Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for a Nintendo Channel outing! In season one Arino played Star Force and only beat it with the help of the brand new AD Toujima and Master Takahashi. That was only the Famicom version; can he destroy Larios in the arcade version of Star Force on his own?

This episode is brought to you by a brand new translator to the team. Welcome RoninDRE to ranks!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 94.23 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Welcome to the team DRE. You will now be tested in the most fitting ways. First up, let's see how far you can get in two hours in Takeshi's Castle. No, there will be no breaks either. :colbert:

[Sweet, new GCCX. Thanks.]

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I really like these Nintnedo Channel episodes since they're short enough to watch before going to bed, and the fact that I haven't seen all but one of these untranslated (the only one was 3D Classics ExciteBike) means I'm also getting new GCCX in my system. :)

Random Stranger posted:

This episode is brought to you by a brand new translator to the team. Welcome RoninDRE to ranks!
Even though I'm not part of the team, welcome to the team RoninDRE! You did an awesome job on this episode and I can't wait to see your future work. :)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I'm so happy we finally have a new translator on the team. I'm the one who checked over his translation and I can safely say this guy's Japanese comprehension is really solid. Instant approval.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

While this has nothing to do with the new episode, I think people will want to see this:

http://www.twitch.tv/bazza87/b/343508389

Skip to 1:18:20.

Also, you should haze the new guy by making him do all of your most hated challenges.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/bazza87/b/343747593 1:21:20 for a tag team match :v:

Novasol fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 1, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Novasol posted:

While this has nothing to do with the new episode, I think people will want to see this:

I watched one of their Royal Rumbles live the other day and Arino was in that too. I couldn't help but keep thinking they made him too small... But watching him choke the hell out of Protoman was definitely something.

Novasol posted:

Also, you should haze the new guy by making him do all of your most hated challenges.

Well he is doing Princess Tomato next, but he chose that himself!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I watched one of their Royal Rumbles live the other day and Arino was in that too. I couldn't help but keep thinking they made him too small... But watching him choke the hell out of Protoman was definitely something.

Well he is doing Princess Tomato next, but he chose that himself!

I saw Arino's debut, and it was a Royal Rumble. He was eliminated within 10 seconds.

Also, he chose Princess Tomato? I take back my hazing comment, as I don't think you could inflict worse on him,

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Knowing that we have PaRappa The Rapper, DKC, and Princess Tomato to look forward to makes me very excited and anxious to see the subs for these episodes. Can't wait!

After watching the VC Starforce special, it made me want to rewatch the original Starforce challenge.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Novasol posted:

I was kinda hoping for an Inoko MAX run-in.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Novasol posted:

Also, he chose Princess Tomato? I take back my hazing comment, as I don't think you could inflict worse on him,
Oh, come on. I watched the Princess Tomato challenge, and translation-wise it doesn't look that bad. Especially when compared to, say, a quiz episode.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's a bad episode.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012
haha, I was just watching Gintama episode 219 and around 9mins in they show Super Monkey Adventure. Zura was trying to give it to someone as a way of apologizing. I never would have appreciated this as I do now thanks to GCCX and the SAGCCX team.

Just wanted to share this tidbid. The show references a lot of old video game history in it and not all of it is localized. Love it :-)

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Mister Chief posted:

It's a bad episode.

I'd say it's less of a bad episode of the show, and more a cute-but-tedious game they showed. It does make me wonder more about the classic prompt-input version of Princess Tomato, though.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I found this interesting. Itou, a former Game Center CX producer, just became mayor of Kuwana City (Mie Prefecture) at the age of 36.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is he a gamer?

He'll probably at least know not to cut back on road funding

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Stefan Prodan posted:

He'll probably at least know not to cut back on road funding

On the other hand, he might just burn the entire treasury, lower the tax rate to 0 in December, and try jacking it up as high as he can the moment January rolls around.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos
So me an my friends are actually getting around to watching some of the none DVD release episodes... And I have to say that the Link to the Past episode was really disappointing. It was more of a montage of Arino fighting the bosses then anything. I guess this is what I get for watching probably some of the best episodes from the DVD.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

So me an my friends are actually getting around to watching some of the none DVD release episodes... And I have to say that the Link to the Past episode was really disappointing. It was more of a montage of Arino fighting the bosses then anything. I guess this is what I get for watching probably some of the best episodes from the DVD.

Heres the best of the best, in my humble opinion:

Tokimemi Memorial - Probably the opposite of your LTTP complaint. I went in thinking that a dating sim would be boring because it would just be Arino reading a bunch of text, but it turned out to be one of the best episodes made. Its just funny throughout, especially when the crew asks Arino for tips on love.

Prince of Persia - Nostalgia Factor probably is a big reason why I like this one so much, but PoP is a great game and its fun to watch Arino get into it.

Umihara Kawase - One of the episodes where the game in question was never released stateside, so you get a look into a pretty bizzare game youve never seen before with some interesting platforming mechanics. I liked Shadow Lands for the same reason, except Shadow Lands was a pretty bog standard platform game.

Battletoads - Cmon, its Battletoads.

Quiz Episodes - Lots of crew interaction always makes for a good game. If I had to rank them, Id say it was a close three way tie between Capcom Adventure Quiz, Feudal Lords Ambition, and Quiz My Angel (Id probably put Hatena Capcom at the top), with Yuyuu way down at 4th place.

Densha De Go! - Another crew interaction episode, everyones playing a train sim.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 3, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I found this interesting. Itou, a former Game Center CX producer, just became mayor of Kuwana City (Mie Prefecture) at the age of 36.

I suspect that he was a producer for a pretty short time. I just did a quick scan of episode credits and couldn't find his name as the producer for any given season. It may be that he was only there for a few episodes and my ad-hoc checking was just skipping the ones he worked on. Or it could be I'm just missing his name...

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Honestly, the Zelda episodes are among the worst of the series. That's a bit of a problem since people gravitate toward the games they know best when they want to watch an episode...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I suspect that he was a producer for a pretty short time. I just did a quick scan of episode credits and couldn't find his name as the producer for any given season. It may be that he was only there for a few episodes and my ad-hoc checking was just skipping the ones he worked on. Or it could be I'm just missing his name...

He was a producer in Season 2, I believe. He's in the credits for the first DVD set. Kan mentions on his twitter that Itou was the second producer.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 3, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Now this is one buddy cop movie Id watch. Id almost feel bad for the perp in the interrogation room.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

He was a producer in Season 2, I believe. He's in the credits for the first DVD set. Kan mentions on his twitter that Itou was the second producer.

I didn't go back that far because I thought, "He'd have been 27. Toujima didn't get to be AP until he was 30..."

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Heres the best of the best, in my humble opinion:

Paris Dakar Rally deserves a spot on that list, because it's both excruciatingly hard and becomes ridiculously surreal as the game goes on.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Vermain posted:

Paris Dakar Rally deserves a spot on that list, because it's both excruciatingly hard and becomes ridiculously surreal as the game goes on.

Another one I didnt think of until just now:

First Samurai - Theres no reason why I like this one other than Arino going "mondo!" over and over, and making dragon noises during the first boss. Mondo!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

On the other hand, he might just burn the entire treasury, lower the tax rate to 0 in December, and try jacking it up as high as he can the moment January rolls around.
And yet that would beat the pants off of the rest of Japan's economical policies by virtue of it trying something new.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I like the episodes where Arino... well, sort of "interacts" with the game as if it were real and injects his own narrative rather than dying to a super tough boss over and over constantly.

With that as a criteria, here's some of the episodes which I thought were the best.

Tokimeki Memorial
Clock Tower
Night of Sickle Weasel
CR Quiz
Go By Train.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Davzz posted:

I like the episodes where Arino... well, sort of "interacts" with the game as if it were real and injects his own narrative rather than dying to a super tough boss over and over constantly.

With that as a criteria, here's some of the episodes which I thought were the best.

Tokimeki Memorial
Clock Tower
Night of Sickle Weasel
CR Quiz
Go By Train.
Does that bit in the first lemmings challenge where he starts naming the blocker lemmings who can't be saved after ADs count? Cause if so, that. That is just magical :allears:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Davzz posted:

I have a similar preference -- episodes where Arino talks to/yells at the game characters. S.O.S., Pac-Man 2, Adventure Island, Act Raiser.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

The White Dragon posted:

Once he gets all that money, he can tear up all the roads and go 100% rail. Though I don't know how well police and fire stations will do being surrounded on all sides by buildings...

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
The Karateka modern remake just released on Steam today. Looks like a fun game to try out. I have read a few times on the board of GCCX trying to get permission to challenge the game. After watching some videos of the original Karateka game, I too want to see Arino play the classic Famicom version. I plan on buying the remake. Has anyone played the Famicom version and is also planning to get the remake on Steam. Can people give me their first impressions on the Famicom version or other earlier ports. I'll post my thoughts on the modern remake after I play it for a bit.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/217270/

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

FireCar posted:

Once he gets all that money, he can tear up all the roads and go 100% rail. Though I don't know how well police and fire stations will do being surrounded on all sides by buildings...

Now I've got a hankering to see Arino play a mini-sode of Sim-City 2000.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There's one thing that keeps bothering me. Who's the guy in the staff that keeps laughing at most of Arino's jokes? He's always goin' "WAHAHA" with a really audible laugh in the background.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

There's one thing that keeps bothering me. Who's the guy in the staff that keeps laughing at most of Arino's jokes? He's always goin' "WAHAHA" with a really audible laugh in the background.

Director Fujimoto.

Random Stranger, I seriously think this should go in the FAQ.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Wahaha! Sorry for being lazy. I was just watching the Bio Miracle episode and he's all over the place. Back a bit there was discussion about those episodes where Arino scolds the characters and I've always liked this one where he goes "Watch out, kid!" It's also a game with a great BGM. Would've been a great addition in that GCCX piano medley.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

Wahaha! Sorry for being lazy. I was just watching the Bio Miracle episode and he's all over the place. Back a bit there was discussion about those episodes where Arino scolds the characters and I've always liked this one where he goes "Watch out, kid!" It's also a game with a great BGM. Would've been a great addition in that GCCX piano medley.

It's not laziness -- there's really no way to find out unless you've watched way too many GCCX-related stuff like I have. I see people wondering the same thing a lot so I think it should go in the FAQ.

You're right, I forgot about Bio Miracle. That's a good yelling-at-character ep.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Was Super Ghouls'n Ghosts taken down? It's not linked in the OP.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

AnotherGamer posted:

Was Super Ghouls'n Ghosts taken down? It's not linked in the OP.
It's still being hosted, you can find the post on page 239

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3452856&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=223#post409230283

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally watched the S.O.S. episode from the DVD last night. Once again I'm impressed by Arino's patience; I would have come perilously close to smashing something trying to play that and watching the other NPCs struggle. Yikes.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of S.O.S. on the DVD. Am I crazy or were there more scenes in it? That one and Clock Tower felt a little longer to me but then again I haven't seen them since they were posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mayor McCheese posted:

Speaking of S.O.S. on the DVD. Am I crazy or were there more scenes in it? That one and Clock Tower felt a little longer to me but then again I haven't seen them since they were posted.

Thats what Ive heard, but I haven't watched any of the DVD episodes that Ive already seen so I cant tell you for sure.

Basically, Im completly ignorant on the subject, but I feel compelled to answer anyway.