING!

I should mention that this character was named before I realised your summon sign shows your windows live name and not character name, and originally had the gimmick of using the undead soldier set and weapons.

I have yet to get one of those. What are the requirements on it?

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry

Balobam posted:

Oh Siegmeyer :( God drat those Chaos Eaters, they were all dead but one and I figured he could handle it on his own, but unfortunately it wasn't going so well, so I dropped down to lend a hand and sort of delivered the killing blow.

He commented about how I didn't get away and how he let me down, said something about Lin.. then died.

Everything is bad. Solaire is alive at least, although just sitting in a tunnel with bugs everywhere being sad.

Poor Siegmeyer :(

You must have terrible luck. Every time Siggy has gone down to save me, he smashes the 1 or 2 remaining chaos eaters by pretty much stagger-locking them. Then he takes a nap.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I should mention that this character was named before I realised your summon sign shows your windows live name and not character name.

Oh, that's not a problem. You can use Cheat Engine to change your displayed name.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
What's the best way to get a bunch of red chunks? I figured I'd just farm burrowing rockworms, but after five runs through all the ones in the Demon's Ruins, I haven't got a single drop after the first run. Do they only drop items once or something?

Uab
Sep 13, 2007
Hungry
If you can wait a bit longer they are a guaranteed drop in the Kiln from one or two knights.

Yohan
Jan 20, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

What's the best way to get a bunch of red chunks? I figured I'd just farm burrowing rockworms, but after five runs through all the ones in the Demon's Ruins, I haven't got a single drop after the first run. Do they only drop items once or something?

Chaos Eaters drop Red Chunks (at an okay drop rate) & Red Slabs (rarely).

And I think the second Black Knight in the Kiln reliably drops Red Chunks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Apparently Chaos Eaters drop them, as well as slabs.

Speaking of Chaos eaters, I was fighting some of them and something weird happened. I was at probably 3/4-4/5 health, one-shotting them with my +15 demon greataxe, but one that was behind the one I was hitting did something, and I died instantly. Not the grab, and it did a bunch of equipment damage. Can the acid attacks really do that much damage by themselves, or did I get double hit or something?

Did I make a mistake in making my Zweihander fire? It's at +8 right now, and doesn't seem to be holding up all that well compared to my greataxe. I need to 2-hand the greataxe, but it seems like it won't be long until even my MSGS catches up to the zweihander.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Thanks for the tips, I knew about the kiln, but I'm doing a lower-level run this time so I can continue to find NG co-op well into NG+, and I want to beef up my chaos weapons before I take on the big four.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Can the acid attacks really do that much damage by themselves, or did I get double hit or something?

The acid attack hits twice and very hard, so it's entirely possible it was just that.

As for red chunks, they are also guaranteed drops from the knights on your return to the Asylum. That's only 2 chunks of course, but they help

Mystic Cave zOWNd fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 1, 2012

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Did I make a mistake in making my Zweihander fire? It's at +8 right now, and doesn't seem to be holding up all that well compared to my greataxe. I need to 2-hand the greataxe, but it seems like it won't be long until even my MSGS catches up to the zweihander.

Split resistances and eliminated scaling are what's resulting in what you're seeing.

If you're strong enough to 2-hand that specific greataxe, it will always do better damage than a zweihander of comparable upgradedness IIRC.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Magres posted:

Probably just From loving with your head.

Gwyn hurts :( He's kicking my rear end horribly, never ANY windows to heal if I slip, and I refuse to use my usual sorcery bullshit on him or summon against him. He deserves to be killed in one on one melee combat, just for that excellent boss music

I agree. I've beaten the game six times and every one of my characters has around twenty of every chunk because of that fight.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

The acid attack hits twice and very hard, so it's entirely possible it was just that.

As for red chunks, they are also guaranteed drops from the knights on your return to the Asylum. That's only 2 chunks of course, but they help

Yeah, as soon as I made it out of the asylum I went right back in for all that stuff. It's amazing how easy everything in that place is once you know how it all works. Black knights? Parry them all to death. The demon? trivial once you learn his attacks.

Compared to my first time going back, where I probably took close to 20 tries to kill the demon, it's a bit incredible.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

I have yet to get one of those. What are the requirements on it?

15 str and 12 dex. It's actually a pretty good weapon, the 2h r2 charge is actually useful as you dont fall over if it connects and it has a massive range.

Gotta feel for the centipede demon getting stabbed up with a farm tool.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
After clocking in 57 hours into Dark Souls, I beat the game utilizing this strange DEX and Endurance build. I'm considering rolling an INT based character since I didn't touch magic at all during my first playthrough.

Any recommendations on some solid builds and what type of equipment I should be using?

Edit: I noticed that dropping points into INT only raises my resistance. Is there something I'm missing here?

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

After clocking in 57 hours into Dark Souls, I beat the game utilizing this strange DEX and Endurance build. I'm considering rolling an INT based character since I didn't touch magic at all during my first playthrough.

Any recommendations on some solid builds and what type of equipment I should be using?

Edit: I noticed that dropping points into INT only raises my resistance. Is there something I'm missing here?

Int will only improve the magic damage of int scaling weapons and the magic adjust of most wands, you also need X int to use certain spells and weapons. It won't improve your weapon damage if you aren't using a magic weapon.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

I did an int/dex build not too long ago. I'd recommend getting 36 int so you can cast some of the crazier spells, and 40 dex so you can take full advantage of a good dex scaling weapon + crystal magic weapon. Between that and dark bead, you can pretty much two-shot most bosses until halfway through NG+ once you get your gear leveled up.

There are magic-scaling permanent enchants, but by and large they aren't going to be as powerful as dex/str scaling with a temporary magic enchant.

Sadly int builds don't really add that much variety, since most players just piggyback onto a dex or str build in order to get the most out of it, unless they're specifically going for a low-level run.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I loving suck at this game. I've tried beating the stupid dark knight in the tunnel in undeadburg a ton of times, and I can only parry his attacks once every 3 tries (which means I'm usually dead). Is there anything I can do in terms of stat investment / buying stuff from the first merchant to make my guy survive longer?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

sector_corrector posted:

I loving suck at this game. I've tried beating the stupid dark knight in the tunnel in undeadburg a ton of times, and I can only parry his attacks once every 3 tries (which means I'm usually dead). Is there anything I can do in terms of stat investment / buying stuff from the first merchant to make my guy survive longer?

Leave him for later. You'll get to a smith after the next boss who can upgrade your equipment.

The 'reward' for beating that knight sucks anyways.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Leave him for later. You'll get to a smith after the next boss who can upgrade your equipment.

I kept trying at that guy until I beat him, and I feel like it helped me learn how to play quite a bit more quickly. You can always come back and try him later, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just run past that knight when you're hollow/low souls. Get the crappy ring and die, move on.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

sector_corrector posted:

You don't need to parry, just circle around him while blocking and backstab when he does a long attack. He's pretty slow.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

If the knight does a shield bash, he will always follow up with an extremely easy to parry attack (if he actually breaks your guard it's even easier, just mash on r2 and you'll parry it). So while you're trying to backstab it, look for the shield bash and enjoy.

Every other knight-type enemy in the game does the same. So take advantage of their attacks after a bash.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

HenryEx posted:

Yeah but sometimes he drops his sword, which I still use and I just beat Ornstein and Smough yesterday.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You can always kill the Asylum Black Knights with some humanity and the gold serpent ring on if you want to get a BK sword.

Pizza Dude
Feb 22, 2011
Have there been any updates to fix the framerate issues for some amd/ati cards?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The "reward" for beating a Black Knight is that you beat a Black Knight. :colbert:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Okay, for those of you who want to spoof names for Hilarious Gimmick Build Comedy, use this pointer in your pre-existing Cheat Engine table. It does show as changed to other people, but if they look at their recent players list, they will be able to see you normally. So, you can't impersonate someone else (also you are a dick for even thinking of trying that).

code:
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>222</ID>
      <Description>"Displayed GFWL Name"</Description>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>String</VariableType>
      <Length>15</Length>
      <Unicode>0</Unicode>
      <ZeroTerminate>1</ZeroTerminate>
      <Address>13DEAF0</Address>
      <Offsets>
        <Offset>FFFFFE80</Offset>
      </Offsets>
    </CheatEntry>
The one caveat is that the second you change names, GFWL will not gather IP data for your IP pool anymore, even if you change it back. Maybe it'll do it again if you change areas or something, I don't know. So, what you have to do is let it do its warm-up, and THEN change names and go invading or what have you. As far as I can tell there's no way around this restriction.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah but sometimes he drops his sword, which I still use and I just beat Ornstein and Smough yesterday.

The first time I beat that Black Knight he dropped his shield. That thing carried me through the whole game and I've never been so lucky since.

• Locked thread