Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just smelling well Tequila makes my gag reflex go off. In order for me to drink tequila it has to be at the least Patron and chilled, even then I have to fight the urge to puke. I don't know what it is about tequila that makes it so hard for me to drink, I can do shots of rot gut whiskey all day long :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

leica posted:

Just smelling well Tequila makes my gag reflex go off. In order for me to drink tequila it has to be at the least Patron and chilled, even then I have to fight the urge to puke. I don't know what it is about tequila that makes it so hard for me to drink, I can do shots of rot gut whiskey all day long :confused:

Recently discussed with the owner a policy of just not allowing people to purchase shots of anything from the well. He suggested that no, we should, but charge double what anything on a higher tier might cost, and when they inevitably balked at the price, explain that the overage was going to a barback insurance fund where backs or lower-tier bartenders (i.e. me) would get combat pay for each bit of puke they cleaned from insta-voms resulting from shots of well anything.

Also, heard the story of one of my fellow bartenders order himself a well tequila-based drink, and another one literally rip the drink away from him explaining "We have paint thinner in the back, you moron, don't drink that" and then proceed to buy him a drink with Don Julio in it instead.

Good bartender, that one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Basically the only time I would pour straight well shots is when, at 12:30 or 1AM some idiot would come up and order a quantity of "shots."

Something fruity?
Something straight?
Something with Red Bull?

"Naw Dude, just whatever!"

Fine, dick, here are your 6 shots of well tequila.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Going one step further, if you're going to ask for a cocktail of the bartender's choice, it's not a bad idea to give them some idea of what you're looking for - maybe a base spirit (bourbon, gin), or something else you really like (citrus juices, fizzes made with egg whites), etc. Doing this at the right bar can open you up to some really cool stuff. There's at least one bartender who has posted in this thread that I have visited more than once and literally never ordered a specific drink from - I just let the guy make whatever seems interesting, and am always pleasantly surprised as a result.

This is a huge part of how my bar functions. I pride myself on cocktail knowledge and adaptability, and doing this as a bartender exercises both heavily. I have one group of people that come in, that at this point just ask me to make cocktails based on word association, or in reference to something in their lives or pop culture. It's fun, and a great way to test out new menu drinks.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Working New Years Eve, my manager let all the staff have one free shot on the house that we cheersed to. Any liqour that we had, they could have a shot of. One of the waitstaff chose well tequila...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

RisqueBarber posted:

Working New Years Eve, my manager let all the staff have one free shot on the house that we cheersed to. Any liqour that we had, they could have a shot of. One of the waitstaff chose well tequila...

Have you asked her out yet? At least you know she'll be a cheap date.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Have you asked her out yet? At least you know she'll be a cheap date.

I remember telling her, you can have anything you want. Anything at all. She was dumb and told me tequila was fine. She didn't even try.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Let me just repost this reminder to all you bartenders to let you know that bartending school can teach me everything I need to take your job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

BattleSausage posted:

Let me just repost this reminder to all you bartenders to let you know that bartending school can teach me everything I need to take your job

Tits

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

I was actually trying to find that video of the guy picking his nose over the glass but I can't remember what he was making.

I was a barback for a year to get some extra cash and I saw any number of hot chicks go straight to tending instead of working up through serving like the guys had to.

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
Just a reminder that December is statistically the least safe month for hospitality staff so make sure to double your safety meeting frequency. I personally will not feel safe until next year.

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW

BattleSausage posted:

This is my favourite parody bartending video and I'm sure Chris Morris fully supports this message.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BattleSausage posted:

No yeah this mint julep is perfect thank you darl

*carefully concealed spittake*

Here's a 10 Dollar tip

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still have not seized the golden idea my manager gave me of making a series of bartender instructional youtubes all shot in front of our urinals, despite already deciding on the name "Jerry johnson's' bartending school"

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 30, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jerry johnsons old fashioned recipe:

60 oz rye whiskey
10 oz sugar syrup
6 dashes angostura bitters

Add ice, top with tap water, garnish with your own bodily fluids

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 30, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Btw if your well tequila actually meets the appellation requirements to be called tequila and you still can't drink it, get out of the industry, before its too late

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

mmmmmmmmm Pancho Villa tequila

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
Speaking of undrinkable shots, I had an awesome customer recently who was having a long running competition with a friend in another state. They started with a base ingredient, and the other person would choose a second ingredient to go into the cocktail. If the first person drank the whole thing without puking they got to pick an additional ingredient that the other person then had to add to their order. They'd been playing this over the phone for about a week, so by the time I served the poor guy his "cocktail" looked something like this:
Tequila
Baileys
Jack Daniels
Grenadine
Gin
Lemon Squash
Midori

The Baileys was the most recent addition so the whole thing started going nice and lumpy as I apologetically put it in front of him.
Took him about 20 minutes to down the thing, but then we started scheming what his friend had to add next round. He loved my suggestion of Jaeger...

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Sambuca or Scotch

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Cynar if you have it, Campari if not.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rumplemintz and/or Goldschlager.

Campari would also work great if you have it

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Maybe a cheap red wine to really mess with both the appearance and the taste?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Absolut Peppar vodka.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Galliano

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Does it have to have alcohol? If not: Tobasco or Horseradish.

Or you could empty the bar mat into it after a rush.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There are too many things for another liquor to make a difference. Go for the kill. You've already got Bailey's, the way to end it is to add fresh lime juice.

Now, if we're taking just making the flavor worse while keeping the game going then my vote is for Laprohaig.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sheep-Goats posted:

There are too many things for another liquor to make a difference. Go for the kill. You've already got Bailey's, the way to end it is to add fresh lime juice.

Now, if we're taking just making the flavor worse while keeping the game going then my vote is for Laprohaig.

The Bailey's is already curdling from the alcohol, or that would have been my vote too.

Edit: Do you know what they are betting on, how much cash is involved?

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

The Bailey's is already curdling from the alcohol, or that would have been my vote too.

Edit: Do you know what they are betting on, how much cash is involved?

This was a few weeks ago, and I didn't see the guy beyond our initial encounter. I just know that he rang his friend afterwards with a "it's your turn! Add Jaeger!"
He didn't imply there was anything in particular they were betting on beyond "can I make my friend drink something revolting and hurl in a public place?".

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

ubermarcus posted:

This was a few weeks ago, and I didn't see the guy beyond our initial encounter. I just know that he rang his friend afterwards with a "it's your turn! Add Jaeger!"
He didn't imply there was anything in particular they were betting on beyond "can I make my friend drink something revolting and hurl in a public place?".

Should have just given him Jaeger straight, stuff tastes like drinking plants I reckon.

Keep the stories coming!

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
Got safe as gently caress last night and am now afraid to remove a bandaid

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Spider Helidon posted:

Got safe as gently caress last night and am now afraid to remove a bandaid

dont do it man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prPG9B7lYW4&t=14s

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
Kind of a random question, how much do limes cost in the USA? And how common if freshly juiced citrus? Here in Australia, we go through a 2 month period where limes go from $20 per 5kg box to scarily close to $200 for the same amount. The last couple of places I've worked have done fresh juice daily, which sometimes results in the juice in a cocktail being more expensive than the liquor. I'm starting to think a couple of lime trees would be a good investment.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Limes range from 3 for a dollar to 10 for a dollar. I don't know what they cost by the case.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
A good investment if you can get them to fruit out of season, I suppose.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

We typically spent between $15/case and $25/case, depending on the season.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
American bar jargon is weird. What the hell is a well? Or well tequila? Why is it different to other tequila?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Coohoolin posted:

American bar jargon is weird. What the hell is a well? Or well tequila? Why is it different to other tequila?

Well liquor is bottom of the shelf liquor. The name comes from keeping it in the well near your sinks and ice, where as your good stuff is shelved where people can see it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

RisqueBarber posted:

Well liquor is bottom of the shelf liquor. The name comes from keeping it in the well near your sinks and ice, where as your good stuff is shelved where people can see it.

Ah, so the exact opposite of how things work here. My bar's biggest charm is the prominently displayed Glens vodka, rank shite, that sells for 1.10 £ a shot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Scotland rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, bartender thread field trip time

• Locked thread