Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Tunga posted:

Sorry I meant the music, not the app. What does it think it can see, are they just files that are on your SD card? What happesn if you just delete one of the songs, does anything disappear? Only one entry? All three? All still there?

There is a system app called Media Storage, clearing the data on that should force a library rebuild. I don't think that will screw up anything else but back up anything important first.

Sorry, I think that was caused by me just skimming the detail of your post. :saddowns:

The music is on the SD card. For each of the two 'non-working' copies the music player app isn't able to display a file location for them, and the working one points to the correct location. I just tried moving one of the files out of the music folder and it just resulted in the one working copy no longer being displayed and the two non-workings ones remaining present, so I don't even know what the gently caress now.

I'm going to try the media storage thing.

edit:
Clearing the data for the Media Storage app did the trick - thanks!

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is Tasker still the best condtional app, or has something come along that is easier to use? I set up my Evo and Tasker profiles 2 years ago, now that I have a Galaxy S3 I've found half the stuff I had set up is no longer necessary thanks to the OS itself...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can use Llama too, it's free so worth a try. It'll do the ringing thing too (noisy contacts)

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Are there any apps that allow SA smilies to be used in text messaging, or a messaging app that supports them?

I keep wanting to type :rms: to my wife but the text doesn't convey it very well

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Can someone recommend a free lock screen app? I know widgetlocker is the go-to, but I really just need something simple to get rid of the camera/message/phone option from my Razr HD. I hate those things.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007
Am I to understand this correctly that you can no longer buy apps in the Play Store app if you have 2-step verification enabled on your account?

Last night, I tried to buy an app. Once I got to where I normally have to enter my PIN to purchase something, it told me to enter my account password. I did so and it told me it was wrong. The only other password I can think to enter would be my app specific password for this particular device but I was under the impression that once you enter those passwords in, you never have to remember them again so I no longer have it on hand.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
What is the new twitterer app that you goons are using these days? Still using tweetdeck but it is showing its age on my gs3.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

AlexMoron posted:

Am I to understand this correctly that you can no longer buy apps in the Play Store app if you have 2-step verification enabled on your account?

Last night, I tried to buy an app. Once I got to where I normally have to enter my PIN to purchase something, it told me to enter my account password. I did so and it told me it was wrong. The only other password I can think to enter would be my app specific password for this particular device but I was under the impression that once you enter those passwords in, you never have to remember them again so I no longer have it on hand.

Not sure how you have it set up, but I buy apps all the time, and I have 2-step verification enabled. Maybe try downloading Google Authenticator and see if you can use those codes to log in. I guess it also helps that I don't have a PIN set up for purchasing, I just do it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexMoron posted:

This definitely isn't the case, but you may need to remove and re-add the Google account on your phone. It should either ask for an app-specific password, or on recent builds (JB only? not sure) it just asks for an authenticator code once and then everything on your device will work.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

What is the new twitterer app that you goons are using these days? Still using tweetdeck but it is showing its age on my gs3.

Just use Plume.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Plume is good as Skeezy said. I personally like Tweetings but its a paid app.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah if you don't mind paying Tweetings is really good cause it has push notifications in addition to other cool stuff.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Tunga posted:

This definitely isn't the case, but you may need to remove and re-add the Google account on your phone. It should either ask for an app-specific password, or on recent builds (JB only? not sure) it just asks for an authenticator code once and then everything on your device will work.

I just reset the app-specific password for my phone and it still asks for the password at checkout. So it looks like you have to enter your app-specific password every time you want to buy something. I dunno, it just seems kinda stupid to have to memorize a password the screen tells you there's no need to memorize upon creation.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

AlexMoron posted:

I just reset the app-specific password for my phone and it still asks for the password at checkout. So it looks like you have to enter your app-specific password every time you want to buy something. I dunno, it just seems kinda stupid to have to memorize a password the screen tells you there's no need to memorize upon creation.

I think there's something strange going on with your phone. I use 2 factor auth and have done for about a year, and have only ever been asked for my pin. I just went to the market and progressed a test purchase to the point where it normally asks for a pin and it still does.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

TweetLanes on my phone, but development is winding up on it like many other new Twitter apps due to the new API restrictions. But it still works just fine and has a better holo-style interface than just about anything else I've used.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweetlanes.android

Tweetings as someone else recommended is actually based on Twidere so if you want a free version try that (may or may not have the same features depending on how heavily they change it)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mariotaku.twidere

Falcon Pro is actively being developed, I don't particularly like the interface but it is showing promise
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34361296

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

AlexMoron posted:

Yeah, that's definitely something wonky on your end. I've had 2-Factor and pre-purchase pin enabled for a long time and it definitely works just fine. I just now bought Bard's Tale and it only asked for my pin.

What phone and which version of Android do you have?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I think there's something strange going on with your phone. I use 2 factor auth and have done for about a year, and have only ever been asked for my pin. I just went to the market and progressed a test purchase to the point where it normally asks for a pin and it still does.

Seconding this. Although it did prompt me to enter my password when trying to make a purchase after a wipe, you can just generate a new app-specific password and enter that. No need to use the same one you used on your phone.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

Geektox posted:

What phone and which version of Android do you have?

I'm still on an HTC Thunderbolt with Android 2.3.7. I never used to have this problem but I also don't frequently buy apps all that much. I don't know if it's something with the Play Store app update or not but I hope making that one purchase fixed it.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Are there any podcast apps that have both good notification controls AND lockscreen controls?

GoodNews and Doggcatcher do notification controls and PocketCasts has lockscreen controls (although they're hideous), but nothing in the notification dropdown. I'd like something that does both... any suggestions?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

AlexMoron posted:

I'm still on an HTC Thunderbolt with Android 2.3.7. I never used to have this problem but I also don't frequently buy apps all that much. I don't know if it's something with the Play Store app update or not but I hope making that one purchase fixed it.

Very odd. but as Penguissimo said, if it does end up happening again you should be able to generate yet another password and just use that. Another thing you could try is using the Clear Data option under the Play Store entry in the Applications menu (under Settings)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

pragan4 posted:

Are there any podcast apps that have both good notification controls AND lockscreen controls?

GoodNews and Doggcatcher do notification controls and PocketCasts has lockscreen controls (although they're hideous), but nothing in the notification dropdown. I'd like something that does both... any suggestions?

BeyondPod does both.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Whizbang posted:

BeyondPod does both.

And I love it because of this. BeyondPod was the first podcast player I downloaded and, no matter how many others I try, I just keep coming back to it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pragan4 posted:

GoodNews works fine in the default lockscreen controls. Do you not have Ice Cream Sandwich or better?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Red Warrior posted:

TweetLanes on my phone, but development is winding up on it like many other new Twitter apps due to the new API restrictions. But it still works just fine and has a better holo-style interface than just about anything else I've used.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tweetlanes.android

Tweetings as someone else recommended is actually based on Twidere so if you want a free version try that (may or may not have the same features depending on how heavily they change it)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mariotaku.twidere

Falcon Pro is actively being developed, I don't particularly like the interface but it is showing promise
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34361296

Plume is annoying with it's ad popup at the bottom of the feed (obviously I am using the unpaid version), and it feels a little overdone for my tastes. The simplicity of tweetdeck was what I loved most about it.

I appreciate what Tweetlanes is trying to do, but it seems to have a bunch of missing features, I will need to keep checking it out as it gets developed.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I like Twidere a lot, but it is missing a widget that indicates new tweets in my feed, which sucks. Does Tweetings have a good widget included, I am more willing to purchase this than Plume.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Plume is annoying with it's ad popup at the bottom of the feed (obviously I am using the unpaid version), and it feels a little overdone for my tastes. The simplicity of tweetdeck was what I loved most about it.

I appreciate what Tweetlanes is trying to do, but it seems to have a bunch of missing features, I will need to keep checking it out as it gets developed.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I like Twidere a lot, but it is missing a widget that indicates new tweets in my feed, which sucks. Does Tweetings have a good widget included, I am more willing to purchase this than Plume.

Tweeting has a timeline widget, but it's this weird dark grey text on light grey BG that can't be changed as far as I can tell. I use the Twitter widget from Android Pro Widget so I'm not bothered about that.

Tweet Lanes won't be actively developed anymore due to the Twitter API changes so don't expect new features. :(

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Edit: never mind, someone read it to me wrong

uapyro fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2012

superunknown
Jul 11, 2001

If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?
Is there a good video streaming app out there somewhere? Emit is too buggy and Plex was laughably bad when I tried it a few months ago.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

pragan4 posted:

DoggCatcher has both. Did you just not realize or was it not sufficient?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

superunknown posted:

Is there a good video streaming app out there somewhere? Emit is too buggy and Plex was laughably bad when I tried it a few months ago.

Skifta. But no transposing in that.

Has anyone got a more up to date review of plex?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

LastInLine posted:

GoodNews works fine in the default lockscreen controls. Do you not have Ice Cream Sandwich or better?

I'm using 4.2, so something makes me think the lock screen controls aren't working correctly. Thanks everyone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Speaking of Twitter apps, Falcon Pro finally got released and it only costs $1.03.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

superunknown posted:

Qloud Media is like Emit but it works well.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
Can anyone recommend some good sms tablet apps? Basically I'd like to be able to receive and respond to texts my phone gets on my Nexus 7. Paid for or free, doesn't really matter.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Skeezy posted:

Speaking of Twitter apps, Falcon Pro finally got released and it only costs $1.03.

How do you access your lists in this app?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Skeezy posted:

Hands-down the best so far.

az jan jananam posted:

There's a right drawer as well. Swipe to the left.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

az jan jananam posted:

Swipe right.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

stimpy posted:

does anyone have a recommendation for an app that will allow only specific numbers to ring through while the phone is in silent mode? I've seen several on google play, but most have pretty so so reviews.

e: and that will kick in automatically when silent mode is on rather than having to set a timer.

There's a freebie called SemiSilent that does this.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

SuperNuts posted:

Can anyone recommend some good sms tablet apps? Basically I'd like to be able to receive and respond to texts my phone gets on my Nexus 7. Paid for or free, doesn't really matter.

Google voice

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Falcon Pro, I just tried to buy this app and had the beta still installed from XDA. When it paid and then tried to push to my phone from the web Store, the phone claimed the app was already installed.

I uninstalled the beta...and the Play Store promptly gave me a refund for the paid app even though I never had the chance to actually install it.

Um...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'd like to transition away from Itunes...I mostly use it for podcasts now. What's a nice, relatively simple podcast app that can download and store podcasts on my SD card (my real SD card, not the "emulated" one that the Galaxy has) via WiFi automatically, and automatically set up smart playlists that have them in the order of oldest first, etc?

I've seen a few recommendations here...I tried Doggcatcher a few years back, and while it was cool, I had issues with the volume not being very loud. BeyondPod seems cool, but looks like it has a ton of features I don't know that I would use.

• Locked thread