Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Landsknecht posted:

How comprehensive should my Haftpflichtversicherung be? Am I fine with a 60 euro one or do I want something more serious?

60€/year sounds about right, if a little on the expensive side.
Usually, the more expensive options add insurance for when you lose someone else's keys (which can be expensive if you have a key that opens your front and apartment door and everybody in the house needs new locks), and damages to yourself/your stuff caused by someone else (and they can't pay, for whatever reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Badly Jester posted:

60€/year sounds about right, if a little on the expensive side.
Usually, the more expensive options add insurance for when you lose someone else's keys (which can be expensive if you have a key that opens your front and apartment door and everybody in the house needs new locks), and damages to yourself/your stuff caused by someone else (and they can't pay, for whatever reason).

And what should I look for in a Selbsbehalt? like 150 euro or can I get one with almost nothing?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I asked my company for a transfer and the only really legit place for me was Munich. So I'm going to live there for a year or a bit, I guess. How easy is it to get from Munich to other places in Europe, i.e. Paris, Holland, Spain, etc., as a non-citizen with a work permit?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
What does not being a citizen have to do with it?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

elwood posted:

What does not being a citizen have to do with it?

How the gently caress should I know?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
You should be able to travel freely in the Schengen Area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Landsknecht posted:

And what should I look for in a Selbsbehalt? like 150 euro or can I get one with almost nothing?

I just checked HUK-Coburgs offers, and their online policy comes up to about 48€ for an employed, single person. With 250€ Selbstbeteiligung you can save about 12€ a year. My personal take: not worth the savings.
Say you sat on a friends glasses or kindle, as one does. With option A (48€/year), your insurance will (likely) pay for it. Option B (35€/year) would have you foot the bill (unless those were some expensive-rear end glasses, in which case you'd still pay 250€).

Edit: I should clarify that I'm by no means an expert on these matters. If you need further help, though, feel free to PM me.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 28, 2012

hsgbomber
Jul 25, 2012
i got my haftplichtversicherung for my family at:

haftpflichtkasse darmstadt

i pay 32 € a year and got 150 euro "selbstbeteiligung" and Im very happy with it.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

hsgbomber posted:

i got my haftplichtversicherung for my family at:

haftpflichtkasse darmstadt

i pay 32 € a year and got 150 euro "selbstbeteiligung" and Im very happy with it.

Ok, I was thinking of just going to AXA or something because they're a reputable company that will let me do it online and everyone knows goons hate dealing with people

Also someone get me a room in berlin for under 400 euro a month and in a decent location, TIA

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Landsknecht posted:

Ok, I was thinking of just going to AXA or something because they're a reputable company that will let me do it online and everyone knows goons hate dealing with people

I have mine with AXA, 72€ a year, 0€ selbstbeteiligung. Haven't had to use it yet but no problems with it so far. Probably could get a better deal if I looked into it, but :effort:

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Gold and a Pager posted:

I have mine with AXA, 72€ a year, 0€ selbstbeteiligung. Haven't had to use it yet but no problems with it so far. Probably could get a better deal if I looked into it, but :effort:

I have mine with HUK24, also online and for something like 65€ a year. Didn't really look that much into it as far as comparing prices goes. I have my car insurance with HUK24 so I just went ahead and got my Privathaftpflicht there, too. :shrug:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

bronin posted:

I have mine with HUK24, also online and for something like 65€ a year. Didn't really look that much into it as far as comparing prices goes. I have my car insurance with HUK24 so I just went ahead and got my Privathaftpflicht there, too. :shrug:

Are you me?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

niethan posted:

Are you me?

Probably

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I think I have mine with LVM for around 70ish and Vermögensschadenshaftpflicht at HUK for 110ish for 250.000 €

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I don't have one but now I'm beginning to wonder whether I should get one.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
Anyone have any special tips for finding a WG-room in Berlin when you're only staying for less than a year and you aren't in the city to meet people beforehand? My current experience with it seems to be "gently caress you" and I've given up all hope of finding a room in the promised land (within a few blocks of hallesches tor).

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Landsknecht posted:

Anyone have any special tips for finding a WG-room in Berlin when you aren't in the city to meet people beforehand?
Pretty much impossible, I'd say. Especially if you're a foreigner and don't speak German. Best bet would be to arrive something like a week earlier than you need to and then just stay in a hostel while searching for a place. That being said, a friend of mine found a place last weekend (she's not from Berlin and only staying for 4 months) within basically three appointments she had set up a few days before but a) she's a girl, and b) the place she found is in Moabit (conveniently located for her, though.)

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Are there any other goons living in Hamburg? I've been here about 6 months now and just recently got my dual citizenship so I'm looking to celebrate next weekend. I pick up my Personalausweis in a few days!

If not then I'd love some recommendations on swank bars around Altona/Ottensen if anyone has any.

Oh, and I guess if anyone has any questions about dual citizenship with Germany I'm able to answer them. It's hard as gently caress to get and the entire process from start to finish took me about 2 years.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
If you mean German/US and you didn't get your citizenship through family/marriage, yes I would very much like to know about it.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

schoenfelder posted:

Pretty much impossible, I'd say. Especially if you're a foreigner and don't speak German. Best bet would be to arrive something like a week earlier than you need to and then just stay in a hostel while searching for a place. That being said, a friend of mine found a place last weekend (she's not from Berlin and only staying for 4 months) within basically three appointments she had set up a few days before but a) she's a girl, and b) the place she found is in Moabit (conveniently located for her, though.)

I speak german, so yeah, I've skyped a few people in german/english and I'll see what comes of those. I know a few people in the city, and I figure worst case scenario is I ask one of them to put up for a few weeks (he lives on tempelhofer ufer, which as far as I am concerned is the best place in the city) while I find a place.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Troubadour posted:

If you mean German/US and you didn't get your citizenship through family/marriage, yes I would very much like to know about it.

German/Canadian and it was through family. Proving it was the hardest part though since my grandparents became Canadian in the 60s.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
The reason I am curious is that my understanding is I would normally have to give up my US citizenship to get German citizenship. I am definitely not interested in doing that, but I wouldn't mind dual citizenship. I'm not sure of the differences between German/Canadian and German/US citizenship, though. I know dual citizenship is no problem for EU members.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I am like 99% sure the United States don't have a problem with dual citizenship, so if you qualify for German citizenship you're fine.

I'm guessing Germany doesn't have the same requirement as France does though that you need to register your citizenship by maternity before your 19th birthday.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
The problem wouldn't be with the US, it would be with the German authorities. Even when I got a German driver's license I had to give up my US one. On the other hand, I've only done internet research and not spoken to a lawyer or anything.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Troubadour posted:

The problem wouldn't be with the US, it would be with the German authorities. Even when I got a German driver's license I had to give up my US one. On the other hand, I've only done internet research and not spoken to a lawyer or anything.

http://www.canada.diplo.de/Vertretung/kanada/en/02/citizenship/__citizenship.html#topic6

Not to mention Mulatto Butts did it, and even though the second country is different from yours, the German authorities let him do it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

HookShot posted:

Not to mention Mulatto Butts did it, and even though the second country is different from yours, the German authorities let him do it.

Looks like you didn't read that the guy did it through family and the other guy asked specifically about not doing it that way. The two ways this works are completely different.

Here's the German law about exceptions to the principle that foreigners who become naturalized Germans have to give up their existing citizenship:

---

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/rustag/__12.html

§ 12

(1) Von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 wird abgesehen, wenn der Ausländer seine bisherige Staatsangehörigkeit nicht oder nur unter besonders schwierigen Bedingungen aufgeben kann. Das ist anzunehmen, wenn
das Recht des ausländischen Staates das Ausscheiden aus dessen Staatsangehörigkeit nicht vorsieht,
der ausländische Staat die Entlassung regelmäßig verweigert,
der ausländische Staat die Entlassung aus der Staatsangehörigkeit aus Gründen versagt hat, die der Ausländer nicht zu vertreten hat, oder von unzumutbaren Bedingungen abhängig macht oder über den vollständigen und formgerechten Entlassungsantrag nicht in angemessener Zeit entschieden hat,
der Einbürgerung älterer Personen ausschließlich das Hindernis eintretender Mehrstaatigkeit entgegensteht, die Entlassung auf unverhältnismäßige Schwierigkeiten stößt und die Versagung der Einbürgerung eine besondere Härte darstellen würde,
dem Ausländer bei Aufgabe der ausländischen Staatsangehörigkeit erhebliche Nachteile insbesondere wirtschaftlicher oder vermögensrechtlicher Art entstehen würden, die über den Verlust der staatsbürgerlichen Rechte hinausgehen, oder
der Ausländer einen Reiseausweis nach Artikel 28 des Abkommens vom 28. Juli 1951 über die Rechtsstellung der Flüchtlinge (BGBl. 1953 II S. 559) besitzt.
(2) Von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 wird ferner abgesehen, wenn der Ausländer die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union oder der Schweiz besitzt.
(3) Weitere Ausnahmen von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 können nach Maßgabe völkerrechtlicher Verträge vorgesehen werden.

---

Here's my officially certified translation to English as far as Troubadour is concerned: "Ain't gonna happen".

And before anyone posts "but I know someone...", it's usually one of the following cases:

1. They are European,
2. They did it through family,
3. They did something illegal (false documents),
4. Misunderstanding,
5. Not telling the truth.

If anyone here has a genuine, documented story of somebody who was born outside Germany with no German family whatsoever becoming German through something that is not family ties and not having to give up their previous citizenship, I'd be interested. Otherwise I'll consider these things a myth.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 6, 2012

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

My understanding is that Germany only allows dual citizenships for

1) the cases of people possessing both citizenships at the moment of birth (technically this is the category I fall into, I'm legally a German born abroad even though my mother never lived in Germany herself. She was born in Canada to German citizens and then the citizenship got passed on to me. It feels like a bit of a legal fiction, but there it is. At the Berzirksamt I had to fill out a special form about how I'm German and just have my other citizenship through birth. It took a while for her to figure out the right forms and how to fill them out, she had never seen a case like mine before during a Personalausweis application.)

2) cases where someone naturalizes in germany but the second country has no provisions to allow for people renouncing citizenship. I think Israel might fall into this category? Either way it still involves going through the entire naturalization process, something which I've been able to bypass.

Children who acquire one or the other are allowed to hold both until they're 19 (I think?) at which point they have to decide which one they want to keep.

As the poster above me pointed out, unless you have a very specific background it's pretty much impossible without breaking the law. Germany has very different and much stricter rules regarding dual citizenships than France, Britain or Italy (just to name a few examples off the top of my head).

The best option is always to ask a consulate if you're unsure about eligibility though, I'm just some random guy on the internet and don't deal with this stuff for a living.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Well, it's good to know I haven't been working off false premises at least. And the law could always change in the future. I'll just have to make sure I don't lose my job until then.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

flavor posted:

Looks like you didn't read that the guy did it through family and the other guy asked specifically about not doing it that way. The two ways this works are completely different.

Here's the German law about exceptions to the principle that foreigners who become naturalized Germans have to give up their existing citizenship:

---

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/rustag/__12.html

§ 12

(1) Von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 wird abgesehen, wenn der Ausländer seine bisherige Staatsangehörigkeit nicht oder nur unter besonders schwierigen Bedingungen aufgeben kann. Das ist anzunehmen, wenn
das Recht des ausländischen Staates das Ausscheiden aus dessen Staatsangehörigkeit nicht vorsieht,
der ausländische Staat die Entlassung regelmäßig verweigert,
der ausländische Staat die Entlassung aus der Staatsangehörigkeit aus Gründen versagt hat, die der Ausländer nicht zu vertreten hat, oder von unzumutbaren Bedingungen abhängig macht oder über den vollständigen und formgerechten Entlassungsantrag nicht in angemessener Zeit entschieden hat,
der Einbürgerung älterer Personen ausschließlich das Hindernis eintretender Mehrstaatigkeit entgegensteht, die Entlassung auf unverhältnismäßige Schwierigkeiten stößt und die Versagung der Einbürgerung eine besondere Härte darstellen würde,
dem Ausländer bei Aufgabe der ausländischen Staatsangehörigkeit erhebliche Nachteile insbesondere wirtschaftlicher oder vermögensrechtlicher Art entstehen würden, die über den Verlust der staatsbürgerlichen Rechte hinausgehen, oder
der Ausländer einen Reiseausweis nach Artikel 28 des Abkommens vom 28. Juli 1951 über die Rechtsstellung der Flüchtlinge (BGBl. 1953 II S. 559) besitzt.
(2) Von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 wird ferner abgesehen, wenn der Ausländer die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union oder der Schweiz besitzt.
(3) Weitere Ausnahmen von der Voraussetzung des § 10 Abs. 1 Satz 1 Nr. 4 können nach Maßgabe völkerrechtlicher Verträge vorgesehen werden.

---

Here's my officially certified translation to English as far as Troubadour is concerned: "Ain't gonna happen".

And before anyone posts "but I know someone...", it's usually one of the following cases:

1. They are European,
2. They did it through family,
3. They did something illegal (false documents),
4. Misunderstanding,
5. Not telling the truth.

If anyone here has a genuine, documented story of somebody who was born outside Germany with no German family whatsoever becoming German through something that is not family ties and not having to give up their previous citizenship, I'd be interested. Otherwise I'll consider these things a myth.

Oh, I assumed Troubadour meant getting it through family as well, same as Mulatto Butts, since he was asking about his experience.

I'm so bad at reading comprehension :(

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Landsknecht posted:

Anyone have any special tips for finding a WG-room in Berlin when you're only staying for less than a year and you aren't in the city to meet people beforehand? My current experience with it seems to be "gently caress you" and I've given up all hope of finding a room in the promised land (within a few blocks of hallesches tor).

First of all, if you need a WG, WG-Gesucht.de is the way to go (duh):
http://www.wg-gesucht.de/en/wg-zimmer-in-Berlin.8.0.0.0.html

Secondly, I'm not up to date on Berlin specifically but judging from other cities, finding a place to stay is real lovely work. Since you're a) a guy and b) a dirty foreigner it's extra hard. If at all possible I'd try to find a WG that has older, almost-finished students or people who actually work. Stay away from freshmen since they'll want "keine Zweck-WG", which essentially translates into "Replacement family/people who take care of my dirty dishes for me".

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

First of all, if you need a WG, WG-Gesucht.de is the way to go (duh):
http://www.wg-gesucht.de/en/wg-zimmer-in-Berlin.8.0.0.0.html

Secondly, I'm not up to date on Berlin specifically but judging from other cities, finding a place to stay is real lovely work. Since you're a) a guy and b) a dirty foreigner it's extra hard. If at all possible I'd try to find a WG that has older, almost-finished students or people who actually work. Stay away from freshmen since they'll want "keine Zweck-WG", which essentially translates into "Replacement family/people who take care of my dirty dishes for me".

Big question: what the hell should I be paying per month? I really have no clue as I've only rented in Munich before

Like basically I just want to know what i should roughly be paying, and when people are getting extra money out of me.

Also: I know someone who offered me a room for January (when I arrive), if I take it how likely is it that I can find a new place within a few weeks for February.

Landsknecht fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 7, 2012

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Stay away from freshmen since they'll want "keine Zweck-WG", which essentially translates into "Replacement family/people who take care of my dirty dishes for me".
Listen to this man. It doesn't get any worse than living with hippie freshmen that kick you out for not participating in their 420 drum circle sessions during finals week.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Landsknecht posted:

Big question: what the hell should I be paying per month? I really have no clue as I've only rented in Munich before
Depends on a few factors, obviously, but I'd expect to pay 300-350 EUR/month. Anything more than that seems like a rip-off. To give you some perspective: I live alone in a centrally located 2-room flat of about 53 sqm and I pay about 530 EUR (utilities included) which I thought wasn't super-cheap when I moved in earlier this year but is about par for the course.

quote:

Also: I know someone who offered me a room for January (when I arrive), if I take it how likely is it that I can find a new place within a few weeks for February.
Yes. Expect to find a place within days if you're an anti-fascist, anti-capitalist, anti-sexist, vegan, transgendered, biologically female artist who just loves to participate in weekly kitchen table discussions on how to further advance feminism and other assorted topics.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 7, 2012

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

schoenfelder posted:

Depends on a few factors, obviously, but I'd expect to pay 300-350 EUR/month. Anything more than that seems like a rip-off. To give you some perspective: I live alone in a centrally located 2-room flat of about 53 sqm and I pay about 530 EUR (utilities included) which I thought wasn't super-cheap when I moved in earlier this year but is about par for the course.

Yes. Expect to find a place within days if you're an anti-fascist, anti-capitalist, anti-sexist, vegan, transgendered, biologically female artist who just loves to participate in weekly kitchen table discussions on how to further advance feminism and other assorted topics.

I'm working for the CDU, gently caress my life.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Haha, time for a secret identity! Or start working for some ideologically superior organization. :chord:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

elbkaida posted:

Haha, time for a secret identity! Or start working for some ideologically superior organization. :chord:

New idea: I'm am only doing the job ultra-ironically, we can discuss it more at Panoramabar after our vegan breakfast on Sunday. I am also super interested in the Plattesammlung of my new Mitbewohner/in, and would love to hear why they deserve Hartz IV (obviously due to their artistic contribution to society).

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Hey so I'm actually gonna be in Berlin for four to five days, ending on the 23rd when my morning flight leaves. I'm a student and my term here is ending, Ich sprache sheiße Deutsch, and I'll be traveling alone. I'd appreciate suggestions on the following:

A) A hostel recommendation,or a cheap enough hotel. Preferably near public transport.

B)Places to go in the city! It's my last couple of days in Europe so I'd like to go out every night, any places that are interesting/not super exepensive are a plus. Things to do during the day as well, I figure I'll do tourist stuff like the Bundestag, but any other fun stuff in the city would be cool.

C)What kind of card to get for the local public transportation.

D) Just general stuff to do in the city/stuff worth knowing.

Danke!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

themrguy posted:

A) A hostel recommendation,or a cheap enough hotel. Preferably near public transport.
Don't know too much about that but some friends of mine were staying at Plus Hostel a while back. I thought it looked really nice and was in a great location (directly at U/S Warschauer Straße).

quote:

B)Places to go in the city! It's my last couple of days in Europe so I'd like to go out every night, any places that are interesting/not super exepensive are a plus. Things to do during the day as well, I figure I'll do tourist stuff like the Bundestag, but any other fun stuff in the city would be cool.
For nightlife check out the area roughly between and around Schlesisches Tor and Kottbusser Tor U stops, the area around Simon-Dach-Straße/Gabriel-Max-Straße and Revaler Straße and the area around Weserstraße (Neukölln, not to be confused with Weserstraße in Friedrichshain).

quote:

C)What kind of card to get for the local public transportation.
Unless you want to do some museums and fancy a discount on the entrance fees the "Welcome Card" seems to be more expensive than buying individual one-day tickets (beware: these are not valid for a 24-hour period but on the day of validation until 3 am the next morning).

quote:

D) Just general stuff to do in the city/stuff worth knowing.
Might get back to that later.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

schoenfelder posted:

Don't know too much about that but some friends of mine were staying at Plus Hostel a while back. I thought it looked really nice and was in a great location (directly at U/S Warschauer Straße).

I've stayed at the Plus Hostel a couple of times and can second this recommendation. The beds are pretty firm, but other than that, it's a great place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
You obviously have to visit the Berlin Wall while listening to I've Been Looking For Freedom. It's the law. :colbert: