Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So thanks to this thread I have now started intentionally farting in my dogs' faces. It is hilarious and also payback for all those times they lay with their butt up near my face on the bed and let one rip.

I also have favorites. My 3 dog boys are hard to place (though Dan has to be the best, just because I've had him for like 14 years now), but Ruby and Sophie...eh. My current partner asked if she could have them if we ever split up and I was like, "Yeah, that's fine with me." Like I love them and all, and I'd never dump them in a random home, but I could live without them. This actually makes me feel horribly guilty because Ruby loves me, like "refuses to walk 10 feet away from me in public places even when lured with the tastiest treats ever" loves me, and I knew her previous owners and she never had anyone she loved like that before. But I think she's sweet and all but you know...she's just a pet, not a dog I worked and bonded with like my boys.

I'm also not that fond of my cats. Again, I really care about them in a way and I take responsibility for them (some may remember my angst over my ex wanting one and I didn't think he'd take care of him, and if y'all saw my dental bills on the tortie you'd never doubt my care for these animals), but really, I could take 'em or leave 'em in a "must have them in my life" sense. It's almost like they're other people's animals, so I still care for them but not really with that deep emotional attachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

When Amadeus starts bitching in his cage loud enough to wake me in the mornings I stumble out of bed and open its door before collapsing back in bed. He never progresses to proper screaming but the loud parrot quacks are pretty drat annoying and he's potty trained, if he wants to spend the next hour and a half snuggled on my pillow or against my neck that's cool.

I'm reinforcing bad behavior but damnit all he wants is to go back to sleep next to me

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

I let my cat boss me around. When I'm up too late dicking around on the computer he'll tell me it's time to go to bed by getting up on the arm rest and pat me till I get up and follow him to the bedroom. Then he'll lay on my tummy and go to sleep. He does the same when he's hungry.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I like to watch my cats fight, I'll cheer them on by calling out "cat war" whenever they start. They have been a lot more chill now that I have a dog again since he tends to break up skirmishes by sticking his nose in and barking.

I also like to say horrible things to my pets. I tell my dog that he's going to doggy hell. I say to the skittish cat "you're gonna die little one, and it's gonna be soon." After my last dog was euthanized I told the cat "you're next". I call the other one my little Republican senator because he likes to follow me into the bathroom so he can get attention without the other cat finding out. I'm really glad they can't understand me.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Oh well if we're counting verbal abuse...I constantly (and I mean constantly) tell George that nobody likes him, and that I'm going to dump him in the desert just like his last owners did because I think they had the right idea. And then sometimes my mom will be visiting and hear me say that and tell me, "You know, they may not understand English but they can pick up on the energy you're sending out," and even though I don't really think George has any doubt that I adore him, I get all guilty. I wouldn't really dump you in the desert George. :saddowns:

I tell Bandit that I will just shoot him if he does [insert x that he does all the time here] one more time. Then he does it again and I tell him I'm going to get my gun, because it's about time I quit putting up with that poo poo. But I don't feel guilty because then I point my finger at him and go "Bang Bang!" which is his cue to play dead so he does and I give him a reward.

Also I spent the night at my partner's house last night and one of my dogs peed in the bathroom wastebasket during the night. The aim was perfect and I found it hilarious, though my partner was less amused so I pretended I wasn't happy either. It was really funny though and I wish I knew which dog it was so I could give them a high-five.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

2tomorrow posted:

I'm also not that fond of my cats. Again, I really care about them in a way and I take responsibility for them (some may remember my angst over my ex wanting one and I didn't think he'd take care of him, and if y'all saw my dental bills on the tortie you'd never doubt my care for these animals), but really, I could take 'em or leave 'em in a "must have them in my life" sense. It's almost like they're other people's animals, so I still care for them but not really with that deep emotional attachment.

Yeah, I feel this way about my cat too. I become a big, blubby baby if something is wrong with the ferrets because I live then more than anything, but the cat in general is just meh. I enjoy him, but he is not essential to my mental well-being like the ferrets are, even the ferret I've only had for half the time I've had the cat.

Cat: gets boarded or left home with a timed feeder when I'm out of town

Ferrets: have a special travel cage and come on nearly every vacation/trip with me

Cat: gets pets when I feel like letting him drool on me

Ferrets: get cradled like babies in my arms while being fed treats every day

Cat: loves me more than anything ever

Ferrets: don't want to be held unless treats are involved, hate being petted or scritched, bite my feet

If this story was about a relationship with men rather than pets, it would be on the Lifetime channel.

Serella fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 30, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Serella posted:

Yeah, I feel this way about my cat too. I become a big, blubby baby if something is wrong with the ferrets because I live then more than anything, but the cat in general is just meh. I enjoy him, but he is not essential to my mental well-being like the ferrets are, even the ferret I've only had for half the time I've had the cat.

Cat: gets boarded or left home with a timed feeder when I'm out of town

Ferrets: have a special travel cage and come on nearly every vacation/trip with me

Cat: gets pets when I feel like letting him drool on me

Ferrets: get cradled like babies in my arms while being fed treats every day

Cat: loves me more than anything ever

Ferrets: don't want to be held unless treats are involved, hate being petted or scritched, bite my feet

If this story was about a relationship with men rather than pets, it would be on the Lifetime channel.

Cold Heart, Warm Belly: A Lifetime Animal Channel Movie.

I love Feldman and he's my boy and I'd kick another dog to death to protect him. My aunts dog? Meh. If a mastiff or something were to suddenly run by and snatch her up, well that's just nature taking it's course.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

When Amadeus starts bitching in his cage loud enough to wake me in the mornings I stumble out of bed and open its door before collapsing back in bed. He never progresses to proper screaming but the loud parrot quacks are pretty drat annoying and he's potty trained, if he wants to spend the next hour and a half snuggled on my pillow or against my neck that's cool.

I'm reinforcing bad behavior but damnit all he wants is to go back to sleep next to me

Oh, this is standard procedure at my place. It's actually very weird to not slowly wake up in bed with a conure staring me down (and occasionally biting my nose). I figure it's only bad behavior if you don't want them to do it - I like being woken up by the bird in the morning. Matter of fact, I think I slept through my alarms because the bird didn't start bitching to be let out when they went off because she slept in the big cage upstairs.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
RATS

When I had rats, I completely ignored PI and fed them Harlan Teklad. They got fruits/veg every other day or so, and usually whatever was left on my plate for dinner (if it was okay for them to have it).

Whenever one started to degenerate, my ex would put a .22 through its head in the back yard rather than take it to the vet for $100 a pop. I told him he had better never, ever miss, and he didn't.

DOG

I yell at Q-Ball to get out of the damned kitchen about five times a day while cooking dinner, then I yell at him to get out of the damned living room while we're eating.

I also ignore him a lot. I should give him more baths so I'd want to pet him more, at least. :< His claws get clipped maybe once a month, if that, but I always have Quick-Stop on hand.

I will shove the dog out the door if he won't go because it's raining or snowing, and then I won't let him in until I see him pee. This usually results in howling, soaking wet dog after 15 minutes.

I de-landmine the yard about four times a year because I don't go out there, so why do I care?

He only gets walks when it's warm out, and usually once or twice a week, if that. I don't think he cares, as he's only interested in going up to EVERY CAR ON THE BLOCK to go for a ride. He likes rides, and he looooves going to the vet. Strange, retarded dog.

I regularly tell him variations of: I'm going to bring him back to Lollypop Farms (where I adopted him from), he's such a retarded dumbshit and that's why his previous hunter family just left him on the highway in Virginia, I should just let the ex put a .22 in his skull, ask him if he's just dumb or does he have Down Syndrome, when he dies I'm going to stuff him and use him for a nightstand, and so on and so forth. His tail never stops wagging the whole time.

I've been told that I do this to other people's dogs too and they think it's absolutely hilarious because the tone of my voice is sugary sweet while I'm belittling them in the most politically incorrect ways. They only think I'm teasing the dogs. :colbert:

CATS

I scoop the catboxes every three or four days. I think I've only taken the litter out and actually washed the thing with soap and water... once. Yeah.

The cats don't go to the vet unless something is wrong. The last time they went to the vet was because of a flea infestation and I needed Vectra, and figured I might as well get them both up to date on shots and microchipped since I was there and paying.

I've tripped over and/or outright punted both cats and the dog by accident many, many times. Sorry, furballs, but don't hide in the dark and trip me on my way up the stairs and maybe I won't kick you, hmm?

I let Penelope lick the bowl after I have rice, mac & cheese, ice cream, or cereal.

EVERYBODY

I poke both the cats and dog to annoy them. They also get their ears and paws grabbed and held, and if they yawn, you better belive they're getting a finger in the mouth. :keke:

Both cats and dog get farted on if they're within range or under blankets with me. Strangely enough, only the dog and the boyfriend get scandalized looks on their faces; the cats either sniff and make a disgusted face and look away or dart out of the room at top speed, depending on the quality of the fart.

Payback's a bitch, you furry bastards. :colbert:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

daggerdragon posted:

I de-landmine the yard about four times a year because I don't go out there, so why do I care?

I'm so bad about cleaning the yard. :cripes: I usually clean it once or twice a week, but it's absolutely tiny and all cement. In the summer I should really clean up every time the dogs go out but holy hell it's just so much effort.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I like to just barely brush my finger against my cat's back fur so it makes his whole skin ripple. I like to do this until he turns around to see wtf I'm doing and I don't stop until he gets up and leaves. Then I lure him back with proper petting and get him comfortable and then repeat until I get bored.

I also don't scoop as much as I should. Blue Naturally Fresh is a wonderful litter.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
If I didn't own the rats with my partner, I would have one of them put down. I don't like her at all, and it would mean we have ratspace for a pretty neutered boy rat. :sigh: As it is, she still lives a the rat life of luxury and everything, even if she's a mean weirdo spaz who doesn't appreciate it.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I poke my cats with knitting needles. I also let them play with the non-pointy ends. Then I yell at them for batting at my needles when I'm knitting.

We scoop litter MAYBE twice a week. We have 3 cats + 3 boxes. They're giant boxes, though. Sometimes I scoop the two uncovered boxes and don't do the covered one because it's in another room and not by the litter trashcan and :effort:.

When Ramona eats too fast she pukes up whole pieces of dry food. I let her eat it because she desperately wants to, I hate dealing with nasty catbarf, and Orijen is expensive, damnit.

I verbally abuse the boys. I sing the '3 Hams Will Thrill Him' song from the Brak Show to Frank because he loves ham and is fat and 3 hams WOULD thrill him (and also probably kill him). This morning I told Iggy we were going to have him made into a furry hat and Lucky Iggy-Foot Keychain and give them to my husband's father for Christmas.

Last week I opened the oven to take something out. When I went to close it, I didn't notice Frank's head and I smacked him in the nose with the hot oven door (he had stuck his head over the door to sniff something). Afterwards I held him down and stuck a cold washcloth with an ice cube in it to his face, which was apparently more traumatic than getting hit with the door. He never got a mark or a scab, though, so I'm hoping the door had cooled enough or maybe just the rubber seal hit him instead.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Every time Koji yawns, I have to disrupt it by pushing the large black freckle on his tongue like a button.

I like to tease my dog with food because the reactions he goes through to figure out what the gently caress I want/how he can steal it from me anyway are just too funny.

A volunteer with us just bought a pet store Shiba (after I told her in so many words to not and that she was being duped by a sob story.) I am extremely jealous because it's a Black and Tan. :saddowns:

I literally wish sometimes I would wake up and find my current foster has died in the middle of the night, I hate that dog that much. Good thing she goes home tomorrow.

I never took the "homeless", obviously suffering stray that lived in my in-law's back yard for years to the vet. They fed it, gave it water, and would set up a fan or a heater for it depending on the weather. I don't feel bad about it. We think it died somewhere, it's been gone for half a year.

We actively encourage Koji to raise his lip/nip at my husband's face when we mess with him too much and get all up in his grill. Again, we think it's funny and always give him pets and toss the toy for him after. He is not allowed to do it to me, though. :v:

I like to disturb Koji when he is sleeping on our bed or the couch by yelling "BUBBAS!!" And flopping on top of him and making large kissy sounds on his nose.

I hate schnauzers.

On that note: I love dogs. I don't always love your dog. In fact, I'm kind of a breedist and can't stand needy dogs, rude dogs, ugly dogs, dogs with hair instead of fur, and greasy dogs.

Owning and rescuing Shibas sometimes makes me feel like a special snowflake badass to people who can't handle them. :colbert:

I hate hearing the "I could never foster, I'd want to keep them all" line.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Nione posted:

I poke my cats with knitting needles.

I poke my cat in the face with his own shed whiskers.

I also play a game where I try to sneak as much kibble as possible into the fur on his back, tick style, whenever he circles me begging for food. His skin twitches like a stormy sea until he sits down and the kibble-ticks fall out.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I encourage Shelby's insane greeting behavior. At least she is smart enough to know that she can only do it to me. Its just so awesome to have a dog flipping its poo poo in excitement when it sees you. I tell her to wait and she sits there vibrating like she is having a seizure, and whining like a hyena. Then goes still and silent, staring at me in incomprehensible anticipation. Then I release her and she launches her self at me, jumping into the air to lick my face. Zooming around me and doing it all over again. Then she flops over and I rub her belly. Sure I have scars, but chicks dig scars right?

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*

paisleyfox posted:

On that note: I love dogs. I don't always love your dog. In fact, I'm kind of a breedist and can't stand needy dogs, rude dogs, ugly dogs, dogs with hair instead of fur, and greasy dogs.
I am very dog-racist. I am also a huge hypocrite because I can't stand dogs that don't have some semblance of training and self-control, so when your dog leaps on me when I walk in and I ignore it or actively 'discipline' it (like yell at its face) don't get mad at me, I just think your drat dog should know better. Yet Diaz has like, zero recall and I just give no real fucks because she's always on-leash and she has enough recall for me to stop her when she starts to run off and.. :effort: I'm a terrible pet owner.

I never posted about this but like years and years ago I had two gerbils I would let play on the floor while I sat there and trained them to come when called. They loved it, I had a white one named Adolf and a black one named Schindler (I had ... issues naming pets). One day I got up and looked all over to make sure I wouldn't step on anyone while I walked over the barrier back into the room and Schindler came running up to me and under my foot..and I stepped on and probably broke his pelvis/spine. I was so horrified I made my boyfriend go put him back and called vets but it was after midnight and the next day was Labor Day and I don't remember if I even had a car to use to take him to an emergency vet to get euthed...he died during the night and I got reamed for it on some LJ pet snark community because I waited like 3 days to make another post after a hurried "OMG WHAT DO I DO poo poo gently caress" post and people thought I actually did nothing for 3 days. I still feel sick and very guilty when I think about poor Schindler. :C He was super sweet for a gerbil. I'm sorry, little broken gerblie.

I also sometimes ignore Diaz when she wants to go out and she ends up waiting and I feel like a big fat lazy jerk when I think about it because she is clearly giving me "wanna go out" signals and when I don't get up right away she'll go lay down and wait all patiently for me like a Good Dog when she shouldn't have to.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like to hold onto Simon's tail as he walks by because it's always stiffly up and he makes a high pitched meow whenever someone touches his tail.

Alex likes to lean against me with his back to me. I'll poke his back cause I like the little "brrt!" meows he does whenever I do. Sometimes though he'll wander around the house making that noise for 20 minutes straight and I'll yell at him because it's annoying. Only meow when I want it!

Both Simon and Alex will try to get my attention when I'm at the computer. Simon will walk back and forth rubbing against my legs (he's doing this right now), and Alex will put his front paws on my leg and nudge against my arm. Sometimes I encourage this by petting them, because they're soft and it's cute, but sometimes it's like "Goddamnit stop touching me" and I'll push or kick them away. I send so many mixed signals.

Here is a video of Alex doing it that I took with a potato. http://youtu.be/-zr3l66zNhE

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Asstro Van posted:

I also play a game where I try to sneak as much kibble as possible into the fur on his back, tick style, whenever he circles me begging for food. His skin twitches like a stormy sea until he sits down and the kibble-ticks fall out.
This is great and makes me want to own a cat so I can do it too.

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
My Jindo always listens when we let the dogs outside and we ask them to come back in. She'll run right in, no problem. Aggro (Malamute/Husky), though, nope. We usually have to shake a jar full of jerky, and then he'll get excited and dash in.

We let them out tonight, they do their business, and my husband says, "Go inside, let's get some Beggin'!" (even though it's jerky.) We realize the jar is empty, but they go inside anyway. We close the door, and stand outside to talk and Aggro barks at us for a solid two minutes. I'm pretty sure he was saying, "You jerk! You promised!" They got cheese instead later.

Ashamee fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 1, 2012

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

I am the biggest dog racist. If it is is not a primitive breed I don't want it. If I can punt it then it is not a dog.

I actively loathe terriers.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I like to fold Koji's ears backwards so they stay and watch him get ever so slightly annoyed, but not enough that he wants to show it. Because then he'll sit there, and twitch his inside out ears to right them but stay perfectly still otherwise.

I also like to pull on dog cheeks because they are stretchy.

I hate the smell of dog shampoo so I'm glad I have a dog that's a huge princess about dirt. I like the way he smells when he's slightly musky, because I think he smells a little like rats in that sweet sandalwood kind of way.

I use my dog as an excuse to leave social gatherings I don't want to stay long at/go to.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I'm pretty obnoxiously dog racist too and reactively wrinkle my nose at like every dog I see and then I feel bad about it. Really I think it's more that I pass judgements about people based on the type of dog they own and how their dog looks and I know that's really dumb. I don't ever want to pet anyones dog unless I see someone with a really nice pibble and then I will go up and feel them out to see if they can have dogchat- nice pibbles with people who know about them aren't uncommon around here so I do get to have some nice conversations every once in a while.

But I spend the majority of my pet store trips rolling my eyes and stepping around people's dogs and I am sure no one notices but if they did, I would look like a giant douche.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
When people leave their dogs tied in the yard to boredom-bark while they go to work for the day, I sometimes secretly hope that the person who poisoned the neighbors' yard dogs a few years ago will make a stop at their house. It's not that I want yard dogs dead; I'm just sick of listening to them bark all day, and they aren't my pets so I don't care what happens to them.

I picked a cat-aggressive cat over another, cat-friendly Russian blue mutt primarily because I wanted an excuse not to get two cats.

My reasons for scooping the box daily aren't out of concern for my cat's comfort but because I can usually smell it if I'm in someone's house and they don't scoop very frequently. Like on Hoarders: just because the person living immersed in the odor can't smell it anymore doesn't mean that visitors can't. I don't want to be A Person Whose Home Smells Like Cat poo poo.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fraction posted:

I'm so bad about cleaning the yard. :cripes: I usually clean it once or twice a week, but it's absolutely tiny and all cement. In the summer I should really clean up every time the dogs go out but holy hell it's just so much effort.

You guys clean up the poop in your yards?

I guess that should be my confession then, I have literally never cleaned up poop in my own backyard. When my friends who have small non-grassy yards come over they sometimes bag up their dog's poop, and I always feel bad for not telling them in advance that they don't have to.

My yard isn't huge, but it's big enough and grassy enough that I don't worry about it. Plus Husker tends to do all his business in the back corner near the fenceline anyway.

The other area where I've been slacking is with handling the rats. I've been remiss about taking Mordin out because he really just seems to want to run in the wheel all the time. He tolerates being held, but he doesn't really enjoy it. Garrus gets taken out occasionally for shoulder rides, and Joker gets a lot of cuddles in the crook of my elbow (can't trust him on my shoulder, he's a jumper), but I should probably be handling all of them more often. It just doesn't seem like as much of a priority now that they accept handling without protest.

They eat better than we do though :colbert:

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I'm glad it's raining and the grass is starting to grow again, because it makes it easier to ignore just how much dog poo poo is laying out in the yard.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I'm judging you all for your filthy poopyards.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

I'm pretty obnoxiously dog racist too and reactively wrinkle my nose at like every dog I see and then I feel bad about it. Really I think it's more that I pass judgements about people based on the type of dog they own and how their dog looks and I know that's really dumb.

Judge me for my deaf retarded Toller please just for comedy tell me what you would think IRL :v:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Topoisomerase posted:

Judge me for my deaf retarded Toller please just for comedy tell me what you would think IRL :v:

Honestly I looked at a dog in the shelter who was on phenobarbital for seizures and I didn't adopt him because a) he was stoned as gently caress and just didn't seem interested in anything b) medication past the usual flea and tick and heart worm meds can get expensive fast and c) my dad had a dog growing up that had seizures and he always was really upset talking about it so I decided I couldn't handle it.

I have no idea how you cope.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Topoisomerase posted:

I'm pretty sure your deaf retarded Toller is awesome as poo poo and I wanna snuggle dat dog. :colbert:

Also I hate small dogs, I really do. I want to punt my aunts stupid chi mutt across the earth. But I love Feldman, so so much. It doesn't make sense but it's true!

I daydream about having a place I could have a bunch of big dogs, and how I'd have the inside set up for them. I've picked out names for the dogs and everything. :tinfoil:

edit: The daydream includes NO small dogs at all.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Topoisomerase posted:

I've never met or seen a toller irl so if I saw one I would probably just assume it was some kind of boring mutt and ignore it but if I knew it was actually a toller I would tell people I saw a toller today but I wouldn't ask you questions about it because I'd assume you were a dumbass and got it to be ~unique~ and don't do anything cool with it and then when you told me it was deaf I'd tack "rescue martyr" on the end of my mental judgement of you and say "Well she seems like a nice dog" and leave whilst rolling mine eyes

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I get really goony nerdrage about ~'doodles~ and ~'poos~ and any other designer breed, to the point where my friends like to poke fun at me about it.

I also play favourites with my friends' dogs. Driveless dogs make me want to strangle everyone ever. Maybe this is why I actively dislike smaller (below "Jack Russell terrier sized") dogs and a lot of big ol' mutts. vOv I think that's also why me and Jess don't get along too well.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraction posted:

I get really goony nerdrage about ~'doodles~ and ~'poos~ and any other designer breed, to the point where my friends like to poke fun at me about it.

I am insufferable about this to the point of "Oh, you mean that cute mutt over there?" kind of poo poo. Husband thinks it's hilarious I get all angry about it so fast.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

whilst rolling mine eyes

Ahahaha the "whilst" and "mine" makes this perfect.

I just banished Sigma from the computer room because as I was stepping over him he lifted his head so I could perfectly kick him in the face. I feel guilty which is clearly his fault, so he isn't welcome here anymore :colbert:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Superconsndar posted:

I've never met or seen a toller irl so if I saw one I would probably just assume it was some kind of boring mutt and ignore it but if I knew it was actually a toller I would tell people I saw a toller today but I wouldn't ask you questions about it because I'd assume you were a dumbass and got it to be ~unique~ and don't do anything cool with it and then when you told me it was deaf I'd tack "rescue martyr" on the end of my mental judgement of you and say "Well she seems like a nice dog" and leave whilst rolling mine eyes

Haha this is exactly what I thought when I met someone with three tollers.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

My parents (generally good dog owners, the dogs are vetted, spoiled rotten, and pretty well taken care of) are not interested in learning about clicker training any of their dogs (or any purely +R based training) including one dog who has a very very soft temperament and is not food motivated at all and a Pomeranian who hates being picked up (she's been vet checked, its not a health issues).

Of course this means I sperg out every time I go home and my dad calls me a "dog social engineer". I get really mad that my dad thinks the Pom not wanting to be picked up is a dominance issue- she's small and he's like very tall. I've tried to say she's scared and uncomfortable but no, the most logical explanation is that an animal that prefers to spend most of its time being left the gently caress alone is angry and trying to move up in the pecking order over something maybe 50x her size. My parents just think I'm a crazy dog lady, and they show dogs, so I guess they'd know.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have an irrational hatred of tollers, which is totally not fair to the breed at all, because they are very nice dogs and a very pretty colour, but a relative of mine breeds them and travels with at least five of them and she is generally insane, judgmental, and not a nice person. At all.

She's kind of ruined them for me.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I hate Huskies largely because of a short-lived friendship with someone who was a backyard breeder of said Huskies.

I'm also very judgmental of people who can't properly identify breeds, due to spending my rear end in a top hat high school years on a team that had to properly ID small animal breeds. I argued my way OUT of a placing one year, but I still felt justified because the rear end in a top hat running the competition was WRONG. :smug:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I really like huskies but I have a kneejerk hate reflex for huskie breeders and lovely owners. Half the local shelter dogs are Huskies around here (Northernish Ontario, Canada) since they're cute enough that people get them without researching them and they require far more effort than most people around here will put into a dog.

I have a neighbour who just keeps his locked up in the backyard with 10 foot chainlink fences all loving day. It constantly escapes and runs around because it's so goddamned bored. Lazy people should get lazy dogs, which is why I have a greyhound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

wtftastic posted:

Honestly I looked at a dog in the shelter who was on phenobarbital for seizures and I didn't adopt him because a) he was stoned as gently caress and just didn't seem interested in anything b) medication past the usual flea and tick and heart worm meds can get expensive fast and c) my dad had a dog growing up that had seizures and he always was really upset talking about it so I decided I couldn't handle it.

She's not on anti-seizure meds. Her seizures are infrequent enough that her neurologist (who's also a mentor of mine, of sorts) and I have discussed the merits and drawbacks at length and I'm basically going to wait and see what her baseline frequency tends to be and make decisions based on changes in that.

Superconsndar posted:

haha people usually notice that she 'prances' and has head tremors so it's pretty immediately obvious that she is retarded too so you would extra "rescue martyr heh" me and my dumb dog.

but it's okay because if I saw you out with Frankie I'd have the "ugh look at that disgusting trainwreck smashface thing I bet it smells loving awful" response anyway I judge people by their dogs too

edit: Actually I hate it when people ask what breed my dog is because by the time I manage to spit out "Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever" I've already lost them so I usually just say "a Canadian retrieving breed" and leave it at that.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 2, 2012

• Locked thread