Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dekko
May 23, 2007

Dilkington posted:

This has happened quite a lot in the US I think.

I might be talking total shite here, but I was under the impression that in the US sports teams are generally accepted as being 'franchises' or business concerns? So this sort of thing is maybe less of a problem?

In the UK, on the other hand, sports teams (and football teams in particular) often have a really strong connection with the communities where theyre based, to the point where supporting a certain team can be one of the defining aspects of local identity and culture. So taking a club, its name, its trophies and laying claim to its history and then loving off to another part of the country so you can make money off it is some pretty reprehensible poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Dekko posted:

I might be talking total shite here, but I was under the impression that in the US sports teams are generally accepted as being 'franchises' or business concerns? So this sort of thing is maybe less of a problem?

In the UK, on the other hand, sports teams (and football teams in particular) often have a really strong connection with the communities where theyre based, to the point where supporting a certain team can be one of the defining aspects of local identity and culture. So taking a club, its name, its trophies and laying claim to its history and then loving off to another part of the country so you can make money off it is some pretty reprehensible poo poo.
They are franchises, but people will still grow up in a certain area and become deeply tied to a certain team.

The only reason it isn't such a big deal here is that it's happened many, many times over almost a80 years so people have become more numb to it.

Dekko
May 23, 2007

real_scud posted:

They are franchises, but people will still grow up in a certain area and become deeply tied to a certain team.

The only reason it isn't such a big deal here is that it's happened many, many times over almost a80 years so people have become more numb to it.

Fair enough

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
People in Newark in the 70's still affiliated with the Dodgers even though they had moved out of Brooklyn forty years prior. People are weird.

There is a huge disconnect in sports in the USA versus sports anywhere else is. It's as bad as the disconnect on measurements.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The US is weird when it comes to sports. When I lived in the heart of Red Sox country you would still see like Tampa Bay and Yankees fans.

Hockey seems to be the only sport in America where theres barely little plasticing.

Does that happen in England?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Abu Dave posted:

The US is weird when it comes to sports. When I lived in the heart of Red Sox country you would still see like Tampa Bay and Yankees fans.

Hockey seems to be the only sport in America where theres barely little plasticing.

Tampa Bay is not exactly a huge or rich team. You will find at times that an ethnic community has one of their own hit the big league and then you will have this odd enclave of fans like in Queens.

From what I have seen of American youth however (and recently) is that they no longer even have a club affiliation, they literally switch teams and shirts the moment some new guy is "the thing".

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Lladre posted:

Tampa Bay is not exactly a huge or rich team. You will find at times that an ethnic community has one of their own hit the big league and then you will have this odd enclave of fans like in Queens.

From what I have seen of American youth however (and recently) is that they no longer even have a club affiliation, they literally switch teams and shirts the moment some new guy is "the thing".

Or people move to a different part of the country and continue to support the teams they grew up with?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I would walk down Crouch St. in Colchester and see Barcelona, Real Madrid, United, and Liverpool tops. I only ever saw Colchester United kits on game day, and those were easily outnumbered by other clubs. The US isn't any different from the rest of the world when it comes to supporting clubs/teams.

And no, fair weather fans aren't a new thing. They've been around since sport began.

Edit for content: Adriano is probably retiring soon. Earlier this month he got drunk in a nightclub and yelled at everyone that he was proud of who he was and where he came from (lovely cell phone video at the bottom of the post). He's been injured and not training, but still in nightclubs doing this stuff. He's also come out and said some things that just show this guy wasn't really meant for the spotlight:

quote:

"It's too complicated for me. My father, when he died, said only one thing to me 'Adriano, be yourself'," he told Fox Sports.

"And I am what I am. I'm thrilled to be near my father here. Everyone judges me because I'm in my community.

"Do you know why? Because here I can drink beer because I want to drink. Here I am like everyone else. I can eat a hot dog, a burger, buy a car and not be denied."

The dude is 30 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOppeeki6go

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 30, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

The closest thing to the Wimbledon thing is the city of Baltimore. The Colts left literally in the middle of the night in moving vans and went to Indianapolis. Baltimore has a serious hate for the Colts from now until forever. Unfortunately, the Ravens, their current NFL team, were relocated from Cleveland and pissed off the people of Cleveland. Who they play twice a year.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
American teams relocating isn't exactly rare from what I've heard/read, certainly with NFL and MLB teams.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've always found college sports more similar to our teams. For obvious reasons they can't move around, often have a dedicated support base in their home towns (and not too much elsewhere), and it's passed from parent to child. The NFL/MLB/NBA etc is hard to relate to, it's not something we really have parallel to here. Maybe those people who'll support the English/German/Spanish/etc teams in the CL?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
There's still a lot of bad blood between Baltimore (and the Baltimore Ravens) and the Indianapolis Colts (formerly the Baltimore Colts).

The playoff game a few years ago was pretty brutal in terms of fans throwing poo poo at the Colts' bus, etc. That relocation was particularly bad just because the owner literally just stuffed the entire team and facility into a bunch of trucks and moved overnight.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Interesting that he got it in English. Apparently it's something Genghis Khan said.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking that even in the past ten years theres been atleast 6 (supersonics, nets, marlins, hornets, expos, thrashers) relocations / rebranding of major sports teams in America.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 30, 2012

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

That is an alpha tat. He's looking skinnyfat though, maybe needs to tighten up his diet.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Gigi Galli posted:

Interesting that he got it in English. Apparently it's something Genghis Khan said.

Then why didn't he get it in Mongolian?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

EvilHawk posted:

I've always found college sports more similar to our teams. For obvious reasons they can't move around, often have a dedicated support base in their home towns (and not too much elsewhere), and it's passed from parent to child.

Not to keep up the derail, but the only thing here that doesn't apply to pro teams here is the can't move part. Supporting a team that's not where you live is pretty uncommon, and usually because you've moved or you're a frontrunner who supports the Yankees or Red Sox.* There might be fewer teams in a town vying for your attention, but the relationship is no less personal.

Baseball is an interesting case; the league was static from 1903 to 1953, and then most of the moves were westward as population centers shifted from the 50s to 70s and air travel became practical. (And actually, until the Expos in 2005, baseball hadn't had a team move since 1972; new markets were served by expansion rather than relocation of existing teams.)

*edit: I admit that, being from Philadelphia/ the east coast, my view here might be biased/skewed.

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 30, 2012

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Not to keep up the derail, but the only thing here that doesn't apply to pro teams here is the can't move part. Supporting a team that's not where you live is pretty uncommon, and usually because you've moved or you're a frontrunner who supports the Yankees or Red Sox.* There might be fewer teams in a town vying for your attention, but the relationship is no less personal.

Baseball is an interesting case; the league was static from 1903 to 1953, and then most of the moves were westward as population centers shifted from the 50s to 70s and air travel became practical. (And actually, until the Expos in 2005, baseball hadn't had a team move since 1972; new markets were served by expansion rather than relocation of existing teams.)

*edit: I admit that, being from Philadelphia/ the east coast, my view here might be biased/skewed.
Yeah, moving is pretty uncommon, but it's so damaging the fact that it can happen at all is enough. I'm still crushed by the Sonics move, and I'm a Lakers fan!

And every few years the Chargers threaten to move so they get money from the city to stay.

s0meb0dy0 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 30, 2012

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng
ugh enough with this US bullshit

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Own Goal

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Hahahaha that's loving amazing.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
The Austin Aztex, who were affiliated with Stoke City, were up and moved to Orlando while they were at the top of the league, and won the title the following year in Florida.

In short, gently caress stoke forever.

e: didn't realize I was in the picture thread with all this chatting, here is a picture of current resurrected Austin Aztex manager Paul Daglish winning the MLS cup with Houston on the eve of the MLS final:

Reek fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 1, 2012

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

Tony Adams looks like a loving TV vampire.
edit:

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Prof Essien turns into the Incredible Hulk on the field. Then his knees blow up. Supposedly he's back at Chelsea getting treated for some reaction to medication while at Madrid.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
What do you get when Real Madrid plays against a mongol horde?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is his Ezikiel 25:17 moment except he's going to get the motherfucker to read it himself

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I enjoyed the players having to break up fights.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Oh dear....

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
He looks like a big baby

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Where did the camo thing come from?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Where did the camo thing come from?

In the First World War, the Cubist painter Andre Mare designed camouflage schemes for the French, British and Italian armies. One of his specialities was designing camouflaged armoured trees for use as observation posts; he was wounded in 1916 helping to set up an observation post.

In April 1917, when German U-boats were sinking many British ships with torpedoes, the marine artist Norman Wilkinson devised dazzle camouflage, which paradoxically made ships more visible but harder to target.

In Wilkinson's own words, dazzle was designed "not for low visibility, but in such a way as to break up her form and thus confuse a submarine officer as to the course on which she was heading".

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Didn't really know where to put this so its going here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2012/dec/01/german-fan-owned-clubs-bundesliga

This is a fun article for those of you that like feeling insanely jealous of German football and horribly depressed because literally none of it will ever be implemented in England.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
Don't have your own advent calendar? Don't worry, City have provided one that we can all (noone can) enjoy . Day 1 is pretty awesome, day 2 is crap.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4676674/liam-ridgewell-wipes-backside-with-20-pound-notes.html

Shitrag posted:

IT’S a photo that will enrage hard-working football fans across Britain.

West Brom defender Liam Ridgewell, 28, squats over a toilet and wipes his backside with a wad of £20 notes

The article is great, The Sun dubbing him the 'vilest footballer in Britain', literally worse than murderers and rapists. Great Vox Pop quotes also, including the usual 'I wouldn't wipe my arse with a £20 note' from a penniless labourer who of course totally would if he could, a 'Why didn't he think of the children?!' when it was a private snap taken as a gently caress You to a friend he won a bet against.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pretty good definition to his quads there

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If those are used notes that's pretty sick though. Could get an infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Most embarrassingly he actually does have bidet.

• Locked thread