Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
All the Yakuza games on PS3 sold decent amounts in Europe as well, so you have to add that to considerations of English language sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Flayer posted:

All the Yakuza games on PS3 sold decent amounts in Europe as well, so you have to add that to considerations of English language sales.

That's true. The sales were only slightly lower than the North America sales. However, it's tempered by two things: EU rules on the multiple languages that have to be included for sale and the fact that Europe uses PAL (and SECAM). Together those make a much bigger financial hurdle.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It all does come down to we can only hope.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Egomaniac posted:

That's true. The sales were only slightly lower than the North America sales. However, it's tempered by two things: EU rules on the multiple languages that have to be included for sale and the fact that Europe uses PAL (and SECAM). Together those make a much bigger financial hurdle.
The PS3 Yakuza games only have English text in the EU versions (well, you can have Japanese too). There's no other language options. And, as in 90% of cases, PAL conversions from Japanese games have zero actual work done on them, they are just run through some automated transcoding process to meet a technical spec. I imagine that is especially true now with HD games where it's standardized between every region for HD TV users and only the few SD TV users would even be affected.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Flayer posted:

The PS3 Yakuza games only have English text in the EU versions (well, you can have Japanese too). There's no other language options. And, as in 90% of cases, PAL conversions from Japanese games have zero actual work done on them, they are just run through some automated transcoding process to meet a technical spec. I imagine that is especially true now with HD games where it's standardized between every region for HD TV users and only the few SD TV users would even be affected.

Language rules depend on the country. I doubt the UK requires French, but France certainly does, and very few foreign game companies are willing to have non-simultaneous release in European regions for fear of alienating players in countries that are at the end of the list.

As for the format, I meant the cost of actually creating the discs, manuals and packaging in multiple formats and languages. There's also the possibility of running into problems with differing content restrictions, although that's an issue in the US as well.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Egomaniac posted:

Language rules depend on the country. I doubt the UK requires French, but France certainly does, and very few foreign game companies are willing to have non-simultaneous release in European regions for fear of alienating players in countries that are at the end of the list.
Hmm not true, the French version of Yakuza 4 is English only (and Japanese). No French at all. Same with the German version (English+Japanese only). Sega simply don't bother to translate into a language other than English.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In my experience, the Japanese region games that have an English version on the disc don't have even the tiniest fraction as much dialog as a Yakuza game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 28, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I like how people are using the local Fukuoka dialect, especially Riku. I wonder how they will handle that in translation? There's one particular part where you can ask her to drop her attempts at the Tokyo dialect and go full Fukuoka, I could barely understand it. Togen shitato? soge bokaan to shikobashite....Kiryu-san ga kikitai shaken, ossegasse shabettoccharoumon?"

Also, I can see that they drastically improved the hostess game in all respects, but also the O and X commands get all mixed up, in some menus O is accept and in others X is.

edit: oh, food is a combat buff now, like in Sleeping Dogs.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 28, 2012

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just finished the demo. The fighting felt really satisfying in the new engine. Grinding a dude's face on cobble stones was invigorating.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I like how people are using the local Fukuoka dialect, especially Riku. I wonder how they will handle that in translation? There's one particular part where you can ask her to drop her attempts at the Tokyo dialect and go full Fukuoka, I could barely understand it. Togen shitato? soge bokaan to shikobashite....Kiryu-san ga kikitai shaken, ossegasse shabettoccharoumon?"

Same here. I mean, I'm nowhere near fluent, but I can usually understand what they're saying in these games well enough. They started speaking in Fukuokan and I felt like I was in Japanese 1 again.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The game has Fukuoka-ben dialogue? Welp, guess I'm waiting for subtitles then. If Samurai Sanders can't figure it out, no way I will. Had a friend from Fukuoka once: she tried to explain Fukuoka-ben to me, and I thought she was messing with me. Makes Kansai seem like elementary Japanese.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Macaroni posted:

The game has Fukuoka-ben dialogue? Welp, guess I'm waiting for subtitles then. If Samurai Sanders can't figure it out, no way I will. Had a friend from Fukuoka once: she tried to explain Fukuoka-ben to me, and I thought she was messing with me. Makes Kansai seem like elementary Japanese.
No, I can (I think), it just took a bit. I'm trained as a linguist so I just popped over to the Wikipedia page (of the Hakata dialect, anyway) and glanced over those. If there's anything Japanese linguists like doing it's documenting Japanese dialects in excruciating detail.

Unless I'm wrong, the translation of what I wrote before is "What's wrong? You spaced out there...You asked to hear it, so that's why I'm talking like this."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 28, 2012

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Egomaniac posted:

As for the format, I meant the cost of actually creating the discs, manuals and packaging in multiple formats and languages. There's also the possibility of running into problems with differing content restrictions, although that's an issue in the US as well.

You're living in a dream world if you think that 10 workhours or so for writing manuals for a specific country is going to thrump the revenue from additional sales.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, I can (I think), it just took a bit. I'm trained as a linguist so I just popped over to the Wikipedia page (of the Hakata dialect, anyway) and glanced over those. If there's anything Japanese linguists like doing it's documenting Japanese dialects in excruciating detail.

Unless I'm wrong, the translation of what I wrote before is "What's wrong? You spaced out there...You asked to hear it, so that's why I'm talking like this."

It's certainly what I would've done if I had continued with linguistics past undergrad. Dialects are loving sweet.

The Macaroni posted:

Makes Kansai seem like elementary Japanese.

Kansai isn't that hard...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is this game running at 1080? Feels like it.
Cool stuff, heat action cutaways have been changed somewhat, not sure I quite like it, but it's different; new throw move, you can just slam dudes on walls now, and they lay there sprayed open. I'm also pretty sure the game runs better when in fights.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

mikeycp posted:

Kansai isn't that hard...
It's not hard, it's just a bit bewildering when you've studied standard Kanto Japanese for years and suddenly all these bizarre words start showing up. My problem is that I could always follow most of it, but I'd be uncertain enough about some things that it would throw me off. Which I guesspretty much describes how I follow spoken Japanese in video games, anyway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

It's not hard, it's just a bit bewildering when you've studied standard Kanto Japanese for years and suddenly all these bizarre words start showing up. My problem is that I could always follow most of it, but I'd be uncertain enough about some things that it would throw me off. Which I guesspretty much describes how I follow spoken Japanese in video games, anyway.

Oh yeah. I can understand that. I was pretty interested in Kansai from the beginning, so I would always be looking up things I just learned in Kanto to see what was different.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Wait, is there some kind of Kansai-ben dictionary I could be obsessing over? :aaa:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

Wait, is there some kind of Kansai-ben dictionary I could be obsessing over? :aaa:
Like I said, Japanese linguists are nuts about recording dialect distinctions in Japanese (to the exclusion of other more pressing concerns, if you ask me), so yeah, there's gotta be. It's not like the vocabulary is so different though, just pronunciation and some grammatical features.

Anyway here's some. Unlike the Hakata dialect, this one's English Wikipedia page looks almost as complete as the Japanese. It's not like I can totally vouch for this page's accuracy though, Japanese dialects aren't as interesting to me as the actual whole other LANGUAGES that are in Japan, like Okinawan and Ainu.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 28, 2012

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't know about dictionary, but there's stuff like what Samurai Sanders posted, and there's also this book, which I think is pretty good and still look at from time to time.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've never played a Yakuza game for more than 10 or so minutes, but this was pretty fun. Hostess stuff was creepy for several reasons, but the concrete pipe / fireworks heat action was AMAZING.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Renoistic posted:

I've never played a Yakuza game for more than 10 or so minutes, but this was pretty fun. Hostess stuff was creepy for several reasons, but the concrete pipe / fireworks heat action was AMAZING.
The thing about hostesses is that its basically a game even when you're doing it in real life, Yakuza is basically a simulation of what is already a simulation of flirting.

edit: woe be unto the hostess bar customer who thinks they are actually flirting with the girls there. You know what they say about fools and their money...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 29, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

In my experience, the Japanese region games that have an English version on the disc don't have even the tiniest fraction as much dialog as a Yakuza game.

Yea I imagine it's a lot of work to make two versions of this much dialog, when they see the game as, mainly, targeting a Japanese audience it just doesn't make sense to even consider it. Even if they do see the other markets as good, unless it's a big game you're just going to take a lot of time to do it, which game companies don't like.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm kind of assuming this will get a $50 PSN release in the US instead of a disk at this point. Being a retail exclusive to GameStop or Amazon if it does come out in the US on a disk like Xenoblade or Under Defeat.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm honestly kind of shocked that Y3, 4, and Dead Souls got physical releases. The MO for most niche PS3 games with Japanese voice tracks is to go with PSN releases.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

In the beginning of the demo, what were the two guys in the restaurant taking about with Haruka on the TV that made Kiryu storm out in a huff?

I found the answer for this:

quote:

It's something like "Look, a popular idol competition program on TV. I don't understand the parents who let their daughter to be an idol. I imagine those kids have to do some dirty stuff to get a job."
:fry:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh, that's not exactly how I interpreted that conversation, to me it was more like "that business looks clean on the outside but girls get sucked in, and it changes them. There's no way I'd let my daughter enter that life".

Anyway, for the purposes of the game, I doubt that Haruka had to do anything dirty (in the ruining her perfect pretty girl image) to START, but there will be forces that will try to get that result later on. But I'm mostly going off my memory of the movie Perfect Blue here.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 29, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Samurai Sanders posted:

But I'm mostly going off my memory of the movie Perfect Blue here.
While the "stab stalker/rapist to death with a screwdriver" HEAT Action is brutally satisfying, the "about to be murdered by your psycho talent agent while hallucinating" Chase Battle is terrifying to the point of distraction.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
If anyone hasn't seen the bike HEAT action yet, I'd highly recommend it. It's magical :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cakeequals posted:

If anyone hasn't seen the bike HEAT action yet, I'd highly recommend it. It's magical :allears:
Is it different than previous games?

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it different than previous games?

I mean, I think? I seem to remember it just being smashing the dude over the head with it, but I could be completely mistaken.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cakeequals posted:

I mean, I think? I seem to remember it just being smashing the dude over the head with it, but I could be completely mistaken.
Before, he smashed them over the head with it, threw it on top of them on the ground, and then jumped up and stomped on them. It's been that way since 1 and has always been the most brutal looking one in the series.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

RRRRRRRRR

Samurai Sanders posted:

Before, he smashed them over the head with it, threw it on top of them on the ground, and then jumped up and stomped on them. It's been that way since 1 and has always been the most brutal looking one in the series.

Yeah, completely different then. Way less brutal though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I believe that one is still in for grounded enemies, the one he's describing is amazing though and is done against standing opponents.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The one that always makes me wince the most is when the guy gets suplexed onto a rail.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone posted the entire demo on Youtube with English subtitles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHPDNfLv0pc

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I think the pliers easily wins the "most brutal" heat move contest. In Yakuza 2, you used it to remove a tooth. In 3 and 4 it's a finger nail.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm kind of glad I never found any pliers when I played 4 now. :gonk:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My copy of Yakuza 4 arrived today in the mail. This will be the first Yakuza game I've ever played - I think it's a beat-em-up? :v: Is there anything I should know before I fire it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

My copy of Yakuza 4 arrived today in the mail. This will be the first Yakuza game I've ever played - I think it's a beat-em-up? :v: Is there anything I should know before I fire it up?

Sit back, enjoy the ride and then hit dudes.

• Locked thread